Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2015, 17:21   #196
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I have never seen the COO of a company selling a 300 cc bike write to a customer so often to keep you updated and on top of that, offer you a surprise for waiting.

It should be worth the wait, besides, ive ridden the D390. The Mojo is leagues better in riding position and does not sound like an industrial grinder(D390)
I think you have hit the nail with the D390. Only benefit that i see is the ABS. But Mojo is better in every other aspect.

I will surely wait and hope there are no further delays.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 21:46   #197
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 760
Thanked: 1,350 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

I must say, as terribly disappointing as your experience has been, Mahindra have done a good job on the following fronts
1. The COO has personally looked into the matter and is updating you periodically
2. Repeated confirmations that nobody has jumped the line
3. The promise of a surprise (as big or small as it might end up to be) to adequately compensate you for the slip up from their end.


As someone who has ridden the Mojo, I think its a very good bike at a very good price that makes it a very competitive offering. The KTM 390 is a whole different experience altogether and at the other end of the spectrum. Hope this is one story that has a very happy ending.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 22:42   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The Mojo is leagues better in riding position and does not sound like an industrial grinder(D390)
Although I would like to highlight some of your posts where you are belittling some of the finest bikes based on silly things rather than considering the pedigree of those bikes. Case in point calling the marvellous Benelli TNT 300 a Chinese bike in an offensive way and now calling the formidable and near legendary Duke 390 an industrial grinder and what not while just focusing on its sound. If sound was the only consideration one wouldn't have seen Dukes flying off their shelves.

While I understand your admiration for the Mojo as you own one and there's no denying it is one of the finest bikes on offer. But that doesn't give one right to belittle other finer motorcycles by calling then names. I own a Tbird500 but also acknowledge other bikes, intact I said Mojo is a better package, while the Duke 390 will simply decimate the Tbird500 in terms of features and performance. Also no manufacturer is offering a two channel ABS with slipper clutch and 43 horses.

Apologies for going offtopic. Mods please delete this post if inappropriate.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 10:41   #199
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,676
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Although I would like to highlight some of your posts where you are belittling some of the finest bikes based on silly things rather than considering the pedigree of those bikes. Case in point calling the marvellous Benelli TNT 300 a Chinese bike in an offensive way and now calling the formidable and near legendary Duke 390 an industrial grinder and what not while just focusing on its sound. If sound was the only consideration one wouldn't have seen Dukes flying off their shelves.

While I understand your admiration for the Mojo as you own one and there's no denying it is one of the finest bikes on offer. But that doesn't give one right to belittle other finer motorcycles by calling then names. I own a Tbird500 but also acknowledge other bikes, intact I said Mojo is a better package, while the Duke 390 will simply decimate the Tbird500 in terms of features and performance. Also no manufacturer is offering a two channel ABS with slipper clutch and 43 horses.

Apologies for going offtopic. Mods please delete this post if inappropriate.
Im sure and agree that the Benelli, the T bird and the Duke have pedigree. All are superior to the Mojo in some aspects or the other.
I did not find the Benelli marvellous though its good, but not to my liking including the riding position.
The T bird has the best riding position even better than the Mojo and the Duke is technically superior, I agree. However, i still feel it sounds like an industrial grinder and thats my personal opinion. The Duke might sound sweet to you. My cousin owns a D390 and he too thinks it sounds like a grinder, though he loves the bike and doesnt mind the riding position either.There may be those who sacrifice sound for technical prowess of a bike. How a bike sounds does matter to many, including me. Ask the bulleteers what sound of a bike means to them, while to some it may just mean annoying noise.
My comments are not meant to offend you or anyone here owning any bike/ brand. Its my personal opinion about what i have felt about a bike and im surely entitled to my opinion about them.

To me the Mojo is a bike. A bike is a bike. It yet has to prove itself to me. Time will tell as i put it through the grind and I havnt even begun yet.
Brickbats or bouquets for the Mojo will be posted here in the same unabashed fashion i wrote about other bikes.
Cheers
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 11th November 2015 at 10:47.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 01:13   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Interesting drag race here between the Mojo and the Duke 200.
blue_pulsar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 06:41   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 153
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Interesting drag race here between the Mojo and the Duke 200.

There is no trace of drag in that race. In the end for no sensible reason KTM seemed to have been declared the winner!
TMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 07:41   #202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 114
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Duke 200 is actually faster than Mojo in a quarter-mile race. But if you go for a longer drag-race the result will be different. The Mojo rider will be at ease doing speeds of 150+ where as the Duke rider will feel all sorts of vibrations and uncomfort at speeds above 130kmph.
Funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:08   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Duke 200 is actually faster than Mojo in a quarter-mile race. But if you go for a longer drag-race the result will be different. The Mojo rider will be at ease doing speeds of 150+ where as the Duke rider will feel all sorts of vibrations and uncomfort at speeds above 130kmph.
Have you seen this happening or is this based on reports of the top end of the bike indicated on its speedometer.

Don't want to start a my bike best war, but I have seen a Duke 200 hit 140 kmph on its very accurate digital speedo.

The actual performance of a bike shorn of imaginative speedo enhancements comes out when you put tow bikes against each other with equal riders.

I know performance isn't everything but was simply responding to your post + I genuinely want to know what a Mojo (and now the new baby beemer) can do. Also the baby benelli.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:29   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 114
Thanked: 88 Times
Smile Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have you seen this happening or is this based on reports of the top end of the bike indicated on its speedometer.

Don't want to start a my bike best war, but I have seen a Duke 200 hit 140 kmph on its very accurate digital speedo.

The actual performance of a bike shorn of imaginative speedo enhancements comes out when you put tow bikes against each other with equal riders.

I know performance isn't everything but was simply responding to your post + I genuinely want to know what a Mojo (and now the new baby beemer) can do. Also the baby benelli.

Cheers, Doc
Pardon me, I never meant that the Duke 200 cannot do speeds above 130kmph. What I meant was you won't be comfortable doing those speeds on a Duke when compared to the Mojo, due to the Mojo's weight and ride setup (as its a tourer), it is well planted and inspires confidence in high speeds as observed by many riders. Motorbeam had done a top-speed test which indicated a top speed of 150+ but I'm not sure whether its V-BOX tested or just the speedometer reading.
Funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:43   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Pardon me, I never meant that the Duke 200 cannot do speeds above 130kmph. What I meant was you won't be comfortable doing those speeds on a Duke when compared to the Mojo, due to the Mojo's weight and ride setup (as its a tourer), it is well planted and inspires confidence in high speeds as observed by many riders. Motorbeam had done a top-speed test which indicated a top speed of 150+ but I'm not sure whether its V-BOX tested or just the speedometer reading.
All I wanted to know was the top speed.

The Duke 200 is more planted and stable at high speeds than Bullet is.

Weight isn't all that's involved. The dynamics and tyres all come in. And the confidence in your brakes.

If the Mojo really does 150 then its in CBR 250 territory performance wise. Which is great. Though per bhpian Tharian's highway ride report, when given the beans, in real world riding conditions, its 30 kmph short of a 390. Which then pegs it at 140 kmph - Duke 200 territory.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2015 at 10:59.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 11:34   #206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 114
Thanked: 88 Times
Smile Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All I wanted to know was the top speed.

The Duke 200 is more planted and stable at high speeds than Bullet is.

Weight isn't all that's involved. The dynamics and tyres all come in. And the confidence in your brakes.

If the Mojo really does 150 then its in CBR 250 territory performance wise. Which is great. Though per bhpian Tharian's highway ride report, when given the beans, in real world riding conditions, its 30 kmph short of a 390. Which then pegs it at 140 kmph - Duke 200 territory.
There are reports of Mojo doing about 160kmph, even for the D390 there are reports of 180kmph, but these speeds are very difficult to achieve in real world conditions, specially in our country its not safe to go beyond 120kmph on a bike, but then the adrenaline rush is something you can't ignore . But majority of the reviews point a indicated top speed of 155kmph. Nevertheless, it is not meant to red-line at those speeds, it's positioned as a sports tourer to comfortably cruise at 120-130kmph speeds with absolutely no vibrations or strain to the engine, which the REs (350) can only dream of. The Duke 200 hits the revv-limiter at 140kmph but that is not the case with the Mojo. Talking about tyres, the Mojo comes with Pirelli Rosso Diablo II tyres as stock which is the best you can find at this segment and even a segment above.

Last edited by Funny : 13th November 2015 at 11:36.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 14:23   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

I saw a Black Mojo today. Honestly, not impressed by the way it looks. Those golden and silver color bits don't look good at all. The owner started the bike. It didn't sound as loud as a Duke but not as 'refined' as a CBR250 either.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 14:38   #208
BHPian
 
amansanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 437
Thanked: 656 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Didn't want to post an OT reply on the other thread hence posting in the correct one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTorque View Post
I wonder if this could be due the fact that the bikes for the media rides might have been at a different state of tune or that the bike that I rode must not have been maintained as it should have.

P.S. I fail to understand the logic behind the Pirelli's on a tourer. How do they expect riders to spend close to 24 k on tires every 6000 kms for a tourer?
The latter seems to be the case. The brakes do lack in terms of feedback. The rear suspension is adjustable and maybe was at the wrong setting.

Those Pirelli tyres are the highlight and are the reason for the Mojo to perform well. Owners do have an option to go for cheaper rubber when replacement time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The tyres would last upto 20k KMs and replacement tyres would cost only about 11-12k (both front and rear), if taken from Mahindra, as told by my SA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
What are the chances that they will sell those to KTM 390 owners considering the specs are similar!

Are you sure those tyres will last for so long and will be priced so cheap because they seem to retail in open market at around 20k a pair at minimum.
There seems to be some miscommunication here. The tyres won't last more than 10-12k kms. At least the rear one. This comes from a rider who did 16,500 kms on the bike. Also, the cost is closer to what you have mentioned Sameer. Maybe Funny's SA gave him the price of each tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All I wanted to know was the top speed.

If the Mojo really does 150 then its in CBR 250 territory performance wise. Which is great. Though per bhpian Tharian's highway ride report, when given the beans, in real world riding conditions, its 30 kmph short of a 390. Which then pegs it at 140 kmph - Duke 200 territory.
When I tested the bike, I managed to hit a speedo indicated 155 km/hr. When we tested the bike with a VBOX for timings, it managed to touch a true GPS speed of 150 km/hr and still had some revs left. So it does manage to do 150 km/hr
Disclaimer: All these high speed runs were done on a deserted stretch of road with all the safety gear in place.

As for the drag race, the Duke 200 manages to stay ahead till the 400 metre mark post which the Mojo starts inching ahead and manages to stay ahead due to the higher top speed.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 10:04   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 114
Thanked: 88 Times
Smile Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
There seems to be some miscommunication here. The tyres won't last more than 10-12k kms. At least the rear one. This comes from a rider who did 16,500 kms on the bike. Also, the cost is closer to what you have mentioned Sameer. Maybe Funny's SA gave him the price of each tyre?
For your reference, here is another user who has got the same information as I did. Quoting from article :
"The Mahindra Mojo’s Pirelli Diablo IIs are excellent and Mahindra Two-Wheelers dealers are I’m told, retailing them for Rs 14,000 a set."

Source : Mahindra Mojo xBHP
Original Source : Overdrive R3 Review


Anyway, I'll have to confirm again with my dealer regarding the same.
Funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 11:01   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Duke is technically superior, I agree. However, i still feel it sounds like an industrial grinder and thats my personal opinion. The Duke might sound sweet to you.
Mate I respect your personal opinion about sound and motorcycles. It was just that if people bought a motorcycle just on the basis of sound we would have lost on many fine motorcycles. Then again it is a personal choice and I agree to that fact that some people reject a motorcycle outright on the basis of sound. Good for them. By the way did you have a chance of listening to the Duke 390 when it is sings at 140 KMPH on its sixth gear?
Quote:
There may be those who sacrifice sound for technical prowess of a bike. How a bike sounds does matter to many, including me. Ask the bulleteers what sound of a bike means to them, while to some it may just mean annoying noise.
Mate I have been riding RE's for donkey years and I can relate to the Thump sound you are referring to. There's a reason why we are seeing growing number of used RE UCE's on Olx, Quikr and other buyer seller sites. The reason being the buyers tried very hard to replicate the thump while ignoring the other fine aspects of the motorcycle. The Thump is "one of the many" factors on a Bullet but not "the only factor". I still have the OEM factory exhaust on my Tbird500 which many call a sewing machine sound.
Quote:
My comments are not meant to offend you or anyone here owning any bike/ brand. Its my personal opinion about what i have felt about a bike and im surely entitled to my opinion about them.
Surely you are mate and I like your honesty.
Quote:
To me the Mojo is a bike. A bike is a bike. It yet has to prove itself to me. Time will tell as i put it through the grind and I havnt even begun yet.
Brickbats or bouquets for the Mojo will be posted here in the same unabashed fashion i wrote about other bikes.
Great I am glued to your ownership thread to learn more about the Mahindra Mojo. It would be interesting to see how our home grown product takes on the mavericks of the motorcycle industry. Your opinion and experience as an owner and a rider will be very important for budding buyers and others likewise.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th November 2015 at 11:04.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs karan561 The Indian Car Scene 161 10th August 2014 13:29
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh CARDEEP The Indian Car Scene 263 7th April 2014 21:39
2011 Tata Indica Vista face-lift caught testing *Update* Now launched @ 3.88L CRtorquefan The Indian Car Scene 167 14th September 2011 17:19
Pic: New Chevy Aveo caught testing in Mumbai and Bangalore. CLS_55_AMG The Indian Car Scene 49 5th August 2005 14:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:36.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks