Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd January 2013, 17:34   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My ThunderBird 500 : Ownership review with pictures

Many Many congratulations Shan2129.
And it feels great to see more and more brilliant bikes on the streets of dehradun.

Next time im in doon i will surely catch up and check it out in person.

Ride Safe.
Enigmatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:42   #17
BHPian

@sam : I got my hands on a seat padding, will see if I can fix it. Nice to know that you are also getting this beast. awesome.

@Enigmatic : Thanks Nice signature man & that'd be great. Would love to meet a fellow BHPian.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 21:08   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the Bull..
The road presence of this bike is really good and this is a bike which seems to have a lot of useful and practical features
1. Bigger fuel tank
2. Better headlamps and taillamps and cant miss that Halo ring
3. Read disc brakes
The paint quality is definitely better and In my humble opinion this paintjob looks great even better than the matte because pnce you wash it, it complements the chrome elements better
The pricing is a wee bit on the upper side but still not a bad bet for a bike which lasts more than 25 years if you take good care of it
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 08:57   #19
BHPian

Owing a bull is really difficult now a days. Being the waiting period from 10-14 months. Regardless the same, when we own one, writing a review about it is really appreciable. It will really help the others like me... Thanks for sharing the valuable information's with pictures.
thelightening is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 11:49   #20
BHPian

@shridhar.s.i : Thanks. I agree on all of the points you mentioned.

@thelightening : you are right, it is very difficult to own one and I was miserable in the waiting period. Thank you for the kind words
Old 7th January 2013, 11:30   #21
BHPian

I had seen one T'Bird in Hyderabad yesterday evening. The stop lamp seems nice when lit irrespective of how it looks in day time. I liked the vertical LED kind of lit stripes.

Even though it was small it was not looking out of place.
soonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Shan-congrats for the tbird.Loved the overall package.The only point i didnt like on the bike are the mounts of the speedo.It shakes too much when going off road
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:38   #23
BHPian

@rakesh_r : Yeah, I have mentioned this point in my first post. It is really irritating. RE is known for the " Built like a GUN" approach. That the instruments panel mount lacks that.

@soonya : It looks ok when lit, but it should have been placed differently or a bit bigger tail light would have been appeciated.

Last edited by shan2129 : 7th January 2013 at 17:39.
Old 12th January 2013, 11:25   #24
BHPian

First Service Update

I Completed 475 KMS a few days back, but due to extremely cold weather ( nearing -1C ) , I took my bike for the 1st service yesterday. Though, there were no major issues to report, i did report all the niggles that I posted previously. To my surprise, RE team from chennai was there at the service center.

They asked for my feedback about TB500 & very surprisingly they had no idea the rear tail section on all bikes is titled to the left. When they noticed it, they made a note of it & told me they will work on it & provide me with a replacement tail section as soon as possible.

Resolving of issues

1. My rear tyre section was removed and installed back & the creaking sound went away.
2. The instruments panel was removed and a tough rubber joint was installed & somehow it feels sturdy now & does not wiggle that much on bumpy roads.
3. Disk pads were aligned properly.
4. Engine Oil was replaced with the Oil filter. ( Engine Oil used was Motul 15W 50 )

The whole service experience felt more like a proper PDI & now I am somewhat happier with the bike.

Never satisfied

1. The wash was pathetic in quality ( I told them not to, as I prefer to clean the BULL myself, always ) ( they did it anyways ). Now there was dried water drops all over, every part looks dusty and dirty.

2. Rear brake is not completely GONE. Atleast it was non-existent before. I have decided to give it a try myself. Will adjust the rear disc assembly myself.

Observations

1. The Spark plug was brown in color & from what I have learnt from my CI 350. This is good news right guys ?

Some good news for Cafe Racer Fans

The Cafe racer will be coming late in 2013 & the booking will start in OCT probably. the estimated price range might be something like 2.30 ex showroom.
shan2129 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 17:28   #25
BHPian

2.30 lakhs
and my dream comes crashing down
InControl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 21:50   #26
BHPian

yeah, I too felt the same. Cafe racer looks awesome & promising. 2.30 lakhs seems justified in terms of quality and material that was shown on the Auto Expo bike. If that's the stuff they will give us, this pricing is awesome.

Last edited by shan2129 : 22nd February 2013 at 21:52.
Old 24th October 2013, 23:05   #27
BHPian

Update
It's been quite sometime now that I have had my Thunderbird. There are a few aspects of the ownership that I wanted to share with you guys. Royal Enfield and Quiality seems to be two contrary things. No matter how good a launch RE gives to it's bikes, they will always be crappy in after sales service.

I bought my bull in Dec of 2012 and It started showing niggles on day one. But my first replacement came with my rear right Shock absorber going kaput. This started my troubles and the next thing i noticed was the paint on my fuel tank getting chipped off. The same thing goes with my Center Stand & Exhaust. The Instrument panel on my bike seems to be malfunctioning as well.

I submitted a warranty claim in July for the above said items. As per my expectations my claim was not taken that seriously and I was handed a waiting bill of Bad QC from RE. It's been more or less three months since I am waiting for the parts.

The best part is that RE people say and I quote "Royal Enfield no longer produces that Parts of your Bikes color ( twilight ). The new facility only produces a lite shade of twilight color".so by that theory I have to change the whole kit on my TB500 to a different color.

I don't know If i am going to continue with my RE.
Old 24th October 2013, 23:13   #28
BHPian

very unfortunate turn of events. i got my october 2013 manufactured TB500 delivered a week back. the color is same as yours-twilight blue. i doubt that RE sells/manufacture a complete bike in this colour and don't provide parts of the same. smells something fishy!!
probe further and take whatever color parts they have to offer
azm@bpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 09:23   #29
BHPian

@azm@bpl : MY TB has a little darker color. What I mean by that is, that these guys initially made the Twilight color far more darker than it is these days. The explanation they gave me was that my TB was made at a different Plant altogether & now they have stopped manufacturing there & the paint on my bull is no longer made.

How can that be right ? My bull was among the very first lot ( first one in Dehradun actually ), but how can they change the color ? isn't that ridiculous ?

Feeling sad :(
Old 25th October 2013, 12:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Update
It's been quite sometime now that I have had my Thunderbird. There are a few aspects of the ownership that I wanted to share with you guys. Royal Enfield and Quiality seems to be two contrary things. No matter how good a launch RE gives to it's bikes, they will always be crappy in after sales service.

I bought my bull in Dec of 2012 and It started showing niggles on day one. But my first replacement came with my rear right Shock absorber going kaput. This started my troubles and the next thing i noticed was the paint on my fuel tank getting chipped off. The same thing goes with my Center Stand & Exhaust. The Instrument panel on my bike seems to be malfunctioning as well.

I submitted a warranty claim in July for the above said items. As per my expectations my claim was not taken that seriously and I was handed a waiting bill of Bad QC from RE. It's been more or less three months since I am waiting for the parts.

The best part is that RE people say and I quote "Royal Enfield no longer produces that Parts of your Bikes color ( twilight ). The new facility only produces a lite shade of twilight color".so by that theory I have to change the whole kit on my TB500 to a different color.

I don't know If i am going to continue with my RE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
@azm@bpl : MY TB has a little darker color. What I mean by that is, that these guys initially made the Twilight color far more darker than it is these days. The explanation they gave me was that my TB was made at a different Plant altogether & now they have stopped manufacturing there & the paint on my bull is no longer made.

How can that be right ? My bull was among the very first lot ( first one in Dehradun actually ), but how can they change the color ? isn't that ridiculous ?

Feeling sad :(
Hi shan2129,

Sorry to hear the state of your Bull, I too have the same color (Twilight) and it is surprising to hear this comment from RE.

I would recommend you check J.Ravi Sir's thread as he too has had a tank replacement and it was done successfully.

also escalate this to the highest level at RE using all Public forums and IT tools. your signature suggests you are one of us (IT Breed ) guy.

Retain your Bull and fight it out, as that's the way RE satisfies it owners
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote