Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 19:32   #46
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 740
Thanked: 888 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Very late felicitations on the bike!

I went for a police verification for a passport; the RE showroom was right next door. Walked in & walked out 5k lighter!

Booked the TBTS 500 (was very sure it has to be the 500 & not the 350). TD ed the Classic 500 but was not comfortable with it. SOmehow, was searching for the absent neutral lever on it but never did on the TBTS.

Says 6 months waiting but with increased production, betting it will be just in time for the old birthday!
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 14:53   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

7 months on and the Odo reads 0 KM. Yes folks you read it right. The trip meter was not working on the bull. Got it replaced under warranty today. The reading on the old meter was 2579 Km.

On a different note, Delhi/NCR is experinencing a heat wave. The bull therefore spends most of the time in the garage save for a few shots runs on weekend mornings.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 11:49   #48
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Jimmy,
The experience has been pretty good. There were a couple of issues than can be attributed t poor PDI. Otherwise the bike has been riding fine. Riding it is very different from the newer bikes in the market and the bull just grows on you.
Hi rajneeesh,

will be picking up my bull within the next few day. Will be riding from Mumbai to Pune immediately, I have read through almost all forums and the initial ownerships and your excellent suggestions for the initial run-in of the bike..

Just want to check any last minute tips from your end before I take the Delivery, I have few checkpoints as below, please feel free to add to them .

1.check all screws / nuts etc ensure they are tight
2.check 10amp fuse in the electrical box and replacement process, have read that it can knock off in the initial run-in
3.check if all tool are available
4.check headlight adjustment
5.check front and rear brake settings
6.check fuel meter behavior
7.Check for squeaks / rattles
8.check all buttons are functioning on the Electronic meter
9.tighten Mirror screws
10.Check clutch / accelerator cables / setting

Awaiting your valuable feedback. can you share any PDI document you would have handy.

Regards,
Jimmy

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 18th July 2013 at 11:51. Reason: additions to the notes
Jimmy_u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 20:56   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi rajneeesh,

will be picking up my bull within the next few day. Will be riding from Mumbai to Pune immediately, I have read through almost all forums and the initial ownerships and your excellent suggestions for the initial run-in of the bike..

Just want to check any last minute tips from your end before I take the Delivery, I have few checkpoints as below, please feel free to add to them .

1.check all screws / nuts etc ensure they are tight
2.check 10amp fuse in the electrical box and replacement process, have read that it can knock off in the initial run-in
3.check if all tool are available
4.check headlight adjustment
5.check front and rear brake settings
6.check fuel meter behavior
7.Check for squeaks / rattles
8.check all buttons are functioning on the Electronic meter
9.tighten Mirror screws
10.Check clutch / accelerator cables / setting

Awaiting your valuable feedback. can you share any PDI document you would have handy.

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy,

you have captured most of the points. Please check the tyre pressure as well. Sometimes they inflate the tyres to 50 psi. All the best and welcome to the club.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 22:54   #50
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Jimmy,

you have captured most of the points. Please check the tyre pressure as well. Sometimes they inflate the tyres to 50 psi. All the best and welcome to the club.
Thanks rajneeesh,

would you recommend to carry any spares when i take the delivery and drive to pune , as the showroom also has the service center behind it.

just in case anything goes bust in the middle of the travel.

Regards,
jimmy
Jimmy_u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 03:57   #51
BHPian
 
azm@bpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 36
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

hi folks!
has anyone tried tge Avenger handle-bar on TBTS? i think this would give the rider a more comfortable grip. experts please butt in and share your views on this
azm@bpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 18:43   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Relax Jimmy, Mumbai to Pune is a short trip. No special preparations required. It is not a trip to Ladakh. Th TBTS is pretty reliable machine. Enjoy the ride and ride safe.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 21:25   #53
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Relax Jimmy, Mumbai to Pune is a short trip. No special preparations required. It is not a trip to Ladakh. Th TBTS is pretty reliable machine. Enjoy the ride and ride safe.
Thanks sir 😉 just being cautious
Jimmy_u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:33   #54
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post

Thanks sir dde09 just being cautious
Apologies for the typo mistake sir rajneeesh
Jimmy_u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 18:59   #55
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

All went well for the initial run, hope to put in the required kms for the running in soon.
Jimmy_u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 13:08   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Got the bike serviced last Saturday. Due to the hot Delhi Summers and the heavy monsoons I had barely done 530 Km from the previous service. SO no oil change.

Asco Motors took 4 hours to service the bike which I believe is not good. This was the 4th free service and since there were no reported flaws and no oil change, they should not have taken more than 2 hours. I reached the Service station at 10:00 when they were opening for the day ( only REML service stations open so late). By the time they completed the job card formalities and wheeled the bike to the service bay, it was already past 11:30.

For a company which charges 3 time the price of an averge bike, REML sure treats its customers rather poorly. They even have the audacity to charge 2.5 % extra for credit card payments for servicing.

The bull, touch wood have been behaving well . It has done 3300 Km in little under 10 months and is near the end of the warranty period. REML, BTW does not offer any extended warranty packages and that is a bit of a dampner considering the high price of spares. I hope there are no part failures ( One of the speedomer units was replaced under warranty) soon and I keep enjoying the bike.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 13:55   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

With the monsoon easing a bit in Delhi/NCR, I have spent a little more time on the saddle in the last 1 month. The BUll is now closing in on the 4K mark.

It is running flawlesssly bringing a smile to my face every time I swing my leg over her. The only fly in the the ointment is the service due icon ( spanner) making its appearance every 450 Km or so. The Bike is returning between 28-30 KPL.

I will again try the remedy suggested by Apachelongbow wrt to the spanner icon.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 15:50   #58
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
With the monsoon easing a bit in Delhi/NCR, I have spent a little more time on the saddle in the last 1 month. The BUll is now closing in on the 4K mark.

It is running flawlesssly bringing a smile to my face every time I swing my leg over her. The only fly in the the ointment is the service due icon ( spanner) making its appearance every 450 Km or so. The Bike is returning between 28-30 KPL.

I will again try the remedy suggested by Apachelongbow wrt to the spanner icon.
Hello rajneeesh,

we have not seen any updates from you on this thread sir.

awaiting updates

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy_u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 18:29   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

Jimmy,

I have been travelling extensively in the last month or so and have not really spent much time on the saddle. The Bike is now over a year old and outside the warranty period. So far functioning flawlessly. I hope I do not have any unpleasant surprises coming my way. I will be updating the thread in some time. Thanks for your interest.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 17:42   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

I got the instrument cluster replaced today ( Second time in 13 months of ownership). Minor cracks had appeared on the glass covers. I would have missed them completely but for Ravi's post on getting his clocks replaced under warranty for a similar issue.

Thanks Ravi for pointing it out and then sharing the customer care mail id. I would also like to thank REML for the prompt response. ( my bike's warranty had ended a few weeks before I reported the problem).

The Bull has been running flawlessly . The overall mileage now stands at 4480 km ( 11km on the new clocks). Winters have set in in this part of the country and I have put some miles in the last 3-4 weeks. I also took a few test rides on the Continental GT while I was at Asco Motors. I like the concept but find the TBTS more suited to day to day riding. ( More comfortable). IMHO the GT is not fast enough off the blocks to be a café racer .
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bullet : 350 Twinspark vs Electra Twinspark abhishek24x Motorbikes 30 14th June 2015 15:37
Proud to be an Enfield Thunderbird 500 (Twinspark) Owner. 1st Service Done Jimmy_u Motorbikes 34 25th February 2014 09:02
Ownership Experience- Thunderbird Twinspark. Endofdayz Motorbikes 15 22nd October 2010 14:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks