Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th April 2013, 21:08   #1

Default Top selling Bike in the world?

Ever wonder which motorcycle model has the title of the largest selling motorcycle in the world... i tried searching on the web and came with multiple claims to the same.. while the nameplate may be the same the models would be different.. for example when it comes to cars the VW beetle is still the largest selling model in the world. Wonder what the motorcycle equivalent would be.. My bet is on the Hero Honda Splendor and the Honda Cub
othelloinme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 18:56   #2
BHPian

Default re: Top selling Bike in the world?

As far as which bike is the largest selling bike in the world is concerned there is only one answer and that is the Honda Cub. Over 60 million Honda Cubs were sold all over the world.

In fact, James May of Top Gear has said in the Vietnam special episode that if you combine the total units sold of the top three selling cars of the world, VW Beetle, the Ford Model T and all the versions of the Toyota Corolla, you still would not have as many number sold as the Honda Cub.

The Hero Honda Splendor however is the largest selling bike in India. I think about 8 million units have been sold since it's launch which is more than even the Bajaj Chetak.
bharat.joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 23:40   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Top selling Bike in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by othelloinme View Post
Ever wonder which motorcycle model has the title of the largest selling motorcycle in the world... i tried searching on the web and came with multiple claims to the same.. while the nameplate may be the same the models would be different.. for example when it comes to cars the VW beetle is still the largest selling model in the world. Wonder what the motorcycle equivalent would be.. My bet is on the Hero Honda Splendor and the Honda Cub
I think the Beetle is no longer the largest selling model in the world. That crown has now been passed on to the humble Toyota corolla. Also Wikipedia claims that india's largest selling model to date is the Hindustan Ambassador with 4 million units sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ng_automobiles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-car-time.html

Last edited by amrisharm : 9th April 2013 at 23:41.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 23:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I think the Beetle is no longer the largest selling model in the world. That crown has now been passed on to the humble Toyota corolla. Also Wikipedia claims that india's largest selling model to date is the Hindustan Ambassador with 4 million units sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ng_automobiles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-car-time.html
Not anymore apparently!! The market is really in a flux now a days.

Ford Focus cruises to top of global sales
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 00:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Not anymore apparently!! The market is really in a flux now a days.

Ford Focus cruises to top of global sales
I think your article only refers to sales in one given year of 2012. While the Toyota corolla is the best selling car in the world starting from the first corolla that was sold since 1966 till date. And the total units of corollas sold till date is approx 39 million (3.9 crore).
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 00:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I think your article only refers to sales in one given year of 2012. While the Toyota corolla is the best selling car in the world starting from the first corolla that was sold since 1966 till date. And the total units of corollas sold till date is approx 39 million (3.9 crore).
Touché! I actually misread what you posted.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 01:17   #7

The corolla is the largest selling nameplate in the world.. over eleven generations and a lot of models as far as design, body styles, versions, etc. However the beetle still has the record for the single model body style is concerned.

And its the same with the cub... the cub nameplate is the largest selling in the world with six or seven variation's.. how much has the splendor changed since its launch :-)
othelloinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 03:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by othelloinme View Post
My bet is on the Hero Honda Splendor and the Honda Cub
Like the Corolla - the biggest selling nameplate would be the Honda Cub indeed. And this count does not include the fact that it was sold in many other markets of the world under different variations too (Like our Bajaj M80).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat.joshi View Post
Over 60 million Honda Cubs were sold all over the world.

The Hero Honda Splendor however is the largest selling bike in India. I think about 8 million units have been sold since it's launch which is more than even the Bajaj Chetak.
It crossed 5 million mark in 2004 and 11 million mark in 2009. My guess is it should be somwhere around the 15 million mark now.

But whether it is the best selling bike or not - will always be a case for argument. Splendor nameplate was also used on different bikes - like Super splendor, Splendor +, Splendor NXG, Splendor plus, Splendor Pro etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 00:03   #9

Hmmm good point. Still its nice to see and Indian manufacturer having a product that's sustained itself in the wake of all the competition. And for all u enthusiasts this thread is not about being promoting the Splendor. Its just that it would be nice to have an Indian manufacturer holding some kind of a records albeit with what is essentially Japanese product. I myself wouldnt be seen dead on a splendor considering im somewhat of a royal enfield fan and proud owner of two thunderbird. I say somewhat cause of my choice of royal enfield of course. (I think i can hear a war cry from the enfield purists) anyway keep on motoring folks... !!!!
othelloinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 01:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Like the Corolla - the biggest selling nameplate would be the Honda Cub indeed. And this count does not include the fact that it was sold in many other markets of the world under different variations too (Like our Bajaj M80).

It crossed 5 million mark in 2004 and 11 million mark in 2009. My guess is it should be somwhere around the 15 million mark now.

But whether it is the best selling bike or not - will always be a case for argument. Splendor nameplate was also used on different bikes - like Super splendor, Splendor +, Splendor NXG, Splendor plus, Splendor Pro etc.
Thanks for the clarification there about the Splendor. 15 million is for all the 100cc versions of the bike and is a huge figure by any standards. Other records held by the Splendor also include maximum sales in one single year in one single country which was more than 1 million in the year 2006.

There is however a huge debate regarding the conditions for deciding the largest selling bike or car in the world. The reason the old Beetle is considered but not the new one is because when the New Beetle was launch the old one was still being manufactured in Mexico. So the two cars were considered different and not related. The fact of the Corolla was that the Corolla has always been updated from it's previous versions while the manufacture of the previous version has always stopped.

If Hero Motocorp are able to upgrade the Splendor and improve their sales I feel the bike may become the second largest selling bike in the world.

Slightly off topic though, wasn't the Bajaj M80 a Kawasaki bike and not a Honda Cub?
bharat.joshi is offline   Reply With Quote