Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd November 2015, 13:35   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: to fulfill my long cherished dream, Need Advice ...

Honda CBR250 and Hero Honda Karizma will be much affordable and refined motorcycles that are reliable workhorses as well.

Have a TD of both bikes and I am sure you will love the smoothness of Honda engines.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:18   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saminxs View Post
I am 37 and want to fulfill my long cherished dream of touring to various parts of India on a motorbike with my wife.
Mate since you are going to tour on a motorcycle with your wife, pillion comfort and support is utmost importance. The Tbird500 with its stock seat and backrest will need minor modifications to make it touring/pillion friendly.
Quote:
Now Its time to buy a bike which ideally should fulfill following criteria:
1. Should be essentially a tourer as I will use it only for weekend trips say around Mumbai - Pune - Ratnagiri route.
Tbird500 is a wonderful touring machine and you wont feel the discomfort while riding for long distances. The aftermarket options for making the Tbird more touring friendly is enormous right from the windshield to luggage panniers to seats to LED lights to tyres to many more...
Quote:
2. Preferably 500 CC or above (if budget permits) or else minimum 250 CC
I would have suggested you the Tbird350 but your point no.4 does not permit as travelling two up with luggage demands Tbird500. Another option to look for is the Mahindra Mojo, but I am not sure if its pillion seat is tourer friendly at least from the pics and reviews.
Quote:
3. Reliable, should be comfortable for pillion as well.
I own a Tbird500(new age RE) and its reliable like others have mentioned. It is comfortable for the pillion if you customize the backrest and the seat which is available as a bolt on kit.
Quote:
4. Powerful as I plan to do Delhi to Leh next year and Bhutan in 2016 end or 2017.
This is the reason why I didn't suggest you the Tbird350. The Tbird500 can easily and comfortably cruise at 80-100 KMPH all day. The hauling capacity due to that outrageous 41NM of torque enables it to carry heavy loads with ease on steep inclines.
Quote:
5. Budget is 2-2.5 lakhs, If there is nothing in that then I can extend (take a loan)
The Tbird500, Mahindra Mojo and the Honda CBR250 fits perfectly into your budget. Take a test ride of each of these machines to decide. I wont be able to advice you on the Himalayan as it is yet to be launched. Happy choosing.
Quote:
I thought RE Thunderbird fits the bill but after reading all reviews here and on some other websites as well, I am really scared of REs. Are new REs also so bad and unreliable? Even the continental GT?
Mate I ride both the old and new age Tbirds. Both are reliable and I always choose the Tbird500 while I am out on the highways. From my years of owning RE's I can say that the new age UCE motors are reliable yet retain that old world charm in terms of looks. The mileage that you get from Tbird500 is also commendable, I mean one can get a tank range of at least 450-500 kms on a tankful. You can refer J.ravi sir's thread to see his travelling sojourns and how reliable the Tbird500 really is. I wont suggest the CGT as its pillion comfort is questionable.

Also as bblost suggested always practice ATGATT. I would suggest you to invest atleast 20% of your motorcycles' cost on good quality and certified riding gears which is a must while touring.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 23rd November 2015 at 14:29.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:00   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Saminxs

In my opinion, there is no comparison concerning reliability when comparing the new Fuel Injected UCE (Unit Construction Engine) Royal Enfields with the older Royal Enfields.
==============
Other factors to consider is the resale value of the motorcycle.
Royal Enfields tend to keep their value while some of the motorcycles depreciate rapidly after they are ridden long distances.
Thanks Jim for an elaborate reply. In my budget I understand that ThunderBird 500 is the only perfect fit and my wife too will be comfortable on the same. My reseravtion is mainly because of what I read on these forums about REs being unreliable but I agree with you that those who are happy do not mention and those who have an issue are proactive in posting. So RE Thunderbird is on top of my list but I have read about the attitude problem also with RE dealers/service so kind of scepticle. I also want to be open to more options even if I have extend to the budget a bit.
Thanks once again, your post makes me look at RE in positive light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
In spite of the positive feedback about RE from forum members, I would still not recommend you a RE as the First Bike to tour.
============
Rest all bikes are either not pillion or driver friendly for long tours.
Thanks Amit, I agree with the point that feet when forward perhaps feel uncomfortable or may be it needs getting used to because in other cruiser bikes like Harley's also the feet are pretty in front.
I don't like the looks of Mahindra Mojo. Karizma ZMr is not the same as old Karizma, otherwise it was a decent choice with very reliable engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate since you are going to tour on a motorcycle with your wife, pillion comfort and support is utmost importance.
=============
Also as bblost suggested always practice ATGATT. I would suggest you to invest atleast 20% of your motorcycles' cost on good quality and certified riding gears which is a must while touring.
Thanks Navin for the detailed reply. RE TB500 is up the charts now with two favourable responses.

Mod Note: Please Multi-Quote feature instead of making back to back posts

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2015 at 23:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Saminxs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:44   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought RE Thunderbird fits the bill but after reading all reviews here and on some other websites as well, I am really scared of REs. Are new REs also so bad and unreliable? Even the continental GT?]
My personal suggestion to anyone, not just you, is that you should buy a Bullet (or a Royal Enfield bike) only if you want a Bullet or a Royal Enfield bike.

If its a bike that you want, and not just a Bullet or a Royal Enfield, then you are better off buying something else.

A nice Honda CBR 250 maybe.

I stress that this is purely my personal opinion, and just one more of the many you will read here.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd November 2015 at 22:49.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 00:04   #170
BHPian

Default Re: Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?

Nothing's unreliable. All bikes have issues and niggles. It's on the rider, how he maintains his ride.

You have to treat the bike with respect, not as a tool.
As i said before, take a test ride. Ride all the bikes and then decide what you feel is the best. Don't go on what others tell you.

Everyone has their own opinion and they are right in their own way. But at the end of the day, you are putting your hard earned money down and you have decide what's more suitable for you.

Going by your words though, I'll still suggest CBR250R. Not a VFM machine but suits your needs perfectly.

Regards,
Rajat
emperorofindia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 21:49   #171

Thnak you for your suggestions guys. If I extend by budget, what are your thoughts on Kawasaki Ninja 300 and is there any other bike which should be considered? I like the looks of Hyosung Aquila as well. Is Ninja comfortable for pillion or Honda CRB 250 for that matter?
Saminxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 22:40   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Thnak you for your suggestions guys. If I extend by budget, what are your thoughts on Kawasaki Ninja 300 and is there any other bike which should be considered? I like the looks of Hyosung Aquila as well. Is Ninja comfortable for pillion or Honda CRB 250 for that matter?
Don't forget the R3. It's cheaper than N300 and offers quite a lot more. But I'm not sure about the pillion comfort
b16h22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 22:49   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is Ninja comfortable for pillion or Honda CRB 250 for that matter?
Reading your posts and all suggestions past the few pages and looking at your requirements, I still feel you go for the Thunderbird 500.

The Thunderbird 500 is best in terms of all parameters like ride quality, rider & pillion comfort, power, handling, style (though subjective), features, fuel tank capacity (you plan to do highway trips so this parameter is important).

From the pillion point of view, I am not sure if CBR250R or N300 or R3 would be good enough for longer durations.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions guys. If I extend by budget, what are your thoughts on Kawasaki Ninja 300 and is there any other bike which should be considered? I like the looks of Hyosung Aquila as well. Is Ninja comfortable for pillion or Honda CRB 250 for that matter?
Mate the motorcycles you have listed are good enough for solo touring but not so good when it comes to pillion comfort IMHO. The pillion seat on all these bikes are higher than usual which will result in immense windblast and fatigue to the pillion. Besides this I don't think their ride will be as comfortable for the pillion while doing long distances where one comes across a lot of broken roads and dirt trails. Also remember about mounting panniers or saddle bags on these bikes. There are various saddle bags available for these bikes but I think the overall storage capacity will be compromised when one compares it with the Tbird500. This point is strictly from the touring perspective where the luggage capacity and space has to be considered as there will be two of you while riding.

As I mentioned before you should take a comprehensive test ride of all these bikes you have mentioned with your wife. Ask her as well as yourself how both of you feel in terms of comfort, space, power and ease of riding these machines. Decide after considering all these parameters and choose your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Reading your posts and all suggestions past the few pages and looking at your requirements, I still feel you go for the Thunderbird 500.

The Thunderbird 500 is best in terms of all parameters like ride quality, rider & pillion comfort, power, handling, style (though subjective), features, fuel tank capacity (you plan to do highway trips so this parameter is important).

From the pillion point of view, I am not sure if CBR250R or N300 or R3 would be good enough for longer durations.
+1 to you mate. The Tbird500 has enough power to comfortably cruise at 90-100 KMPH all day. It also returns a good mileage considering it is a big single coupled with a comfortable ride over broken roads and gliding on the highways.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 17:53   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

-- Had got some free time so hopped into an RE Showroom on my way to work. Spent around an hour talking and discussing with the sales guy there regarding Thunderbird 500.

-- Got a chance to drive both the TB 350 and TB 500 back to back for over 20 kms each. I was alone on the bike so could gauge the bike better. Both the bikes had 5K on the odometer but in very shabby state.

-- There is a marked difference in power delivery, throttle response and behaviour between the 350 & 500. Since I am pretty much fixed on what I wanted, it wasn't a difficult situation or scratching head issues.

-- After the TD we sat down discussing the bikes and he as a sales guy loves the 500 but there are very less buyer for it due to the approx 40K amount over the 350cc and also the FE is lesser he says so many shy away.

-- Most selling colour is the blue shade but I am confused between Flicker and Lightning. Mostly will go ahead with Flicker as it looks good in contrast to the chrome.

Ex-showroom: ₹1,78,925
Life Tax @ 9%: ₹16,190
Insurance: ₹4,706
OTR: ₹1,99,821

-- As I have the Alto K10 on my name already the Thunderbird 500 to me will be costlier as the Tax structure would be 14% as compared to 9%. So I expect the OTR to go up by 8K making it ₹2,08,681.

-- Booking amount is 5K with delivery for wither of the colour could be between 10-15 days. I have insisted that I'll do the PDI before buying and he has accepted the same.

-- Currently, the Thunderbird 500 production is on a minimal scale and produced only on demand and when decent number of booking arrive. There is no inventory maintained by the dealer. Maximum could be 2-3 weeks old bike I'll get when I buy.

Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?-img_20151128_172601.jpg
>> Sorry for the crappy picture quality. Will get better ones soon.

PS: Are there any kind of discounts on going on the TB 500? Any of you have got any? When I insisted, he obliged to give me the crash guard, engine guard, teflon coating and something else too F.O.C. I said a No to teflon coating anyway.

-- I am trying to get discounts in tune between 20-30K and may succeed with it too.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th November 2015 at 17:55.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote