Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 16:16   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

For many this could be an average comparision of what Bike to buy?

However, to give it a twist - it is purely for saving tax by buying a bike/Scooter on Company Lease basis.

The Contenders:
  • KTM Duke 200
  • Vespa LX 125
  • Hero Maestro
If you notice, the first 2 options are supposedly premium offerings from the respective maker. While I would like to buy the KTM, my wifey is dead against the thought (I previously had a well maintained HUNK that I sold to a neighbour as I wasnt using it). However, I need to know, how good the bike is, in case I use it occassionally for a 35 KM one way ride to work and same distance back home.

Cons: The nearest service station (Pro Biking store) is at Vashi for me.

The other 2 options listed are Vespa LX 125 and Hero Maestro.

Cons: While Vespa is new in the market, I am a little wary about it's A** and for me, the nearest service centre is about 27 Kms away in Thane.

The last option is the Hero Maestro; while it doesnt have anything interesting in terms of looks or special features; it has a service centre in my neighbourhood and I know the service personnel very well (due to my ownership of Hunk). So, I can expect impeccable service while keeping my ownership costs low.

So while my heart is set on premium machines; my mind says go for Maestro.

To add to the confusion; I have a Honda Dio as well which my wifey is using and is running trouble free. I plan to replace the Dio with either of the scooters in case I buy them.

OT: I have a Nano as well which gives me a mileage of 20 KMPL with AC at all times; so the though that comes to my mind is why buy a KTM and sweat it out in the sun when Nano is taking me to work smoothly with AC at all times. I believe the mileage difference wont be more than 10-15 kmpl.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by amtak : 29th April 2013 at 16:24.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 18:17   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,988
Thanked: 4,032 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Really mate!! You wanna throw in the KTM Duke and compare it to the Vespa and the Maestro?? It's sacrilegious, to say the least. How can anyone even begin to compare scooters to the hottest 200cc bike of the year?

Go with the KTM friend. Life's short...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 18:26   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Really mate!! You wanna throw in the KTM Duke and compare it to the Vespa and the Maestro?? It's sacrilegious, to say the least. How can anyone even begin to compare scooters to the hottest 200cc bike of the year?

Go with the KTM friend. Life's short...
i am not comparing which one is better than other;i am asking for a honest feedback if i should take the plunge or not. The reason is clear, tax savings. Also, i have clearly mentioned the reasons on why i have factored them in this dilemma.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 18:37   #4
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 605
Thanked: 546 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Amtak,

I would have understood if you were confused between a 110-125cc bike and the scooters, but the Duke and the scooters is a little off center in my opinion. When it comes to tax savings, the more expensive product saves you more tax. Period. So ultimately it boils down to how do you plan to use it.

If its for in and around the locality/market then a scooter is a better bet. Vespa is rhetro and looks different from the other offerings in the market. If you are willing to pay the extra dough for the badge, then go for it. Again that would be more tax savings than the Maestro.

But if are interested in weekend runs down the highway, a premium product to be seen on when you take it to office then Duke's the way to go. Also the Duke's service intervals are like a car. So its not that you have to go to the service center every month specially with your running.

Also is your Dio on lease ?

Last edited by Altocumulus : 29th April 2013 at 18:39.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 18:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Sell the Dio and buy the most powerful & best handling scoot out there (Suzuki) so that your wife can drive it & you can enjoy it too.

Buying a characterless vehicle like Maestro just because dealer is close by... is not what enthusiasts do.

If you are keeping the Dio, then buy a KTM or its Bajaj equivalent (which offers better VFM)

Last edited by Mpower : 29th April 2013 at 22:50.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 23:25   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Amtak,

I would have understood if you were confused between a 110-125cc bike and the scooters, but the Duke and the scooters is a little off center in my opinion. When it comes to tax savings, the more expensive product saves you more tax. Period. So ultimately it boils down to how do you plan to use it.

If its for in and around the locality/market then a scooter is a better bet. Vespa is rhetro and looks different from the other offerings in the market. If you are willing to pay the extra dough for the badge, then go for it. Again that would be more tax savings than the Maestro.

But if are interested in weekend runs down the highway, a premium product to be seen on when you take it to office then Duke's the way to go. Also the Duke's service intervals are like a car. So its not that you have to go to the service center every month specially with your running.

Also is your Dio on lease ?
I agree with you; the reason why the 2 scooters came in contention is because wifey strictly opposed to buying a bike (since we already have 3 cars in family!). I am not much of a biker and whenever I have ridden a bike for an appointment, I have usually reached there late (not because I can't ride but because I ride as if I am driving a car and instead of cutting through the traffic, I get struck between cars). however, I am still quite keen on the bike and will try and persuade her to allow me to buy a bike. this is how a scooter came in picture that we both can use (she daily and me over weekends or going to the gym at night)

No my Dio is not on lease and is free from any loan/EMI's. It's been ridden for about 7,000 KMS now in 3 years and is well looked after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sell the Dio and buy the most powerful & best handling scoot out there (Suzuki) so that your wife can drive it & you can enjoy it too.

Buying a characterless vehicle like Maestro just because dealer is close by... is not what enthusiasts do.

If you are keeping the Dio, then buy a KTM or its Bajaj equivalent (which offers better VFM)
True. Buy your point but the issue is, I work 6 days and suzuki dealer/service centre is not near by and Hero Moto corp and Honda is. After having used a dio, I am bored of a Honda as all the 3 machines are quite similar in terms of performance (19:20); hence the vespa (which again has the same issue as Suzuki)
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 09:18   #7
BHPian
 
Altocumulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BLR / KOL
Posts: 605
Thanked: 546 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I agree with you; the reason why the 2 scooters came in contention is because wifey strictly opposed to buying a bike (since we already have 3 cars in family!). I am not much of a biker and whenever I have ridden a bike for an appointment, I have usually reached there late (not because I can't ride but because I ride as if I am driving a car and instead of cutting through the traffic, I get struck between cars). however, I am still quite keen on the bike and will try and persuade her to allow me to buy a bike. this is how a scooter came in picture that we both can use (she daily and me over weekends or going to the gym at night)

No my Dio is not on lease and is free from any loan/EMI's. It's been ridden for about 7,000 KMS now in 3 years and is well looked after.
If I had been in your place I would have persuaded my wife for the Duke The reasons are simple. First, more savings on tax. Its better I spend on a premium product for myself than paying the government. Second, you already have a scooter which is run very less. Selling it off with 7k on the odo is a loss. Third, you will have the option of taking the bike out on weekends for a joy ride, maybe on the highways (not possible on a scooter). Having lived in Mumbai for 5 years in the past, I always preferred to be out on bike rides alone even if its just to Band Stand. I had 3 cars, 2 bikes and a Kinetic Nova as a bachelor there (no doubt I have zero savings ), but I still preferred my bikes. Nova was just for a ride to the tea stall or Hypercity.

Go for the Duke. Its a car on two wheels when it comes to features. Ride is very hard no doubt, but you will notice/feel the superb quality the product has to offer.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 30th April 2013 at 09:22.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 10:10   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

You've piqued my curiosity here, why are you placing so much of importance to the location of the service center?

So what if a service center is far away? It gives a reason to enjoy your ride for 25-30 km. How many times are you visit the place in a year anyway?

Do not buy a bike you do not want to save tax. After all, you might be saving tax but you're also spending your money on the vehicle. Buy a vehicle that will bring a smile to your face, not just savings on a tax bill.
Recompose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 10:39   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 222
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
So what if a service center is far away?
Speaking for myself, it makes a big difference to me. I need my bikes in top shape and I always end up going back to the service center to fix something or the other, a couple of days after the service, some niggle that they overlooked. Always happens, so having the service center close to home/office makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
It gives a reason to enjoy your ride for 25-30 km.
In 25-30km of Mumbai or Bangalore traffic?! Enjoy ride?! Maybe some people, not me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Buy a vehicle that will bring a smile to your face, not just savings on a tax bill.
100% agree!

Last edited by am1m : 30th April 2013 at 10:42. Reason: Adding more info
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 15:57   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
You've piqued my curiosity here, why are you placing so much of importance to the location of the service center?

So what if a service center is far away? It gives a reason to enjoy your ride for 25-30 km. How many times are you visit the place in a year anyway?

Do not buy a bike you do not want to save tax. After all, you might be saving tax but you're also spending your money on the vehicle. Buy a vehicle that will bring a smile to your face, not just savings on a tax bill.
Importance of service centre is realized when we are struck in a situation and not during regular service. Scooters and Bikes usually have cold start issues during monsoons or winter. If you bike/scooter doesnt start one fine morning; you would call the A** and they can send someone for your rescue; however, if it is 25 kms away; be rest assured that no one will come to pick your bike (or even car) in case of a break down and you would be required to tow it to them.

Also, all my cars/bikes/scooters have never seen a roadside mechanic unless it is an extremen situation where A** cannot reach me and vice-versa. If you ask me; HH Service is any day better than most bike makers in India and easily comparable to Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Speaking for myself, it makes a big difference to me. I need my bikes in top shape and I always end up going back to the service center to fix something or the other, a couple of days after the service, some niggle that they overlooked. Always happens, so having the service center close to home/office makes a big difference.



In 25-30km of Mumbai or Bangalore traffic?! Enjoy ride?! Maybe some people, not me!

Totally agree with you and I too do the same; I will not consider a brand no matter how reliable my machines are if the service centre is not near my house. A car/bike usually breaks down not because of its own problems but made made stuff (Garbage near parking - Rats) or things like that.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 18:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
No my Dio is not on lease and is free from any loan/EMI's. It's been ridden for about 7,000 KMS now in 3 years and is well looked after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
You've piqued my curiosity here, why are you placing so much of importance to the location of the service center?

So what if a service center is far away? It gives a reason to enjoy your ride for 25-30 km. How many times are you visit the place in a year anyway?
From your Dio's running, it seems like you need service about once year?? Secondly today's Japanese scoots rarely breakdown & need regular repairs.

Making such a statement on an auto enthusiast forum will not get you a lot of agreement! So, I suggest you go ahead and buy the Maestro : )

Last edited by Mpower : 30th April 2013 at 20:12.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 19:35   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I will not consider a brand no matter how reliable my machines are if the service centre is not near my house.
Sounds like you've made your decision then.

Sincerely hope your decision doesn't turn into a misbuy. You have 3 cars in the family and a scooter thats rarely used. Buying another bike you do not need just to save on tax is bad enough. But basing your purchase based on the location of a service center is ridiculous.

What if the Hero center closed overnight? What then? What if a new KTM showroom came up a km from your place in a month? Thats a lot of What ifs, but what if the problems you mentioned never came up (garbage-rats and cold start-winter).

But your love for your vehicles is more than evident, I give you that.
Recompose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 20:32   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 1,498 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

I will suggest Hero Maestro specifically in your case. For low use, failure probability of ANY bike is pretty low, but you may give weightage to comfort factor (nearby SC of known person).
ani_meher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 23:45   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Thank you all. It looks like a decision is kind of made; I am going to see an Alto800 for a cousin tomorrow and luckily, Bajaj showroom is just in the same building. I would try to show the KTM to wifey. Praying that she approves it so that I can go ahead with the purchase.

If not, then it'll be no new vehicle that would be bought but some more tax saver plans for my son!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 02:01   #15
BHPian
 
Joxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mechelen, BE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 329 Times
Default Re: KTM Duke 200 vs Vespa LX 125 vs Hero Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Thank you all. It looks like a decision is kind of made; I am going to see an Alto800 for a cousin tomorrow and luckily, Bajaj showroom is just in the same building. I would try to show the KTM to wifey. Praying that she approves it so that I can go ahead with the purchase.

If not, then it'll be no new vehicle that would be bought but some more tax saver plans for my son!
In my humble opinion, the second option you have mentioned would be the better of the two for the following reasons.

1. You have not one, but THREE cars
2. You already have a bike which you are not really utilizing
3. Replacing one Moto scooter with another won't bring you any joy, unless it is not in good shape and needs a replacement
4. I believe that the KTM Duke 200 is not kind of bike for your riding (read car-like) style. It is a bike that's fun to flick around!

Please don't take any offense to anything I have written, as it is purely your decision .
Joxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200 theexperthand Motorbikes 342 5th October 2017 15:08
Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125 90BHP Motorbikes 172 12th October 2016 10:40
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family! ebonho Motorbikes 931 17th November 2015 16:02
The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200) Shubz Motorbikes 76 4th April 2013 10:57
2013 KTM 200 Duke - Now with ABS on the 125 as well! MHG Motorbikes 5 14th November 2012 01:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks