Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th May 2013, 23:18   #196

Default Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Good going mate,

definitely a great way to get used to long rides, I'm actually a little surprised by that number on the speedo console. Did you actually manage to get 57kmpl as the average during the entire trip..?

Thanks,
Argan
Argan365 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 08:05   #197
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argan365 View Post
Did you actually manage to get 57kmpl as the average during the entire trip..?
It was the average speed, 57 in kmph for the trip. It does not show the fuel efficiency in kmpl.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 08:47   #198
Team-BHP Support

Anurag, congrats on your first short-long trip of 550kms. Indeed a great way to be prepared for the upcoming big ride.

Good to know that you rode almost non-stop for 275kms one-way. I have done a maximum of 275kms two way ride till now and did non-stop 150kms. My back and butt just couldnt stand the brunt of such long ride and took a whole day to come back to normal settings

57kmph was the average speed but, what was the FE you got? I assume over 30kmpl atleast
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 20:03   #199

I dunno if you guys have noticed but on the TB500 when you insert the key and turn it to on position the speedo console does it usual bit with the needles making a round and coming back, I did see the letters mpg getting highlighted right under where it says kmph right at the bottom next to the fuel bars. Just wondering why would it be marked as mpg when there is no provision to display the average fuel efficiency.
Argan365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 23:49   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anurag, congrats on your first short-long trip of 550kms. Indeed a great way to be prepared for the upcoming big ride...

...57kmph was the average speed but, what was the FE you got? I assume over 30kmpl atleast
Thanks Avi.
And regarding the average, I did not check specifically but given the fuel gauge and refueling the tank, my guess is 35 kmpl. I will check on the next long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argan365 View Post
I dunno if you guys have noticed but on the TB500 when you insert the key and turn it to on position the speedo console does it usual bit with the needles making a round and coming back, I did see the letters mpg getting highlighted right under where it says kmph right at the bottom next to the fuel bars. Just wondering why would it be marked as mpg when there is no provision to display the average fuel efficiency.
Hi Argan, since your first query has been answerered by dear Ravi jee, I will answer your post above. This question was raised by ku69rd and has been answered by Shan2129 in his ownership thread. Checkout post number 13 on his thread, or use this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3005298 (My ThunderBird 500 : Ownership review with pictures). In short, these options have not been activated on the console and may have been reserved for export models or upgraded and revised models in India. Hope this helps.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 09:02   #201
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Thanks Avi.
And regarding the average, I did not check specifically but given the fuel gauge and refueling the tank, my guess is 35 kmpl. I will check on the next long drive.
I agree, on long drives my TB500 gives about 34kmpl (tankful to tankful), and in the city gives about 30-32kmpl. In no case does the average drop below 30kmpl, however may be its due to the riding style too. If we keep the bike 100kmph up, then the average may suffer a bit.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 17:09   #202
BHPian

A few follow up updates:
I had complained of the rear shock absorber being hard. So I tried changing the settings, but did not find much difference and hence have reverted to the original. One more reason for this is that my friend runs the same setting on his bike and he felt that I was overreacting since I had been on some rough roads.

My confidence in the rear tyre's grip levels has come down. Above 80 Kmph, it does not hold and tends to skid on slightly hard breaking. The same has been reported by the aforementioned friend, for his bike. Hence a replacement tyre is on the agenda and suggestions are welcome.

I am very happy with my dirtsack saddle bags. On the last trip, they did not move at all and hugged the bike close enough for me to move through traffic without having to worry about them needing more space to pass through (compared to my legs). On closer examination today, I found that one of the bags had its stitches come loose. Before posting a critical review here, I thought it best to give the feedback on their website first, and give them a chance to respond.
A Snap of the bags:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-saddle-bag-side-view.jpg

I got a call within 2 hours of posting the feedback on their website! To top it, they promised to replace the bags free of cost, AND bear the courier charges both ways, Wow!
Of course I am not going to have him pay for the courier costs, but what service! I am more than delighted.
I will post more of this on the saddlebags thread in the coming weeks, after I receive the replacements.

The first problem on the bike:

A couple of days back, on starting the bike, I found the idling speed of the bike had gone up to 1500 rpm. I took the bike to the service center and the fault was diagnosed as a loose pipe. Since I am not an expert on describing technical details/parts, I will post the photograph of the pipe:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-pipe-1.jpg

Another Angle:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-pipe2.jpg

Exactly the same pipe has come off in my friend's case too. The material/rubber is not of good quality and after a few cycles of heating and cooling, seems to loose its elasticity. The best part is that a good quality pipe with an outer coating of nylon is just Rs. 20 for the meter. Why did RE not use a better pipe?
Old 18th May 2013, 17:53   #203
BANNED

^^ Same issue faced by me, culprit the faulty rubber hose/pipe, which was replaced at the cost of Rs 35. Such an irritating niggling issue, typical RE.
Second issue which I could solve was the mystery of the aerodynamic mirrors, one which would fold over at 100kmph+ and would bend at any speeds over 80kmph. Culprit? Again foolish PDI by RE. Three screws which tighten the mirror were loose and on taking a screwdriver and tightening both the mirrors, they are vibe free and are good for all bike speeds
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 21:29   #204
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am planning to buy an RE from quite some time. Was confused between Classic Chrome, CL350, TBTS350 and 500. Now finally planning to settle down to TBTS. Now the confusion is, should I buy TBTS 350 or 500? I would be using this as my daily commute to office (around 60kms to and fro) and I have no plans of using this bike for touring as for touring I would prefer a car any day. So which avtat of TBTS would you guys suggest?
And also I heard from the RE sales guys that the new TBTS is more reliable and trouble free compare to that of the CL, because the new TBTS has been tested extensively beforeit was launched is that true?
Thanks in advance.

Vijay
vijay_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 22:19   #205
Senior - BHPian

There is supposed to be a scissor type clamp on the pipe just under the TB where it goes. Try to get it and it will hold up for longer period.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 22:33   #206
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Hi Guys,
Now the confusion is, should I buy TBTS 350 or 500? I would be using this as my daily commute to office (around 60kms to and fro) and I have no plans of using this bike for touring as for touring I would prefer a car any day. So which avtat of TBTS would you guys suggest?
Vijay, indeed the new TB is quite reliable mechanically, nothing breaks down, no oil leaks, power, rusting or other typical bullet niggles. Regarding what to buy, the 500 is definitely the more 'fun' bike to have, some day during your office commute you may want to open the throttle on an empty road, then that extra Rs40k is completely worth if for the sheer fun the 500 provides.
If you are looking at a bare bones commuter, why pay so much for a RE? Get a Bajaj Discover or a HH Splendour and commute peacefully.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 23:20   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Vijay, indeed the new TB is quite reliable mechanically, nothing breaks down, no oil leaks, power, rusting or other typical bullet niggles. Regarding what to buy, the 500 is definitely the more 'fun' bike to have, some day during your office commute you may want to open the throttle on an empty road, then that extra Rs40k is completely worth if for the sheer fun the 500 provides.
If you are looking at a bare bones commuter, why pay so much for a RE? Get a Bajaj Discover or a HH Splendour and commute peacefully.
Thank you for your quick reply. First of all I am not looking for a bare bone commuter . I have had a lot of commuters with me, right from HH splendor to activa to CT100 to HH hunk to pulsar 150 to pulsar 200 and also I had RX100, RX135 5 Speed then Pulsar 220 FI, Honda Dio and now finally have a vespa LX125.
As of now I am looking for a RE and nothing else.
As per your suggestion even I was planning for a TBTS 500 but my friends who already have RE 350 and 500 suggested me to go for a 350 because I would be using it only within bangalore city so I am confused. The sheer power of 500 makes me go for one but end of the day the question is where would I be using that power and torque? Thats the reason I am confused and I am not able to make the right decision. help me guys...
Old 18th May 2013, 23:56   #208
Senior - BHPian

If you never intend to ride outside the city the 350 would probably be the best choice because of the slight fuel economy gained over the 500.

If price and fuel economy aren't major factors the 500 would give you several advantages over the 350.

On those rare occasions that the extra power can be used in the city, the 500 has it instantly on hand.

The extra power available with the 500 also means the engine/transmission are never being overstressed while riding in the city. Where the 350 will have to work a bit to accelerate to avoid a problem the 500 will just be loafing while it provides the power needed under similar conditions. Loafing engines last far longer than engines that are forced to the max.

If you ever decide to ride on the high speed highways or venture out of the city into the countryside the 350's reduced power will be a concern.
The 500 on the other hand will easily take you wherever you wish to ride at freeway speeds for hours on end without overtaxing the engine.

Then, there's the resale value.
While you may be quite content to restrict your riding to the city with a 350, other potential buyers may not share your feelings.
They would need to either limit themselves to the reduced power and performance of a 350 or go elsewhere to find the more powerful 500.

Many riders would gladly pay the extra money for a used 500 just to avoid the limitations that come with a 350.
I feel this is true even with others who only plan to ride in the city.

Something to think about.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 00:15   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If you never intend to ride outside the city the 350 would probably be the best choice because of the slight fuel economy gained over the 500.

If price and fuel economy aren't major factors the 500 would give you several advantages over the 350.

On those rare occasions that the extra power can be used in the city, the 500 has it instantly on hand.

The extra power available with the 500 also means the engine/transmission are never being overstressed while riding in the city. Where the 350 will have to work a bit to accelerate to avoid a problem the 500 will just be loafing while it provides the power needed under similar conditions. Loafing engines last far longer than engines that are forced to the max.

If you ever decide to ride on the high speed highways or venture out of the city into the countryside the 350's reduced power will be a concern.
The 500 on the other hand will easily take you wherever you wish to ride at freeway speeds for hours on end without overtaxing the engine.

Then, there's the resale value.
While you may be quite content to restrict your riding to the city with a 350, other potential buyers may not share your feelings.
They would need to either limit themselves to the reduced power and performance of a 350 or go elsewhere to find the more powerful 500.

Many riders would gladly pay the extra money for a used 500 just to avoid the limitations that come with a 350.
I feel this is true even with others who only plan to ride in the city.

Something to think about.
Thank you for your reply bro.
Price, fuel economy and resale value is not my major concern. My concern is comfort, reliability, driveability and majorly hassel free bike. I want something that is kind of fill it shut it forget it kind of bike, I agree that RE bikes should be well maintained and periodic maintenance is required and I am ready for that and that is what I have been doing in all the bikes I had previously.
Now my only concern is 350 or 500? few people suggest me for 500 and rest suggest me for 350 so confused on what I should invest on and also I guess this would be my last bike I would invest on and in future if I can I will upgrade to an Harley if not this would be my last bike.
Waiting for your valuable suggestion guys.

Vijay
Old 19th May 2013, 02:19   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
...Three screws which tighten the mirror were loose and on taking a screwdriver and tightening both the mirrors, they are vibe free and are good for all bike speeds
Good to have a solution at last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
There is supposed to be a scissor type clamp on the pipe just under the TB where it goes. Try to get it and it will hold up for longer period.
Hi Randhawa! Good to have you on the thread. I am not sure what you mean by TB, please elaborate.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply bro.
Price, fuel economy and resale value is not my major concern. My concern is comfort, reliability, driveability and majorly hassel free bike.
Then why look at the 350?
Quote:
I want something that is kind of fill it shut it forget it kind of bike...
An RE bike is hard to forget
Quote:
Now my only concern is 350 or 500? ...

...Waiting for your valuable suggestion guys.
Vijay
Many of us on the forum have a healthy respect for ArizonaJim's comments, you may want to give them another look. And I believe that Apachelongbow also has spoken from experience.
If this is your last bike, then why not the 500? And responding to your query on where to use the extra power: Every time you feel like overtaking. My friend uses the 500 in Jalandhar city, which is much more chaotic than Bangalore, and he loves the throttle response of the bike. In fact the 500 could help you move through traffic better.
Have you test driven the bikes? If not, please do.

Last edited by Insearch : 19th May 2013 at 02:37. Reason: Making it crisp