Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th June 2013, 20:59   #46
BHPian

Default Re: DSK Hyosung Dealership (Ulsoor lake) - Charging 500 bucks for a test-ride

Absolutely ridiculous. Like shops forcing you to only try clothes you want to buy... Defeats the purpose of having a test ride. A refundable deposit of 1K is okay for bikes that are in >600 CC range.

I think that explains these "rare" vehicles on road. Brand building is the mantra these days. The vehicles will sell themselves if the brand is valued in the market.

When CBR250 was launched in Pune, I called all the dealers and no test drive vehicle was available for about 6-8 months. No one was ready to even let me sit on one
Even worse case for Ninja250R. KTM bikes are readily available anyways for test rides. Appreciate that
Bazinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 09:34   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: DSK Hyosung Dealership (Ulsoor lake) - Charging 500 bucks for a test-ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I feel whatever they are doing is right. this is to keep the trashy crowd out. Else if you want fun pay for it.The attitude in the dealer counter is wrong but the methodology is right
Really? Then!!! why should people protest when the initial lot of malls asked patrons to show either mobile phones, credit cards or something substantial (remember this was in 1996) to be allowed entry into the mall? This was also to prevent trashy crowds from roaming about scot free in A/C and not buying anything.
IMO the dealer is very pathetic and doesnt know how to gain business, our member is correct in refusing to consider Hyosung for a future purchase, as is it is a pathetically built low quality chinese/korean machine.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 10:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Really? Then!!! why should people protest when the initial lot of malls asked patrons to show either mobile phones, credit cards or something substantial (remember this was in 1996) to be allowed entry into the mall? This was also to prevent trashy crowds from roaming about scot free in A/C and not buying anything.
IMO the dealer is very pathetic and doesnt know how to gain business, our member is correct in refusing to consider Hyosung for a future purchase, as is it is a pathetically built low quality chinese/korean machine.
So what about pubs charging entry fee. Ofcourse we're gonna pay for their over-priced drinks, then why the entry fee? Heck, they'd block you even if you're not dressed "well enough". Like it or not, that is how it works.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 06:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
So what about pubs charging entry fee. Ofcourse we're gonna pay for their over-priced drinks, then why the entry fee? Heck, they'd block you even if you're not dressed "well enough". Like it or not, that is how it works.
A pub charging higher for a STAG entry is a different thing altogether and is irrelevant here .This analogy can be applied for a joy ride, but not a test ride.It is the right of any customer to sample what he is planning to buy, rather than relying on salesmen or reviews alone.After a week they had the balls to call me up and ask me when I would be purchasing the bike.I gave them a piece of my mind.How do they expect me to purchase even without a test ride?Absolutely ridiculous!
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 21:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki outrightly reject test drives and you are forced to buy purely out of your conviction. Infact they do not even have a display bike kept in their showrooms.
We can't generalise that for Honda (For instance: Saphire Honda, Jayanagar, Bangalore). I did TD of CBR150 and CBR250 there, and they had displayed all combinations (C-ABS/Basic, All colours) of 250 and 150 CBR's in their showroom.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 23:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
We can't generalise that for Honda (For instance: Saphire Honda, Jayanagar, Bangalore). I did TD of CBR150 and CBR250 there, and they had displayed all combinations (C-ABS/Basic, All colours) of 250 and 150 CBR's in their showroom.
At Silicon Honda, RV Road, they allowed me to TD a CBR150R though they knew I wasn't going to buy the vehicle. And City Honda allowed me to TD the CBR250R though I just went to pick up my cousin's Activa from service.

I guess they understand that we may recommend the vehicle to someone who asks us for a suggestion if we find the vehicle worthy enough.

When BMW, Audi etc don't charge you to TD their cars, I don't see any reason why Hyosung can charge folk 500 rupees for a test ride!
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 10:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
We can't generalise that for Honda (For instance: Saphire Honda, Jayanagar, Bangalore).
Mate,
I was referring to the Superbikes around the liter class and not the Ceebies 150/250. Without saying you will get a test ride for the ones mentioned.
Only HD is a professional setup where you get a test ride and a decent one at that. Nearly a couple of kms is what I believe they gave me when I was on the lookout for a SBK.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 12:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
She was explaining as to how people come and test ride the bike just for fun.I felt as if I had forced her to start the dealership in the first place.Later one of the guys in the showroom told me that he can give me a test drive after paying Rs500. I walked out of the showroom with my friend and decided that I would keep away from the brand and the showroom.It is not that Rs 500 would really matter to me but feels cheap.They have lost one prospective customer.Even if i have to pay a few lakhs more I would definitely go to a different brand.Have any of you faced a similar situation?
Unacceptable, these guys would be losing genuine customers this way. These days the trend is to send the vehicle home rather than have the customer walk in. I have TD's the likes of BMW X1, Endeavour, Rexton & XUV5OO where the car was sent to my place.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:11   #54
BHPian

Sorry for raising an old topic, but going through this thread made me think how this type and mentality of approach from dealers has not changed.

Let us be very clear on one thing. You will not get 100% of clients in a showroom who can afford the vehicle/clothes/perfume/watch/phone etc. However, when they are looking at it, it is an aspiration for them to own it. One day these people will have money. My brother's story is a perfect example of what can happen if you treat potential customers badly.
He wanted to buy a Mercedes and he actually could afford it at that point. However, his general weekend outfit is a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. Both him and his wife were young then (late 20's IIRC) and they walked into a Mercedes showroom in Johannesburg, South Africa. My sister in law and her family are die hard BMW fans and she insisted on the BMW, but my father had always spoken to us about his desire to own a Mercedes so my brother went to buy a Mercedes. The attitude at the showroom was one of, "they are a young couple, who look like tire kickers who have come to the showroom just to while away some time on a weekend and hopefully get to drive a Mercedes". They sat in the showroom for about 15 to 20 minutes unattended before someone grudgingly came to talk to them. Despite this my brother was still enthusiastic enough to ask for a test drive. However, he did not mention anything about the fact that he could afford to buy the car. After some excuses and crappy service for the next 10 15 minutes, my brother finally lost his patience and walked out of the Mercedes showroom, despite having his heart set on buying a car there. A short distance away from there was a BMW showroom. Within a minute or two of them walking in, they were treated very courteously and offered a test drive. This is despite being dressed in exactly the same way and showing the exact same attitude as they had at the Mercedes showroom approximately 5 minutes earlier. My sister in law didn't even mention that her father had a BMW and they didn't even ask anything about having the money to afford the cars they were looking at. Anyway, after the test drive and discussing price of the car etc, my brother decided to buy the BMW. I think 1 series or 3 series. Don't remember which one.
Anyway, post the formalities he spoke to the sales person and narrated his experience in the Mercedes showroom. The BMW dealer told him how BMW South Africa had a policy (at that point, don't know if it still applies) where they told all their dealers to treat everyone who walked into the showroom equally, irrespective of the fact that they may be patently unable to afford the vehicle. Their logic was that if you treat that person well today, the day he actually has the money to afford it, he will remember the way he was treated and prefer a BMW to another brand. And even more than that, he will spread good word of mouth about the brand which will bring in even more potential clients. This was in the early 2000's when word of mouth was mostly spoken, and not so much social media as it is today. This situation with social media has the potential to spread bad word of mouth in a very viral way in a very short timeframe to derail a large amount of potential sales from a dealer, or even worse a company. How many of us here on TBHP criticize VAG A.S.S and swear never to buy their vehicles until that is resolved. Not that they have bad vehicles, just that their service sucks.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:33   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Sorry for raising an old topic, but going through this thread made me think how this type and mentality of approach from dealers has not changed.
You don't have to go that far or so long back in the past. Neither do you need the 3 pointed star to have that snobbery. I had almost similar experience with of all brands Hyundai! That too just 2 years back. So I was looking to pick up my next company car. It was going to be my wife's daily driver. I was interested in the Elantra although wifey was not too keen. Nonetheless one weekend I just had some time so dragged her along with me to the nearest Hyundai showroom in the IT hub of Hyderabad.

Being a weekend I had not shaved and of course had my comfortable weekend attire on (a worn out jeans, a collarless T-Shirt and a dusty looking Weinbrenner loafers). My wife was also attired similarly. Considering that its the IT hub of Hyderabad and this is a very standard attire for IT folks I was a little amazed when I saw the primly dressed lady at the sales enquiry counter gave us a very desolate look from head to toe when we asked for the Elantra. We kept waiting for 10 minutes without any interest from anyone to address us. In this time I asked twice for someone to help us with a few details. Finally the lady realized that we are a bit adamant so she reluctantly sent a guy. Turned out that the person was the team lead or head or something of marketing (or so he said), dressed again in a prim blue shirt, neatly tucked in with a crisp tie. He came to us with an artificial smile. Asked us what are looking for and then to my astonishment suggested why don't you look at an i10 Grand or an i20 even. I had never ever felt so stupid in my life! I asked him why he is suggesting me something else when I am asking for a very specific car. He mumbled something about some challenges today with TD cars etc. (don't know what was the connection) and simply walked away. He never returned.

Needless to say, we also left the showroom with a pledge to never return to such businesses ever. Would I have eventually bought the Elantra? Don't know as wife was not very enthusiastic about that car but I certainly was very keen on it. Hyundai for sure lost an opportunity to explore a hot lead and of course a prospective customer.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd May 2016 at 17:35.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

An update on this showroom, it has shut down.
Looks like there is just one showroom left in Bangalore according to their website.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote