Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 10:14   #106
Newbie
 
motofreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Bangalore>Mysore>Gopalaswamy Hill & Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My Blue Bird took me for a big ride today.

I left my Basaveswara Nagar home by 5 am on my Blue Bird to Mysore. I rode non-stop for the next 2.5 hours to Hotel Mylari, Nazarbad, Mysore, located 145 km from my home, where I breakfasted comprising 4 soft, oil-free dosas with sagoo and served with coconut chutney washed down by coffee.
Congratulations Ravi Sir for your Blue Bird and Bravo for your spirit! Every morning i open t-bhp and go over your thread updates to get my daily dose of inspiration. Sorry for not congratulating you earlier. I stumbled across your thread a week ago.

I have a 3 month old Desert Storm and traveled around 1400 kms. Using it purely as a commute bike for work. Planning to take her for a long ride soon.

Keep posting. I am sure there are many more silent admirers like me out there waiting for updates.

Cheers,
Aditya
motofreak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 10:27   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,249
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Super Stuff Sir, to be frank I envy your lifestlye. Appears that you have managed to be in the right place all the times

480 Kms in a single day is some wonderful stuff, am only tempted to ask you as to why you did not head to Ooty and do the amazing hair pin turns at kalhatti ghats? Or were you trying to brace yourself and taking it step by step?

Am very happy for you Sir, keep them rolling. Should meet you one of these days and will PM you my details.

Regarding the Mylari the place where you had been is indeed the original one. The other one opposite to it has an interesting story behind it. Not quite sure if its actually true or not. Apparently it was started by one of his worker after learning the trade but even his Dosas match the original ones in taste and quality. Bangalore also got its first Mysore Mylari hotel near the BMS Ladies Hostel which you should pay a visit. They are decently priced in Bangalore and the Dosas are actually softer than the ones you find in Mysore.

Last edited by ku69rd : 28th May 2013 at 10:30. Reason: Added Mylari Stuff
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 11:19   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,143
Thanked: 3,833 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post
Wishing you more such impromptu trips.
Thanks a lot for the kind wishes, thecdkfactor.
Quote:
The carburetor had been locked by the RE service engineers.
Why was it locked without your consent? Or do they do it during running in?
Quote:
Any pointers on where to get the bag that you have strapped with magnets on the tank ?
It's Cramster Turtle magnetic tank bag. It can also be attached to the pillion seat. It is very useful for one or two day trips. It is available with Sri Velavan Motors, Virugambakkam, Chennai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofreak View Post
Every morning i open t-bhp and go over your thread updates to get my daily dose of inspiration.
Thank you very much for the compliments, motofreak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
why you did not head to Ooty and do the amazing hair pin turns at kalhatti ghats? Or were you trying to brace yourself and taking it step by step?
You have rightly answered your own question, ku69rd. My first long distance ride was Chennai>Pondy>Chennai, 323 km in a day. The next one was Chennai to Bangalore, 379 km. And now, Bangalore to Gopalaswamy Betta and back, 480 km. Ooty and Kodaikanal are definitely in the radars of my Blue Bird.
Quote:
Should meet you one of these days and will PM you my details.
Sure, we will meet.
Quote:
Apparently it was started by one of his worker after learning the trade but even his Dosas match the original ones in taste and quality.
I posed the question to the owner. He smiled and said, Nammde original, sir [Only ours is the original]. He said, there was one more fake at Maddur, but later, it was closed.
Quote:
They are decently priced in Bangalore.
There was one Mysore Mylari Hotel or something like that. I informed the owner about the fake one in Bangalore too. He was not aware of that.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 11:32   #109
BHPian
 
thecdkfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post

Why was it locked without your consent? Or do they do it during running in?
They say they generally do it and open them up gradually as we clock more miles. Keep a watch on them if you feel any drop in power.

How much do the bags cost sir?
thecdkfactor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 11:49   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,143
Thanked: 3,833 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post
How much do the bags cost sir?
Thanks, thecdkfactor. I paid Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 4005
Size:  578 Bytes1,800 at Cramster, Cunningham Road, Bangalore.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 13:34   #111
BHPian
 
SuperSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Hello Ravi Sir, Congrats on your Blue Bird and having a good time with it! I've been following your ownership thread for quite sometime and it is great in a way that i am able to learn something new through your thread. Thanks!

I have a question for you regarding the registration process since your bike was registered in TN. If you could let me know what ID proofs were required as I was told by the dealer where I have booked my Electra Twinspark that the RTO guys accept only a Passport, Voter ID or a copy of LIC and nothing else! Not even RTO issued License! Please let me know if this is true!
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 15:49   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,249
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
I have a question for you regarding the registration process since your bike was registered in TN.
Congrats on your booking of the Electra Twinspark. Yes RTO mandates that you have to produce a document which is not issued by it. Strange but true for all RTO's across the country.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 17:46   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,143
Thanked: 3,833 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hello Ravi Sir, Congrats on your Blue Bird and having a good time with it!
Thanks for the nice words and wishes, SuperSlick. Congrats on your booking Electra.
Quote:
RTO guys accept only a Passport, Voter ID or a copy of LIC and nothing else!
You can include ration card in the list. Fortunately, my name is in the ration card bearing my Chennai home address. So, I produced that and it was accepted. If you don't have any of the specified documents, there is one affidavit to be prepared on stamp paper as per the format approved by RTO. But, there was no need for that in my case. Your dealer will give you the format. You have to pay Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 4087
Size:  578 Bytes500 additional fees to RTO, according to RE Brand Store, Chennai.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 28th May 2013 at 17:59.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 14:38   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,143
Thanked: 3,833 Times
Smile Handlebar Holder For My Blue Bird & Gloves For Me

Today, I received the made-in-China handlebar holder from Deal Extreme costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 6293
Size:  578 Bytes 601.49 for holding my navigator for my long distance riding. The next in the list is either 12 V charger with switch and fuse or a power bank for energising my navigator!

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09711.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09713.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09715.jpg

My friend presented me with a pair of water-proof made-in-Pakistan Teknic gloves that he brought from the USA. I already have a pair of all-weather Cramster gloves.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09702.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09703.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09704.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc09708.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 00:25   #115
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,056
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Ravi Sir congratulations on the Thunderbird acquisition, wishing you miles of safe rides. Thanks for the superb detailed updates on this thread, this is going to be another Epic thread like your Cara Mia Fiat Linea thread
The list of accessories and various gear that you've started accumulating is also enviable, hats off to your interest and passion.

Last edited by NPV : 31st May 2013 at 00:27.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 10:30   #116
BHPian
 
adrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 691
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post
They say they generally do it and open them up gradually as we clock more miles. Keep a watch on them if you feel any drop in power.

How much do the bags cost sir?
Actually it should be the other way : A new engine should be kept running slightly rich and as the miles build up, it can be set a bit lean for mileage's sake. That is why people keeps saying " the mileage of the bike will increase after each service". What the service is doing is that they tune the bike to the leaner side. From my experience, even a splendor could overtake my Bullet and it sounded like a rattle toy. After I turned the fuel screw out to the point the rpm became stable, the pickup is great and no rattle and hum from the engine. But yes, the mileage has come down a bit.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 11:12   #117
BHPian
 
thecdkfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Handlebar Holder For My Blue Bird & Gloves For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I received the made-in-China handlebar holder from Deal Extreme costing Attachment 1090130 601.49 for holding my navigator for my long distance riding. The next in the list is either 12 V charger with switch and fuse or a power bank for energising my navigator!
Ravi Sir,

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Can you post the pic of the handle bar holder on the bike? I was running the bike with my S2 firmly zipped to the tank cover :P

Are you comfortable riding with the cramster gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Actually it should be the other way : A new engine should be kept running slightly rich and as the miles build up, it can be set a bit lean for mileage's sake. That is why people keeps saying " the mileage of the bike will increase after each service". What the service is doing is that they tune the bike to the leaner side. From my experience, even a splendor could overtake my Bullet and it sounded like a rattle toy. After I turned the fuel screw out to the point the rpm became stable, the pickup is great and no rattle and hum from the engine. But yes, the mileage has come down a bit.
regards adrian
Adrian Sir,

I was running a very rich mixture. The A/F screw was set at 2 turns. This caused the engine to struggle as it was deprived of air at higher speeds. That was the reason I struggled to go beyond 80 KMPH.

Now the mixture is lean and it has been set to 6.5 turns. I touched 100 KMPH and stopped at there due to lack of roads.

I got a mileage of 36 even after riding at high speeds for considerable amount of time. Let me check again and post the mileage.
thecdkfactor is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 11:36   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,143
Thanked: 3,833 Times
Default Re: Handlebar Holder For My Blue Bird & Gloves For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post
Can you post the pic of the handle bar holder on the bike?
The handlebar holder is supposed to be fitted to the clamp of the rear-view mirror; will post pics later. This will relieve me of fixing tank bag for short city rides.
Quote:
Are you comfortable riding with the cramster gloves?
Yes, very much. But, they are not water-proof.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 31st May 2013 at 11:38.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 11:37   #119
BHPian
 
adrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 691
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: Handlebar Holder For My Blue Bird & Gloves For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post

Adrian Sir,

I was running a very rich mixture. The A/F screw was set at 2 turns. This caused the engine to struggle as it was deprived of air at higher speeds. That was the reason I struggled to go beyond 80 KMPH.

Now the mixture is lean and it has been set to 6.5 turns. I touched 100 KMPH and stopped at there due to lack of roads.

I got a mileage of 36 even after riding at high speeds for considerable amount of time. Let me check again and post the mileage.
Hi friend, the Bullet being a 4 stroker has a fuel screw in the carburetor. Turing the fuel screw clock wise leans out the mixture and turning it anti clockwise makes the mixture rich. So with 2 turns, you were running in the lean area. ( The company set standard in 3.5 +/- 1 turn, which is a balance of power+mileage+emission). Even with the company setting the engine will knock, vibrate and lack power.
Your post confirms one thing : the number of turns in 350 CC carburetor version bullets is around 5 to 7 turns and the healthy mileage is 36 to 38. My bullet now runs fine with 6 turns on the fuel screw with a mileage of 38.
One thing I have learned the hard way : Never believe an RE mechanic : "He will lie through his teeth to cover up his mistakes " !

and lastly just address me adrian
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 31st May 2013 at 11:42.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 15:33   #120
BHPian
 
SuperSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
You can include ration card in the list. Fortunately, my name is in the ration card bearing my Chennai home address. So, I produced that and it was accepted. If you don't have any of the specified documents, there is one affidavit to be prepared on stamp paper as per the format approved by RTO. But, there was no need for that in my case. Your dealer will give you the format. You have to pay Attachment 1089291500 additional fees to RTO, according to RE Brand Store, Chennai.
Thanks for explaining! I was told similar thing regarding the affidavit, but was doubtful on the license part.

Little disappointed as I was supposed to bring 'Thor' (I've named him after The God of Thunder) home today, but looks like he has some other plans. Wants to test my patience even further or wants to come home only when the Southwest Monsoons hit the coast of Kerala!
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : Brakes Failed : No Quality Control shan2129 Motorbikes 45 21st April 2016 11:24
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report rajneeesh Motorbikes 108 5th April 2016 20:26
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500: Lightning strikes ChiranJeev31 Motorbikes 15 26th May 2015 11:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks