Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th January 2013, 11:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Could Non Pune-ites get a peek at these?
Sure. This is military green and black. You also get all black, and camo and black. Around 2400 bucks now. Much more volume than other popular brands, lots of flaps and pockets, ample straps and buckles, water resistant inner and outer covers, 2.5 L bottle pockets on each side, reflective strips, and padded hard inner base (towards tyre) on each side to maintain shape and for support. Tried and tested/abused, and truly worth it. Most times we just throw on the loaded bags over the seat - they sit snugly and do not move around even without tying on the straps.

Made by mountaineers (a member of the same group that did Everest from Pune last year - Giripremi). Also make tents, haversacks and other hiking and mountaineering stuff which is their main business - these saddlebags they designed and made specially for Bulleteers and now its become a good side business. Disclaimer: I am simply a happy repeat customer with no affiliation or financial conflict of interest here!

I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-dscn0031.jpg

I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-dscn0061.jpg

P.S. I have used these same bags on my Duke as well - with some modifications to the anchor points and strap extensions.

Quote:
Just looking at that beauty in all it's glory makes me want to go out, buy an old bullet and restore it ...... By the way, was that a butterfly Guard...?
Thanks man.

That's the notorious airfly crash guard. Another problem with it I forgot to mention is that the welds where the 3 horizontal bars meet the vertical bar tend to crack over time - I got 2 changed from the manufacturer before giving up and duping them (both brands -Swastik and Turnrite - its a design flaw).

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2013 at 11:50.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 23:51   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Sure. This is military green and black. You also get all black, and camo and black. Around 2400 bucks now. Much more volume than other popular brands, lots of flaps and pockets, ample straps and buckles, water resistant inner and outer covers, 2.5 L bottle pockets on each side, reflective strips, and padded hard inner base (towards tyre) on each side to maintain shape and for support. Tried and tested/abused, and truly worth it. Most times we just throw on the loaded bags over the seat - they sit snugly and do not move around even without tying on the straps.
Wow! And I went crazy searching for the right gear, among my list were saddle bags, sleeping bag and a tent. Though I bought the dirtsack saddle bags, these bags definitely sound more functional.
Quote:
Made by mountaineers (a member of the same group that did Everest from Pune last year - Giripremi). Also make tents, haversacks and other hiking and mountaineering stuff which is their main business - these saddlebags they designed and made specially for Bulleteers and now its become a good side business. Disclaimer: I am simply a happy repeat customer with no affiliation or financial conflict of interest here!
I did buy a sleeping bag, but may need to buy another one. The tent is still on the to buy list. Would you recommend there tents and sleeping bags for a bike trip to Leh? A Simple yes or no will do, since this may not be the correct place to discuss this. Based on your answer I will send you a PM
By the way checked out your gear, it is good stuff, expensive and you are lucky!
Quote:
Those are beautiful pictures. The blue of the bike contrasts so well with the white background. And the fresh tyre marks in the untouched snow are just priceless.I guess this is the other bullet that you had mentioned in the earlier post. Where is this?

Quote:
That's the notorious airfly crash guard. Another problem with it I forgot to mention is that the welds where the 3 horizontal bars meet the vertical bar tend to crack over time - I got 2 changed from the manufacturer before giving up and duping them (both brands -Swastik and Turnrite - its a design flaw).
I guess for any one reading this thread, that could be the last nail in the coffin as far as the airfly design goes.
Insearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 13:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Sir... Well you see, actually, what I want to say is that, somehow, it so happens, that...ahem, GoGreen Motors has run out of leg guards.
There! I said it!
Ha ha! No worries mate. My bike is yet to come. So I won't start chasing you for few more days at least.

Quote:

Those saddlebags are great. Even I'm planning a trip to Leh in May. Can I contact you for sourcing these saddlebags and tents etc? Do they have a website for their products? Can you PM me those details?
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 21:18   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Ha ha! No worries mate. My bike is yet to come. So I won't start chasing you for few more days at least.
Well, I plan to visit the RE showroom, to check out the accessories there. Will keep you updated.

Quote:
Those saddlebags are great. Even I'm planning a trip to Leh in May. Can I contact you for sourcing these saddlebags and tents etc? Do they have a website for their products? Can you PM me those details?
Please share this with me also, ebonho's library has been a treasure trove!

For your Leh trip, have you got a group? How many days and how are you planning to do this, why May, I heard August is better. Please PM.

Coming Back to the bike, did two things today. Tested the external battery that I had bought (Page 4, post 63 of this thread). And went for a ride with the Hyderabad Wanderers.
I had plugged in the mapmyindia GPS into the battery for powersupply. Stayed switched on for 5 hours without any hiccups. Could have been more, but that is the time I coud test it for.
The ride was a good experience. I am not a large group person, and prefer to be with a couple of friends (if not alone), huddled in some quite corner, out of sight, so this was something else! There were about 40+ riders, and a mix of veterans and newbies, like me. I learnt a few things about group drivng dynamics, signs, rules and just the noise and attention that REs grab, when they ride together. Thanks mobike008, for the invite.
If some one has not tried this yet, I recommend it, to even those who would head the other side of town if the party was happening in their backyards. Some snaps.

Re-grouping:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-group.jpg
And parked beauties:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-img_4186.jpg

Last edited by Insearch : 26th January 2013 at 21:20.
Insearch is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did buy a sleeping bag, but may need to buy another one. The tent is still on the to buy list. Would you recommend there tents and sleeping bags for a bike trip to Leh? A Simple yes or no will do, since this may not be the correct place to discuss this. Based on your answer I will send you a PM
Their bags and tents were used by the team to Everest. Sure you can PM me. Would be glad to help.

Quote:
Those are beautiful pictures. The blue of the bike contrasts so well with the white background. And the fresh tyre marks in the untouched snow are just priceless.I guess this is the other bullet that you had mentioned in the earlier post. Where is this?
Reckong Peo, against the Kinner Kailash and Dhauladhar mountain ranges, mid winter 2010 December. Temperature -17 deg C.

Quote:
Sure you can contact me. Would be glad to help.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 13:39   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A little late to the party, nevertheless, Congrats for the T'Bird!
Seems like we chose to photograph the bike at the same place (assuming this is the road just ahead of the Wipro Circle)! Here's mine taken almost 2.5 years back.
Thats a cool snap!!How did you take it..I wish to take the same for my upcoming TB500

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th January 2013 at 11:22. Reason: Please DONT quote pictures
Smokeymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 21:06   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Their bags and tents were used by the team to Everest. Sure you can PM me. Would be glad to help.
That is a high enough benchmark. Will send the PM, thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Reckong Peo, against the Kinner Kailash and Dhauladhar mountain ranges, mid winter 2010 December. Temperature -17 deg C.
-17 degrees! Wouldn't the bike slip on the road at those temperatures, at the slightest hint of ice? Also the fact that once the ice gets into the tread, you would lose whatsoever little grip you have? Any tips are welcome. My concerns are about the ice and less about the snow. Snow is slightly easier to handle, as long as it is not lying next to a big rock, or a bus or truck has not gone over it, converting it to ice. On the other hand Ice is as bad as an oil spill, may be worse, since it forms an invisible layer on the road sometimes, and you come to know too late. (one of those moments when all our discussions on the crash guards are put to the real test and we walk away with experiences to share)

Last edited by Insearch : 28th January 2013 at 21:09.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a high enough benchmark. Will send the PM, thanks for the offer.
That's just an indication of his quality. There are many different grades of equipment for different applications. For most bikers, the most extreme thing you would do is Ladakh in riding season. For that his lower medium range (temperature rating, stuffing, etc.) would suffice.

Quote:
-17 degrees! Wouldn't the bike slip on the road at those temperatures, at the slightest hint of ice? Also the fact that once the ice gets into the tread, you would lose whatsoever little grip you have? Any tips are welcome. My concerns are about the ice and less about the snow. Snow is slightly easier to handle, as long as it is not lying next to a big rock, or a bus or truck has not gone over it, converting it to ice. On the other hand Ice is as bad as an oil spill, may be worse, since it forms an invisible layer on the road sometimes, and you come to know too late. (one of those moments when all our discussions on the crash guards are put to the real test and we walk away with experiences to share)
There is no issue riding through snow once you overcome your mental block. We rode to a place called Chitkul, very close to the Tibetan border, and the last 30 odd kms of the route was through a verdant white blanket untouched by tyre marks. The snow was so deep, our riding boots on the footpegs were shoveling through it in most places (and you had to be careful of snow hidden rocks). You rode by reckoning as to where exactly the road finished and where the edges were because everything was pristine white and featureless.

That's me standing besides the "road" with the bikes' tyre furrows in the foreground once we reached the locked down for winter village.

I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-dscn0087.jpg

Its the black ice early mornings (before the sun has had time to melt the overnight freeze) in those parts of the twisty mountain constantly in shade that you need to watch out for. No brakes, bike 90 degree upright, zero lean, smooth slow speed with no sudden throttle inputs. Anything else and you will go down (plus side is that if you are not caught out by surprise, the speed is so slow, that there is minimal damage to self or bike). Its actually rarely black. Looks like a wet shiny patch of dirty brown tarmac.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 21:01   #129
BHPian

Quote:
That's just an indication of his quality. There are many different grades of equipment for different applications. For most bikers, the most extreme thing you would do is Ladakh in riding season. For that his lower medium range (temperature rating, stuffing, etc.) would suffice.
Lower medium range ( Lower prices too)! Bring it on!

Quote:
That's me standing besides the "road" with the bikes' tyre furrows in the foreground once we reached the locked down for winter village.

Attachment 1044393
You look much younger, than your recent photographs on the Duke thread.

Quote:
Its the black ice early mornings (before the sun has had time to melt the overnight freeze) in those parts of the twisty mountain constantly in shade that you need to watch out for. No brakes, bike 90 degree upright, zero lean, smooth slow speed with no sudden throttle inputs. Anything else and you will go down (plus side is that if you are not caught out by surprise, the speed is so slow, that there is minimal damage to self or bike). Its actually rarely black. Looks like a wet shiny patch of dirty brown tarmac.
Makes complete sense, except that it would require a certain kind of Bravado to ride an approximation of a road .
Old 31st January 2013, 11:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I plan to visit the RE showroom, to check out the accessories there. Will keep you updated.
For your Leh trip, have you got a group? How many days and how are you planning to do this, why May, I heard August is better. Please PM.
Good news - Finally got THE eternal call from RE JayaNagar asking me to make payment on Monday and plan for delivery next week.Getting DD and other documents ready in the meanwhile until then.
Bad news - They still don't have the crash guards. I'm planning to visit a couple of RE accessories shop in JC road this weekend. If I'm not able to find one for new TB500, I'll ping you mate!

Regarding Leh - I had planned in May so that my wife and daughter can stay with my in-laws during that time. August is also there in my mind. I'll confirm by next month and unfortunately, I don't have a group yet. What are your plans? Any possibility of clubbing together?
Quote:
Sure you can contact me. Would be glad to help.
Thanks Mate. I'll ping you soon.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 17:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymist View Post
Thats a cool snap!!How did you take it..I wish to take the same for my upcoming TB500
Nikon D3100+ Sigma 10-20 is what I used.

Sorry for the OT again, Insearch!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 20:13   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Good news - Finally got THE eternal call from RE JayaNagar asking me to make payment on Monday and plan for delivery next week.
In the same boat as you Ventoman. Made payments yesterday, going through the longest next 7-8 days now.

A request to all current owners;
  • Any tips on PDI check for the TB500?
  • Would Randhwa's tips in his thread (classic 500 thread) be good to go for the TB too
sam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 22:06   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Nikon D3100+ Sigma 10-20 is what I used.

Sorry for the OT again, Insearch!
No problem.Maybe can catch up sometime and discuss photography.

Quote:
Good news - Finally got THE eternal call from RE JayaNagar asking me to make payment on Monday and plan for delivery next week.Getting DD and other documents ready in the meanwhile until then.
Bad news - They still don't have the crash guards. I'm planning to visit a couple of RE accessories shop in JC road this weekend. If I'm not able to find one for new TB500, I'll ping you mate!
First of all many many Congratulations! Start buying the stuff that you would want to have for the bike. I have found it easier to spread the expenses out, rather than do them at one go.
Regarding the guard, you are most welcome. Just an addition, while I have not seen the guard myself, a mechanic commented that the guard does not have enough width to protect the wider tank of the Thunderbird. Let's keep each other informed of this as and when we get to see this first hand.

Quote:
Regarding Leh - I had planned in May so that my wife and daughter can stay with my in-laws during that time. August is also there in my mind. I'll confirm by next month and unfortunately, I don't have a group yet. What are your plans? Any possibility of clubbing together?

Thanks Mate. I'll ping you soon.
We are just two friends, right now (both have the new thunderbird) and would be happy to have company. Based on whatever I have read in the Ladakh planning thread, August mid to end is considered a better time. Please PM for further discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
In the same boat as you Ventoman. Made payments yesterday, going through the longest next 7-8 days now.

A request to all current owners;
  • Any tips on PDI check for the TB500?
  • Would Randhwa's tips in his thread (classic 500 thread) be good to go for the TB too
Congrats to you too sam_b! It would be good to have more T-Bird riders to share views and comments with.
I followed Randhawa's PDI routine and it worked pretty well for me, since the bikes are essentially the same engine. Just a few things to add, that I can think of:
  • The rear mudguard will be misaligned and the number plate will be tilted to one side. This is a trademark, do not fret
  • Sit on the bike and check the break pedal position. I have checked this on 4 different thunderbirds and found the pedals in different positions on all of them. Either they are getting mauled in transportation or the manufacturer is playing a game of hit and trial with us. Anyway, just check that your foot is able to rest itself on the whole of the horizontal line of the rubber, if not on the rubber itself, when you press the pedal. If it is not horizontal to your foot, your foot will tend to slip off on application of pressure, especially when wet or in rain. Have it corrected.
  • The meters are put together in such a way that they will shake a bit. My guess is that they are designed this way, so as to absorb the shocks better. Do not fret (again)
  • Take it for a ride, leave the handle bar at a speed of 45-55 and check if the handle bar shakes from side to side. If it does, you need to get the wheels aligned.
  • Check the silencer bend pipe for any rust
  • Some people have complained that the black part at the end of the silencer is scratched or falling. I have had no such issue
  • Casually, check the Speedo reading on the other bikes in the showroom (You will have to ask for the keys). They should have very similar reading. If your bike has more KM reading, than it may have been used for test rides, though RE does not allow this. My dealer had given me a test on a Desert Storm, which I found later, was waiting for delivery. Also if you are asked to pick one of two bikes, choose the dirtier one. The one that has been in the showroom longer will have been cleaned more often, but is also susceptible to have been abused by test riders.
  • There will be a "Mosquito sound" when you apply the front break at speeds above 20 KPH. This is normal and has to do with the flow of break oil.
  • Keep your patience, the staff does not understand your passion and eye for detail. Tip them before you leave (Even better if you take some sweets along). It will make subsequent visits easier for you.
While I have read this often about REs, but it registers very differently, when you experience it first hand: The bike will not be perfectly ready due to various reasons, and you will get to know it better and take care of it. Lovely thing you have gifted yourself! You are going to enjoy it more because of the subtle demands for attention that it will put on you

Looking forward to your and Ventoman's updates.
Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 31st January 2013 at 22:11.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 22:25   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats to you too sam_b! It would be good to have more T-Bird riders to share views and comments with.
I followed Randhawa's PDI routine and it worked pretty well for me, since the bikes are essentially the same engine. Just a few things to add, that I can think of:...

Looking forward to your and Ventoman's updates.
Regards.
Thanks Insearch. Appreciate the additional points you mentioned (especially as a couple of them WILL save the fret).
Will surely update on the delivery as it happens.
sam_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 19:32   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No problem.Maybe can catch up sometime and discuss photography.
Sure thing! The bird looks particularly photogenic!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote