Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th May 2013, 16:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: From Honda CBR250R to Duke200 to Ninja250R: Quarter liter ownership story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
So I had replaced the ninja rear tyre with 150/60/17 Rev-z about a month back. The 150 was a perfect fit with enough space left b/w the tyre and the swingarm. See below pics for reference.
I guess this is the first ninja to have the MRF Rev-Z slapped onto it.

How does it fare on the grip levels while braking, while cornering and of course, in wet and dry conditions?

Would you say this is a worthy alternative if one is unable to source the Pirelli Sport Demon tires? The PSD's are excellent in terms of grip but extremely difficult to source off late.

P.S. What sizes are the Rev-Z available in? 130/70/17 and 140/70/17? I'm not too keen on a 150 profile, hence asking.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 18:21   #62
BHPian

Default Re: From Honda CBR250R to Duke200 to Ninja250R: Quarter liter ownership story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
P.S. What sizes are the Rev-Z available in? 130/70/17 and 140/70/17? I'm not too keen on a 150 profile, hence asking.
Adi, the Rev-z comes in 130/70/17, 140/60/17 and 150/60/17 IIRC. I think 140/60 would reduce the rear ride height too much. 150*.6=90 corresponds well to 130*.7=91 (stock). So for this profile 150 would be a right upgrade in my opinion.

Since I am used to this tyre on the Duke as well, I am very comfortable with it. It grips well, better than stock due to the bigger contact patch. The rounded profile is very planted on corners and allows a smooth lean in. The braking is good except for a slight shiver under real hard braking.

The only issue for me is wet/slush performance. It feels very nervous on wet+slushy roads. Unfortunately I end up on such roads almost everyday. One has to be very careful as the tyre slips a little too easily here and leaning into turns is risky, as is hard acceleration or braking. I guess the grooves aren't meant for such roads at all.

Other than that, pretty happy with the tyre so far.

Edit: I did try for PSDs before going for these but couldn't get them anywhere. Given the vfm cost of Rev-z, it is well worth considering as an alternative.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 13th May 2013 at 18:22.
niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 18:31   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

That is very comforting to know. I think it shall work well with the CBR-250R as well.

Did you scour for a front replacement as well. Please scour keeping in mind about CBR-250R riders like us as well

Thanks again
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 19:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is very comforting to know. I think it shall work well with the CBR-250R as well.

Did you scour for a front replacement as well. Please scour keeping in mind about CBR-250R riders like us as well

Thanks again
I rode a CBR 250R with front RevZ (OEM on Duke) and rear IRC (OEM on MC41 CBR). Much better response than the ones that our bikes come shod with. I am contemplating changing front to RevZ, with just one lingering doubt: will different patterns on front and rear affect wet traction?

P.S. Going by Niranjan's calculations, the 150/60-17 makes even lesser sense for the CBR as the stock profile is 140*.7=98 and this one being 90. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 19:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have to start searching now. The front is almost fully gone. I think I will start with 120/60 if I can find and if it fits. Will keep this thread updated on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I am contemplating changing front to RevZ, with just one lingering doubt: will different patterns on front and rear affect wet traction?

P.S. Going by Niranjan's calculations, the 150/60-17 makes even lesser sense for the CBR as the stock profile is 140*.7=98 and this one being 90. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I don't think different patterns should be a problem - you will just lose traction on the less competent tyre a wee bit sooner, if at all. As long as it is not the front tyre that is giving up on you, it should be fine.
You are right about CBR rear tyre being higher profile - the 150/60 Rev Z will reduce the ride height by 8 mm as you calculated. However, the 140/70 is a very odd size and the only tyres in the market for that size are the Contis (stock CBR tyre)!
niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 22:40   #66
BANNED

Which one of these three bikes (KTM Duke 200, Honda CBR250, Baby Ninja) has the most upright position? It's important as I have back pain issues if the suspension/seating position is poor. That's why I sold off my RE Thunderbird last week. Can't wait to pick up a new set of two wheels with less noise and more speed.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Which one of these three bikes (KTM Duke 200, Honda CBR250, Baby Ninja) has the most upright position? It's important as I have back pain issues if the suspension/seating position is poor. That's why I sold off my RE Thunderbird last week. Can't wait to pick up a new set of two wheels with less noise and more speed.
Of the three bikes, the Duke has the most upright seating position but a softer suspension at the rear and the front. To manage a bad back it is important to look at other factors than only seating position. The suspension of the bike plays a major role here including the kind of roads one would ride on. A stiff suspension would cause more discomfort on bad roads.

Since most new age bikes are available on rentals, I would suggest you hire a bike of your choice for a day or two and ride it extensively to know which one suits your back (and your heart) best.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 11:22   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Of the three bikes, the Duke has the most upright seating position but a softer suspension at the rear and the front. To manage a bad back it is important to look at other factors than only seating position. The suspension of the bike plays a major role here including the kind of roads one would ride on. A stiff suspension would cause more discomfort on bad roads.

Since most new age bikes are available on rentals, I would suggest you hire a bike of your choice for a day or two and ride it extensively to know which one suits your back (and your heart) best.
Thanks a lot. I need a city run about that will run only on tarmac. No highway or bad roads or dirt roads at all. I am guessing I need a soft suspension then?

I will rent a Duke 200 and a Duke 390 and check it out anyway.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 13:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nice comparo. And I agree to the lines - "The CBR is a perfect upgrade for all those with a bullet who ride long and ride often. It is a tourer that can take you anywhere and everywhere". The CBR for me, is the perfect tourer - no troubles, hassle-free riding. And she will maintain that 120 kmph without even straining! Awesome machine.
Sir, with due respect to what you said, A bullet rider who is used to a sofa like seat and relaxed posture will find it very difficult and will be very uncomfortable on CBR because of the forward lean.

I am a bullet rider and looking for a upgrade and yet to find a bike which matches the comfort of bullet. I am yet to test the KTM 390 2017.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 13:47   #70
BANNED

I may be in extreme minority here but after keeping the 'Bullet' for 7 years, i'd like to say there is nothing comfortable about it. I am now looking for something that less noisy and much faster.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 20:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Sir, with due respect to what you said, A bullet rider who is used to a sofa like seat and relaxed posture will find it very difficult and will be very uncomfortable on CBR because of the forward lean.

I am a bullet rider and looking for a upgrade and yet to find a bike which matches the comfort of bullet. I am yet to test the KTM 390 2017.
And with equally due respect, I wrote that 4 years ago! There are more suitable machines now.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote