Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd February 2014, 09:59   #151

It's been 5 months since I bought the Ray Z . Puts a smile on my face each time I ride it. The engine feels a lot more free revving after a couple of services with oil change done once. The tyres too feel grippy and the brakes give you confidence . The handlebar feels nimble and makes riding it in traffic very easy. One of my best purchases till date 😀
liv2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 11:21   #152

Default Re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Ray owners in Bangalore! Which dealer do you recommend?

I stay in BSK and visited MSP moto world for a TD and quote. I have not heard great reviews about their servicing.

I have zeroed down on the Ray white edition for my wife. I hope to ride it more often too.

Couple of questions:
  • What is the average expenses for every service?
  • How good is the MSP moto world service center?
-Raptor
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 13:47   #153

I own an Fz16 which I booked a MSP. I get it serviced there too. Haven't had any problems as such over there except for the waiting period for the bike. Other than that I thought it was pretty okay.
SidVenugopal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 21:25   #154
BHPian

Yesterday, we got the 8th Service completed on the Ray. The bill details are as follows:

Engine Oil: 255.00
Consumables: 67.00
Service Charges: 400:00
Taxes: 90.00
Discount: 28.00
Total: 780.00

The Ray feels totally smoothened out now. I have covered 11,000kms on it as of now.

The mileage has been consistently at 41 kms per litre under various riding and traffic conditions.

Happy Raying!
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 14:42   #155
BHPian

Today, we got the 9th Bonus Service completed on the Ray at 12901kms on the odo.

The bill details are as follows:
Engine Oil: 255.00
Consumables: 75:00
Air filter: 160.00
Total: 490.00

The mileage continues to be 41kms per litre.

I love the scooter even more now than when I just bought it with mixed feelings as it was new in the market.

Its serving us well and hope it continues to serve us well.

Happy Raying!
Old 29th May 2014, 16:56   #156
BHPian

Yesterday afternoon the speedometer of our Ray stopped working. I was about 25kms away from the nearest service center. Later in the evening I stopped by a service center and got the scooter checked. The service guy informed me that the worm gear of the speedo needs to be replaced and that it was out of stock. He asked me to return after 2 days.

The next day, I stopped by pacer yamaha and they looked into the issue and fixed it in 5 minutes. They said some dirt had got stuck in the worm gear and that it was fixed by blowing compressed air into the gear.

I surely have covered about 60 to 65 kms over the past day and a half which has not been recorded on the odometer.

Nevertheless the issue has been fixed

Happy Raying!
Old 10th June 2014, 18:08   #157
BHPian

The speedometer gave way again and stopped working. I visited Perfect Riders and they said that the worm is out of stock and will require a couple of days to arrange for it.

As I couldn't manage seeing the speedometer needle at zero all the time, I rode to Pacer Yamaha and they immediately took the Ray in, checked it and informed me that the worm gear is absolutely fine, the fault was with the speedometer cable.

They replaced the speedometer cable and its now working fine. I again have covered about 50 to 60kms that has not been captured on the odometer.

So in all my odometer reading is now behind by 120 to 125 kms. I'm happy the problem has been fixed.

Happy Raying!
Old 20th June 2014, 12:06   #158
BHPian

Thankyou Yikes for the detailed ownership report. I had tested the vespa, dio and the ray for myself. The vespa was the first one to go out. This modern vespa didn't appeal like our old vespa scooter. One of our relatives has bought it and I get to ride it often. The engine though with three valves, sounds coarse and unrefined. I wonder how people call this engine sound as sporty? That left me with the dio and ray. I must add here that my previous disaster of an ownership of the KH made me blindly choose honda over yamaha (I won't say dio over the ray) just for long term reliability.

So, after having tested both these scooters sufficiently and owning the dio for past few weeks, I can confidently claim that Ray is far more superior than the dio. Inside out the Ray is made very thoughtfully, be it dynamics or power delivery. Short heighted-small handle, low placed seat and the seat to handle bar distance is very well thought and more scientific in the ray. Riding the dio in traffic is not as easy as the ray. Front of the dio feels more bulky while riding, also its not as confidence inspiring as the ray. Sitting on the ray you feel connected to the road whereas the high foot board and seat on the dio robs the feel. Ray also trumps the dio in performance. Who needs the top whack in a gearless scooter? Power in the ray comes from the word go while the dio takes its own sweet time, meanwhile the ray leaves the dio in dust. Claims of 80-90kmph top speed of gearless scooters is practically useless for most buyers. Ray delivers performance where it matters the most. No, that doesn't means that the dio is a bad scooter, it has its positives too, but the zip-zap-zoom Ray a bit more motoscoot than the dio.

This thread has become the trusted place where people who are confused with the dio and ray often visit for suggestions. Keep up the good work Yikes. Future buyers don't hesitate to go for the Ray, or else you may miss the fun as I missed it. Owners enjoy your ray, Hurray!
prokinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 12:17   #159
BHPian

This morning I stepped down to drop my son at the bus stop for school and to my dismay the Ray had a flat rear tyre. I quickly rushed up and got the keys of our Activa and dropped him off.

I returned home thinking, that I would remove the rear wheel and take it to a puncture shop to fix it, instead of pushing 108kgs all the way to the puncture shop.

I removed the tool kit to remove the wheel and to my horror realized that the tools provided by Yamaha are of no use as none of the spanners and the wheel nut spanner are of incorrect size and are of absolutely no use.

I was wondering, if any other Ray owners have the same dilemma with the provided tool kit or is it just me.

I was one of the very early birds to pick up the Ray and was thinking, what if Yamaha has handed me a tool kit of one of the other bikes that they sell in the market, mistakenly instead of the one for the Ray.

Assuming that Yamaha has handed me the incorrect tool kit, can I do anything now?

Please share your thoughts and expertise and also if your tool kits are useful or useless like mine.
Old 16th July 2014, 10:11   #160
BHPian

Yesterday, I got the Ray serviced at 14820kms on the odo. I have shared earlier that due to the speedo not working, there is a discrepancy of 120+ kms.

This is the 10th scheduled service.
Paid service charges: 400.00
Consumables:75.00
Yamalube Oil: 240.00
Taxes:74.00
Total: 789.00

Thus far, the Ray is sailing fine. There is however one concern that I have observed. When I open the throttle there is a slight squeaking sound from the bottom left engine bay (the enclosure hosting the belt). Not sure if the belt is loose and slipping or the clutch plates need to be replaced.

I did request the service advisor to look into this and nothing has been done about it.

Please let me know what could be the issue and how do I get this resolved.
Old 16th July 2014, 11:35   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
There is however one concern that I have observed. When I open the throttle there is a slight squeaking sound from the bottom left engine bay (the enclosure hosting the belt). Not sure if the belt is loose and slipping or the clutch plates need to be replaced.
If its the squeaking sound, culprit should ideally be the belt. Either lose or premature wear. If its a clutch issue, you will surely face other symptoms too, jerking when accelerating, bike trying to move on its own accord when at stand still etc. If none of these are present, then it should be the belt.

A quick query, any reason why you're sticking to ASC for paid service. Is the ASC that you are visiting very good or is it for warranty sakes?
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 12:54   #162
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
I removed the tool kit to remove the wheel and to my horror realized that the tools provided by Yamaha are of no use as none of the spanners and the wheel nut spanner are of incorrect size and are of absolutely no use.
Atleast in your case you had the tool kit. For my Activa the tool kit is long gone missing, there is a special slot for the same which is now empty. I brought this to the service centre's attention long time back but they flatly denied knowing the whereabouts of the same. So now I keep a spare adjustable spanner and phillips/flat screw driver set.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 14:08   #163
BHPian

A quick query, any reason why you're sticking to ASC for paid service. Is the ASC that you are visiting very good or is it for warranty sakes?[/quote]

Its only for the sake of Warranty.

@godhlur - On the tool kit, it seems you are in a worse scenario not getting the tool kit. I shall keep an adjustable spanner too.
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:28   #164
BHPian

Just logged in TeamBHP after a very long time. My Ray has completed just about 800 kms after more than a year of ownership . Due to unavoidable circumstances, I haven't been able to use it much and I stopped the timely services with ASC after the 4th service,due to lack of time. Inspite of not using it much, it still manages to start with one kick. And with the onset of Mumbai rains, my usage is again going to drop.
One of the coming weekends, I plan to take it to the ASC for a service.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 14:59   #165
BHPian

Model: Yamaha Ray 2012

Issue: Brake light switch malfunctions.

ASS Solution:
- Remove, Clean, Re-fitment.
- Replacement.

Frequency:
- Replacement : Once.
- Remove, Clean, Re-fitment : At every scheduled service.

User observations:
- Brake lever is depressed only when its required.
- Hands aren't rested on brake levers while riding.

Has someone faced this issue? if yes, what was the permanent solution offered?

Thanks in advance.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote