Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th January 2013, 11:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a light, easy to ride bike for the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Here are my requirements:

1. Self start, strictly no kicking required
2. Must be light weight in handling. two women have to handle it all by themselves
3. mileage - to drive to workplace in peak traffic hours
4. low maintenance
Following are your options:

1) Bajaj XCD 125/135 - Extremely peppy to ride in traffic. Looks good and supported by Bajaj Service network.

2) Honda Shine - Super smooth engine. Good to ride. Bullet proof Honda reliability.

3) Hero Passion Pro - Proven vehicle. Hero Service network. Questionable looks though (personal opinion).

4) TVS Jive - Have never rode one, but the thought of riding a "clutchless" bike in traffic sounds interesting.

5) Just launched Mahindra's Centuro and Pantero. Both 110 CC.

Best suggestion - Test ride all brands yourself and decide what appeals you most . More or less, all the commuter bikes in the segment serve the purpose well, what matters is the individual product appeal and user comfort .

Happy hunting!!

Cheers.

Last edited by ironshark : 7th January 2013 at 11:52.
ironshark is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 19:11   #17
BHPian

To me, when many people I know are switching from bikes to gearless scooters, this looks road less taken. Having a scooter is a bit more advantageous in more subtle terms, for e.g. one can ride with saree / such dress. One doesnt really bother about the luggage!
That said, why not a bike? Bikes are more stable, more back friendly (my personal view), fun to ride along and of course, more frugal.

I suggest taking an used bike, service and tone it down a bit (no wheelies!) and use for a couple of months then decide whether you would like to continue. Now a days, scoots are comparable to most light weight machines esp in city traffic. If you like, take a good test ride of all the bikes and choose one that you like the most!

Happy riding!

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 7th January 2013 at 19:12. Reason: Unquote.
babu.sundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 13:20   #18
Oxy
BHPian

I just spoke to the TVS customer care and they say that the Jive has been phased out.

I agree with most of the comments here. The best bet would be to try out first if you are comfortable handling a geared bike.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 13:56   #19
Oxy
BHPian

@WoW,

So which bike did you zero on to? I am in the same boat as you and need to take a decision soon!!

Did you test ride the new Bajaj Discover 100T?

Last edited by Oxy : 14th January 2013 at 13:57.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:38   #20
BHPian

yes, I bought a new vespa. loving it so far. any suggestions on the accessories?
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:55   #21
BHPian

Here check this out, it may help you with decision making http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...amaha-ray.aspx
yikes6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
yes, I bought a new vespa. loving it so far. any suggestions on the accessories?
Excellent choice I'd say. Vespa has lot many accessories for their scooter, may be a bit expensive but worth it. Go for the functional types first, especially the rubber mat for the floor board, it is made of metal and painted in body colour, the rubber strips / beading which comes as standard fitting does not do the job, it really needs to be protected, its very prone to scratches. Happy riding.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Looking for a light, easy to ride bike for the city?

Quote:
Congratulations.

What made you finally zero in on a gearless scooter? What colour is it? How do you find the performance, ride quality and the handling in a Vespa esp on the busy Ghodbunder Road particluarly on the hill stretches? I am sure you will penning your ownership experience.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 22:19   #24
BHPian

Default Help required for finalizing a light weight bike!

Hi bhpians,

I've a Unicorn and would like to shift to a lighter and reliable bike as i found the present bike to be too heavy for my needs of long driving to office and when pillion is seated.

Thereby, please suggest me a very light(like Splendor) weight, good engine and which will have very less maintainence bike for my daily office commute of around 60Kms up and down.

Thanks and Regards,
Ramki
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 22:30   #25
BHPian

Smile Re: Help required for finalizing a light weight bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi bhpians,

I've a Unicorn and would like to shift to a lighter and reliable bike as i found the present bike to be too heavy for my needs of long driving to office and when pillion is seated.

Thereby, please suggest me a very light(like Splendor) weight, good engine and which will have very less maintainence bike for my daily office commute of around 60Kms up and down.

Thanks and Regards,
Ramki
Hi Ramki, you can check out the Honda Twister. Its pretty light, handles well and is pretty fuel efficient too.

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 22:50   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Help required for finalizing a light weight bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi bhpians,

......Thereby, please suggest me a very light(like Splendor)
Why not splendor itself? It is a proven zero maintenance bike.
In present scenario discover 100t is the best with latest technology (and having better control & road manner then splendor).
(Alok) is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 22:51   #27
BHPian

Thanks Aditya, i will consider twister, any other good options from other manufacturers?
I would like to try out all which suit my criteria

Thanks.

Last edited by ramki067 : 14th March 2013 at 22:54.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 23:40   #28
BHPian

The plain jane discover 100 (not the new 100T) probably? light bike with good milage and hopefully reliable as we see loads of them on the streets.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 00:11   #29
BHPian

Quite the opposite in my case. I have a Stunner and I keep reverting back to my Unicorn since I find the Stunner "too light" to handle!

Why don't you consider the Stunner? Or else the new Discover 125ST? They seem pretty light. I am also anticipating that the lack of power while moving from a 150cc to a 100cc might be steep, so a 125cc might be just right.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 00:23   #30
BHPian

I second Aditya's suggestion for Twister. It is light, quick, smooth, fuel efficient and stylish compared to Discover and any other Bajaj. A friend claims that his twister gives 60 km/pl. IMO Bajaj vehicles, after a couple of years start ageing soon. Have 2 at home.
Given your daily traveling, gearless sccoters are out of consideration owing to lower mileage. If not, you can check Honda Dio (my personal favorite) and Suzuki Access.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote