Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th April 2013, 11:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Pulsar 180 - Unpredictably rough <-> smooth engine behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
You can upsize to old P200 jets or the P220 jets for your P180. I have a 8 month old P180 and believe me I am facing the same music since it was 1 month old.

But yes, redlining it a few times or long ride does open up the engine in a very good way and improves the throttle response. It may be the same harsh story the next day but instantly you get a smoother better performing engine. The downside is, P180's FE is exponentially related to throttle input. Redlining might drop the FE to an extent.

Over and above these points, do get your chain checked for slack/dryness as it is also responsible for a smooth pickup/ride. Pulsar chain needs regular attention.
I will think of up-sizing to P200 jet during next service. Power wise i am satisfied. Bike hits 110 kmph with ease.

If he existing jet is clogged wont the performance drastically come down?

Chain part- i got the bike serviced only a couple of weeks ago so now its good. Thanks for the suggestion, i will get the chain adjusted frequently.

I think all carb bike's FE is exponentially related to throttle
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:02   #17
BHPian

Default re: Pulsar 180 - Unpredictably rough <-> smooth engine behaviour

Bought the 180dtsi V1 in 2004 an still have it (amongst others). I would be suggesting on the same line as other Pulsar owners of similar generation bikes. No matter what you do, you will not have a Unicorn'ish experience. However upgrading the engine oil, spark plugs, Air filter and keeping the clutch plates and de carboning in check can help substantially.

Petronas synthetic has worked well on my bike for many years, but cant find the same oil anymore. Its close to a lac kms now.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 09:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pulsar 180 - Unpredictably rough <-> smooth engine behaviour

An update. I switched over to shell unleaded, one day before i posted this issue. I had filled up for 3 lts . After about 100 kms , i started feeling that the smoothness has increased a bit. So was sure that shell made some difference. Went ahead and tanked up completely with shell normal petrol! Voila - the bike's character has changed by leaps and bounds. The engine is lot smoother.The jerkiness in acceleration in 2,3,4 gear is reduced quite a bit! And the engine feels good over-all. Wondering why i did not switch to shell earlier

Hopefully this smoothness will continue. Will update this thread once i complete about 1000 kms on Shell to verify if the change is indeed permanent!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote