Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st January 2013, 15:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Yamaha to launch an upmarket (macho) Scooter

Autocar India reports launch of a new scooter by Yamaha to join the 113 cc Ray. link

Quote:
2013 looks like becoming the year of the scooter in the Indian two-wheeler market. Yamaha are now on the verge of introducing a larger, all-new and macho automatic scooter, in a bid to make deeper inroads into the Indian scooter market.

Yamaha’s latest scooter will house a four-stroke, single-cylinder and air-cooled engine displacing in the region of 125cc, offering the conveniences of an electric starter and automatic transmission. Expect this engine to offer slightly more power than provided by the Ray.

Yamaha plans to launch this exciting new scooter by around mid 2013.
Name:  yamaha.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  20.0 KB

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st January 2013 at 15:08.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Yamaha to launch an upmarket (macho) Scooter

If Yamaha thinks introducing a scooter (pls note automatic transmission & electric starter) with slightly more power than Ray & market it as a Macho scooter then me thinks they should get their strategy reworked.

Wouldnt such an offering cannibalize its existing product which is still yet to get a grip of the market? Are they going to meet the same fate as Swish/Access, Activa/Aviator combo? I think they should introduce the Zuma series or the TMAX/Majesty scooters if they want to sell macho looking scooters
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Yamaha to launch an upmarket (macho) Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If Yamaha thinks introducing a scooter (pls note automatic transmission & electric starter) with slightly more power than Ray & market it as a Macho scooter then me thinks they should get their strategy reworked.

Wouldnt such an offering cannibalize its existing product which is still yet to get a grip of the market? Are they going to meet the same fate as Swish/Access, Activa/Aviator combo? I think they should introduce the Zuma series or the TMAX/Majesty scooters if they want to sell macho looking scooters
May be the report should just read that it plans to introduce another scooter offering slightly more power. May be this time, they would use John for this showing his rear. In my opinion, a good move to launch another scooter.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 21:57   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Yamaha to launch an upmarket (macho) Scooter

Scooters like Wego, Scooty are 90% prefered by women.

Activa and aviator are used by both men and women.

If Yamaha launches such macho scooters, then it would be only for Men. So i think, that would be a foolish thing from Yamaha. The scooters sales are going up because everyone prefers to use it because of its simplicity. with the Macho scooter, i think the scooter will again become bulky and wouldnt be prefered by aam Junta, ladies and old people. So here itself, yamaha has lost significant number of customers. (a bit senior men and ladies)

Another important point is, Scooters are not good when it comes to FE. With such macho scooters, the FE would definitely go for a toss. With ever rising petrol prices, i would say mature people would definitely stay away from it. i wont be surprised to hear a 25 Kmpl from such a scooter because my activa hardly gives 40KMPL.

However i have a gut feeling that, Students will LOVE IT like anything.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 21st January 2013 at 22:00. Reason: adding value
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Yamaha to launch an upmarket (macho) Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Scooters like Wego, Scooty are 90% prefered by women.Activa and aviator are used by both men and women.
Scooters are not good when it comes to FE.
I wouldnt agree to it. Most of the times scooters bought by the women are ridden by men in the family. Most of the scooters available now are unisex and appeal to all ages.
I remember Kinetic Blaze was one macho looking scooter but was mostly seen ridden by the women folk. Scooters are the simplest and easiest way to get from Point A to Point B and are selling mainly because of the FE they get comparable to the bikes. Yamaha should introduce first in segment features in any new offering like ABS, digital speedometer/console etc instead of branding them as macho scooters.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:59   #6
BHPian

I believe Yamaha should look into 250CC segment asap rather than the MACHO scooter. Its a long pending sector from them. Honda alone with some pie of KTM is enjoying this segment.

150 market is done by Yamaha.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:15   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I wouldnt agree to it. Most of the times scooters bought by the women are ridden by men in the family. Most of the scooters available now are unisex and appeal to all ages.
I remember Kinetic Blaze was one macho looking scooter but was mostly seen ridden by the women folk. Scooters are the simplest and easiest way to get from Point A to Point B and are selling mainly because of the FE they get comparable to the bikes. Yamaha should introduce first in segment features in any new offering like ABS, digital speedometer/console etc instead of branding them as macho scooters.
The same 110 CC activa hardly gives 40 KMPl (there are 3 in my circle and all give the same FE in city.) where as my Karizma sometimes gives 35KMpl in city. which is a 225 CC one. My friend's shine consistantly gives 55KMpl.

So from this your FE equation is flawed.

Regarding your comparo with Blaze, by looking at it, it is meant for males. and it is a market DUD.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote