Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th October 2016, 11:42   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That led me to the sw motech dry bag series which I think are superb value for money from a German company. 35 litres is 6k and the 60 litres is 7k. They come with four loop straps that buckle in to your bike and takes just a minute to set up, and 10 seconds to unplug and head in to your room.
Plan is for December and will surely share the ride details with you once we are firmer.
Where in Bangy do you get those bags? Will appreciate your inputs. Did see them on the net and they do look quite a deal.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 13:42   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Plan is for December and will surely share the ride details with you once we are firmer.
Where in Bangy do you get those bags? Will appreciate your inputs. Did see them on the net and they do look quite a deal.
Contact Sean @ Bigbadbikes.

http://bigbadbikes.com/product/35l-waterproof-drybag/
http://bigbadbikes.com/product/60l-w...gh-viz-yellow/

You can visit Sean at his shop near Hennur road, and check the bag out for yourself before buying it for cash. That's what I did.

If you do meet him, tell him Venkat referred you over. He's a good friend. Pick up a pair of rok straps as well, they are absolutely fantastic.

I'm hoping to making a ride down to the NE or maybe Orissa even at around that time.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 12:47   #258
BHPian

I am in need of a saddle bag for my RE Thunderbird v2. The options i consider are:

1. NH4 MOTORHEADS HIGHWAY 500 (50L)
http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/n...n-triumph.html

2. CRAMSTER STALLION (45L)
http://www.cramster.in/products/cram...d-1333235.aspx

3. VIATERRA LEH (48L)
http://viaterragear.com/shop/luggage...bajaj-avenger/

Cramster stallion retails at ₹3300 (rain cover included) whereas other two are in the same price bracket (₹3800).
Out of the three, only Viaterra LEH has one year warranty and saddlebag stay for extra protection.
http://viaterragear.com/shop/brands/...e-thunderbird/

I would like to hear your opinions on the three and also suggest me if there exists something better.

Last edited by Ponbaarathi : 25th October 2016 at 12:53.
Ponbaarathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 13:47   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponbaarathi View Post
I would like to hear your opinions on the three and also suggest me if there exists something better.
Having used Crapster...sorry cramster, my review is up in #1 post. Nothing more to add other than 1 word - AVOID

NH4 - Since I've not used no idea; may or may not be good, I'm neutral here

Viaterra - Been abusing, sorry using the Viaterra Claw for nearly 4 years & 80000 Km & all I got to say is, its a Wife!!

If you're a playboy flirting with saddlebags, then Viaterra is not for you. But if you're looking for a long term...sorry lifetime dedicated relationship then think nothing beyond Viaterra.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 15:11   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Contact Sean @ Bigbadbikes.

Mate,
Can you please share the dimensions of the Dry bag that you picked up from Sean? Preferably more concerned with the length.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 15:18   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
Can you please share the dimensions of the Dry bag that you picked up from Sean? Preferably more concerned with the length.
12" W x 22" L

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...hi-viz-dry-bag
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 22:15   #262
Senior - BHPian

Anybody used these? - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Limited-perio...-/111924185097

Look better than anything on sale from Desi manufacturers today. Priced well too
Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 12:02   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Look better than anything on sale from Desi manufacturers today. Priced well too
Not used, but seen on few KTM's in Bangalore; they're very good to carry tools, small grocery items, office stationaries (not laptop) etc

If you're asking for KTM, then there's a better choice.
http://viaterragear.com/shop/luggage...e-390-200-125/

Velox is slightly bigger than Komine & let's keep away talking about about price & quality of Velox

Edit - The one I've seen is different from the what's listed in eBay, so I've NOT seen them

Last edited by aargee : 27th October 2016 at 12:04.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 18:51   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Edit - The one I've seen is different from the what's listed in eBay, so I've NOT seen them
Ya. I was a bit surprised when I read the beginning of your comment. Thanks for clearing it up

To me at least, the bags look really neat. The storage space is more than anyone could possibly need (60 litres IIRC) and a molded construction (looks like hard bags once mounted. No sagging / squishing). And 4500 shipped is great value, considering the only molded option in India is the Viaterra Falcon for 4k and that IMO does not look half as good as the Komine

Installation video:

Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 19:18   #265
BHPian

@Urban_Nomad - one issue is see with the Komine bag (at-least in the video) is that it will press against the rear indicators. Faced this issue with my Dirtsack Gypsy, as over a period of riding, the bag used to invariably move back a little bit. Luckily the indicator stocks in the Duke are flexible.
scarecrow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 16:48   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Falcon for 4k and that IMO does not look half as good as the Komine
The Komine looks good no doubt, but the Falcon is as good from the pictures I've seen online. However, the Viaterra dealers close to my place did not have the Falcon in stock last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
@Urban_Nomad - one issue is see with the Komine bag (at-least in the video) is that it will press against the rear indicators.
Yes this is one big issue with the N650, I tried the Rynox Nomad and found it hits the indicator stock.

Anyone has the Falcon? No reviews of it online, at least I can't find one.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 16:42   #267
Senior - BHPian

Default Review of the Viaterra Falcon saddle bags

I had been looking for a pair of saddle bags for some time now and those in the market were toolong for my Ninja, as a result they would hit the rear indicator stalks. And yes the indicator stalks are expensive at 2360/- a side.

I saw that Viaterra had come up with a new product "Falcon" which by the look of it seemed to fit my requirements. However, none of the dealers near my place had it in stock. Today I was in luck and Moto Adda on CMH road had a single piece. The others still didn't have stock.

The bags are made of semi rigid material so they hold their shape when empty. Essentially they are triangular in shape 12" in length, 11" in height at the front and 6" at the rear. The width is 7" in front and 6" at the rear with an additional 2" when the extra space is unzipped and another 1" for the cirved pocket on the outside, which makes it 10" at its widest. The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_151048.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_151152.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_151906.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_152329.jpgMy full face helmet nearly went in but I was not keen to push it further.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_153000.jpgThe rain cover made of a single piece was very loose when fitted over the bags. Seemed like it was from another type of saddlebag.

Attaching the saddle bags to the bike.

The bags come with 4 straps and D rings, 2 over the seat with velcro, one to secure the rear and two to fit on the pillion foot pegs. To try out the bags on the bike I stuffed them with what would be items that i would cary on a 4/6 day trip including water, compressor, tyre repair kit, etc. The best position I found was as shown in the pics. There was adequate clearance from the tyre and the rear indicator. I also think a pillion would be ok with this arrangement as far as clearance of the legs is concerned.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_145151.jpg Notice the small flaps attached near the rear straps, it gives protection to the paint.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_145623.jpg
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_145746.jpg
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_145214.jpg
There is adequate space between bags and rear wheel.The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20161107_145037.jpg

I have not ridden with it as yet and will update this thread when Iv'e used the bags over varied ground.

Overall the bags are of a great quality, feel sturdy and well made with quality fastenings and fittings. My only grouse so far has been the rear strap that goes over the seat, it is 3'5" shorter than the forward one which doesn't allow the velcro to be as well secured like it should be. It cant go through the D ring too as the velcro part comes in the way. The forward strap is well designed as one can use the D ring as well as having adequate overlap of velcro
goandude is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 19:06   #268

Here's a quick review of my Viaterra Falcon 30L upswept exhaust and pillion friendly saddlebag mounted on my GT535.

I wanted a saddle bag that is small and yet hold 3-4 days of luggage, pillion friendly(shouldn't mess with pillions leg space) and suitable for an upswept exhaust. Plus I wanted a bag which I could use on my KTM as well.

The bag is lightweight and very durable. Top loading and easy to mount with adjustable velcro straps over the seat and tie down straps at the rear and near the foot pegs.

The bag holds quite a lot of luggage for its size. There is also a zipper that can unzip and expand the bag sideways.

Overall a decent product from Viaterra

Some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20161112_132655001.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20161121_121552001.jpg  

KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 20:07   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I had been looking for a pair of saddle bags for some time now
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
Here's a quick review of my Viaterra Falcon
I hope the both of you have had adequate time to test this product. I am looking for a pair of saddle bags in the interim until I put aside enough money for panniers and things like that.

My two concerns are:

1. Does this bag shift around when you ride? Do you have to constantly keep adjusting them?

2. Do these bags get uncomfortably close to the rear wheel? Or is there some mechanism that prevents it from touching the rear wheel? Via terra says you dont need saddle bag stays, which is great, you dont have to spend more on an interim solution.

Please do post feedback. Many thanks in advance.

KA09 Biker, here's your first "thanks" on the forum LOL.

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th December 2016 at 20:20.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 10:42   #270

Quote:
1. Does this bag shift around when you ride? Do you have to constantly keep adjusting them?

2. Do these bags get uncomfortably close to the rear wheel? Or is there some mechanism that prevents it from touching the rear wheel? Via terra says you dont need saddle bag stays, which is great, you dont have to spend more on an interim solution.
Thank you Red Liner

I have done around 1400kms spanning 5 days with these bags.

To answer your questions,

1. No. They don't shift around with or without luggage. The 5 straps can hold the bag really well. One has to make sure to balance the bag with equal luggage(weight) on either side and tighten all the straps.

2. It depends on the bike. On my Continental GT the bag does touch the rear wheel. I had to fix a temporary stay on either side or invert the shockers so that gas canisters come in way of the wheel. Probably you don't have to do anything on bikes that have mono shocks at the rear as the pillion seat will be quite high. On my KTM though I can just throw the bags on top and ride without having to worry about them touching the rear wheel.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote