Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 20:21   #2251
BHPian
 
miles_hungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 58
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
Picked this up for exactly the same reason.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/12v-Non-Intru...item35d434f499

Installation video of the installation and function of a similar kit.



Havent installed it yet. Will do so shortly. Has anyone else installed anything similar on the D200 or D390?
Thanks for the catch, but I am looking for some mechanical kind of locking system. Also these battery operated alarm systems may drain out the battery if not connected well.

Has anyone upgraded the headlights? They are very average IMO
miles_hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 21:04   #2252
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,285
Thanked: 1,660 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
That is an issue because the brakes on the bike are not confidence inspiring, bigger master cylinder was needed on 390. Floating brake setup would have been any day better.
Question was not on the braking prowess of the 390, but why a larger diameter disc would necessitate a 'larger' master cylinder.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 00:33   #2253
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 35
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Question was not on the braking prowess of the 390, but why a larger diameter disc would necessitate a 'larger' master cylinder.

Regards
Sutripta
The master cylinder used on 390 is same as that on 200 as per the mechanic at service center.

By larger master cylinder I meant using master cylinder with larger bore size. Increase in bore size of master cylinder will increase your brake lever effort and decrease lever travel and increase the volume of fluid travelling through the brake line which should in turn improve the overall braking and feel.

Thanks,
Surbhit
surbhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 12:04   #2254
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
The master cylinder used on 390 is same as that on 200 as per the mechanic at service center.

By larger master cylinder I meant using master cylinder with larger bore size. Increase in bore size of master cylinder will increase your brake lever effort and decrease lever travel and increase the volume of fluid travelling through the brake line which should in turn improve the overall braking and feel.

Thanks,
Surbhit
I could be wrong (so don't jump on me with a cryptic one liner Sutripta!) but think its just the opposite bro.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 21:18   #2255
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,285
Thanked: 1,660 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
The master cylinder used on 390 is same as that on 200 as per the mechanic at service center.

By larger master cylinder I meant using master cylinder with larger bore size. Increase in bore size of master cylinder will increase your brake lever effort and decrease lever travel and increase the volume of fluid travelling through the brake line which should in turn improve the overall braking and feel.

Thanks,
Surbhit
Once again, the original question was about the relationship (if any) between the diameter of the disk and the size of the master cylinder. Still in the dark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I could be wrong (so don't jump on me with a cryptic one liner Sutripta!) but think its just the opposite bro.
Actually any extreme would result in a improperly working system. And it is the ratios which matter most.
Too large, and you wont generate sufficient pressure.
Too small, and you'll run out of travel. Esp if there is 'compliance' in the system.

You are right. Given the way humans perceive effort and linearity, within the window of permissible (engineeringwise) sizes, the smaller bore MC will have better feel.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 23:08   #2256
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 35
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Once again, the original question was about the relationship (if any) between the diameter of the disk and the size of the master cylinder. Still in the dark!


Actually any extreme would result in a improperly working system. And it is the ratios which matter most.
Too large, and you wont generate sufficient pressure.
Too small, and you'll run out of travel. Esp if there is 'compliance' in the system.

You are right. Given the way humans perceive effort and linearity, within the window of permissible (engineeringwise) sizes, the smaller bore MC will have better feel.

Regards
Sutripta
There is a relation , refer this page :- http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Brakes/ you can either read the full page or find "Select required MC size" in the page.

You and ebonho were correct about the master cylinder bore diameter part though.

Thanks,
Surbhit
surbhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 14:22   #2257
BHPian
 
The Pain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Chain Lube Review

Went to get the chain lubed at the Mumbai - Goregaon KTM service station at around 600KMs and was extremely dissapointed with how things are done.

The mech puts the bike up on a paddock stand puts it into 1st lets the wheel spin, takes a can of Motul chain clean and sprays the back of the rear chain sprocket. Without even pausing for a second, picks up the can of Motul chain lube and sprays it on the same location coating the chain with a mixture of cleaner and Lube. In the process getting the gunk all over my rear rim, chain guard etc.

I told him that he needed to wipe the chain down after using the Chain Clean, wait for a couple of minutes and then use the lube. However, he seemed to think what he did was the right way to do things and proceeded to show me that the chain was clean.


Purchased Motul Chain Clean and Road Lube this morning from my local spares shop (1010/- for both) and did the whole thing again. Correctly this time.

Do not have a paddock stand so got my building security guard to sit on the bike and move it to and fro as required to clean and lube the chain. Its extremely simple and i think its something that should be done properly at regular intervals as prescribed.

I think Bajaj needs to wake up and do something about the level of worksmanship and knowledge at their service centers or the KTM brand name will go to the dogs in no time flat. Have visited 3 service centers in Mumbai till now and found this:

Lower Parel : Seems good but extremely busy
Goregaon : Please read experience above
Ghatkoper : Seems good and the mechs there are very knowledgeable.

Anyone with any experience with the Service Center in New Bombay - Seawoods. Want to get my 1st service done someplace good. Thanks.
The Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 19:45   #2258
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,285
Thanked: 1,660 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
There is a relation , refer this page :- http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Brakes/ you can either read the full page or find "Select required MC size" in the page.
All brakes should ultimately be capable of locking the wheel. The force required for that is determined by the characteristics of the bike (esp. wt. transfer), and most importantly, the tyres. From there you back calculate the caliper/ pad combination. It is the caliper which determines MC size. Rotor size really does not come into it.

If the D200 and D390 have the same calipers, they will also have the same MC.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 21:25   #2259
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
All brakes should ultimately be capable of locking the wheel. The force required for that is determined by the characteristics of the bike (esp. wt. transfer), and most importantly, the tyres. From there you back calculate the caliper/ pad combination. It is the caliper which determines MC size. Rotor size really does not come into it.

If the D200 and D390 have the same calipers, they will also have the same MC.

Regards
Sutripta
+1 on the master cylinder and caliper proportions. I think it would be useful to add that for the given MC/caliper/pad combo, braking ability is directly proportional to the brake rotor diameter. This relates to the amount of braking force that must be applied to the disc to stop the wheel. So bigger rotor = better brakes. As always, there are trade-offs that need to be dealt with.

I'm usually just a lurker on this thread, reading about the owners' experiences and I'm glad to see the occasional serious technical issue being addressed competently by TBHP members who have a genuine technical understanding of the issue. Elsewhere, it's the blind leading the blind...

I've been contemplating buying the Duke 390 myself but my past poor experience with Bajaj and the Pulsar and the sense of déjà-vu that I get from reading the messages here have kept me from actually buying one. One thing that really bothers me is the quality of ASS for a 2+ lakh bike is about the same as for a Pulsar that cost 3 times less. The fancy workshop seems to be about appearances. The skills and training of the Pro-biking mechanics seem to be no better than ordinary mechanics. I'm basing this statement on the feedback from various people here. The sense I get consistently is that most KTM mechanics do not have the skills or the training to solve problems beyond what is in their syllabus and the management (Dealer and Bajaj) turns a blind eye to shortcuts. E.g. Changing the master cylinder to an Endurance model instead of finding out why the ByBre one isn't working or the chain cleaning method a few messages previous.

Let me be clear: this is not a rant about the bike. The bike is a fantastic performer and a good deal too. Bajaj deserve credit for bringing such a bike to India. What I am expressing my skepticism is about Bajaj's ability and willingness to support customers at a level that meets expectations associated with such a premium bike. I know the competition isn't any better but that's a different thread entirely.

Thanks!
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 10:23   #2260
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
What I am expressing my skepticism is about Bajaj's ability and willingness to support customers at a level that meets expectations associated with such a premium bike
To their credit i know some mechanics here in chennai have been trained at their plant and have a very good knowledge of the bike.

In face the guy here in selayur has good knowledge to help customer fix issues rather than be a mechanic trying to open and close parts.

The training has been given to quite a few where the initial lot landed and i am hoping the training is being continued for others.

The guys are professionals who graduated from pulsar to 200 and selected few to 390's.

This is what i heard from them. And bangalore is one of the hubs where training did take place. YOu will find these trained folks actually heading the service rather than actually servicing. You may want to find out who their head of service for 390 is and discuss your issue rather than taking it up with the guy performing the job for he is given instructions which he is supposed to follow.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 21:15   #2261
BHPian
 
MavericK46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
.............
Let me be clear: this is not a rant about the bike. The bike is a fantastic performer and a good deal too. Bajaj deserve credit for bringing such a bike to India. What I am expressing my skepticism is about Bajaj's ability and willingness to support customers at a level that meets expectations associated with such a premium bike. I know the competition isn't any better but that's a different thread entirely.

Thanks!
Roger that !
That said though, the Kasturba road service is highly recommended for any and all 'niggles' that the D390 offers in spades.

All vibes, squeaks etc were superbly dealt with by the service manager Ravi, whom Added_Flavor (Suhas) had recommended that I contact.

I have no idea how good/bad ANY of the service centers are gonna be when there is a shit-hath-hitteth-the-fan issue. But, this is the most bang for buck one can get on two wheels at the moment, and I intend to leave the hypotheticals be hypotheticals !

Regards,

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 13:44   #2262
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Roger that !
That said though, the Kasturba road service is highly recommended for any and all 'niggles' that the D390 offers in spades.

All vibes, squeaks etc were superbly dealt with by the service manager Ravi, whom Added_Flavor (Suhas) had recommended that I contact.

....

Sundar
When I used to visit Khivraj Kasturba road years ago, I had kept in touch with the service adviser and dealt with him directly. He was a friendly chap and was competent at his job. My experience was good so long as he was there. After he quit, my experience deteriorated. The new service adviser was not good to deal with and work was not meeting my expectations. After 2 below average services, I stopped going there. I found a decent mechanic much closer to my house.

Service advisers are generally mechanics with decent communication skills and lots of experience. The hierarchy in most places is that the a group of mechanics report to the SA, who inturn reports to a white collar manager. If the SA quits there are generally no competent replacements within the group. This is when we customers start noticing problems with workmanship.
Motard_Blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:23   #2263
BHPian
 
Bluu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Thanks for the catch, but I am looking for some mechanical kind of locking system. Also these battery operated alarm systems may drain out the battery if not connected well.

Has anyone upgraded the headlights? They are very average IMO
KTM sell an OEM alarm system which you may want to take a look at. Be prepared to sell a kidney though.

The stock headlamps are indeed very poor. Am waiting for sandeepmohan to be available so we can DIY install better bulbs. I don't like the horn either but I don't use it much at all so I can live with it.

EDIT: Ravi at Kasturba Road Khivraj indeed is a good guy to speak to.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 17:58   #2264
BHPian
 
sridhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 624
Thanked: 695 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
The stock headlamps are indeed very poor. Am waiting for sandeepmohan to be available so we can DIY install better bulbs.
Why - if it is just installing stuff like Phillips Extreme vision - it is fairly straight forward. There are plenty of tutorials in our own T-bHP
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 17:58   #2265
Team-BHP Support
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,904
Thanked: 1,297 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
The mech puts the bike up on a paddock stand puts it into 1st lets the wheel spin, takes a can of Motul chain clean and sprays the back of the rear chain sprocket. Without even pausing for a second, picks up the can of Motul chain lube and sprays it on the same location coating the chain with a mixture of cleaner and Lube. In the process getting the gunk all over my rear rim, chain guard etc.

.......

Ghatkoper : Seems good and the mechs there are very knowledgeable.
Mechs are good but the chain lube was done in the exact same utter rubbish way as described by you. Have to go there for second service within a matter of days.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks