Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th June 2013, 20:02   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Bullet Thunderbird TBTS 500 versus KTM Duke 390?

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong bro, but wasn't it the LB engine that was designed in Austria (at AVL).

I have always read that the new UCE power plant and gearbox were designed in the UK (I forget the name of the firm).
Yes, yes!! LB was developed by AVL, but i am not sure about the UCE. I think the first UCE was made and used for TBTS(thunderbird twin spark), and i remember reading that TBTS 's engine was developed in collaboration with avl. Later, eicher or some uk firm could have developed them in to the 500 cc uce with efi etc. Will try and dig some info on this and share.

But my Point really was not where its developed but when its developed. Even if it was developed in India, it could have been a bit more refined and juicer. Combining engine and gear box and with all the available tech, they managed to extract around 22 bhp at the wheel from a 500cc engine. i would be happier if the cleimed 27.2 was at the wheel atleast. greed! greed!!
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 22:56   #62
BHPian

In my knowledge the chassis and engine is developed with Vepro of UK and Engines Engineering of Italy .Ys the same firm which was once owned by mahindra and mahindra and later became stand alone.I read about this from internet and more googling can reveal more details.Then about power 27 horses from 500cc is good for a ohv engine.low reving high torque engine that is what RE is all about like Harley who follows same. design principal.only difference is Harley starts at more than 800cc in twin configuration and RE is still building singles less than 600cc.if you love sedate riding go for RE else go for ktm.

Last edited by justin.das : 20th June 2013 at 23:26.
justin.das is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 10:50   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl View Post
So this fishtailing at 100+ speed, stability, braking distance etc. should not be discussed with reference to a Royal Enfield. These terms are better to be left with Japanese/European machines.
I beg to differ. Any touring bike should be able to atleast 100 comfortably and safely. Just say you plan a cross country ride, there are stretches that you can do 100+ safely, what if a bullock cart or lorry makes a sudden U turn in front of you on a highway? What if the villager decides to visit his mother in law on the other side of the NH? I don't really want to spend 2 Lakhs and tell myself, this bike should be ridden only below 60 Kmph.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 12:31   #64
BHPian

Well from my experience, the 500 UCEs can do 100 kmph for prolonged periods without any issues. I have pushed my Classic 500 up to around 130 and did not notice any fishtailing. The vibrations were strong but no fishtailing. I think a nicely tuned 500, with all nuts and bolts on tight, is pretty stable at those higher speeds, with not much exertion on the engine. The only thing to keep in mind during the longer rides is to not maintain a constant speed for too long.

Last edited by enfield_500 : 21st June 2013 at 12:32. Reason: typo
enfield_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 13:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from Enfield showroom that a Thunderbird 500 just landed with them yesterday and can be available immediately for sale without any booking.

Thinking what to do?
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 19:23   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Just got a call from Enfield showroom that a Thunderbird 500 just landed with them yesterday and can be available immediately for sale without any booking.

Thinking what to do?
Dkaile: I would certainly check it out (Why it is available, transport damage, flood damage, RC book - VIN etc) and if everything checks out, buy it. First glance, it is a bit suspicious unless the SA is very well known to you.

If you are asking TBTS vs Duke - you are on your own!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Dkaile: I would certainly check it out (Why it is available, transport damage, flood damage, RC book - VIN etc) and if everything checks out, buy it. First glance, it is a bit suspicious unless the SA is very well known to you.
Well, checked out the bike today. It's absolutely factory fresh with Mfg. date of 7th June 2013. It was booked by someone who's right now in Mumbai and can't pick up the bike immediately.

Name:  Bullet 500 Thunderbird Twinspark_4.jpg
Views: 6084
Size:  360.9 KB

Name:  Bullet 500 Thunderbird Twinspark_3.jpg
Views: 10972
Size:  347.1 KB

He offered it to me for 1.79L on-road price with the swept up off-road silencer worth Rs. 3200/- thrown in for free along with the front leg guard.

Now only thing remains whether I would like to place my trust on Enfield, once again, after having burnt my fingers with the original 500 20 years back. Hmmm...
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, checked out the bike today. It's absolutely factory fresh with Mfg. date of 7th June 2013. It was booked by someone who's right now in Mumbai and can't pick up the bike immediately.

He offered it to me for 1.79L on-road price with the swept up off-road silencer worth Rs. 3200/- thrown in for free along with the front leg guard.

Now only thing remains whether I would like to place my trust on Enfield, once again, after having burnt my fingers with the original 500 20 years back. Hmmm...
Quality is much better than what it used to be 20 years ago,but still not what you get from competition.I have had zero niggles in my 18 month of ownership,but then i agree i haven't ridden her much.Have you ridden the TB500 for a good distance?,if you like it,go for it.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:57   #69
BHPian

I have been in the same dilemma. I use my bikes strictly for longs rides. Have been an Enfield rider throughout my life. Hence I know what to expect from an RE so I really don't care about the facts such as it's reliability issues etc. The current dilemma is a different one. 44 hp. That's the distraction. There is nothing in Duke 390 I like, other than those innumerable horses that breeds in that small engine. I found that a diminutive, plasticky, boyish (am 43), stunt bike. I know those horses may not be as comfortable as RE horses on a 1000 km ride a day. But I am hopeful about it as seasoned folks like Doc (Ebonho) who rides both Duke and Enfield, swear by Duke's versatility (except for pillion comfort). I have booked a Bullet 500, forest Green. The Carburetor one, as I am skeptical about RE's technological inclinations, however noble the intentions may be. 4 months is the waiting period. Yet I have not given up on my hope on D390. Will surely test ride one on 25th and if I like then its D390. You will spot me touring on a stunt bike, then.
SanthoshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 20:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you take it, even if you sell it after few months just in case you don't like it, by then the waiting list would have reached at least 6 months for this bike, there will be ready buyers for your bike so you will not lose much in resale too, or even not lose at all. Looks good deal if you look at it this way.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 18:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Duke 390 launched today at 1.8L - link. Now that's a killer pricing...
Old 26th June 2013, 11:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
The current dilemma is a different one. 44 hp. That's the distraction. There is nothing in Duke 390 I like, other than those innumerable horses that breeds in that small engine. I found that a diminutive, plasticky, boyish (am 43), stunt bike. I know those horses may not be as comfortable as RE horses on a 1000 km ride a day. But I am hopeful about it as seasoned folks like Doc (Ebonho) who rides both Duke and Enfield, swear by Duke's versatility (except for pillion comfort).
The Duke is not a stunt bike bro. It is infinitely more comfortable than the 500 or any other Bullet on long haul rides. Because it is so effortless, balanced, quicker, faster, handles so beautifully, brakes infinitely better, has infinitely better rubber and grip levels that can be pushed much further safely, and is smooth and silent and light and nimble. All of which are major fatigue factors for the rider on tour.

Not to mention the mental peace of knowing nothing is going to happen to the motor no matter how hard and rough you push it. No overheating or power loss, regardless of the ambient temperature, time of day, or how many kilometers into the ride you are. Ditto for no clutch fade or brake fade, regardless of (ab)use.

The only thing a Bullet still has going for it over the Duke is the fact that you can carry a pillion more comfortably and tie on more luggage (than is really required ....) and a better headlight beam. Maybe better tank range marginally as well. I cannot think of anything else where the Duke does not do it better.

I just did a 400 odd kilometer monsoon ride in the ghats with a huge bunch of Bulleteers from the Inddiethumpers and 60kph this weekend (me on the Duke). I am sure most of them would now grudgingly agree to every word above.

Last edited by ebonho : 26th June 2013 at 12:16.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 19:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I just did a 400 odd kilometer monsoon ride in the ghats with a huge bunch of Bulleteers from the Inddiethumpers and 60kph this weekend (me on the Duke). I am sure most of them would now grudgingly agree to every word above.
Hello ebonho,

The above is an intresting statement and I would want more opinion on this by other riders on the forum. would you know any of the Inddiethumpers who are on this forum and can give their perspective for the above.

If this is true, would take a test drive of the Duke and confirm if for myself, currently am awaiting the delivery of my TBTS 500

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 10:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hello ebonho,

The above is an intresting statement and I would want more opinion on this by other riders on the forum. would you know any of the Inddiethumpers who are on this forum and can give their perspective for the above.

If this is true, would take a test drive of the Duke and confirm if for myself, currently am awaiting the delivery of my TBTS 500

Regards,
Jimmy
Are you an Inddiethumper Jimmy_u ?

You are of course free to corroborate this with any Inddiethumper you meet (who was on the ride as well).

In the absence of which, I could probably help you with contacts of a couple on PM if you are really genuinely interested.

This is of course after you tell me why you doubt I would make an untrue claim on a forum where it is easily verifiable? Or why I would feel the need to make one?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 12:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Are you an Inddiethumper Jimmy_u ?

You are of course free to corroborate this with any Inddiethumper you meet (who was on the ride as well).

In the absence of which, I could probably help you with contacts of a couple on PM if you are really genuinely interested.

This is of course after you tell me why you doubt I would make an untrue claim on a forum where it is easily verifiable? Or why I would feel the need to make one?

Cheers, Doc
Respected ebonho,

with all Due respect, my intention was never to Question your statements, but merely understand another persons perspective to your observation.

I have an intent of upgrading to a TBTS 500 as a Daily / Touring Ride and with the Duke's launch and pricing being close I would want to gather as much info as I can.

do not misunderstand by question.

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote