Default Re: Want to own a Honda motorcycle from the 70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
That my friend is a backfire!

Reasons:
1. You're running absurdly rich.
2. Your choke circuit is open.

EDIT:

Sorry, I missed to take the age of the motorcycle into consideration.

Please make sure your valves are operating as expected, a decent means of ensuring the same would be to conduct a compression test. A backfire can also be caused by the intake valve not sealing properly and Honda’s are known for stuck valves.
Thanks for the advice. By " Compression test", i guess you are asking me to check if there is alternatively vacuum and compression on the cylinder when the pistons move?. i did put my thumb on the spark plug hole and checked earlier and it did seem to perform properly. However , i will check once again and try to open the cylinder head to see if the valves are opening and closing properly too.
srini1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Thanks for the advice. By " Compression test", i guess you are asking me to check if there is alternatively vacuum and compression on the cylinder when the pistons move?. i did put my thumb on the spark plug hole and checked earlier and it did seem to perform properly. However , i will check once again and try to open the cylinder head to see if the valves are opening and closing properly too.
Unfortunately that won’t do, you would need a compression gauge to perform a compression test. First you would need to find out what the factory rated compression for the motor is, then you'd have to check your motorcycle and see if it falls within the recommended range. If yes then you can move on to diagnosing the fuelling, if not then first make sure that the piston and rings are fine and then do another compression test, if you are still not within recommended range then you would need to overhaul the head.
ashwinprakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:34   #33
BHPian

Suggestion: Fill in fresh engine oil. Put in a tiny bit of oil down the spark plug hole and then check the compression with a gauge. It should be 160+ PSI and almost equal in both cylinders.

If you got the bike without spark plugs or carbs or exhaust bend pipe in place, i would suggest opening and cleaning up the top end. You dont know what may have gone in there over time. Even the slightest bit of sand or mud is enough to ruin the motor. This way you can ascertain the condition of the liners as well. You will need a new packing kit to put the motor back together.

Cheers!!
james is offline   Reply With Quote