Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th February 2013, 12:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Idling Problem With Hero Honda Hunk

Hello all,

I own a Hero Honda Hunk 2011 edition. I recently adjusted the tappets and tried to clean the carb on my own following a Honda Stunner Carb Cleaning DIY on xBhp. I was unsuccessful because I couldn't figure out what to do with the TPS.

That aside, what used to happen after that was, the idling would randomly shoot up to 3k and then sometimes the engine would just shut off. I was then told that air might be leaking between the carb and the engine and then I noticed that I'd forgotten about a clamp that tightens the hose that leads to the engine from the carb. I tightened that and all was good for the first few kms, but a few km later, the engine wouldn't switch off, but the idling would increase by a few 100 RPM every minute or so. And I need to constantly keep reducing the idling using the idling screw.

After 15 minutes of riding, the idling was at 2.5k RPM. Ride a bit hard and the idling would shoot up even faster.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but there is a hose that brings air from the air filter box to the carb, this too has a clamp. I'm not able to tighten this clamp fully because the head of the screw just slips through. I'm not sure this can be a cause because the carb fits snugly into this hose.

The throttle action is good, it doesn't get locked up anywhere, the choke also functions smoothly.

Could someone guide me on what could be wrong here?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 20th February 2013 at 12:35.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 14:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Idling Problem With Hero Honda Hunk

@ashwin.terminat:

Any reason why you don't want to take your bike over to the A.S.S.?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 16:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@ashwin.terminat:

Any reason why you don't want to take your bike over to the A.S.S.?
Quite a few actually.

Last time I gave it for service, they couldn't fix my Chain Case, they damaged something and had to weld my swingarm.

I had specifically told them the bike's tappets need to be adjusted and oil was leaking from the engine, 2 days later(Which is a lot by itself), I go to collect the bike and the oil was still leaking. They hadn't even checked the issue because I knew myself that the gasket was damaged.

I left the bike there for another day and the oil leaking issue was resolved. I ride for 5km and what do I hear? Tappet noise.

They're on such a tight schedule that they need to finish 10 bikes every day within 9 hours. Lunch break and what not included, they can't even allocate one hour to each bike. I used to have a reliable mech, but he's left town. I've got a few numbers of good mechs, but they're too far. And I'd rather ask and learn than trust a local mech and burn.

Note: The above service center is Prakash Motors, Bangalore.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 21st February 2013 at 16:55.
Old 21st February 2013, 17:36   #4
BHPian

These types of problems cannot be sorted out on distance. Your problem needs some trial and error type work, which can be done by physical presence.
As your bike is 2011 model, better to search out an outside mechanic.
Mostly A.S.S. are experts in washing & polishing only.

Last edited by (Alok) : 21st February 2013 at 17:41.
(Alok) is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 18:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but there is a hose that brings air from the air filter box to the carb, this too has a clamp. I'm not able to tighten this clamp fully because the head of the screw just slips through.
Ashwin, you may have damaged the carburettor, also please do not fiddle with the tuning of carbs, I had personally a very bad experience with my Karizma 2 years ago. Also these air-flow pipes are difficult to source if you damage them. Where do you stay in Bangalore? I can tell some good bike mechanics who can fix this problem.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 18:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
These types of problems cannot be sorted out on distance. Your problem needs some trial and error type work, which can be done by physical presence.
As your bike is 2011 model, better to search out an outside mechanic.
Mostly A.S.S. are experts in washing & polishing only.
I'm on the lookout for an outside mechanic who I can call anytime I have a problem with the bike. Haven't found any nearby though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Ashwin, you may have damaged the carburettor, also please do not fiddle with the tuning of carbs, I had personally a very bad experience with my Karizma 2 years ago. Also these air-flow pipes are difficult to source if you damage them. Where do you stay in Bangalore? I can tell some good bike mechanics who can fix this problem.
I doubt I could have damaged the carb, I couldn't get to the insides of it at all. My guess is, I've made an elementary mistake and don't know about it yet.

I stay at Victoria Layout, Nearly areas would be Richmond Road. Basavanagudi is also fine since my college is around there.

Folks at xBhp told me I was running a lean mixture. So I made it a little rich and observed the following changes:
All seemed well, I kept the idling at 900 when cold and it reached around 1.4k when warm. Until I saw an open stretch of tarmac, I opened throttle till around 7k RPM and then came to a gradual stop, the bike just stalled. Started again and it couldn't hold the revs, it just kept shutting off. I had to increase idle to keep the bike from stalling again. Again, after a little riding, RPM would go upto 2k and I had to bring it back down with the idling screw.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 21st February 2013 at 18:32.
Old 21st February 2013, 18:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Things to check for...
0. Carb, carb & carb; make triple check on turns, cleaning
1. Spark plug gap & condition of electrode; try a new spark plug
2. Condition of ignition coil; keep this as last option when everything fails as it's expensive
3. Drain out all the fuel completely & try with fresh Petrol from...

Err...aren't you the same person who posted this question in xBhp?
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/help-me/...onda-hunk.html

Ideally, you could've PM'd PSR Sir & he has knowledge & can resolve this issue for sure
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 21:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Things to check for...
2. Condition of ignition coil; keep this as last option when everything fails as it's expensive

Err...aren't you the same person who posted this question in xBhp?
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/help-me/...onda-hunk.html

Ideally, you could've PM'd PSR Sir & he has knowledge & can resolve this issue for sure
I'll do the carb thing ASAP. The spark plug is new, around 700km old. I doubt it can go kaput this quickly.

Will keep the last 2 as lost resorts.

Yes, same person.

Will message him now then.
Old 22nd February 2013, 00:10   #9
Team-BHP Support

Rule out air leaks, might be at the intake end. You might want to check all gaskets are intact and the clamps tighten without any slip. If the idle issue still persist, check the carb. Remove and refit it carefully, check the cable assembly, if its put in right and free. Also check the TPA if its set right.

Best is to take to a good mech and get it done properly.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Things to check for...
Sir, absolutely no offence but I don't think he should be fooling with the ignition components. The problem cropped up after a carb clean.

Ashwin, I completely second Jaggu's opinion. Your problems indicate a classic case of an air leak. As Jaggu says, stick to checking gaskets, seals and hoses. Please don't go fooling with your ignition coil, plug and such. We can throw around conjecture all we want on a forum. She's not our science experiment, she's your daily ride. Get her to a mechanic.

Oh, and the screw direction for rich/lean doesn't depend on whether the machine is 2 or 4 stroke. Just saying.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I got it to a Service Center today. My tenant knew the owner of the Service Center, so got some preferential treatment.

The spring on the idling screw was missing, that was causing the fluctuations in the idling. It seems to be fine now, bike doesn't shut off after opening throttle a fair bit either.

So looks like my problem is solved. Thank you all for your time.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 13:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got it to a Service Center today. My tenant knew the owner of the Service Center, so got some preferential treatment.

The spring on the idling screw was missing, that was causing the fluctuations in the idling. It seems to be fine now, bike doesn't shut off after opening throttle a fair bit either.

So looks like my problem is solved. Thank you all for your time.
Thanks for sharing the root cause of your problem.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 19:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks for sharing the root cause of your problem.

Regards,
Saket
Least I could do for the folks who replied here.

Request mods to lock this thread.
Old 25th February 2013, 19:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Least I could do for the folks who replied here.

Request mods to lock this thread.
By the way, if you're still looking for a trusted mechanic, try Dream Machines in sanjaynagar. Both my pulsar and karizma have been happy with them for the past 6 years. PM me if you're interested.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 22:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
By the way, if you're still looking for a trusted mechanic, try Dream Machines in sanjaynagar. Both my pulsar and karizma have been happy with them for the past 6 years. PM me if you're interested.
Will suggest them to my brother for the service of his Pulsar. It's in real need of some TLC.