Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th March 2013, 22:17   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha Ray Ownership Review. A ray of hope

Just picked up a Ray for my wife. Rode it close to 30kms today.
I was under the assumption that gearless scooters were boring to ride, but surprise, the Ray is really smooth and peppy. One interesting observation is that the dynamics of the scoot does not seem to get affected when riding with a pillion, it handled beautifully in corners and slow traffic. The only downer as of now is the cheap looking instrument cluster.

Overall satisfied with the Ray. Cheers to yikes6633 for this thread
sarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 19:59   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath View Post
Just picked up a Ray for my wife. Rode it close to 30kms today.
I was under the assumption that gearless scooters were boring to ride, but surprise, the Ray is really smooth and peppy. One interesting observation is that the dynamics of the scoot does not seem to get affected when riding with a pillion, it handled beautifully in corners and slow traffic. The only downer as of now is the cheap looking instrument cluster.

Overall satisfied with the Ray. Cheers to yikes6633 for this thread
Congrats! Sarath, happy Raying
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 14:58   #108
BHPian

Today, I completed the 3rd free service of my Ray at 4500kms on the odo. The service costed me Rs. 290/- (oil, a bulb and consumables).

The Ray is smooth and ever so peppy. It has consistently returned a mileage of 41kms/ltr.

The only annoying thing is that there is a lot of noise at the seat lock hook. I have tried fixing this many a times by rolling on some insulation tape. The noise is temporarily taken care off. However with the number of times we use the storage space under the seat the insulation wears off and the irritating sound resumes.

Does anyone have a solution or a remedy or suggestion to fix this irritating sound permanently? (With a pillion the seat lock and hook has no room to vibrate or produce the irritating sound)
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 17:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
The only annoying thing is that there is a lot of noise at the seat lock hook. I have tried fixing this many a times by rolling on some insulation tape. The noise is temporarily taken care off. However with the number of times we use the storage space under the seat the insulation wears off and the irritating sound resumes.
The seat usually sits on rubber bush like things. It's possible the ones your your vehicle have lost firmness. You can verify this by looking at how much pressure it takes to close the seat. In general, the seat should rest on these bushes such that it is about 0.5 - 1 cm above the locked position - if you get what i'm saying; and should require a good push to hear the lock click. If it's loose, obviously the bushes are not providing the support they should. Either get them replaced or manufacture your own. Happy fixing!
isiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 16:03   #110
BHPian

What Kind of Tyre air pressure do Ray owners maintain. I couldn't see it anywhere on the Manual.
The petrol pumps have been pumping 36 psi for rear and 22 psi for front as per Activa requirement.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 21:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
What Kind of Tyre air pressure do Ray owners maintain. I couldn't see it anywhere on the Manual.
The petrol pumps have been pumping 36 psi for rear and 22 psi for front as per Activa requirement.
The above mentioned pressure is correct with pillion rider. Also refer page 2 of the owners manual, you will find all details regarding recommended tyre pressure for front and rear with pillion rider and without pilllion rider.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 17:18   #112
BHPian

I took a test ride of ray yesterday and was impressed with the handling and engine response. I have made up my mind to go for it in a couple of days. I too felt the rattling noise from fiber panels from the test ride ray. I am thinking of going for ray z and hope Yamaha has taken care of the rattle issues on the ray z.
Thank yikes6633 for the comprehensive review of the ray.
Arkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 16:48   #113
BHPian

Today, my Ray completed its 4th Free Service at 5500kms on the odo and having completed 8 months of owning it.

The bill paid is Rs. 270/- (217 for oil and 53 for consumables).

The Ray feels as new and peppy as ever. The only difference at this point is that I don't hesitate opening up the throttle and cruise at higher speeds of 60-70kms/hr which has lead to a drop in mileage by 1-1.5 kms/ltr.

The Ray so far has been an excellent scooter.
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 16:00   #114
BHPian

I took a test ride of Yamaha Ray this weekend and I'm seriously considering this scooter for my wife.

Is it possible to fit tubeless tyres in the Ray ? The tyre size is same as Activa / Dio, which come with tubeless tyres.

The sales lady at the Yamaha agency assured me that a tubeless tyre for Ray is available from MRF.

Thanks in advance.

Also, lovely ownership review from you.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 17:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I took a test ride of Yamaha Ray this weekend and I'm seriously considering
I already got one for my wife after going for a test ride once. I liked the refinement of engine and light handling of ray. Its seat height is also quite low making it comfortable for females.
By the way I got a blue one what about you?
Old 15th July 2013, 18:01   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Today, my Ray completed its 4th Free Service at 5500kms on the odo and having completed 8 months of owning it.
I took my Ray for its 3rd service with odo reading of 286 kms. The service centre guy, who is friendly with me now, chides me for not using the scooty.

Due to the rains in Mumbai, my usage has dropped to once a week for 1 km, but the scooter still starts with 1 kick.
Old 21st July 2013, 06:52   #117
BHPian

Yamaha is recalling 56000 units of Ray to fix a problem with the vehicle's handlebar. If anyone gets a call, please update. I will check with my dealer today.

Link below:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/21194239.cms
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 10:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Yamaha is recalling 56000 units of Ray to fix a problem with the vehicle's handlebar. If anyone gets a call, please upda]
Thanks for the useful information. I will check at service center today and update. I have got some rattling sound from front recently which could be due to handle problem.
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:18   #119
BHPian

Check if your Ray is affected.

http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/ra...amp/index.html

Last edited by riteshritesh : 22nd July 2013 at 17:20.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:34   #120

Dear @yikes6633 - firstly hats off to you for the most detailed review of Yamaha Ray on the internet. I haven't read a more detailed one yet anywhere after 15 days of online research.

@Arkesh, @riteshritesh,@yikes6633,
I am seriously considering going in for Ray-Z this week or the next. Just one small issue at the back of my mind - how about the after-sales-support of Yamaha?
I am based out of Hyderabad & have read a few positive & few negative reviews.
I am aware that you guys aren't from Hyderabad, but your experience would give me a heads up at least.
For example, from what I have read & heard, Honda is bad pan-India & is panned for its shoddy service across the country.
I hope Yamaha does a better job on this front.
akshaykakkar is offline   Reply With Quote