Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th August 2014, 11:07   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalmg View Post
Hi Tharian,

Ok here's a caveat before I try to do what you ask me to - I am mechanically challenged, so instead of trying to say things I know nothing of I will jump straight to the experience.
Thanks for the report Gopalmg.
That cleared a lot of doubts in my mind between the GT and TB.

For me, there are many points that pull me towards the GT and just one or two towards the TB500 and the main one being comfort.

I never knew the gear ratios are different on both the bikes, that is news to me.
Or is that the ratios are the same but feels different since the GT revs higher due to its lighter piston set up?
Either ways, it leads to good fun .

Do keep updating this thread with regards to issues and regular service etc, time permitting.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 12:12   #317
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

I don't have any pics but back when I was interested in the CGT, I did some measurements on the showroom floor. So it can be done easily. In fact my plan was to change the front forks as well to incorporate the 19 inch front. You just need an intelligent FNG. It may require additional throttle and clutch cables from the C500. Might need the brake hose which you can upgrade to a braided one.
So this will be the RE, dreams are made of.
When I get free from my work in a month or so, I'll be doing the same.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 23:17   #318
BHPian

Has anyone in India added a fairing or a windscreen to their CGT? Are there any options available here?

I found this Givi windscreen for 54 pounds on Hitchcocks Motorcycles and a cockpit fairing kit on Skidmarx for 80 pounds. The latter comes in Red, Black or White.
Attached Images

neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 09:19   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
When I get free from my work in a month or so, I'll be doing the same.
Hi I will be eagerly looking forward to your work... I was fully impressed by the handling off CGT which is mostly due to the twin tube frame. But at the age of 54, the stance of the bike may not suit me for long rides and have been wondering about raised handlebars that will give a slightly upright riding position.
Slightly off topic: I am also wondering why is RE not offering the same frame in other models too. They have all the jigs & tooling in place for welding and machining, the engine mount points are the same. The cost will go up only marginally, but the handling will be miles above the current ones. Or is it that they are not interested since the waiting periods are still high.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 09:24   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
....Or is it that they are not interested since the waiting periods are still high.
There. You just answered yourself!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 12:31   #321
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
The cost will go up only marginally, but the handling will be miles above the current ones. Or is it that they are not interested since the waiting periods are still high.
Well Royal Enfield doesn't have any jigs and fixtures in place as such. They outsource their frames from a vendor. The frame for CGT was developed in conjuction with Harris Engineering which I doubt RE can easily comprehend in terms of structural rigidity and balance. Once they do, I don't think it would be time before their vendor starts giving them cheaper CGT type frames.

But I believe RE won't be doing that because they don't work that way.
the-mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 13:32   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-mechanic View Post
They outsource their frames from a vendor. The frame for CGT was developed in conjuction with Harris Engineering which I doubt RE can easily comprehend in terms of structural rigidity and balance. Once they do, I don't think it would be time before their vendor starts giving them cheaper CGT type frames.

But I believe RE won't be doing that because they don't work that way.
Oh, I didn't realize that they outsource the frames. It makes sense since they can cut down on the costs. Then it should be that much easier too to increase the off take from the supplier or increase the supplier base. But as all of us feel, being what they are it may not happen in the near future
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 12:52   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for the report Gopalmg.
That cleared a lot of doubts in my mind between the GT and TB.

For me, there are many points that pull me towards the GT and just one or two towards the TB500 and the main one being comfort.

I never knew the gear ratios are different on both the bikes, that is news to me.
Or is that the ratios are the same but feels different since the GT revs higher due to its lighter piston set up?
Either ways, it leads to good fun .

Do keep updating this thread with regards to issues and regular service etc, time permitting.
Hi Tharian & Fellow Members

Just completed a 1000 km trip on my Continental GT from Gurgaon to Dhungir in Uttarkashi and back. I took different routes going and returning and encountered different conditions. While going took the Muzaffarnangar, Roorkee, Dehradun, Mussoorie route to Dhungir and while returning took the Vikas Nagar, Herbertpur, Paonta Sahib, Yamuna Nagar route.

So how was this ride? I going on a long ride for the first time on the Continental GT and was not sure about the bike's capabilities or the riding position of the bike.

The first day's ride had to be carried out in pouring rain which started at Chutlampur after Roorkee and continued the whole day till I reached Kempty Falls some 10 Km after Mussoorie, plus the heavy tourist rush and minor landslides meant major jams and slow moving traffic on roads that were for most parts uphill climbs. I was soaked to the core, I had water in my boots and by the time I reached Kempty, was totally exhausted. I was gripping the handle too tightly which resulted in pain in my forearms and wrists. My biceps were hurting badly. But the big difference from riding my Thunderbird 500 for the same time and distance was that my back and tailbone didn't hurt. Also my legs didn't feel stiff.

However, after a good nights rest, when I moved on the next day, the sun was out and I too was nice and relaxed. This time I made a minor modification in my seating position and held the handle lightly and ensured my elbows were parallel to my thighs. This really helped, I rode the remaining 100 km to my eventual destination , Dhungir in relative comfort.

After spending a night at Dhungir, I decided to take the longer but faster route back to Gurgaon via Vikas Nagar and Yamuna Nagar. It was on this route the Continental GT really, really surprised me. The route itself wasn't straight forward, strtches of buttery smooth tarmac abruptly merged into stretches of broken, washed away roads with nullahs flowing across the track and slushy conditions before again straightening out into buttery, smooth tarmac.

With a slight adjustment to my riding position, I found the GT taking on landslide hit, rocky terrain with aplomb. On the TB 500, this would have been a bone jarring ride but on the GT I just crossed these with ease. I had greater control, even with a light grip on the handle bars the bike didn't jerk around too much. Even on rocky stretches, it held its line. On muddy stretches too the bike didn't shift and that felt good. The grip of the Pirellis is fantastic, the suspension too keeps you protected from bumps and the hits to the tyres don't travel all the way up.

In fact, this one trip changed my opinion about the GT's abilities. There is so much said about the Thunderbird, that the GT is totally underrated for touring. The press too just swalloed the whole Cafe Racer bull without bothering to check if the bike was worth more. Enfield's own positioning of the bike as a leisure, short distance sprinter does disservice to the bike. Each time I got off the bike to give myself a rest, there was no back pain, no pain in my tailbone, no stiff legs that needed a massage. In fact, there was not even the neck pain which I initially thought I would have. But yes, my arms did hurt; specially, the left one. Funnily, I was more worried about my right arm because only last month I had suffered a dislocation in my right shoulder and I was cagey about that but my shoulder is fine and there was no pain throughout the trip. My left bicep still feels sore but my right arm is absolutely fine. Go figure.

On the flat tarmac from Yamuna Nagar to Gurgaon, I was able to ride the longer and harder. Weaving through the traffic on NH 123 and NH 8 was a breeze. However since I had started riding from around 6 am in the morning meant that I was tiring by late afternoon. The pain in my left arm was more but halts at the right time and slightly longer halts provided immense relief.

But the GT has its quirks, when going downhill, your body tends to slide a little forward and you have to remind yourself constantly to hold the handle lightly (which I feel is more my failing).

On the whole, the GT is as capable a tourer as the Thunderbird but the TB's slightly laid back seating stance and the GT's slightly crouched one leads us to believe that GT is uncomfortable which is patently untrue.
gopalmg is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 19:44   #324
BHPian

Quote:

Just completed a 1000 km trip on my Continental GT from Gurgaon to Dhungir in Uttarkashi and back. I took different routes going and returning and encountered different conditions. While going took the Muzaffarnangar, Roorkee, Dehradun, Mussoorie route to Dhungir and while returning took the Vikas Nagar, Herbertpur, Paonta Sahib, Yamuna Nagar route.
Nice, You must have crossed my place while going towards Mussorie. I live on Mussoorie road. Nice ride. Both the routes you took are our usual stroll. & I agree doing the same route from Dehradun on my TB500 makes my tail bone cry for help.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 17:52   #325
BHPian

Quote:
On the whole, the GT is as capable a tourer as the Thunderbird but the TB's slightly laid back seating stance and the GT's slightly crouched one leads us to believe that GT is uncomfortable which is patently untrue.

Interesting! A very nice review though. It sounds even more encouraging now to get a CGT, not withstanding the fact that my requirement could be more of commute and/or weekend fun riding in and around my home.

Mallik Kovuri
mkovuri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 18:42   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post

Interesting! A very nice review though. It sounds even more encouraging now to get a CGT, not withstanding the fact that my requirement could be more of commute and/or weekend fun riding in and around my home.

Mallik Kovuri
Hi Mallik Kovuri
I assure you, the Continental GT will leave a smile on your face after the ride. Weekend after weekend.
gopalmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 18:54   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed report, Gopalmg.
I feel a lot depends on what type of a rider each person is, which is why I wanted to know from you how different both the bikes are on trips apart from the obvious by just looking how different they are by sight.

I am more of a relaxed , constant rpm, rider, but I tend to push when I see a ghat section since I enjoy foot peg scrapping as much as I enjoy a straight expressway doing decent speeds constantly and of course like many of us, I love a bike that moves off the block like a bullet which I felt with the Conti when I took a test ride.

The only issue I think I will have is shoulder and wrist aches. The test bike I rode was an accident bike and had a fork bend and by the time I finished a 4 kms ride in a more or less free road, the corner of my right palm was paining so bad, that I was looking at the TB that was on display instantly.
But then I never liked the TB from the day it was launched and still don't and I rather go with my heart , especially when buying a bike
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 20:38   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for the detailed report, Gopalmg.
I feel a lot depends on what type of a rider each person is, which is why I wanted to know from you how different both the bikes are on trips apart from the obvious by just looking how different they are by sight.
=======
But then I never liked the TB from the day it was launched and still don't and I rather go with my heart , especially when buying a bike
Hi,

The ache will be more in your wrists but if you sit with your arms bent and your elbows parallel to the thigh, you should be okay. Also, a light grip on the handle helps. However, motorcycling, specially long distance riding requires some kind of fitness so strengthening your arms and wrists is advisable.
gopalmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 01:27   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only issue I think I will have is shoulder and wrist aches. The test bike I rode was an accident bike and had a fork bend and by the time I finished a 4 kms ride in a more or less free road, the corner of my right palm was paining so bad, that I was looking at the TB that was on display instantly.
But tell you what the GT will be awesome to ride on those ghats. The cornering ability of GT is definitely better if you take the right riding position.

The pain you are getting is normal for you are sitting upright and trying to ride this bike. In reality check this position

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5...al-GT_lead.jpg

Try riding in this position and those corners are sweet and the weight is perfect. The gearing may be slightly longer than what you want but at right gears and right speed the GT is definitely a better fit for those ghats personally for me from my time with the GT.

The effort required to shift weight and get that cornering right is so easy in the GT.

I even told my friend i dont mind a GT frame and a ktm engine
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 17:53   #330
BHPian

For those concerned about the waiting period of the CGT - I had booked a yellow CGT on the 2nd of Aug at the RE showroom at Jayanagar. I was verbally given a commitment of delivery within one month though the tentative date of delivery was written as two months on my booking slip (cue air of cynicism....) I received an sms confirming my booking on the 2nd of Aug. Today I called up the contact number given on the sms and I was told that the bike is in the godown already (!!!). Now running behind them to get details of their account (for online transaction) and final amount to be paid.

God bless their new plant - I had gone earlier in the year to check their bike but the massive waiting period made me think again.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 21st August 2014 at 17:56.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote