Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th March 2014, 18:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

I had 2 crapsters...sorry cramsters, colt & stallion. Colt's underneath was burnt by CBR's exhaust when I returned from RJ for 12 days, stallion's underneath was burnt by Rx's exhaust when I returned from Yercaud. After this, I had enough with them.

I once carried almost the entire engine of Rx, dismantled ofcourse, from Chennai to Kodi in Claw (55 liter). I had complete clutch kit (including springs, pressure plate & friction plate), cylinder head, gear box (5 speed) & crankshaft & used the same tail bag for my GJ trip for over 13 days.

From my experience, I learned that, what was good several years ago need not necessarily be good for today, be it saddle bag, refrigerator, television or grinder. For the kind of quality & price that Claw comes with, it's little hard to find a competitor on the similar lines.

Last edited by aargee : 4th March 2014 at 18:23.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 13:01   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I had 2 crapsters...sorry cramsters, colt & stallion. Colt's underneath was burnt by CBR's exhaust when I returned from RJ for 12 days, stallion's underneath was burnt by Rx's exhaust when I returned from Yercaud. After this, I had enough with them.

I once carried almost the entire engine of Rx, dismantled ofcourse, from Chennai to Kodi in Claw (55 liter). I had complete clutch kit (including springs, pressure plate & friction plate), cylinder head, gear box (5 speed) & crankshaft & used the same tail bag for my GJ trip for over 13 days.

From my experience, I learned that, what was good several years ago need not necessarily be good for today, be it saddle bag, refrigerator, television or grinder. For the kind of quality & price that Claw comes with, it's little hard to find a competitor on the similar lines.

Couldnt help but notice, your intentional name calling of Cramsters carries a lot of anger.

Having said, bags getting burned by exhaust is bound to happen given the extreme temps they are at, I for one, got my KTM almost burnt down as I forgot to remove the cleaning cloth kept near the central shocks, and the bike was in flames in the under seat part, now I can't blame KTM for it, but myself for my negligence.

Different circumstances, different perspective and opinions, as you can see from your claw experience vis a vis mine, not necessarily the final word on a product, as there is no one size fits all for these kind of requirements.

Choose the products based on your requirement and do due diligence, thats what I would say.
Khodays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 13:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
I for one, got my KTM almost burnt down as I forgot to remove the cleaning cloth kept near the central shocks, and the bike was in flames in the under seat part
Lepp my man ..... missing the Bull and all its cloth friendly crannies eh!

So what all did you manage to put a big melt hole into? Best part about the KTM though is that I'm guessing not more than 1K max (unles the melt hole extended to the Metz .....)

Or was it a sudden warm feeling ..... something like this ......

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-ghost_rider_wallpaper_22_1600.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2014 at 13:23.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 13:58   #79
BHPian

Lol, don't ask, was in a rush heading out to meeting and see this thing, started the bike and took off, had a long way to go, the heat near my legs was more than usual after 5kms, then it got really annoying, I was on top of a flyover, looked down and whoa, full on fire, just left the bike against the flyover wall, luckily for me, lot of office goers with water bottles, doused it in no time, best part, no damage, one of the socket holders had a little melt.
Taxi guy comes later and says, I have been chasing you from that time to warn, but you keep disappearing, lol, yes, but a scary lesson learnt.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 14:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taxi guy comes later and says, I have been chasing you from that time to warn, but you keep disappearing, lol, yes, but a scary lesson learnt.
LOL .... this is a great comedy script man.

One more lesson. Don't shove that cloth (new unburnt one of course ....) under the pillion seat either.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 18:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having said, bags getting burned by exhaust is bound to happen given the extreme temps they are at
Ach so? Never knew this!! Some of my fellow riders got RJay's sports saddle bag for upswept exhaust (just like how Colt is being marketed), I'll have to show them this post, lest their saddle bags are burnt by extreme temperature from Ninja's exhaust.

And no, I'm not talking about "N" of negligence here, the saddle bags were packed & loaded with utmost care.

Quote:
Different circumstances...size fits all for these kind of requirements
Exactly; what worked 8 years ago need not necessarily work now

Quote:
Couldnt help but notice, your intentional name calling of Cramsters carries a lot of anger
Sarcasm is what I call that & anger is how few interpret

Though a little irrelevant, since you picked the word anger, let me show you another experience of mine, may be you'll be happy if these happens to you hehe
Name:  29348d1280736480badexperiencecramsterg11.jpg
Views: 4428
Size:  95.8 KB

And this was less than 6 months, may be 1800 odd Km; after this I brought DSG Revive that is still being used with Rx; I really lost the count on the ODO as how much it was used. I remember about 17K km with CBR & may be another 7-8K km with Rx (on lower side). Needless to talk about SPG's Ares gloves...I've been using it for over 46000+ Km & I'm sure it can with stand for another 10K km easily.

And when you find sometime, feel free happily to go through - http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/coffee-l...-cramster.html

So you see, it's not just with one product & one experience I wrote this thread, it was with Stallion, Colt & MX3 gloves, all of them proved the same ill-fate. When I switched the brands, things have straightened out & hence saying, in today's market, what goes well, what works & what is VFM.

Last edited by aargee : 5th March 2014 at 18:37.
Old 6th March 2014, 14:40   #82
BHPian

Quote:
So you see, it's not just with one product & one experience I wrote this thread, it was with Stallion, Colt & MX3 gloves, all of them proved the same ill-fate. When I switched the brands, things have straightened out & hence saying, in today's market, what goes well, what works & what is VFM.
You have had a lemon of an experience, very unfortunate, but am glad it worked post switching brands, but its been the other way around with me and my mates, we are all for Cramsters for the foreseeable future……..

Btw, a note for the sarcasm, we have had a Nelson Rigg saddle bag get burnt on a Z1000 exhaust.

Last edited by Khodays : 6th March 2014 at 14:46. Reason: Additional notes
Old 6th March 2014, 21:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have had a lemon of an experience
Oh!! no, not just me, looks like crapster was selling only lemons to everyone. You need to go through that thread to see a whole lot of "lemon" experience.

Quote:
we are all for Cramsters for the foreseeable future……..
Yes; as long as there're people to buy lemons, everyone can make money by selling lemons & have forseeable future

Quote:
Btw, a note for the sarcasm, we have had a Nelson Rigg saddle bag get burnt on a Z1000 exhaust.
Saar...we're all aam admi guys talking about aam aadmi bikes & aam admi products hehe
Old 7th March 2014, 14:47   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Oh!! no, not just me, looks like crapster was selling only lemons to everyone. You need to go through that thread to see a whole lot of "lemon" experience
For every one of those there are 10 on the other side, go figure

Quote:
Yes; as long as there're people to buy lemons, everyone can make money by selling lemons & have forseeable future
Theres only one lemon than I can see clearly

Quote:
Saar...we're all aam admi guys talking about aam aadmi bikes & aam admi products hehe
Glad you clarified it this early

Puns aside, you have your own experience, which is bad, conversely, I have had fantastic experience with their products, so we would be justified in stating our opinions, it does not necessarily have to be one over the other.

Last edited by Khodays : 7th March 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Additional Text
Old 7th March 2014, 18:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thought I'll take a neutral stance for a moment & let me see if there's any possibility to change my mind, may be I got a lemon & there're 10 on the other side, so thought let me figure out...

Visited cramster website & this is what stallion offers...
Fabric: 600 Denier Polyester+Nylon Lining

Mount Style: Pillion Mount

Capacity:
45~ Litres (14"x12"x8" Symmetric Sides) "inches"
Plus Additional space for 2x 1500ml + 1x 1000ml Water Bottles
Plus Pockets for quick access tools
Plus provision to carry Tripods,Tents and Sleeping bags externally
Fits:
Most Motorcycles** with Straight Exhaust.
Royal Enfield Bullet | Electra | Thunderbird | Classic - Straight Exhaust
Avenger | Splendour | RX |

On visiting viaterra, their saddle bag, suitable for bikes with straight exhaust, this is what I found...
Fabric: High quality 1680 x 1680 Denier Fabric used
Inner lining made of high quality 150 x 150 Denier Fabric

Mount Style: Simple and effective 3 point D-ring strap mounting

Capacity:
48 lts capacity (~24 lts each side) - Enough to carry your stuff for a long trip
2 additional pockets at the sides (1.5 lts capacity each) with buckles - To carry stuff like Engine Oils, Tools etc.
2 bottle holders (each can hold 2 one litre bottles) with tightening straps - Straps keeps the bottles secure
1 zipped pocket with clear PVC and 1 zipped mesh pocket - To carry documents, medicines etc
2 Zipped pocket at the front (1 on each bag) - Additional easy access storage
Storm Flap over the front zipped pocket - For extra protection in light showers till the raincovers are placed
Ribbed PVC protector at the bottom - For rugged look and extra protection
Free Raincover (made out of a single sheet of water proof fabric) - Takes water proofing to next level
Life Time Repair Service: For any kind of repairs post the warranty period

And Price? Both of them cost Rs 2700. Let us leave the readers here to decide which product offers superiority over other for what they sell. And yes, this is in the present market scenario.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:58   #86
BHPian

Hi fellow TeamBHP'ians after a lot of reasearch roughly about 3 months I bought a tail bag called Dirtsack Tailbag Standard. I must say that my decision to buy this tailbag was spot on and perfect. I bought this bag after a lot of contemplation w.r.t whether I should buy saddle bag or tailbag.

This tailbag is just perfect for the kind of rides I do, which is basically spread over 2-3 days. The bag quality speaks volumes of the workmanship and efforts gone in making this bag, it has heavy duty build quality and is very durable. The aerodynamic shape of the bag not only looks cool but is highly functional at high speeds as one doesn't feel the drag while riding. It has all the bells and whistles like 3M reflective tapes, ykk zippers, automotive grade straps for carrying the bag, simple and easy to install and secure the bag on the pillion seat using four mounting straps. It is so versatile that it can be mounted on any motorcycle. This bag is dual purpose where one can also use it as a trendy duffel bag, the company has provided straps(automotive grade like seatbelt quality) for carying it on shoulder.

Now comes the surprise element of this bag, this tailbag has a humongous capacity of 40 litres and can easily swallow you luggage for a weeks ride. Saddle bags from various other manufacturers also give you more or less the same capacity, but the advantage of this tailbag over the saddle bags is it looks good and does its job and has dual purpose like one can use it while travelling in train, plane, bus, etc.

I bought this tailpack from The Outdoor Travel store in Bandra and the sales guy was very helpful in demonstrating as to how it should be mounted and dismounted. I used this tailbag on my three day trip to Nashik and it held its own very well. The service part for Dirtsack products needs to highlighted here. I somehow lost one of the mounting straps and was left was three mounting straps after the ride. I called up Jaydeep from Dirtsack and what a gem of a guy he is. He told me not to worry and he will courier me the mounting strap free of cost. At the same time I also came across a waterproof rain cover costing Rs. 450 for this bag on their website and ordered it online while asking Jaydeep to courier the strap along with the rainproof cover. The rainproof cover is bright neon color which makes it visible to others. The products from Dirtsack are of high quality and people from Dirtsack are happy to help. Highly recommended

Some pics of my RE Bullet Standard sporting the tailbag on the day I bought it. I forgot to click some snaps while the bag was fully loaded while going to Nashik(I was using the Thunderbird parked next to Standard) will post the pics next time.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20140920132720.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20140920132726.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20140920132735.jpg  

navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 11:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

I am not sure if this post is OT here, but not sure where to post - so here it goes:

I am looking for a magnetic tank bag for my duke, which can double up as a back pack. I want something easy to mount and dismount (plan is to replace my backpack with this for daily office commute), and should have some soft padding to carry my laptop.

I had a look at ViaTerra Fly GT but the mounting\un mounting is too cumbersome to do on a day to day basis. Sadly, the cramster Turtle is not compatible with Duke.

What are my other options?

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 19:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am not sure if this post is OT here, but not sure where to post - so here it goes:

I am looking for a magnetic tank bag for my duke, which can double up as a back pack. I want something easy to mount and dismount (plan is to replace my backpack with this for daily office commute), and should have some soft padding to carry my laptop.

I had a look at ViaTerra Fly GT but the mounting\un mounting is too cumbersome to do on a day to day basis. Sadly, the cramster Turtle is not compatible with Duke.

What are my other options?

--Anoop
Hello Anoop, Tell me why are you looking at a MAGNETIC tank bag for a Duke? Check out the Rynox Optimus. It has both, magnetic as well as with Suction cups. Of late they have one specially for the Duke too. It has a 22ltr compartment which can be expanded to 32 litres with straps to hold laptop in place. On removing the base, it can be used as a backpack too. Cost: 3050INR.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 11:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Hello Anoop, Tell me why are you looking at a MAGNETIC tank bag for a Duke? Check out the Rynox Optimus. It has both, magnetic as well as with Suction cups. Of late they have one specially for the Duke too. It has a 22ltr compartment which can be expanded to 32 litres with straps to hold laptop in place. On removing the base, it can be used as a backpack too. Cost: 3050INR.
Wow, this seems good - thank you. After penned my thoughts, I understood that I cannot fix a magnetic tank bag on duke

Was looking for magnetic because of the ease of mounting - un mounting since I plan to substitute my backpack with this for daily office commute.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 10:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Anybody used the Viaterra Claw MINI? How's it with reduced capacity of 35L?
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote