Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:49   #181
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 253
Thanked: 43 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_blr80 View Post
KTM DUKE 390 unveiled yesterday at KTM Indiranagar, Bangalore.
Was there, for those awaiting hear how it sounds, here you go!!!
I think it sounds exactly like the Duke 200, atleast on the video. How does the additional silencer sound like?

Eventhough it is a single cylinder bike, as I read it can take on 0-100kmph in just 5 secs which means it is faster than the RD350 by 2 secs. The pricing is well packaged so that no one would need to pay 2 lacs for a rusting RD without papers which would fail after every 100 kms just for the adrenaline rush. Remember, you will also get a free ABS that is a MUST to have for every two wheeler in India where the roads are often smeared with water or sand.

Let the RD350 Rest-in-peace after 25 years. Let no one any more have any performance value on RD beyond the antique value.
Tommie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:26   #182
BHPian
 
voyageur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MUM/ALP/DXB
Posts: 341
Thanked: 597 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Spend a thousand more and cushion the seat the way you want. It doesnt take much time to make these mods based on your needs. The last reason you would reject this VFM bike.
Ya, we need to get the seats done. No one would reject that for seat reason.
I was just telling they could have better seats, atleast for me
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:35   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@VW2010, @voyageur

Just sharing my experience, for whatever its worth.

After market foam never comes close to the quality and density of factory provided foam.

Padding a seat just makes it feel cushier in the short run. Over a longer distance, these same seats actually cause a lot more discomfort than the firmer seats, and lose shape and support quicker.

If anything, think in terms of installing a good quality gel pad.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:51   #184
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi guys ,took a (too) short Test ride of the KTM 390 today at Planet Bajaj , Wakdewadi showroom,Pune today .
Arrived at the showroom on my V1 R15 and felt that the KTM is completely different type of machine ... Was expecting a more louder and throatier exhaust note compared to the 200 Duke but it sounds almost the same ... it was hard to believe this bike is a proper 400cc bike because the bike feels so compact and light .... if the 390 stickers are removed it would be very difficult to differenciate it from the regular 200 duke
Having also ridden the 200 duke ... there is substantially more power on this bike . I was very soft on the throttle because the showroom guy sitting behind me would get blown away .
The booking amount and delivery time has already been discussed in the thread before so will not discuss it again ...
After the short ride the main question comes is should one buy it ... Well if one is happy with the power and 130 kmph topspeed of duke 200 he shoudn't . This bike is for people who like everything about the duke 200 and want proper 160+kmph bike should definitely spend the 45 k extra and get this machine .
Just be beware 390 wont be as forgivving as the 200 duke and will command respect from the rider .
rider_no46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:01   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 429
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

This post might be OT, but seemed to be the only one having a live discussion on the 390, wanted to ask the biking pundits something -

This might not be the oranges to apples comparison but again, this seems to be the right place for asking -

I have owned a RD 350 in the past, I wanted to know if any of the 350 owners have ridden the 390 and provide a comparison between the two (2/4 stoke is stuff that is known), I wanted to check if the 390 offers the same brute force and that kinda pull anywhere in the power band feeling, the harsh kick that 350 offers and the way you have to hold it else it runs amok.

Your inputs would be valuable, would appreciate a response.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:37   #186
BHPian
 
90BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 231
Thanked: 37 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
How confident was the guy about KTM launching the enduro? Or was it just a display piece?
Well honestly the rep sounded like he was confident that this bike was going on sale. Anyway will ask him separately.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:02   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_no46 View Post
Just be beware 390 wont be as forgivving as the 200 duke and will command respect from the rider .
Actualy, if anything, the 390 is more forgiving than the 200 is. Some of the reasons are pretty obvious.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd July 2013 at 07:10.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:29   #188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 531
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_no46 View Post
delivery time has already been discussed in the thread before so will not discuss it again ...
.

Actually KTM is claiming a maximum of 90 days for delivery, which is way too long, they will infact deliver much sooner. By now, the first lot should have been shipped out. I suspect because of the strike at their Chakan plant, the 390's in the stock yards are being kept in reserve until production starts running smoothly again.
This situation doesn't sit too well with the 200 Bangalore and 1000 odd Indian customers who have been waiting a seriously long time for the launch and have booked the bike already. Lets hope deliveries start soon!!
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:09   #189
BHPian
 
ramases6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Hello Bangaloreans and others in the know. I welcome ideas about where I could go for a weekend drive on relatively open roads as I enjoy the 390 I have ordered. Have heard of the Kolar road and the peripheral Nice road and elevated expressway as good places to get to know the machine and to gradually build my two wheeler motoring skills that I am hoping to develop after four decades. Are there Trainers who will retrain me in efficient two wheel skills locally? A few lessons over a couple of days( I have been an avid enthusiast years ago) but now seem to think I need to reduce the risks as well as the time associated with learning new skill sets.
I know of trainers outside India offering such specialized training on the heavier superbikes.I am told by a friend who attended one that there is so much to know that he could not have got there just by himself.
My aim is to understand my bike and to use it optimally for enjoyment.I do not wish to burn serious rubber every time but I do not want to ride it like I am on an outing with my family on our scooter either.
Thank you
ramases6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:19   #190
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: coorg/bombay
Posts: 294
Thanked: 104 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post

Eventhough it is a single cylinder bike, as I read it can take on 0-100kmph in just 5 secs which means it is faster than the RD350 by 2 secs. The pricing is well packaged so that no one would need to pay 2 lacs for a rusting RD without papers which would fail after every 100 kms just for the adrenaline rush. Remember, you will also get a free ABS that is a MUST to have for every two wheeler in India where the roads are often smeared with water or sand.

Let the RD350 Rest-in-peace after 25 years. Let no one any more have any performance value on RD beyond the antique value.
Lol,, you've probably not ridden a well built an set up rd, agreed most rds on the roads are just showboats with no go, and yes the duke is the closest you can come to an rd alternative, but you cant replace a good rd. Period.
howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:31   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Lol,, you've probably not ridden a well built an set up rd
But have you ridden the 390?
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:41   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: coorg/bombay
Posts: 294
Thanked: 104 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But have you ridden the 390?
Doc, there are tons of bike around that will show a rd their tail lights, its the way that a 40. Yr old design and tech still keeps up with to an extent. thats part of the rd charm, you really cant compare the two. So lets leave it at that, btw im picking up the 390 too so im not just taking up for the rd for the sake of it .
howler is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:55   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Doc, there are tons of bike around that will show a rd their tail lights, its the way that a 40. Yr old design and tech still keeps up with to an extent. thats part of the rd charm, you really cant compare the two. So lets leave it at that, btw im picking up the 390 too so im not just taking up for the rd for the sake of it .
But equally look at to where technology has evolved. From the days where it was a rule of thumb that a 4-stroke (with the same number of cylinders) would need at least twice the capacity to equal a 2-stroke, to today where you have at least two bikes I know of which can take an HT - the Ninja twin with just 250 cc and the 390 single. Both 4-strokes. One with less displacement and the other with fewer cylinders.

And here I am speaking about purely in straight line performance. With a long enough braking area. Deviate from that and the RD may as well stay at home in every other department that makes the complete bike.

No doubt an icon, and which is why I fankly feel it simply lowers its exalted pedestal perch to keep dragging it into comparisons with every new kid on the block.

You guys should do what I am planning to do with my Standard 500. Get it to pristine bone stock, and on lovely moonlit nights, take the old girl out for a spin. Then bring her back, check her oil, polish her, and put her back under the covers.

Leave the real riding for what you are now going to pick up. Good choice. Congrats!

I see a huge number of the old school gang migrating. Finally.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:04   #194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 79 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I guess, I can chip in here, I have been touring on the RD for last 13 years, clocked more than a lakh and a half of KM's, presently running on pipes and a lot of other mods, runs like a BOMB, but frankly clocking fast miles for extended periods has become a pain and the newer bikes like the 390 will make life much more simpler going forward for the serious mile munchers.
Khodays is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:10   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: coorg/bombay
Posts: 294
Thanked: 104 Times
Thumbs up re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But equally look at to where technology has evolved. From the days where it was a rule of thumb that a 4-stroke (with the same number of cylinders) would need at least twice the capacity to equal a 2-stroke, to today where you have at least two bikes I know of which can take an HT - the Ninja twin with just 250 cc and the 390 single. Both 4-strokes. One with less displacement and the other with fewer cylinders.

And here I am speaking about purely in straight line performance. With a long enough braking area. Deviate from that and the RD may as well stay at home in every other department that makes the complete bike.

No doubt an icon, and which is why I fankly feel it simply lowers its exalted pedestal perch to keep dragging it into comparisons with every new kid on the block.

You guys should do what I am planning to do with my Standard 500. Get it to pristine bone stock, and on lovely moonlit nights, take the old girl out for a spin. Then bring her back, check her oil, polish her, and put her back under the covers.

Leave the real riding for what you are now going to pick up. Good choice. Congrats!

I see a huge number of the old school gang migrating. Finally.
absolutely!! We're on the same page then, i cant whip my rd on a regular basis, thats where the 390 comes in
howler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks