Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 12:18   #151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 987
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

On a Ninja 300, there are two main issues for hooking up a saddle bag with pillion:

1. That angular muscle that protrudes from the pillion seat. It is quite sharp and I feel it can dent a car! This protruding sharp plastic will poke a dent in the saddle bag.
2. The wide eared rear turn indicators. They pop out far too much, so they will interfere with any saddlebag.

Name:  Ninja luggage1.png
Views: 7246
Size:  426.0 KB

So the effective width of a saddle bag is only between the turn indicator and the pillion foot rest, which is really not much. I tried Rynox Nomad bag, but felt that the pillion foot rest were not usable after putting it on. I am thinking of adding a separator (similar to frame slider) that goes from underneath the bike, which will protrude slightly beyond the indicators. This way, the saddle bags will not have to be stopped by the indicators, and can be pushed back, thus liberating foot space for the pillion.

Name:  Ninja luggage.png
Views: 1819
Size:  282.2 KB

Does this idea make sense? The separator can be removed anytime. It will be similar to the luggage hooks, only it will be using the underseat bolts and will be wider (and stronger).
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 16:35   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I tried Rynox Nomad bag, but felt that the pillion foot rest were not usable after putting it on.
I tried the Nomads on the 650 but it hits the indicators and touches the pillion foot rest which would make it very uncomfortable for the pillion. So settled for a tank bag and learnt to pack light .

Your idea of a separator is good but it would push the nomads even more toward the front of the bike making the pillion footrest unusable.

Suggest you look for smaller saddle bags with a support like this which will keep the bags firmly in place. http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+prod...+Set/index.htm
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 17:01   #153
BHPian
 
harsha.muvva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 181
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
On a Ninja 300, there are two main issues for hooking up a saddle bag with pillion:

2. The wide eared rear turn indicators. They pop out far too much, so they will interfere with any saddlebag.

We faced similar problems me and my friend were on hunt for saddle bags for his rsv4!

After trying zeus,rynox and viaterra claw we finally went with viaterra claw which is a perfect fit and doesnt fiddle with the indicators and he even did a 1200 km ride with the claw and has faced no problem!

A friend of mine also used claw on his N300, toured extensively including a trip to bhutan and was all praises for it.So i suggest to try out claw once before doing any modificiations.

Regards,
Harsha
harsha.muvva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 17:05   #154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 987
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
A friend of mine also used claw on his N300, toured extensively including a trip to bhutan and was all praises for it.So i suggest to try out claw once before doing any modificiations.
I need to take the pillion along, hence Claw is not useful for me. Else I risk of being 'clawed' by an angry pillion

Any experience of Viaterra Rapide on Ninja 300?
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 17:27   #155
BHPian
 
harsha.muvva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 181
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I need to take the pillion along, hence Claw is not useful for me. Else I risk of being 'clawed' by an angry pillion

Any experience of Viaterra Rapide on Ninja 300?

Oops I missed that

No personal experience with Rapide but from the pics looks like it will solve your issue.Just give viaterra guys a call and share your concerns, they will be more than happy to help you out.

If this fails, then tank bag is the only option i could think of!
harsha.muvva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 18:56   #156
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,207
Thanked: 1,057 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am thinking of adding a separator
If you are Ok with getting a bolt on part for your luggage solution, why not get a proper luggage carrier A'la givi and mount a tail bag or a duffel bag? Would also act as a back rest for the pillion

Check out Sridhu's and Nasir Kaka's posts to get an idea of what I am talking about

All the best
Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 16:12   #157
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 987
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

^^^ Thanks for the pointers. I felt that the luggage racks were bit overkill for my utility. I checked Nomad, DSG's inhouse saddle bags and Viaterra rapide.

1. Nomad have great quality, but not useful on Ninja 300. Would easily touch the silencer, and pillion seating was questionable.
2. DSG inhouse bag was good size, perfectly fitting, but very poor quality. After seeing a bag torn in storage, I skipped the purchase.
3. Viaterra rapide seem pretty small. But they fit very good on Ninja. With my spacer idea, the chances of them hitting the silencer are very less.

So I am left with three options, no saddlebag, or big one with chance of hitting silencer, or small one without hitting silencer. I am going ahead with the purchase of Viaterra rapide. At Rs.2,900 with rain covers, it is priced properly. Its quality seems much better than the 4000rs one of DSG. Hope it proves good in use.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 17:23   #158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyd
Posts: 252
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ Thanks for the pointers. I felt that the luggage racks were bit overkill for my utility. I checked Nomad, DSG's inhouse saddle bags and Viaterra rapide.

1. Nomad have great quality, but not useful on Ninja 300. Would easily touch the silencer, and pillion seating was questionable.
2. DSG inhouse bag was good size, perfectly fitting, but very poor quality. After seeing a bag torn in storage, I skipped the purchase.
3. Viaterra rapide seem pretty small. But they fit very good on Ninja. With my spacer idea, the chances of them hitting the silencer are very less.

So I am left with three options, no saddlebag, or big one with chance of hitting silencer, or small one without hitting silencer. I am going ahead with the purchase of Viaterra rapide. At Rs.2,900 with rain covers, it is priced properly. Its quality seems much better than the 4000rs one of DSG. Hope it proves good in use.
ViaTerra Rapide is not suitable for the n300, you will have to skip it. It doesn't touch the turn signals however due to its side panels it pushes the bag to touch the exhaust when loaded. I have personally checked it. You can pm me if you need any pictures of it

Last edited by nosfreak : 14th January 2015 at 17:25.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 17:37   #159
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 987
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

^^^ Oh man, if even rapide doesn't fit, I will have to send my stuff by courier ahead! Still scratching brain for the luggage solutions. Hopefully my welder and fitter will have some ideas.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 23:06   #160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Hello

Can any of the fellow BHPian suggest a good saddle bag for Superlow. Looking for a good one for my IBW ride.
Dust_Harl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 17:04   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 1,358 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Can any of the fellow BHPian suggest a good saddle bag for Superlow. Looking for a good one for my IBW ride.
Without a doubt Viaterra comes to mind which offers true international quality at Indian price & free raincover - http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...id-973109.aspx
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:59   #162
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Tend to agree with Aargee. Am using Viaterra Leh saddle bags for Enfield TB 500. Fits perfect, easy to mount/strap. Highly impressed with the quality, its VFM for sure.

Attached a pic with bags mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1336.jpg  

vrajaram is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:06   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Oops I missed that

No personal experience with Rapide but from the pics looks like it will solve your issue.Just give viaterra guys a call and share your concerns, they will be more than happy to help you out.

If this fails, then tank bag is the only option i could think of!
I saw a picture on facebook of a N300 with rider, pillion and Rapide who had done 3000 km tour Pune Gujarat and back. Would I be infringing on copyright issues if I copy it and paste it here?

Last edited by goandude : 3rd February 2015 at 15:09.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:44   #164
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 987
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

^^^ I will save you the trouble. I am that rider

I successfully completed an 8-day 3000kms Gujarat tour with my wife as a pillion the whole way. I used Rynox tankbag and Viaterra rapide saddle bags (with a separator as shown in my post above, will post actual pics later).

Name:  C73FCoy.jpg
Views: 4814
Size:  236.3 KB

Rapide is the only saddlebag that suited this arrangement. Wish it were a wee bit bigger either in height or depth, so that we could carry more.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2015 at 12:33. Reason: Edited on request
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 09:55   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Whats the difference between the VT Claw Pro and the other 2 versions, one being Mini and another Claw there.
The Pro uses a better material afaik but if i'm not looking to store too many items, would the Mini suffice? Or is the extra money worth the quality and warranty? I don't see repair option listed for the other 2 though.
Nithesh_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle bags. Make it yourself. bblost Motorbikes 34 5th February 2014 14:06
Saddle Sore on a Thunderbird harishnayak Motorbikes 31 20th November 2012 11:22
My saddle sore attempt - Successful RenuKumar Travelogues 2 2nd March 2009 16:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks