Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th May 2006, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Default Guys, Planning Pulsar MOD - Advise please!!!

Hi all,

I have a month old Pulsor 150 DTSi having alloy wheels, self starter and disc brake at front wheel. Would like to go for the following modifications on my bike. I request all of you to advise me to complete a neat and no-nonsense job on my bike. Planned modifications are.,

(1) Replacing the rear alloy and tyre with eliminator's set. (of-cource with new alloy that suits with same pattern fitted in front). Will I get the same pattern of alloys from RADO? Those who have done this are requested to enrich me with your experiances.

(2) Replacing the rear suspension system with that of a Unicorn (Mono shock). What say?! Anybody tried this?! Please let me know your longterm experience on this.

(3) Modifying the exhaust pipe to enhanse looks.

(4) Replacing the stock air filter with K&N filter. What is your experience on this? Is this worth?! Any modifications required to get standard results?

(5) Would like to install anti-theft alarm system with remote start option. Any serious negative implication if done? Pl advise the best brand available.

Also, let me know an approx figure of expense involved in doing all these jobs. Expecting very detailed replys from everyone here..

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Cheers
Nikhil.
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 22:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

K&N is nor problem, that is a very common mod.

Modifying the exhaust pipe to enhance the looks? Hmmm you sure you dont want some nice sound effects thrown into the bargain?

Why would you want to spend thousands to replace the suspension with a monoshock?
There is little wrong in the standard suspension, are you doing this to improve looks?
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 23:03   #3
BHPian

Default Hi Islero..

Thanks for ur reply!!

Well... yes..exhaust mod is juz to improve the looks!!..NO vvrroooom..!!

Monoshock is to make it different from Pulsor community and for extra benefits if any from that technology!!

K&N filters + syn oil for safeguarding the engine from extra load!!

What say?!

Cheers
Old 13th May 2006, 23:36   #4
BHPian

1. Replacing the rear alloy and tyre with eliminator's set
, Well u r putting a smmler alloys for looks i suppose !!!, but one thign dude, try NOT fitting fatter n wider tyre caz ur engine will cry later n laos u lose quiet a lot of top end. I think a yezdi's alloys n trye should do fine for ur bike.

2. Replacing the rear suspension system with that of a Unicorn (Mono shock)
I agree Uni has the best monoshock. If ur doing it, then also try fitting in a P180's swingarm for better stablility of ur bike. I have seen some cosmetic modded pulsars converted to a r-1 n ......., As ur spending to changing to monoshock u may as well change the swingarm too.

3. Modifying the exhaust pipe to enhanse looks.
Vrommmmmmm , VROOOOOOmmmmmmMM, , louder the noise the more u rev, i think u should go in for a performance exhaust dude, ie., Tectrac or proton's..., if ur putting a local exhaust surely ur screwing ur bike within 2 months or so. For looks, u may as well powercoat the exhaust completely black.

4. Replacing the stock air filter with K&N filter.
K&N Air filter RC1060 will suit ur bike. Change ur jets to P180's jets to get maximum performance, if u aint jetting ur bike will run lean. 2 to 5% increase in intial u will get.

5. Would like to install anti-theft alarm system with remote start option,
Ha ha , my friends has one fitted to his p150dtsi 2.1, Dunno the name though fro Rs 800. Its good, anybody sitting or shaking the bike puts up the alarm, but v have more fun that that, Scaring the ppl away , Anybody sits on the bike, v make the bike start when v r bout 100 metres away form it, u shuld only see the look on ppl faces, they kinda get "what the" , he he.
Its good for fun n security, Only irrating thing is, left indicator is on it says " turning left" in a female voice .

Anywayz, i think ive answered most of ur stuff, Anythign else?
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 09:59   #5
BHPian

Default Hi nosfreak

Thanks a ton for your reply dude!!

Well.. reg replacement of tyres... yes am aiming better look for the bike. But am unable to find the same design pattern of front alloys for rear.. am thinking of using the same alloy (17") with Pirrelli's 150/65/17 tyre on it.
What is your ipinion??!!
And hey am not a regular bike user.. hardly may be 100kms/month!!! My primary aim is to make a decent and striking change from other Pulsors in my city...than engine life!! what say dude??!!

Reg monoshocks... yes..primary aim is to improve handling... and what I planned is retrofitting unicorn's swingarm to it!!! Now I guess.. you have seen and experienced the result with Pulsor 180's swing arm!!! Kindly enrich me more on that...

Reg exhaust pipe replacement... what I meant is that.. to somewhat cover the 'opened' area (when the dual shocks are replaced with monoshock) than the extraordinary sound from a performance exhaust!!
What say??!! What wud be the cost difference btn cosmetic exhaust and performance exhaust??!!

Reg the remote start... well...you are right... thatz exactly what am aiming for!!! but anything will go wrong with indicators?!! Pl let me know??!!

Thanks once again...!!

Nikhil.
Old 14th May 2006, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Hey nikkibike : don't even think of those 150/65/17 tyres . Your bike will struggle to move. Dont go over a 130 section rear tyre in a pulsar. Even that is a bit too much i think. I have personally seen pulsars with 140 section tyres struggling to keep with others.
Mistakenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 11:38   #7
BHPian

Default Hi Mistakenguy

Got your point. But hey..am not a 'speedster'...and my primiary aim is to improve the looks... and my max speed wud be 60kms/hr..! so I believe there won't be much problems with that spec tyre. Am not all bothered bout the topspeed aspect also... Anyways... let me know if these mods can seriously damage the engine and drive trains.... Also let me know more of your views on Pulsor mods..

Thanks once again...

cheers.
Old 14th May 2006, 11:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike

Well.. reg replacement of tyres... yes am aiming better look for the bike. But am unable to find the same design pattern of front alloys for rear.. am thinking of using the same alloy (17") with Pirrelli's 150/65/17 tyre on it.

Reg monoshocks... yes..primary aim is to improve handling... and what I planned is retrofitting unicorn's swingarm to it!!! Now I guess.. you have seen and experienced the result with Pulsor 180's swing arm!!! Kindly enrich me more on that...

Reg the remote start... well...you are right... thatz exactly what am aiming for!!! but anything will go wrong with indicators?!! Pl let me know??!!

Thanks once again...!!

Nikhil.
Pirrelli's 150/65/17, ur bike will cry pulling even two person's, 130 is perfect, n do look good enough.

Yes v have fitted p 180 swing arm to p150, the bike is very stable n final drive is better n better top end. n regarding uni's swingarm ( dont know much bout it).

Performance Exhaust is about Rs 3500/- for Tectrac, protons has also come exhaust for 4 stroke but dunno the price of it (should be cheap). pm mail4ajgo for detials.
Generally local made exhaust make a huge noise n also later tend to screw up ur valves. What i could suggest is that u go for performance exhaust for better life of ur bike n good mid range. U can powercoat the bike to black, its does look good.

N regarding ur indicators, nothing's wrong with it, the voice kinda anoyy's after few months , u get security even with voce system, try it on.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 12:05   #9
BHPian

Default Hi nosfreak...

Thanks again for your views...

So shall I go for 130/-90/17 tyres instead of 150??!!Also, more informations reg mod with unicorn's monoshock wud be highly helpfull!!

I'll PM him for more details on Proton. But then am against the extraordinary sound that it will make if fitted..!! Any solutions??!!

Can you find the best brand anti-theft system that I can fit on my bike.??!

Thanks a ton once again... keep mailing... very informative...!!

cheers..
Old 15th May 2006, 03:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
Thanks again for your views...

So shall I go for 130/-90/17 tyres instead of 150??!!Also, more informations reg mod with unicorn's monoshock wud be highly helpfull!!
Even a 120 should be fine...
babe_on_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 05:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

before i got my pulsar i was thinking of putting the pirelli 130 mm but now i think im going to get a 110 or 120 nothing more.i bought the 180 for performance not for looks.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 14:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Niki,

Here is Tectrac's Exhaust used on a 150. I got this from xbhp forum. I have personally seen it at Tectrac's place and they look awesome. Cost about 3000Rs. Check with Vivek or PM for details. proton are massly produced. It does give good output since it has been tested on a dyno as per Proton.

But this looks cooler.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 21:07   #13
BHPian

Default hi 'babe on wheels',

Hi there... thanks for your input!! Any bad experiences with more fatty tyres??!!

thanks once again... Pl continue mailing!!
Old 15th May 2006, 21:11   #14
BHPian

Default Hi 'revtech'

Hi there..

guess you have moded your bike. Pl extend ur complete experiences on modding... btw, wat will go wrong with 130/x/17 ??!!

Pl continue mailing!!

many thanks to u...

Nikhil.
Old 15th May 2006, 21:18   #15
BHPian

Default Hi 'mail4ajo'

Hi Ajo,

That was indeed very helpfull!! Thanks a ton dude!!

Btw, any idea bout retrofitting 'Tectra' on a stock bike??!! Any mod work reqd on pipe or mouth?!!

Also, kindly forward more pics of moded Pulsors...!!

Thanks a ton dude...

Pl continue mailing....

Nikhil.