Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th March 2013, 12:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report

Congratulations on your new bike. Am sure you will be a constant source of motivation & encouragement for young riders. Wish you many miles of happiness with your new toy.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 17:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That has nothing to do with running in IMHO. In the city if you ride a Duke like your pants are on fire, then 25 kmpl (4.0 L per 100 km) and even less is very normal.
Yes true. I am now practicing city traffic riding some 50 kms a day. With each day my confidence grows. I am a defensive rider and do not take too many risks. Today I got an avg of 28 kmpl.
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 22:27   #18
BHPian

Dear Nandu,

Congratulations on the Duke! I wish you safe and happy riding for years to come..

Thanks to your post, i now have a benchmark to continue riding 30 years later

Last edited by sam_b : 27th March 2013 at 22:42.
sam_b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 23:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Captain

Your passion for bikes & craving to do more & more with them is something to be seen.

All the best & keep us posted
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 19:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the Duke sir. There is no 5000 rpm limiter on your bike. You can take it to redline if you wish. In any gear.
Doc there is NO RED line on the Duke. I just see a red light. Yes 1-5 gears I am now ignoring the red light, but in traffic, I can't over take smart lady riders with helmets on their ACTIVAS !

Does helmets give them a wrong signal to take risks? Or are they really competent ?

Rgds
Old 28th March 2013, 20:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted.

Off topic chit-chat, ridiculing women or a particular community is not allowed on Team-BHP

Please take a look at our rules before proceeding

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd April 2013 at 20:33.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 13:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I renamed the bike “The Duke and Duchess of Wellington” after seeing my wife Medini (the Duchess) and the Duke.

MOTIVATION

Very recently I started teaching at a Nautical University. I have this habit of mixing up my lectures with my photography. Ofcourse most are related to "Life at Sea" and a few to Mobiking.

This mix and match goes well with the Cadets. Often they clap !

They had seen my Duke pics on Facebook and insisted that I ride in the bike to the University.

I am just posting a few pics of the 3 Bikes I rode. With more rides, I will post many more of the "Duke and Duchess of Wellington".
Nandu,

You are an ispiration for all of us and a living proof of the dictum" Age is a state of Mind" . Kudos to you and the Duchess for teaching us how to live life to the fullest.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th March 2013 at 20:10.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 19:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Nandu,

You are an ispiration for all of us and a living proof of the dictum" Age is a state of Mind" . Kudos to you and the Duchess for teaching us how to live life to the fullest.
Rajneesh compliments accepted with great humility

Tomorrow, Sunday, March 31, I have my first ride out on the Duke with the DUKES OF PUNE.

Wish me luck.

I will post a detailed report of the Ride.

Rgds
Old 30th March 2013, 19:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Doc there is NO RED line on the Duke. I just see a red light. Yes 1-5 gears I am now ignoring the red light, but in traffic, I can't over take smart lady riders with helmets on their ACTIVAS !

Does helmets give them a wrong signal to take risks? Or are they really competent ?

Rgds
There is no "physical" red line. Just the one at which the rev limiter kicks in. Which on the new bikes is 10,000 rpm I think (you can check with the KTM engineer).

The blinking red light is a shift light. It start blinking at RPM1 and becomes constant at RPM2 - both of which can be programmed by you (se Owner's Manual for instructions).

Do not ignore the light completely. Shift up once you see the light blinking. But do not be paranoid about doing it the moment you see the light. Use it as a guideline and not a diktat. Pull the bike freely in each gear through the rev range allowed. Keep shifting. Do not ride at one RPM for too long. City traffic will ensure that anyways. Do not lug the bike at low speeds on higher gears. Better to be at the upper end of the allowed range than lower. Shift to adjust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Tomorrow, Sunday, March 31, I have my first ride out on the Duke with the DUKES OF PUNE.

Wish me luck.
Best of Luck! Ride safe. Where are you guys headed to?

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd April 2013 at 20:31. Reason: Restoring useful content from deleted post here
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 19:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Best of Luck! Ride safe. Where are you guys headed to?
Doc to Mulshi but via a road less used, probably rural outbacks. I was advised not to take my wife on this Ride. I myself am unaware of the route.

Rgds
Old 30th March 2013, 21:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

All the best. Look forward to your report with pics.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 20:08   #27
BHPian

The Ride with Dukes of Pune is done. Will take a while to write that review am waiting for pics from DOPs to fetch up. Trust me it was !AWESOMESS!

In the meantime I had blogged about the Avenger, which holds good for the Duke may be much more .

RIDE ON

THE BAJAJ AVENGER:

Finally after a long wait, visiting showrooms endlessly, I got the bike I wanted…that bike is the powerhouse of a Beast they call, THE AVENGER.

I will not trouble you with tech details, you can get them on: www.bajajavenger.com

The D-DAY

Wife and I got the call 01 Oct. We went to the showroom. The red Beast was there waiting to take me off on a ride. Formalities over, I mounted the Beast, started and took off on a busy road. Mind you, I was driving a bike of my own after 31 years! The ride home was wobbly, awkward, the heavy traffic and the bad roads did not help.

02 October, early morning I told my woman to get ready for a highway test-drive, a stretch of 40 kms, close to my home.

The FEEL the TOUCH the RIDE

The ignition start was a breeze. Getting to the highway, I stopped the Beast. Gear one, revved up the RPM, shot off quite quick off the blocks. I was cruising comfortably at 50 kmph down to the fifth gear. That is the limit for first 500 kms.

The Feel: Great feel. Everything worked fine, the gears, clutch, and the throttle. The exhaust 4 stroke revs sounded fine. Not too loud just the right rhythm.

The Sound: Amazing soft sound of the 4 stroke engine, sending up super vibrations right up the spinal cord to the nerve centers of the brain, ending up with a feeling of pure ecstasy.

The Touch: The powerhouse of the Beast, the 180 DTSi, reacts swiftly to gear changes synchronized with the throttle. Surprisingly quick for a heavy cruiser bike.
The Ride: Amazing stuff. The comfort of driving this Avenging cruiser is phenomenal. Overtaking is swift, just push up to 4th gear, open the throttle and everything moves behind the bike at the speed of light. The road grip is good, thanks to broad rear tires. The front brakes are very efficient. The foot brakes are a problem for me. The headlights are powerful. Banking is a breeze. All iAll in all, I love this Beast!

You are pushing 54, why bike now?

This is a question my friends and family ask and my answers drives them crazy. Here are a few answers.

1. The Beast is primarily for highway rides, say Pune to Bangalore type of rides with spin outs to jungles, sanctuary, lakes, forts and whatever else enroute. A car is a utility device, a machine that takes me from point A to B. Period. A bike on the other hand, the Cruiser kinds, is a Beast of PASSION.

2. A car is relatively safe, comfortable with an a/c, music, protects you from pollutants. The Beast exposes me to elements of nature, especially the wind. The danger adds a bit to the spirit of adventure. The sheer delight of hearing the revs of a 4-stroke bike engine, the quick response to the throttle makes the car look like a lumbering elephant.

3. Driving a car say 5000 kms on a vacation is a pleasure. Driving the Beast 5000 kms will be an adventure of the highest order, especially in company of biking club members. The physical and mental wear and tear is a must to be endured to get the max out of biking adventures. Most Royal Enfield bikers who ride away on long drives are over 40 yrs. In the USA I saw so many bikers over 60 yrs. They are all big beefy men and women.

4. Bikes are cheap for the riding pleasure. The same excitement can perhaps be matched by sports cars and they cost a bomb. In a car you drive, on a bike you ride. There is a world of a difference tween the two.

A DREAM FANTASY RIDE:

Your AVENGING RIDE, your DESTINY, your SPIRIT, your SOUL, and your Point of no RETURN

Mount the Beast. Start the power plant. Rev up the engine fast and furious down to the fifth gear smartly. Then, open the throttle max and BLAST down the valley of Death with all the God given power and fury at your disposal. Have no fears, the Avenging Angels will pull you up the steep slopes and awaken you to a new dawn. Remember, cowards die many deaths, the brave die just once. Your Avenger has begun to avenge your inner demons. Ride on…..

You have begun to learn from the winds, you learn from the mountains, you fly with the devil, you learn from the wisdom of nature and life.

You ride at night sleep by day, your back hurts. The Odo shows 550 kms. Ride on. Your music is the throbbing stereophonic sounds of the macho exhaust, the air, and the fury of speed. Your protections are the Gods in heaven. You feel the God within you urging you to open up the throttle further. Push beyond the limits known and unknown. There is no destination. The road of life never ends never begins. You are the destiny’s child; the Avenger is God’s gift for you to learn, to ride, you are on a new voyage. A voyage that takes you to the point of no return, till you have awakened the soaring spirits within you. Nothing else matters. This is the essence of biking, to begin with. The Odo shows 2543 kms. Ride on…….

On the road of enlightenment, the future is what you see ahead of you, the present is you and your Avenger, the past is what you see in the rear view mirror. You have begun to come back to life, to soar, to get the highs and the lows. The Avenger is your silent broadband, let the music play on. Ride on….

Odo says 3521 kms. You have begun to discover yourself. The demons have gone. A part of you has died, giving birth to a new you. You are sore, tired. The horizon changes, the road ahead is there to be traversed. The pent up fury within you has eased. Ride on…….

Remember you and I were born to live. You are riding, down 6589 kms on the Odo. The biker and his machine join in unison. The Avenger slowly becomes a part of your biological body. The man machine interface is your new matrix . You have a whole new philosophy. A whole new thought process. You are still learning. You want to Avenge your self against yourself, your killer dreams.You die. Happy birthday to the new you. Hang on. I need you to live a wee bit longer. To stay wild, it’s déjà vu time . Ride on. ……..

Hell fire and burning souls. The devils have gone. You open throttle max, speedo reads 120. The roar of the energies let loose, silencers all gone. It’s the magic that never ends. You have forgiven all else, be they mortals, your fate, your wretched horoscope. Your past has been erased. You are fully reconfigured. Ride on….

Odo reads 22,569 kms. You have scorched the earth, have burned the CD of life like never before ……..your way to your ultimate destination, a destination you never want to reach.

You are riding. The Odo says 48,623 kms. You have understood ecstasy, fulfillment, and desire. You are celebrating LIFE. Eventually, you will have mastered your fate. Ride on…..

The Avenging Angels fly away. It’s the end of the road. You have learned everything. The Odo reads 98989. Who cares? Your ride into infinity has just begun. The Avenger is you, YOU are the AVENGER. Ride on…..
You rest your tired broken body and shattered bones against the Avenger’s tank. The body dies but your spirit lives. Ride on……

Now you hear your inner voice say:

I FEEL LIKE GOD. I AM GOD.”

Your soul is liberated forever. Ride on……….

Somewhere in the space, in the dark star lit twilight zone, we meet and walk the talk of life, and pass judgment on the Avenger.

We can do that because we be the GODS . We shake hands and what do we say? We say...............

“ RIDE ON…..”
nanduchitnis is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:26   #28
BHPian

MY RIDE WITH THE DUKES OF PUNE

Note : For reasons of protecting the individuals involved I will not reveal the names of the Dukes of Pune . I will use their nick names which I have made up myself.

DOP: Dukes of Pune.

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-dop-tee-logo.jpg

DoD : Duke of the Dukers, the founder of the Dukes of Pune.

Anna: A very spirited eccentric off roader from TN, who works in Pune and lives at in my building in Pashan, Pune. I have shifted to Amanora Towers last 2 months but I had noticed that Duke in the Parking lot of my residence at Pashan. Never met Anna there though!

Shendya: Who tailed me and watched my riding style and gave me valuable tips.

Circus: The best Off Roader of DOP.

A BIT ABOUT DoD

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-dod.jpg

DoD is an old friend of mine who I met some 5 years ago when I was very active in Photography and Riding. I taught him the technique of Panning Shots. He owned a Baja 180 cc bike but that was lying largely disused. We did a few rides before I broke off from Riding and Photography some 2 years ago and started to live a retired , well behaved life, at age 60, like my peers.

DoD progressed rapidly in Photography is now perhaps level par with Professionals.He is 43 years old and a Vice President in a Telecom Company.

DoD and 2 others started the Dukes of Pune Riding Club on Diwali, a year ago.

When I got the Duke recently, he invited me to his Club and I foolishly accepted, not knowing what these riders do and my bike still in Running In period.

He told me “Sunday Ride to Mulshi.” Now that road is carpeted and decent road. The route we took was quite different. Very different !

THE ASSEMBLY

I was the first to arrive at 6 AM sharp, being an ex Navy Veteran, at the designated meet point on Sus Road Pashan. Some 8 other Duke of Pune Riders sauntered in at 3 minutes interval.

These guys were perfectly dressed in proper expensive Riding Gear. I only had a Jacket, other items being out of stock with my Vendor.
We started with a cup of tea at a Tapri.

The Duke of Dukes introduced me to them. All these guys looked pretty normal human beings to me

THE RIDE AND ROUTE

They took a route from Sus Road to Symbiosis College, which is a normal tarmac road. I had a tail man at all times being the slowest Rider limited in speed. There after the road turned nasty for some 60 kilometers!

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-roads-hell.jpg

MY EXPERIENCE OFF ROADING

I had very limited experience of Off Roading and a route I did once many years ago, 2007, led to a crash injuring my pillion wife and me. Our helmets saved us, we had no other riding gear. Lucky for us my bike. the Avenger started while my wife was howling away in perceived pain.

She was in shock. I WAS IN SHOCK because she was in shock![/SIZE]
Luck!! Some 20 kms away was a Naval Hospital at INS Shivaji, where we were treated very well, by all Navy Doctors, despite that day being a Sunday.

I NEVER OFFROADED AGAIN except for the Ladakh ride.

THE MAD DUKERS OF PUNE

I was very tentative and slow on these broken roads, potholed, gravel, sand, mud and stones everywhere.
KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-learning-off-road.jpg

These mad Dukers were on FULL THROTTLE as if they were riding on an Auto Bhan or Expressway !

Their front wheel pointing North East, their rear wheel disjointed from the direction of course made good, the Rider half standing on the bike and the bike actually heading 30 deg away from the actual direction their Duke front wheel !

Anna was the worst of the lot.

Circus was riding as if he and the Duke came out from his mother’s womb together!

He was biologically connected to his Duke. Now this can happen in an Animated Cartoon Movie, and these Dukers were just that!

I was with a bunch of loonies transported into the Movie. Only difference was I was not watching the show in an air-conditioned Multiplex, I WAS RIDING WITH THEM!

INSANITY RULEZ was how these Dukers were riding.

After an hour, they stopped by the mountain side for photography. All my bones had taken severe beating, my bums were aching. I must have locked my wheel 20 times when breaking!

The scenery and topography around me was breath taking.

Hugh mountains on one side, a large river the other side. The weather was nice and cool. Only the RDING WAS BAD FOR ME AND MY DUKE.

I looked around and asked DoD “Where are we?” He told me we on the road to Mulshi.

I said “Are you sure we are in India? This terrain and mountains around looks like Afghanistan to me! I can see Talibans hiding on the hill sides to shoot us! ”

The Mad Dukers all . That broke the ice and we got talking.

DoD said “ Captain you will have to speed up. Else you can turn around back to Pune!”

All the other Mad Dukers protested and said NO, I MUST CONTINUE !! AND AT MY OWN SAFE SPEED!

I got a few tips from Dukers. “ Ride gears 2,3,4. When in danger downshift quickly and apply front brakes lightly. Arms should be without any tension. Open throttle wide open!”

Like hell I was going to open throttle wide open. They had all the protection I had none except a jacket.

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-thats-me.jpg

RIDING SKILLS IMPROVED

Now Circus was way ahead and Shendya was tailing me. I rode with the tips they gave me over two stretches.

WoW I succeeded.

But the red warning lamp was coming on all the time. Besides I remembered I had no protection.

HALT 2

Halt 2 was a much needed breakfast break. Again these animated Toy Boys, all looked like normal human beings to me. That was a relief.

Anna was loud giving some lectures on HEALTH ! That annoyed me. As if this MAD DUKER ON WHEELS cares a damn about health.

I cut in, I asked him if he was a Doctor. He said he was NOT. I asked him to shut his mouth off if he was NOT a Doctor !

Which he did, which amazed the other Mad Dukers of Pune !! No one had ever dared to shut up Anna on their previous rides !

The Duke of Dukers started to talk about cholesterol and his blood test reports. Again I got annoyed. I asked him “ Do you know what is the color of cholesterol?”

The Mad Dukers answered in unison “ORANGE! .

That is the signature color of Duke Bikes.

And it went on like this till breakfast ended.

HALT 3

At halt no 3, the Dukers stopped to drink some water. I was by now totally rattled. My bones were disjointed. I was totally stressed!

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-nandu-stressed.jpg

HALT 4

End of off roading. Tea break.

My tail man Shendya who gave me valuable tips, said “GOOD RIDING. You will get better and better.”

WOW !! I had survived 60 kms of Off Roading !!

The Mad Dukers had words of praise for me. I accepted that with humility. I guess many Mad Dukers Dad’s are younger than me. Respects NOT to me.

Total RESPECTS to the Dukes of Pune!

DOWN HILL TO LONAVALA

I was the first to leave and hit the smooth tarmac like a mad man on fire, to hell with warning lights!

Circus immediately tailed me.

One by one Shendya and other Dukers overtook me.

Shendya I was told was the fastest Duker on smooth tarmacs and twisties.

Circus kept a watchful eye on me down hill to Lonavala some 20 kms away. He HATES smooth roads!

We reached Lonavala town, but Shendya was MISSING, no where to be seen.

Something serious had happened. What happened is not for me to say. That is the prerogative of the Duke of Dukers.

I read some SMS’es from my wife on my cell phone. It was LONAVALA CHIKKI!

LONAVALA TO PUNE

Chikki done, Circus asked me to ride to Pune and said the rest will catch up with me later.

I rode alone Lonavala to Pune.

I OPENED THROTTLE in 6th gear to 116 kmph. I was riding like an Animated Movie Toy Rider right upto home .

Wow, I was riding SAFE and like a near Champion!

I owe that to the crazy Dukes of Pune.

They succeeded in transforming me.

Yes I am a Transformed Rider on the Duke!

But I will NEVER CROSS my safe limits.

At age 62 I can't suffer broken bones.

THE END

The total distance covered during this ride was 204 kms, of which 60 kms was off roading as per the GPS Maps.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-off-roading.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-dop-nandu.jpg  

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 2nd April 2013 at 07:30.
nanduchitnis is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:32   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Sir, congratulations on the new bike and salute for living your dreams!

The Duke looks smashing. I saw one about 3 weeks back and since it was customised a bit, couldn't place it at all. Here's a pic:
KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-dsc_1554.jpg

All the best to you! Have fun with your machine.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:51   #30
BHPian

Hello Captain, fantastic ride you have there and an amazing write-up! Your spirit is truly inspiring! Ride on!!!

Hope to ride with you someday.

Regards
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote