Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th June 2013, 11:49   #241
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Try these ones out
The saree-guard shown in the photographs are of Quality brand manufactured in Chennai, from where I bought the crash-guard exclusively designed for the new Thunderbirds. This is the link to their website: http://www.qualitymetalindustries.co...ee_guards.html
J.Ravi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 22:23   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Thanks for your perspective folks, it's helpful. I have decided to give it a passť, i was not convinced with the offer from the beginning anyway.

He had requested me to have a look at the bike and i will do it tomorrow.I'll post my views once i do so, If not for me, it may be useful for someone else.
Nearly 6 months after making the booking & 4.5 months after briefly considering a used TBTS 350, I got the delivery of my TBTS 500 last evening. It did not come easily and definitely not before some yelling and screaming at the dealer. Their entire allotment process is one black box with absolutely no transparency. Royal Enfield's customer service is plain pathetic and no match to their products.

Anyway, the bike, as everyone now knows is such a treat and pleasure to ride. I only got a chance to ride about 10 KMs yesterday and the brief ride in a heavy bangalore traffic was not at all bad. I'll post a brief ownership report after I mange to ride a bit.
nemo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:07   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Nearly 6 months after making the booking & 4.5 months after briefly considering a used TBTS 350, I got the delivery of my TBTS 500 last evening. It did not come easily and definitely not before some yelling and screaming at the dealer. Their entire allotment process is one black box with absolutely no transparency. Royal Enfield's customer service is plain pathetic and no match to their products.

Anyway, the bike, as everyone now knows is such a treat and pleasure to ride. I only got a chance to ride about 10 KMs yesterday and the brief ride in a heavy bangalore traffic was not at all bad. I'll post a brief ownership report after I mange to ride a bit.
Well, I booked a TB350 in Feb '13 and I am still waiting. @Nemo, lucky you

When I booked the waiting period was 10-12 months for the 350. Now that's down to 6 - 8 months. I am expecting to get mine next month

Before booking the TB350 I took an extensive test ride on the Classic too. Although the Classic does look great with its retro styling, it was not at all comfortable. The TB on the other hand was a treat! Here's looking forward to my treat!
charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 12:56   #244
BHPian

Dear Charade, go for the 500, if you can afford it. I am just back from a Ladakh trip on the bike and I say this with conviction.
We were two riders and both had the new TBTS 500. Our bikes performed much better than our expectations. To put it in perspective, Khardungla was a non-event for the bikes, though we were fully loaded with saddle bags, pillion bag, tent, sleeping bag, et all.
In fact I realised how the character of the bike changes, once it is fully loaded, for the better. The suspension becomes less hard and soaks up the rough road much better. Second, you are able to lean into corners with aplomb. Couple of times we both had to point out to each other not to lean too much as the silencer may scrape the ground! But we never felt that we were stretching the bike beyond it's comfort in any way. What a trip, I am so glad that the bike more than lived up to it's positioning.
Here are some photographs.

This is one captures the essence of the landscape and what Biker dreams are made of:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-moon-scape.jpg

Leaving Leh, Shanti Stupa can be seen on the right
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-top-world.jpg

A lovely stretch of valley, which made me feel like riding on forever and never arriving
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-valley-stretch.jpg

I have been wondering weather to write a travelogue or not. But I do realise that there are some great Ladakh threads out on the forum, already. So I wll be content for now by saying a hearfelt thanks to the many Bhpians, whose advise, notes and brilliant photography made me take up this adventure.
I am so glad that I could live out my dream.
Thanks a ton to everyone, especially the ones that I got to interact and seek guidance from: Amolpol, ebonho, J.ravi(jee), ku69rd, mobike008. You all for me, are part of my experience and hence a thanks may not be enough...

Regards.
Insearch is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 14:07   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
I am just back from a Ladakh trip on the bike...
Welcome back! I was wondering what had happened to you. A full ride report with lots of pictures are expected...
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 16:09   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Welcome back! I was wondering what had happened to you. A full ride report with lots of pictures are expected...
Thanks Rollin Thunda! Full ride report as in a report of the bike are you want the travelogue. (I hope you mean a bike report). Pictures are not an issue. In fact we did a route that these days civilians are not allowed to travel on: We went to Chushool and onwards to Pso morriri from there. The best sceneries that I have ever seen in my life or possibly will see are on this road, although it is not appropriate to call it a road. It is just a dirt track and China will not allow us to make a road, here. Also, as per strict army requests, we did not take any pictures of this stretch. Still many other pictures to share .
Here are a couple just for you:

This one is before entering Leh from the Kashmir side.
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-dune-both-bikes.jpg

And this one taken just before the final descent to Pso Morriri
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-face-rock.jpg

Hope you like them.

Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 25th August 2013 at 16:17.
Insearch is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 18:00   #247

Quote:
I am just back from a Ladakh trip on the bike
Welcome back home, Insearch, after successful completion of Ladakh expedition on your Thunderbird 500. Did you ride all the way from Hyderabad to Ladakh and back or transport your bike, and then, continue your ride from there? I am preparing myself for a big ride in 2014!
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 18:22   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Welcome back home, Insearch, after successful completion of Ladakh expedition on your Thunderbird 500. Did you ride all the way from Hyderabad to Ladakh and back or transport your bike, and then, continue your ride from there? I am preparing myself for a big ride in 2014!
Thanks Ravijee. I had transported the bike to my friend's home in Jalandhar. From there, we rode to Srinagar and on to Leh. We avoided doing long distances in a single day and tried to enjoy the vistas. Our longest stretch in a single day was 340 Kms (Manali to Jalandhar).
Let me know if you need any tips for transportation or need a parking space for your bike at my friend's place. They are hard core sikhs and would love to play host to a traveller.
By the way, you may have no idea, how well the bike will perform in the mountains. It is completely reliable and very well powered. It would be best if you have one more biker (on an equally well powered bike) with you, for the trip.
Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 25th August 2013 at 18:23.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 18:29   #249

Quote:
Let me know if you need any tips for transportation or need a parking space for your bike at my friend's place.
Thanks a lot for the prompt response, kind offer and valuable tips, Insearch. I will contact you definitely for details when I finalize my plans in 2014.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 21:05   #250
Senior - BHPian

Dear Anurag,
Am very happy to read your thread, they are some amazing and fantastic photos as well. Very very glad that you reached back safely. If you are not keen to pen a detailed TL, can you please share the route map atleast for the benefits of wannabe riders like me

How did the bike perform, have picked up a TB 500 myself and I did find the rear suspension bottoming out at speeds above 80 Kays even though I have put it to hardest setting. Am keen on getting the spacers for the rear to raise it up by an Inch.

Looking forward for your travel details, If not a detailed one you can pen in a few sentences. This is on my radar for 2014.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 17:04   #251

Quote:
Dear Charade, go for the 500, if you can afford it. I am just back from a Ladakh trip on the bike and I say this with conviction.

Dear Insearch Sir, congrats on completing this fabulous trip! Fantastic pictures, even I really want to do a Ladakh road trip. Inshallah!

About the 350 v/s 500, I am in terrible fix. My heart says 500, my head says 350. Plan to use it in the city a fair bit and I feel that 350 might be better suited for that - keeping in mind the fuel efficiency and the traffic which will not really let me enjoy the higher displacement. Let me know what you feel. What sort of mileage do you get in the city?

Quote:
In fact we did a route that these days civilians are not allowed to travel on: We went to Chushool and onwards to Pso morriri from there. The best sceneries that I have ever seen in my life or possibly will see are on this road, although it is not appropriate to call it a road. It is just a dirt track and China will not allow us to make a road, here.
Regards.
How did you manage to get on this road?!

Cheers.
charade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 22:22   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Dear Anurag,
Am very happy to read your thread, they are some amazing and fantastic photos as well. Very very glad that you reached back safely. If you are not keen to pen a detailed TL, can you please share the route map atleast for the benefits of wannabe riders like me

How did the bike perform, have picked up a TB 500 myself and I did find the rear suspension bottoming out at speeds above 80 Kays even though I have put it to hardest setting. Am keen on getting the spacers for the rear to raise it up by an Inch.

Looking forward for your travel details, If not a detailed one you can pen in a few sentences. This is on my radar for 2014.
Thanks for the kind words. Your subtle request and hints are respected and accepted. I will try and pen down a travelogue .
I will put up the route also. Incase you need it quickly, please PM.
Regarding the bike:
Yes it does bottom out at high speeds. But at lower speeds, it mostly handles the less deep ditches very well and holds the road even if there is a lot of rubble (When loaded).I have driven it at 60+ on a dirt track for 20 kilometres (approaching Pso Morriri) and it did extremely well. I was using engine breaking on the corners and in general, to break, and was able to cover the distance much faster than a competing Innova and a group of three bikers on standards.
I wish it would cruise at a slightly higher speed. Cruises well between 80 and 90.
Will post a more detailed reply tomorrow. Please bear until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Dear Insearch Sir, congrats on completing this fabulous trip! Fantastic pictures, even I really want to do a Ladakh road trip. Inshallah!

About the 350 v/s 500, I am in terrible fix. My heart says 500, my head says 350. Plan to use it in the city a fair bit and I feel that 350 might be better suited for that - keeping in mind the fuel efficiency and the traffic which will not really let me enjoy the higher displacement. Let me know what you feel. What sort of mileage do you get in the city?

How did you manage to get on this road?!

Cheers.
As I have said earlier in response to a similar query on this very thread: We compromise on many things in life to enjoy a few pleasures, in exchange. Please be sure to compromise wisely and enjoy what you cherish .
More specifically, I get a mileage of 30+ even when I ride hard.

Regarding the route, it was simple. We had some one in North block call the commanding officer in Leh, who then called the Post commander in Chushool, who then let us through with some strict advise .
Jokes apart, it simply takes a bit of planning and using your network well, that's all.
Will share more details as and when you require.

Last edited by Insearch : 26th August 2013 at 22:24.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 22:43   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish it would cruise at a slightly higher speed. Cruises well between 80 and 90.
Anurag,
From my experienced with the Bird, think she can effortlessly cruise at 100-110 Kays all day long. Believe its more got to do with Engine Revs. The right spot and you should be comfortable as well with no body fatigue.

But on the Leh- Ladakh circuits am sure doing 60s must be a good one

Take your time buddie am pretty much on with loads of time. But yes your feelers indeed give me a whole world of confidence.

Trivial things, did the bike suffer any breakdowns? Were you let low by any punctures, CDI going Kaput? Simple but annoying stuff like a cable bust or Kickstand Spring going its way? Also did you carry any spares? If yes what were they.

Shucks you need to pen a detailed one buddie
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 23:51   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I have been wondering weather to write a travelogue or not.
...by saying a hearfelt thanks to the many Bhpians, whose advise, notes and brilliant photography made me take up this adventure.
No sir, you cannot say thanks like this. The perfect thanks to all those whom you intend to, is by way of giving us a 'Wonderful' Travelogue! The two important components of a Travelogue - Beautiful Photographs & Lucid writing - are available in abundance with you. So it is more the bad, if you do not put out a Travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
can you please share the route map atleast for the benefits of wannabe riders like me
..and your travelogue with the above details requested, will give US a chance to thank you!

- Sai
Vihari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 00:46   #255
BHPian

And moreover a good travelogue inspires others like us to take the plunge. Deep inside everyone wishes to go an adventure like this but cannot pull up the courage to dive in. Travelogues like this are an encouragement for a novice like me
azm@bpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote