Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd October 2013, 15:18   #271

Default Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Well, the first free service is scheduled for tomorrow (done about 470 kms). A few observations:

1. When I start the bike, it idles at 1000 rpm. However, as the bike runs and gets heated the idling rpm jumps to 1200 - 1250. This is after about half an hour of riding. Initially I was wondering if this is an issue with the rev meter. But on listening closely I can hear the excessive sound at idle. Is anyone else facing similar issues? IMHO the bike is running rich even at 1000 rpm. Planning to discuss this at the workshop tomorrow. If anyone has faced a similar issue and solved it, please let me know.

2. The brake light lit up today even though I had not pressed the brake. Finally, I put my foot under the rear brake pedal and gave it slight push upwards and the light went off. Not sure if this is a regular occurrence, I noticed it just once today.

3. Rust! Despite keeping it under a cover all through the rains, I can already see rust in a number of places - planning to post a few pictures here. Common RE, not on bikes that costs a lakh and a half!

But overall, very happy with the bike so far. It's running in well and the gears are becoming smoother. Now let's see how the service experience is tomorrow.
charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 21:37   #272
BHPian

i got mine delivered last friday. i could manage to clock around 175 kms. one thing which i noticed is that the gear shift has become very hard and its a real treasure hunt when i look for the ever elusive green coloured 'N' on the console.
azm@bpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 02:42   #273
Senior - BHPian

charade:
Be sure to mention the brake light issue when you go in for service.
The rear brake light switch is adjustable and it should only take them a few minutes to fix the problem.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 12:51   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Well, the first free service is scheduled for tomorrow (done about 470 kms). A few observations:

1. When I start the bike, it idles at 1000 rpm. However, as the bike runs and gets heated the idling rpm jumps to 1200 - 1250. This is after about half an hour of riding. Initially I was wondering if this is an issue with the rev meter. But on listening closely I can hear the excessive sound at idle. Is anyone else facing similar issues? IMHO the bike is running rich even at 1000 rpm. Planning to discuss this at the workshop tomorrow. If anyone has faced a similar issue and solved it, please let me know.
What kind of excessive sound? Did you mean clattering sound? If thats what it is, then it is normal.

Quote:
2. The brake light lit up today even though I had not pressed the brake. Finally, I put my foot under the rear brake pedal and gave it slight push upwards and the light went off. Not sure if this is a regular occurrence, I noticed it just once today.
Get your pedal adjusted accordingly.

Quote:
3. Rust! Despite keeping it under a cover all through the rains, I can already see rust in a number of places - planning to post a few pictures here. Common RE, not on bikes that costs a lakh and a half!
Use wax polish to clean the chrome parts every weekend. And try to cloth your bike every time you ride. Though, i am still wondering whether Teflon is good or not?
gold_heart007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 12:19   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_heart007 View Post
What kind of excessive sound? Did you mean clattering sound? If thats what it is, then it is normal.

Get your pedal adjusted accordingly.

Use wax polish to clean the chrome parts every weekend. And try to cloth your bike every time you ride. Though, i am still wondering whether Teflon is good or not?
@gold_heart007, Excessive sound at idle as if the throttle is open more than usual.

So, the first service went off OK, though I am still not sure. Let me explain.

1. The idle was set lower. So at start up the bike idles at ~700 rpm and needle moves up to 1000 rpm as it warms up. Though I still don't understand why the rpm must increase?? I also drive a Mahindra Logan and have noticed that when I start my car it idles at ~1200 rpm and subsequently the idling rpm comes down to ~700 rpm. This makes sense logically as I would expect the engine to take more fuel initially so that it warms up to the ideal temperature faster. Not sure why it is the other way around on the Thunderbird. Any clues people?

2. The rear brake had a lot more bite after the service and I was pleasantly surprised! The next day I rode to work (about 15 kms) and I noticed a squeaking (for lack of a better word, like un-oiled door hinges) noise whenever I would slow down. In the evening when I started from office the noise wasn't there any more. But by the time I reached home I could hear it again. I switched off the bike and just rolled it to and fro and there it was the squeaking noise again. Next morning it was gone again!

Anyways, I analyzed this some more and I came to the following conclusion:
a. The noise seems to be coming from the rear disc brake
b. It comes after riding for about 20 - 30 mins
c. It vanishes if the bike is left to stand for sometime

I went back to the RE workshop with my bike one evening. The person in charge took a short ride and said:
a. Your bike has fantastic rear brakes; on most RE bikes the rear brakes are non-existent (he refused to believe me when I said that this had happened post the first service; apparently they didn't touch the brakes)
b. The noise comes only while braking (I said that's not correct, but he wouldn't believe me) and we will have to open the brakes and scrape the pads a bit so that they don't rub against the disc

Now, I am not sure what exactly is to be done. I don't want the RE workshop opening the rear discs if there is some other solution. Can any of the Gurus on the forum help with this issue?
charade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 02:09   #276
Senior - BHPian

Occasionally, the factory will overfill the hydraulic fluid in the brake systems.

I have seen several Royal Enfields which had this problem to such an extent that the front brake could not totally release when the brake lever was untouched.

If you have a 8mm socket wrench or open end wrench (spanner) you can try this fix.

Examine the rear brake caliper looking at the piston area where the hydraulic brake tube connects to it. You should see a small hexagon fitting with a rubber cap covering it.

Remove the cap by prying it off of the fitting end.
Using the 8mm wrench, turn the hexagon fitting counterclockwise about 1/2 turn.
If excess fluid is present in the system, a small amount will leak out.
Use a old rag to wipe any fluid that escapes. Do not allow any of this fluid to contact the painted areas of your motorcycle. It will dissolve the paint.

When the fluid stops leaking out of the fitting, tighten it back up. Put the rubber cap back on the end of the fitting and your done.

This may not resolve your problem and if it doesn't you have two choices.
Learn to live with it. It will probably go away as the brake pads wear in after a few hundred km have been ridden.
The more you use the brake, the faster the brake pads will wear in.

Return the motorcycle to the dealer and allow them to remove the brake pads and rough up their surface.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 13:49   #277
BHPian

Something unrelated but would be of interest to all the TB owners. Today while going thru the owners manual I hit upon the 'Operation of Control' page (#30). To my surprise the alpha-numeric display unit image showed DTE that's Distance To Empty!! To confirm it, I checked the same with the bike. You can see it clearly for a couple of seconds when switch on the ignition. I am amazed as to why RE has kept such an important feature dormant. With the bike equipped with ECU its a minor tweaking all that is required.

Is there any way if this feature can be activated thru a DIY job at home?

I have seen elsewhere in this forum guys activating such features on the MID of Chevy Beat.
azm@bpl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 13:52   #278
BHPian

Pls refer to this image. This is what I was referring to in the previous post.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131106_135125.png
Views: 1115
Size:  282.6 KB
azm@bpl is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 13:06   #279
BHPian

DTE is supposed to be for export models.
And with how wildly inaccurate my fuel meter seems to be, I'd guess it was a planned feature which never saw the light of the day.
arjun.r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 13:21   #280
BHPian

Good observation azm@bp.

If DTE option is there in the odometer, then probably there is someway it can be activated. [nothing comes unintentionally]. Probably someone with more indepth knowledge and tweaking capabilities with electronics, can throw some light as to how to activate the same.

Experts, please advise.
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 15:00   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl View Post
Is there any way if this feature can be activated thru a DIY job at home?
I have seen elsewhere in this forum guys activating such features on the MID of Chevy Beat.
There are three possibilities on this matter:

1) Don't you think it is possible to activate those features (DTE,mpg,miles) meant for the export models by pressing the key combinations, just the way we how we deactivate the spanner symbol (notifying the service schedule) ? I have strongly feel that it might be possible by doing so.

2) Else, the instrument panel must be hooked up to a computer for the modifications.

3) It is not possible to simultaneously use both the Indian version and Export version features. Either the instrument panel system has to be used only on Indian version(KM,kmph) or Export version(DTE,mpg,miles).
bhasker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 22:28   #282
BHPian

Check out this link. Can we try this kind of a job on TB?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...o-console.html

Dear experts please butt-in!!
azm@bpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 08:41   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl View Post
Check out this link. Can we try this kind of a job on TB?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...o-console.html
It is likely that a modification is possible, but I don't think installing a key on the circuit board willl help. The features might be enabled by some software modification or by pressing the key combinations. This can only be figured out by dismantling the instrument panel.

Experts please leave your suggestions on this.

Regards
bhasker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 12:23   #284
BHPian

Couldn't help posting a very well captured pic of my friend Sushil Vashisht's TBTS 500 .

I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-1422350_10201816269421309_2022982157_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
As I have said earlier in response to a similar query on this very thread: We compromise on many things in life to enjoy a few pleasures, in exchange. Please be sure to compromise wisely and enjoy what you cherish .
More specifically, I get a mileage of 30+ even when I ride hard.
Insearch, what is the mileage figures you are getting currently? And by how much did they differ while riding in Leh?

Last edited by SJD@NewDelhi : 14th November 2013 at 12:25.
SJD@NewDelhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:36   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post

Insearch, what is the mileage figures you are getting currently? And by how much did they differ while riding in Leh?
The bike continues to give me above 30, around Hyderabad, where I drive mostly in areas with no traffic signals. During our Leh drive we consistently managed 26+ and sometimes closer to 30 Kmpl. The reason is that the TBTS, compared to the Classic, has a taller gearing. While this compromises the Torque and accelaration just a bit, it allows you to hold the gear longer and basicaly the engine is more relaxed at each speed versus the Classic.
Regards.
Insearch is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote