Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th October 2014, 18:40   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A Karizma can keep up with a TB500 all day. And is better in every way.

So can a CBR 250R. And its even more so than the Karizma (better in every way).

Both have very decent tank ranges, rider ergonomics, as well as pillion seats. The Karizma will save you almost 50K in cash. The CBR (non ABS) will cost you as much. And be significantly faster as well.
I agree, but after her experience riding pillion on the KTM my wife refuses to even consider sporty looking bikes. :-( I had to go in another direction to calm her down for the first bike and then indulge later with the second. I guess my earlier statement should read: "With my wife riding pillion there is no better bike"

There were a couple of other reasons I went with the TBTS500. I'm creating an ownership thread that elaborates on them that will come up soon, fingers crossed.
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 11:04   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
There were a couple of other reasons I went with the TBTS500. I'm creating an ownership thread that elaborates on them that will come up soon, fingers crossed.
Ok, I did not know that you had already gone for the TBTS500.

In that case, it IS the best bike for you. Enjoy! Any Bullet is a trip.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 12:42   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ok, I did not know that you had already gone for the TBTS500.

In that case, it IS the best bike for you. Enjoy! Any Bullet is a trip.
Thanks, ebonho! Having grown up around Bullets (my grandfather's and father's) I have a fair idea what to expect, but am still looking forward to going through the whole RE experience as an owner (the highs AND the lows!).

Since the Thunderbird is being made in the new factory here, I'm hoping the build quality is a little better than the bulls of old. But one way or another, I'm looking forward to it - like you said, any RE bike is a trip.
Silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 21:16   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm hoping the build quality is a little better than the bulls of old
I thought we are after old bulls because of the build quality. hehe.

Dont even worry about build quality. People may not understand but buying a bull to some is building a relation.

Its like the scene from the movie gone in 60 seconds. There are times we speak to the bull before and after the ride. Call it crazy but thats how crazy we are when it comes to bikes.

At the end of the day its just a machine for many.

But for some its just the partner you always wanted to have.

Enjoy the TB500 and make sure you justify the purchase by riding it to its max potential.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 22:47   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I thought we are after old bulls because of the build quality. hehe.

Dont even worry about build quality. People may not understand but buying a bull to some is building a relation.

Its like the scene from the movie gone in 60 seconds. There are times we speak to the bull before and after the ride. Call it crazy but thats how crazy we are when it comes to bikes.

At the end of the day its just a machine for many.

But for some its just the partner you always wanted to have.

Enjoy the TB500 and make sure you justify the purchase by riding it to its max potential.
I understand what you're saying about building a relationship with a bull. I saw my father and grandfather have theirs, and am looking forward to mine!

I've talked to all my bikes, and they've all talked back to me. That's one of the things I love about biking - the entire process feels like one long conversation with the bike, and sometimes the conversation extends even after the ride ends! I see it being no different with the TB500.

I'll certainly be putting it through its paces on the long, meandering road early and often.
Silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 20:39   #156

Default to fulfill my long cherished dream, Need Advice ...

Hello Guys!,

I am 37 and want to fulfill my long cherished dream of touring to various parts of India on a motorbike with my wife. I used to ride a HeroHonda CBZ before I got married and then moved to car (Which I bought after reading super informative detailed posts by team-bhp members).

Now Its time to buy a bike which ideally should fulfill following criteria:
1. Should be essentially a tourer as I will use it only for weekend trips say around Mumbai - Pune - Ratnagiri route.
2. Preferably 500 CC or above (if budget permits) or else minimum 250 CC
3. Reliable, should be comfortable for pillion as well.
4. Powerful as I plan to do Delhi to Leh next year and Bhutan in 2016 end or 2017.
5. Budget is 2-2.5 lakhs, If there is nothing in that then I can extend (take a loan)

I thought RE Thunderbird fits the bill but after reading all reviews here and on some other websites as well, I am really scared of REs. Are new REs also so bad and unreliable? Even the continental GT?

Personally I don't like Pulsars so please suggest something else. Team-bhp is a platform which I trust most and expect lot or views and suggestion from you guys. Thank you

MOD NOTE: Thread moved to the correct section. Please read our rules and regulation before posting

Last edited by Mpower : 21st November 2015 at 20:41.
Saminxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 20:48   #157
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: to fulfill my long cherished dream, Need Advice ...

I'm a newbie biker (only been a couple of months since I learnt how to ride) but in my short yet passionate and thus extensive experience, I found the Inazuma to be the perfect bike for long rides; easy yet commanding posture which felt even more comfortable than a T-bird, brilliant suspension which glides over our Indian road conditions, silky smooth drivetrain, comfy seat even for the pillion, planted at high speeds and long wheelbase offers immense stability and confidence around bends, tractable motor that always serves up a creamy useable dose of torque first and never seems out of breath rendering the bike very relaxed and vibration free even at high speeds and solid feel due to quality of components and assembly. I have never been a fan of bikes like RE where you have to put your feet all the way in front I feel this saps away the control that you can extract from a bike and when you have only two wheels, a riding position like that makes you a sitting duck if you encounter a high-speed "situation". You can go through 4x4addict's ownership thread on the Inazuma and if it catches your fancy, then don't waste time calling local dealerships to inquire if they still have any Inazumas in stock as they may have all sold out already

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st November 2015 at 21:01.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 21:43   #158
BHPian

There is this stereotype about REs which would hold valid 4-5 years back but not anymore. RE, as a brand has developed immensely and now caters to a lot of expectations and demands. The Continental GT is their flagship bike and their owners have some good things to say about RE, as a whole. I have my reservations about the CGT being a good tourer with pillion and luggage.

In your budget that you have specified, the Thunderbird 500 is the only feasible option. RE has some good after sales and reliability now, and I think the RE connoisseurs here would be able to shed some good light on this. The CBR 250 ABS comes into mind then, so that deserves to be checked out as well, but, it falls bang into your 'minimum 250cc' condition.

If you want a great package, you'll have to stretch your budget.
Looking at your requirements, there are some general options available for you.
If you plan to for sub 500cc, go for the Mojo, as it ticks all your boxes. It's a fine, fine motorcycle. I'm sceptical about the pillion comfort part, though.

If you're looking above 500cc, the Ninja 650 is your default option. However, if you can wait for a few months for the Versys 650, do so. There are many out here who have set their sights on the Versys 650 as it's a very promising motorcycle.

Good luck and safe riding!

Last edited by barcalad : 21st November 2015 at 21:52.
barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:16   #159
BHPian

I would suggest the CBR250R because of the following reasons :
1. Honda reliability and smoothness.
2. Great, usable power with good amount of torque.
3. Windscreen and other aerodynamics.
4. It's affordable. Save the money and spend it on your travels.
5. Soft suspension and well padded seats suitable for touring.
6. And finally, ABS. Safety is the most important especially when you are planning to take your wife on your adventures.

Also, the best thing to do will be to take the test rides of all the suitable bikes. You ride it. You decide what's the best. Good luck.
emperorofindia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:17   #160
Senior - BHPian

Saminxs

In my opinion, there is no comparison concerning reliability when comparing the new Fuel Injected UCE (Unit Construction Engine) Royal Enfields with the older Royal Enfields.

Although there have been a few niggles reported, that can be said about all motorcycles regardless of brand.

The 500cc T-Bird and 500cc Classics deserve to rate high on your list.

Both of these have a good seat for 2 to ride long distances in comfort.
For touring with your wife aboard, I would not suggest the CGT.

One may point out that the Royal Enfield G5 I have owned from new is a export model so it was somehow made better. I don't believe this to be true. The only difference between my motorcycle and the ones sold in India is mine has an O2 sensor which is only there to allow the motorcycle meet our stringent emission requirements. It does nothing for power or reliability.

Speaking of reliability, I have ridden my RE for over 4 1/2 years accumulating over 18,800 miles (30,300 km).
In all of that time the only things I have needed to replace (beyond oil and oil filters) are a few light bulbs, one fuse, the tyres, the rear chain, the battery, the spark plug and one lower rear engine mount bolt.
It has proven to be as, or more reliable than the BMW K-75 I rode for 12 years.

Speaking of taking trips, on three occasions I have ridden from my home in Phoenix to Flagstaff, taking the scenic route.
This involved riding at an average speed of 100 kmph from an elevation of 366 meters to over 2600 meters up mountain grades of over 4%. On the 4% grades at elevations around 2000 meters, the best speed it could do was around 80 kmph but that was far better than the big trucks were doing on those grades.

The trip length was about 420 km each way and the motorcycle was carrying cloths and camping equipment in addition to myself.

As for negative things you read on this, or any forum about any brand of motorcycle remember, most of the people who never have a problem, never bother to write about their lack of problems on a Forum.
Most of the people who are having trouble are the ones who write about it here.

That gives a lopsided viewpoint about the quality of whatever they are driving or riding.

Other factors to consider is the resale value of the motorcycle.
Royal Enfields tend to keep their value while some of the motorcycles depreciate rapidly after they are ridden long distances.
ArizonaJim is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:26   #161
Team-BHP Support

No matter what bike you buy, please invest in
1. Riding Gear: Includes helmet, armour, knee guards, shoes and gloves.
2. Your health: Biking long distances non stop do take a toll on your body. So exercise really helps.
3. Practice: Something a lot of people take for granted. But the more you ride, the safer you will be.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 00:50   #162
BHPian

Another reason in favor of RE is the number of accessories you get for touring purposes. For instance its easy to buy a box to be fitted on the side for storage. For other bikes its still possible but you would probably spend more time researching where to buy.
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 03:02   #163
BHPian

In spite of the positive feedback about RE from forum members, I would still not recommend you a RE as the First Bike to tour.

Reasons:
1) Ample cases of Reliability problems with my friend's RE. ( I do not own one so you can bash me on that front). But I would surely say that RE in terms of reliability has relatively improved over their past bikes. The thing which fail now are Bulbs, Wiring Harness, All cables, Battery, Oil leakage, Some problems associated with Brakes etc. But if driven sanely and carefully the new Engines do last longer compared to their previous models.
2) Heavy Bike, Engine spends a good amount of its power pulling itself.
3) Hard suspension.
4) Unbearable Vibrations
5) Lack of tubeless tyres, although we now have good quality alloys available for RE so one can convert to tubeless.

Pros:
1) Spacious bike
2) Good torque to pull with pillion and loads of luggage.
3) Good seating posture
4) Enough space for pillion on the RE Classic series. Although you might need to modify the handlebar for a more raised one thus giving you the perfect drivers position. On Thunderbird the back rest restricts the pillion from moving backward and the pillions knees are just below the drivers armpits, which was certainly not acceptable to me as pillion.
5) Thunderbird is easy on the wrists and palms but personally I do not like the seating posture in which the feet are not below your body but stretched forward.(Might be its just getting used to the posture)

Inazuma:
A excellent bike which ticks all your boxes but which is not being sold anymore so you might face problems with spares in future.

Mahindra Mojo:
1) Commuterish driver position is excellent for long touring
2) Modern engine and good power, hopefully its reliable but cannot say as its not tested. Mahindra spent 5 years testing the bike so hopefully it should be ok by now.
3) Good spacious seat for pillion
4) Rest you can read the reviews and decide on your own.

Karizma:
1) Reliable engine
2) Good seating postion for driver.
3) Good suspension
4) Relatively ok-ok comfort for pillion.

My choice in descending order considering the comfort of pillion and driver as a tourer:
1) Mahindra Mojo
2) Karizma ( At no. 2 position just because of higher reliability and smooth engine)
3) RE

( Inazuma not in the list as its not sold anymore otherwise it would have topped the list.)

Rest all bikes are either not pillion or driver friendly for long tours.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 08:54   #164
BHPian

If you have enough experience driving powerful bikes, then you can choose 500cc and above bikes. If not, my suggestion is to start small, say a cbr250, as this will help you get used to the power that these bikes generate. It would also give you the first hand experience of owning a "big" bike. You can always upgrade to 500cc + bikes at a later point. Hope this helps. And, please invest in good riding gear as that is one aspect that most miss out on while buying an expensive and powerful bike.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd November 2015 at 10:20. Reason: u>you. Please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums.
ReluctantRebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:13   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saminxs View Post
Hello Guys!,

I am 37 and want to fulfill my long cherished dream of touring to various parts of India on a motorbike with my wife.
Hi there.

Since you have waited this long to make this decision, why not wait just a little longer for RE to launch the "Himalayan" model?

From the looks and speculations so far, sounds ideal for your needs.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote