Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th November 2012, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Angry Honda recalls 11,500 units of the CBR 250R - Front brake issue

Could n ;t find a similar thread for Bikes , Hence posting a new thread.

A welcome step in right direction from Honda. IMO this is first time that a Auto manufacturer has voluntarily acknowledged a fault publicly and issued a recall for same. A Big thumbs up from my side to Honda.

Source : - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17277836.cms

Quote:
MUMBAI: Japanese two wheeler maker, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India has voluntarily recalled 11,500 units of its 250 cc premium motorcycle- CBR 250R standard variant produced between March of 2011 to September 2012 on account of front brake issue.
In a statement issued by the company on Monday, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India said, ""There is a possibility of limited effectiveness in front brake application, though this concern doesn't impact the overall braking functionality and effectiveness of front and rear brakes under normal riding conditions.""

HMSI says, this voluntary market action will take less than 1 hour and will be conducted at Honda exclusive authorized dealers all across India. Honda will rectify the problem free of cost, irrespective to the warranty status of the vehicle

This voluntary move is the first by any two wheeler manufacturer in the country. HMSI claims this step is to enhance ownership experience and strengthen customer trust and confidence in the brand.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:27   #2
BHPian

Default re: Honda recalls 11,500 units of the CBR 250R - Front brake issue

Anyone got a call from their sales outlet regarding this?

PS: The pic at the link shows either a Hyosung GT250R or GT650R and not the Honda CBR 250R.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What i am surprised about, is that they sold 11,500 CBRs in the Indian market

That said, kudos to them. friends who have it have never reported any such issue. proactive on their part.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:43   #4
BHPian

I own the CBR 250R too, haven't faced any braking issues so far. I got mine in Feb 2012.

To find out if your vehicle qualifies, visit the below link:

http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/c...ecampaign.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 19th November 2012 at 17:59. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That said, kudos to them. friends who have it have never reported any such issue. proactive on their part.
Have covered that part already here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions) few months ago

I could only improve it marginally by switching to DOT4 grade which is still...inferior for a 250cc having 296mm.

Few days ago, HMSI supplied a better quality of front disc pads & hopefully...hopefully...combined with this recall, the front brakes get sharper
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:00   #6
BHPian

Just today morning, i had called the local A.S.S. center complaining about this issue and they asked me to get the bike tomorrow for checkup.
And now i see this new.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 17:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Respect to Honda for this! RESPECT.

Though my bike is not in the list (the site says so after checking against the Chassis number), I am glad Honda has openly asked for the replacement. I can imagine a certain metal thumper company actually needs to call for a recall of all its bikes
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 18:08   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Honda recalls 11,500 units of the CBR 250R - Front brake issue

This only increases my respect for Honda. While honestly accepting a defect is on one side, doing it openly for everyone to see is quite another!

The fact that they have sold so many units of a premium segment bike (in India of course) amazes me though!
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 08:58   #9
BHPian

I checked whether my CBR is on the list and it appears that it is. Time to contact a service center- I'm not too sure that they would be even aware that such a service campaign is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Respect to Honda for this! RESPECT.

Though my bike is not in the list (the site says so after checking against the Chassis number), I am glad Honda has openly asked for the replacement.

I heartily concur. I'm happy and I respect Honda for being forthcoming about the issue and better still, have come out with a solution to the problem. The effectiveness remains to be seen, but when the company is doing this of its own accord, there isn't much to criticize.

This isn't the first time Honda is doing a product recall- there had been one on the Honda City (the new one) last year. It was something about the power window switches failing and risk of fire or something like that (I don't remember exactly) and I had admired Honda's guts to admit that they were wrong and were willing to rectify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I can imagine a certain metal thumper company actually needs to call for a recall of all its bikes
I'm thanking my lucky stars and you guys that I gave that thing a miss and chose the CBR instead. That ride has a hell lot of more issues than the CBR ever had (or hopefully, will have). For the C5, RE did offer free ECU remaps (IIRC) to rectify a serious problem. Compared to the older models, the newer Enfields seem to be far more reliable but they still aren't as niggle free as a jap bike. RE is improving, but at a glacially slow pace.
evilmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What i am surprised about, is that they sold 11,500 CBRs in the Indian market

I believe lot of people have reported this issue, including in team-bhp. Anyways, its heartening to see Honda going ahead with a recall of 11,500 CBRs.

CBR proved that India has a good market for affordable performance bikes. CBR250R specially didn't have any competition till the KTM 200 came along. Then also - it had advantages of having a full fairing + ABS.

I feel KTM 390 will put serious pressure of CBR 250R, specially the higher priced C-ABS version.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 10:20   #11
BHPian

Just got off the phone after talking to the manager of my usual service center. He said that the brake's master cylinder would be replaced with an upgraded one. When I asked whether the brake pads would be replaced, he replied in the negative.

Almost nobody from the three main dealers in Cochin was aware of this recall from Honda- only the manager mentioned before knew about it. They would do the replacement when the stocks arrive, I guess.
evilmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 11:54   #12
BHPian

I got a call from someone at Honda today. He said that my bike's master brake cylinder will be replaced free of cost. He asked me where I would prefer giving my bike and then gave me the contact number of someone in charge at the service station. Booked an appointment with City Honda, Mission Road, Bangalore on Thursday at 10 AM. They said they will deliver the bike within 2-3 hours.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 13:29   #13
BHPian

Just registered my bike at the site. They said I will receive a call from the preferred service station soon. Just read that they will change the master cylinder once they have the stocks. Shouldn't Honda have stocked the service centers before the recall? the problem it seems is only on the standard version it seems, according to the TOI report.

The spares are a problem. I have been waiting for a cone set for two months now. considering the fact that I live in a 50 km radius of the Honda factory....amazing.
damanshaheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 14:10   #14
BHPian

It seems only non-ABS versions are recalled. Does that mean that Bybre as a product is slightly inferior to more competent Nissins (quality wise?)?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote