Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th June 2013, 21:08   #226
BHPian

Default Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Best of Luck, Insearch! Readers of this thread know that you have been planning this trip for a long time. I hope it turns out to be all that you dreamed it would be. Have fun, Ride well, Ride Safe, and return home with some of the best memories of your life!

PS: I hope you write a ride report for the travelogues section. Are you planning to?

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 9th June 2013 at 21:14.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 02:33   #227
Senior - BHPian

@ Insearch

Enjoy your venture. I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

Before you go, be sure to check the tightness of every fastener from the small clamp on the fuel pump hose to the engine mounts and everything in between.

Although Royal Enfield has greatly improved their motorcycles, the vibrations from a big single has a tendency to cause screws, nuts and bolts to loosen so they all should be checked from time to time.

Have fun.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 12:50   #228
Senior - BHPian

All the best bro. Ride safe!

The bags look very nice. But always carry rope and bungees.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 13:50   #229
Team-BHP Support

Anurag, the saddle bags looks superb and iam sure will hold almost everything that you will need for your mountain adventure

Btw, Please unscrew each and every accessory before transporting the bike to Delhi

Also, hope your changing the rear tyre before your trip as its imperative that you have a better grip than now especially on the icy, slippery and slush filled mountain roads.

Will pass my congratulations and best wishes to you when we meet in person next
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 15:47   #230
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Bon voyage and best wishes to you and your bird, Insearch.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 22:54   #231
BHPian

Before I respond to your kind words,Gentlemen... I think my excitement is rubbing off on you also. While I have booked the flight, the actual date is still some time away. Meanwhile I want to do one more journey of 500 kilometers before the D-day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Best of Luck, Insearch! Readers of this thread know that you have been planning this trip for a long time. I hope it turns out to be all that you dreamed it would be. Have fun, Ride well, Ride Safe, and return home with some of the best memories of your life!

PS: I hope you write a ride report for the travelogues section. Are you planning to?
Thanks Rollin' Thunda, for being around. In fact I need to post something on leg guards for which I would like to invite your and ebonho's comments and thoughts. I have had a serious change of opinion after witnessing a severe two wheeler accident today morning. I am veering towards the Air fly crash guard (if that is what it is called). Will post separately.
For now thanks for the kind wishes and I hope I am up to it.

And! I will definitely write a travelogue on return. But expect it to be more of a personal journey/experience write up. There are already some great write ups on that route by various veterans (Tsk, Amolpol and Ravijee's threads are the ones that I thoroughly enjoyed reading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
@ Insearch

Enjoy your venture. I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

Before you go, be sure to check the tightness of every fastener from the small clamp on the fuel pump hose to the engine mounts and everything in between.

Although Royal Enfield has greatly improved their motorcycles, the vibrations from a big single has a tendency to cause screws, nuts and bolts to loosen so they all should be checked from time to time.

Have fun.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ha! I plan to get it serviced, all oils changed, chain tightened, and be there at the workshop for the actual service this time. Thanks for the wishes, I hope some of them stick tightly to the screws of the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All the best bro. Ride safe!

The bags look very nice. But always carry rope and bungees.
Thanks.
I have not forgotten your advice and along with the bungee cords, I will also keep the bungee net (and one extra too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anurag, the saddle bags looks superb and iam sure will hold almost everything that you will need for your mountain adventure

Btw, Please unscrew each and every accessory before transporting the bike to Delhi

Also, hope your changing the rear tyre before your trip as its imperative that you have a better grip than now especially on the icy, slippery and slush filled mountain roads.

Will pass my congratulations and best wishes to you when we meet in person next
Thanks Avi. I am planning to transport the bike through Agrawal movers. They have given a quote of 8000, and promised to re-imburse any damage caused to the bike. Hopefully that means a safe transit. Still I will take off the rear view mirrors. Other wise my bike is stock.

Regarding the rear tyre, there has been a fresh review posted on the motorcycle tyres thread for Pirelli. The reviewer does not find a great change in the grip levels. Help needed on this. I definitely would like to shift to a tyre made of softer compound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Bon voyage and best wishes to you and your bird, Insearch.
Thanks.
I have been following your ownership thread closely. In fact I have some photographs for you on how to best fit the charger on your bike. My friend has got it done from a person who is adept at electrics and repairs machines costing 25 lakhs and more ( for a 5 minute job, this man costs upwards of 5000/-). Not sure if I should post those on your thread or send them to you as PM. The reason for the dilemma is that I may not be able to explain the technical details well. Let me know how you would like it. Best would be that I give you the cell number of my friend and he guides you through it.

Last edited by Insearch : 10th June 2013 at 22:56. Reason: Language
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 11:06   #232
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate, so you are finally set to realize your goal of riding to the hills. Would suggest if you can draft a metal frame for your right saddle bag so that it can be fastened to it rather than letting it loose? You can make use of the saree guard if the orientation can be set right.

Happy Riding and do click some wonderful photos. Have a good time.

PS: When are you riding though?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:40   #233
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
I have been following your ownership thread closely.
Thanks, Insearch.
Quote:
Not sure if I should post those on your thread or send them to you as PM.
Kindly post the details either in my ownership thread or yours so that it would be useful for others too.
Quote:
Best would be that I give you the cell number of my friend and he guides you through it.
Kindly send the contact details by PM.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 09:28   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congrats mate, so you are finally set to realize your goal of riding to the hills. Would suggest if you can draft a metal frame for your right saddle bag so that it can be fastened to it rather than letting it loose? You can make use of the saree guard if the orientation can be set right.

Happy Riding and do click some wonderful photos. Have a good time.

PS: When are you riding though?
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been thinking about the right side actually and was wondering how it would endure over a 2 week ride. The saree guard may be difficult to fix, may be a few steel rods or bungee cords behind the bag. Also these panniers fix to the rear foot rest and may not move much. This is exactly why I want to go on a trial ride.

I will try my hand at photography, a new camera is on the anvil (Panasonic FZ200 is what I am planning). And, I will ride out in the first week of August.
Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Kindly post the details either in my ownership thread or yours so that it would be useful for others too.

Kindly send the contact details by PM.
I will post the photographs on your thread as your experience with the same will be beneficial. Please give me a couple of days.
Will also PM you my friend's contact details.
Regards.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.
Dear Insearch,
If you can establish contact with a quality fabricator who knows his job pretty well then changing the orientation from left to right will not be a challenge provided the stock saree guard is a straight one. If you can share the photo-graph of your existing saree guard it will help me understand better.

Also if you feel that you do not want to do the Jugaad, then simply make a metal frame with fasteners and use bungee cords to hold them in shape. You can water proof the bags according to your whims and fancies.

For Bungee Cords, try these Tie-down Bungee Cords they are much more effective than the conventional ones. Off-Course you need the conventional ones as well. Name:  634932923154701887ML0015_Gr.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  19.7 KB

All the best with your endeavor
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 14:53   #236
Senior - BHPian

Try these ones out ..... they are for both sides and would be perfect.

Name:  stay guards.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  62.5 KB

And here it is fitted on a Tbird

Name:  rhs stay guard.jpg
Views: 5423
Size:  71.4 KB
Old 13th June 2013, 08:56   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try these ones out ..... they are for both sides and would be perfect.

And here it is fitted on a Tbird

Attachment 1095644
Wow, exactly, these are the ones that i was referring to. They are very lightweight, does the job pretty well and with 20 liter tank am sure there will be no need to carry additional fuel.

Do you get them in all accessories shop or is it limited to a few?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 09:23   #238
Senior - BHPian

Bonvoyaf Insearch. Have a great time and update us on how the TBTS 500 takes to the mountain passes. When is the D day?
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 10:08   #239
BHPian

First of all, gentlemen, your noble intent is being felt even far from your physical presence. Thanks. Please excuse the delay in replying. I wanted to have done some initial action on your advice, before responding with the comments. Here I go...

Quote:
Dear Insearch,...

...For Bungee Cords, try these Tie-down Bungee Cords they are much more effective than the conventional ones. Off-Course you need the conventional ones as well.
All the best with your endeavor
Yes I would like to avoid Jugaad, if possible.
I bought two pairs of the tie down bungees, on your advice thanks.

Quote:
Try these ones out ..... they are for both sides and would be perfect....
Quote:
Wow, exactly, these are the ones that i was referring to. They are very lightweight, does the job pretty well and with 20 liter tank am sure there will be no need to carry additional fuel.

I have already raised a query on the website. No response till now. I will try and make some calls to get in touch with them today.

Regards to the gents!
Old 13th June 2013, 10:59   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its called jaali in local Nana Peth lingo.

These are from an online Delhi based Bullet accessories portal but most Bullet specialty parts stores in most cities and towns have them as well.

Lots of old rural Bullets have these.