Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post

Thanks Perakath..I think that really solves the problem. The thought of selling the Harley later never crossed my mind.
Seriously buddy if you are not buying the HD for any reason please PM me the details and I will promise to keep the Iron until that time you are ready to buy it from me, we can figure it out. And in case you do decide to go ahead with RE, so be it, I will still be happy to own HD. The other option that you have got from our friends here that you buy the Iron and in case you want to take the RE later and give up Iron for sale, please let me know again.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd April 2013, 20:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: RE Classic Desert Storm 500 or Used Harley Iron 883?

Hi,
Buy and use the HD till such time you get your Bullet. Then sell the HD.
Two advantages to this:
You will have a ride.
Your name will often come up in discussions as 'the man who sold a HD for a Bullet'.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I won't own an RE ever, and I don't have the moolah to buy HD. But I've got to agree with the above.

Even when you have the chance of buying a much better and powerful machine in the HD, your heart still desires a bullet. You may not be happy even after spending extra money for the 'upgrade'.

As they say- love is blind.

Right said. I waited 8 long years to get my first RE.

the only difference between a HD and RE is authenticity. RE is still the more authentic classic of the two. Just head off to craigslist and see the prices of used RE in comparison to HD.
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 21:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After nearly a year since my booking of the RE Desert Storm 500, I'm still being made to wait for the delivery of the bike which was due in March this year.Even after a numerous calls and visits to the showroom there is still no hope of the bike being delivered to me anytime soon,since I am "9th on the waiting list".After reading so many threads on this site by people facing the same problems and how the showroom guys are taking RE customers for a ride,I have lost any hope I had.

MonsterPatrol: Close your eyes, go for the Harley. FYI, I am a owner of the C5 and a 78, 350.

I happened to ride a friends superlow 883. Really good bike. Few pros and cons if i may:

Pros:
  • It is a Harley Davidson
  • It sounds awesome
  • It has a lovely Engine
  • It looks beautiful
  • She Rides wonderfully well
  • You can customize it to the Hilt.
  • You will be the owner of a Harley Davidson.

Cons
  • If you insist, it can be your daily bike, but really you cant ride that beast in traffic (Am from Mumbai, so am spekaing about traffic from a Mumbai Perspective)
  • You can't 'Cut' on this bike. viz you can't ride this bike like the way you would ride the bullet.
  • It is extremely LOW. Like really LOW. On mumbai Speedbreakers - one really has to actually STOP and slowly amble over the speedbreakers.

But even with the above Pros and Cons, If i could afford it, I would Blindly buy the HD (assuming the 2nd hand HD is in good condition).

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Seriously buddy if you are not buying the HD for any reason please PM me the details and I will promise to keep the Iron until that time you are ready to buy it from me, we can figure it out. And in case you do decide to go ahead with RE, so be it, I will still be happy to own HD. The other option that you have got from our friends here that you buy the Iron and in case you want to take the RE later and give up Iron for sale, please let me know again.
The details of the bike are on superbike classifieds on FB. Go through the page, there are quite a few up for sale.
MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

I own a RE Classic Chrome 500 for about 16 months now. I have been a biker right from my childhood but, over the years, got more passionate about cars and have bought 6 brand new cars in last decade or so.

But, at each stage of my life, I always had a bike and used to ride almost once in a day, as i dint want to lose the feel of riding 2-wheels. So owned plenty of them right from RX-100, Shogun to Samurai to Pulsar (which I still have) before finally graduating to a Bullet in Dec-2011.

Trust me, owning a bullet for 16 months has completely transformed me and once again hauled my love back from cars to two wheels and ownership of all my 2 wheels in the past now mean nothing to me as is the power of owning a Bullet. I look forward to my long rides almost each weekend more than my daily drive to office in my other monster (Cruze)

Except for a few minor irritants, didnt have a single problem with my BULL, so i feel the newer bullets are almost like any other contemprary bikes and slowly their mechanical issues are reducing to a large extent.

Also, iam stumped at the waiting periods quoted by others whereas in Hyderabad, Desert Storm or Classic Chrome 500 is available within a month.

I would eventually want to buy a Harley Davidson in a few years but, not at the cost of forfeting my bullet.

In my case, the popular saying has come true; 4 Wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
MonsterPatrol: Close your eyes, go for the Harley. FYI, I am a owner of the C5 and a 78, 350.

I happened to ride a friends superlow 883. Really good bike. Few pros and cons if i may:

Pros:

Can you also comment about the ride quality of HD/RE?

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd April 2013 at 17:08. Reason: Please dont quote entire long post. Thanks
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Can you also comment about the ride quality of HD/RE?
RE - I took the C5 to Mumbai - Ladakh and back. So the ride quality has to be good .

HD: I rode it for one full day, if you are well versed with Mumbai then you will understand: Andheri - worli - Andheri. And then in the night Andheri - Town - Andheri.

The gears were a bit tight, it was expected since it was a new bike. I expected the ride to be back shattering, but surprisingly, the bike soaked up most of the bumps on the road. Steering was a issue, as i am used to the free handle bars of the RE, the HD was difficult to steer, but by the end of the day, I almost got used to the bike

My Friend has got the pillion seat added (the superlow comes as just a single seater) since the pillion seat was raised, it gave good lowerback support while riding.

All in all, a sheer pleasure to ride . Being a hardened RE fan, I wanted to hate the bike, i wanted to tell 'not worth the money' I wanted to say 500 vs 833, i wanted to say 5 times as expensive but I couldnt.

One cant compare the Ride quality of RE to HD, they actually are two completely different machines, made for 2 completely different reason

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The details of the bike are on superbike classifieds on FB. Go through the page, there are quite a few up for sale.
I tried searching for the page but couldn't find it.

Could you mention the link itself here.
Rokztar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokztar View Post
I tried searching for the page but couldn't find it.

Could you mention the link itself here.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/Sbkclsfd/
MonsterPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:35   #26

Two factors to decide:
1.The feel good factor of owning a Harley Davidson
or
2.Just simply the crazy drool factor of a RE Desert Storm
MonsterPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I own a RE Classic Chrome 500 for about 16 months now. I have been a biker right from my childhood but, over the years, got more passionate about cars and have bought 6 brand new cars in last decade or so.

But, at each stage of my life, I always had a bike and used to ride almost once in a day, as i dint want to lose the feel of riding 2-wheels. So owned plenty of them right from RX-100, Shogun to Samurai to Pulsar (which I still have) before finally graduating to a Bullet in Dec-2011.

Trust me, owning a bullet for 16 months has completely transformed me and once again hauled my love back from cars to two wheels and ownership of all my 2 wheels in the past now mean nothing to me as is the power of owning a Bullet. I look forward to my long rides almost each weekend more than my daily drive to office in my other monster (Cruze)

Except for a few minor irritants, didnt have a single problem with my BULL, so i feel the newer bullets are almost like any other contemprary bikes and slowly their mechanical issues are reducing to a large extent.

Also, iam stumped at the waiting periods quoted by others whereas in Hyderabad, Desert Storm or Classic Chrome 500 is available within a month.

I would eventually want to buy a Harley Davidson in a few years but, not at the cost of forfeting my bullet.

In my case, the popular saying has come true; 4 Wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
Sirjee full senti .. Now i am taking some more inspiration from you and looking to purchase my second RE this year. (hopefully the continental GT).

with aboslutely no disrespect to HD owners - can you imagine taking your HD to tawang without loading it up on a truck ?
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Sirjee full senti .. Now i am taking some more inspiration from you and looking to purchase my second RE this year. (hopefully the continental GT).

with aboslutely no disrespect to HD owners - can you imagine taking your HD to tawang without loading it up on a truck ?
Super Low is more like a city/highway bike ( owners do correct me). I guess other HD's can do what RE can do.

Its like asking, can Civic go to Leh
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post

Glad that my emotions came out as intended

I had a tough time riding 2 bikes and 2 cars till about 6 months ago before disposing off one of my cars as I was the only person using them. So please buy the second one only if your sure you will ride it and not let it stay in the garage for long periods

HD is more of a lifestyle bike and no HD owner would even contemplate of taking it to the mountains for various reasons ( lack of parts availability, lack of knowledgeable repairing centers etc)

If i was a HD owner, it will only do duty on lovely roads like our ORR, NH-7 etc.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:52   #30
BHPian

I used to be an ardent enfield "Hater" till I rode my cousin's 1993 std 350 during the chai pakoda breakfast run for India Bike week. That one ride alone changed my entire concept towards RE.

I used to hate RE because of the old school tech, but because its a simple machine, one guy can totally dismantle and reassemble a RE in his home workshop. (provided he/she has access to tools.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Glad that my emotions came out as intended

I had a tough time riding 2 bikes and 2 cars till about 6 months ago before disposing off one of my cars as I was the only person using them. So please buy the second one only if your sure you will ride it and not let it stay in the garage for long periods

HD is more of a lifestyle bike and no HD owner would even contemplate of taking it to the mountains for various reasons ( lack of parts availability, lack of knowledgeable repairing centers etc)

If i was a HD owner, it will only do duty on lovely roads like our ORR, NH-7 etc.
I hope you know May 1st is BOBMC day. there is a small ride scheduled for the Hyd/Secunderabad chapter of BOBMC.

Last edited by adityasiera : 25th April 2013 at 15:55.
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote