Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 14:29   #2941
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Good to know that you have got a solution. Keep us posted.
My two Cents. Can you coax and convince him to drain the oil and replace? We can be sure that no damage was done. Tell him "Chettan vichaarichaal nadakkum" . Translates to "you can get it done if you try"
One thing that came to my notice is that the owner's manual recommends Synth oil of rating 10W-50 and my service bill indicates Motul 7100 20W-50. I doubt whether 10W-50 motul is available here and most of us will have 20W-50 filled in by service centers. Can you double check and let me know about this?
By the time I saw your post I had already left the service outlet. They showed me the Oil was slightly above the low level. So asked him to top it up, so that I can be sure there is no oil leak, in course of time. Anyways I will check the oil rating next time I visit, for the first service.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 22:35   #2942
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: bareilly
Posts: 387
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

And here it is

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-wp_20141013_18_43_01_pro.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-wp_20141015_18_51_05_pro.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-wp_20141015_20_17_55_pro.jpg

Sep '14 manufacture date. I noticed a popping sound (bhaaat bhaaat bhaaaat type sound - last a second or two at max) during hard de-accelerating (by hard, I mean harder than normal but nothing extreme either) which was noticeable over traffic sound through helmet. Is that normal? Noticed the same sound once during accelerating, throttle application being fast that time.

Is the bike significantly more jerky/snatchy in the first gear as compared to even 2nd? First is insufferable past 25kmph speed, the RPM is certainly higher than 4k at that speed yet there is significant snatching present.

The average number of bars one normally sees in the temperature gauge? I got 9 bars after a 10km ride at average 20kmph speed, the ambient heat from the engine was certainly warm but nothing severe. Outside temp should be around 27/28C tonight.

ps. Today I found out a black dog is invisible to headlamp, he had good reflex though.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th October 2014 at 00:38. Reason: Post edited for readability (grammar & spell-check).
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 23:40   #2943
BHPian
 
ashwin1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 99
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
And here it is
I think I hear it too. I think it is from the air filter somehow (I could be catastrophically wrong though ). I don't think you should be worried though, it is a common occurrence.

Also, as long as the temp meter doesn't cross the MAX line it is all good. It usually stays near the top no matter how you ride.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 00:31   #2944
BHPian
 
RiderZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 121
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
And here it is
Don't worry about the sounds, Dukes are weird little machines and can provide a wide variety of aural outputs over time. In the 22000 kms that I've ridden one, I've heard at least 10 different kinds.

Yes, 1st gear is only meant for starting from a dead stop, anything above 10kmph is easier with the 2nd gear and some clutch input.

Yes, the number of bars present on the screen might scare you, but unless they cross over into the "high coolant temperature" range, don't worry. Just like the fuel economy indicator, other guages on the Duke aren't really 100% spot on.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 00:36   #2945
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 341
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Guys what is the life of the chain? I have been getting this rubbing sound since some time and so went to A.S.S and asked him to check it out and also tighten the chain slackness. What I was told was that chain slackness happens only in the initial periods. after a while chain does not slacken as much as it happens initially and that my chain is finishing it's serviceable life. Anyways I got the usual chain tightening / cleaning / lubing done but still I hear that sort of chain sound ( rubbing / chaffing / touching some thing rhythmically) and it is annoying and also a bit of concern.
So what is the life of the chain? when am I suppose to replace it. Mechanic says next service better to change it. Cost. Rs. 2600/- or somewhere in that range.
And then my front brakes screeech everytime I apply the brake and I use the front brakes only all the time below 60-70 Kmph speeds without bothering with the rear brakes. The front brakes also seem a little mushy / soft and appears to have lost it's bite and takes a longer distance to come to a stand still. ( the earlier Khat Khat of ABS kicking in upon hard braking is conspicuously absent now a days with front brake, but hard braking the rear brake kicks in the ABS as normally it used to do earlier)
and then engine stalling at a circle. Was negotiating a circle at a very slow speed and shifted gear with a bit of blip and the engine just died bang. a very embarrassing situation with all horn blaring from behind and amused people around. Got down pushed to the side and after a minute cranked the bike and it started like dream. A matter of concern is that this engine stalling is happening at critical junctures. earlier it was medium speed and now it is slow speed in second -third gear. But guess got to live with it. as they say Shaadi tho kiya hai Nibhaana tho padega
Ashok

Last edited by ashkamath : 16th October 2014 at 00:47.
ashkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 01:24   #2946
BHPian
 
RiderZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 121
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys what is the life of the chain? I have been getting this rubbing sound since some time and so went to A.S.S and asked him to check it out and also tighten the chain slackness. What I was told was that chain slackness happens only in the initial periods. after a while chain does not slacken as much as it happens initially and that my chain is finishing it's serviceable life. Anyways I got the usual chain tightening / cleaning / lubing done but still I hear that sort of chain sound ( rubbing / chaffing / touching some thing rhythmically) and it is annoying and also a bit of concern.
So what is the life of the chain?
My chain worked for 16000+ kms, although I really pushed it to the limit the last 2000.

Front brake screeching/soft feel seems to be there in most Dukes, even heard it in a brand new one. I tried changing the brake pads, but that didn't help. Will get brake oil changed next week, hopefully that'll fix this problem.

Engine stalling is a major problem with old 390s, I have changed my riding style, and now blip the throttle before downshifts. No other option, as lugging the engine is a rather bad thing to do.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th October 2014 at 05:02. Reason: Trimmed long quoted post.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 13:35   #2947
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post

Engine stalling is a major problem with old 390s, I have changed my riding style, and now blip the throttle before downshifts. No other option, as lugging the engine is a rather bad thing to do.
I had recently bought 390, just 3 weeks old. Have not done the first service yet. My bike stalls only before warming up and after cold starting. Once the engine heat builds up it never stalls. Inorder to save my self from embarrassment, in red lights, I blip the throttle continuosly, when coming to a stop, untill the engine is warmed up.

When I reported this unique problem to the service center, the SA pointed the problem towards the decompression valve, which is absent in 200. He also mentioned that none of the 2014 models have reported stalling problems.

This means that, whatever the problem was with 2013 models, it must have been rectified. Normally a recall is warranted in such issues.

My point is, can't Team Bhp, with it's might of so many followers, put up the issue with Bajaj. I have seen that auto mags like Autocar, interfere in such matters and put up a firm stand on behalf of it's subscribers. And according to them, the companies provide special service and treatment to the disgruntled owners.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 14:39   #2948
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Anyways I got the usual chain tightening / cleaning / lubing done but still I hear that sort of chain sound ( rubbing / chaffing / touching some thing rhythmically) and it is annoying and also a bit of concern.
Ashok, a rhythmic sound means either your sprocket is warped/out and/or there is uneven lengthening of segments of your chain (some links more than others). In such a case it becomes impossible to adjust the slack of your chain properly. Do it perfect for one segment may make it too loose or too tight for another. Which is exactly what is happening in your case. The only solution is to adjust it such that it does not become too tight in those tight segments with you sitting on the bike (this is important).

So first figure out which is the tightest segment of the chain, and then adjust it to proper slack with you sitting on the bike. Automatically the other not-so-tight segment will now be looser than what it should be (and slap around like a loose chain). You will have to live with that. Plus the sound of chain slap is less irritating than the sound (and grating feel) of a tight chain rub. And also less destructive to both the roller/pins as well as the sprocket teeth and the wheel bearings and bushes.

Hope this helps.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 15:08   #2949
BHPian
 
RiderZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 121
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I had recently bought 390, just 3 weeks old. Have not done the first service yet. My bike stalls only before warming up and after cold starting. Once the engine heat builds up it never stalls. Inorder to save my self from embarrassment, in red lights, I blip the throttle continuosly, when coming to a stop, untill the engine is warmed up.

When I reported this unique problem to the service center, the SA pointed the problem towards the decompression valve, which is absent in 200. He also mentioned that none of the 2014 models have reported stalling problems.

This means that, whatever the problem was with 2013 models, it must have been rectified. Normally a recall is warranted in such issues.

My point is, can't Team Bhp, with it's might of so many followers, put up the issue with Bajaj. I have seen that auto mags like Autocar, interfere in such matters and put up a firm stand on behalf of it's subscribers. And according to them, the companies provide special service and treatment to the disgruntled owners.
Many such attempts have been made, but Bajaj/KTM continue to outright deny the existence of this problem. Take for example the issue with bad quality alloy wheels, Bajaj's own CEO was asked this question during the launch of RC bikes, and he outright denied he had knowledge of any such problem. The least I expected was a recall, but nothing happened. I guess the Indian rules and regulations are also to blame here, everything is very lax and laid back.

Long story short, gotta live with the engine stalling problem. Many different people have suggested many different ways to fix it, but none of them work for everyone.
RiderZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 17:30   #2950
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Many such attempts have been made, but Bajaj/KTM continue to outright deny the existence of this problem. Take for example the issue with bad quality alloy wheels, Bajaj's own CEO was asked this question during the launch of RC bikes, and he outright denied he had knowledge of any such problem. The least I expected was a recall, but nothing happened. I guess the Indian rules and regulations are also to blame here, everything is very lax and laid back.

Long story short, gotta live with the engine stalling problem. Many different people have suggested many different ways to fix it, but none of them work for everyone.
That's very sad. Anyways I am quite happy with the bike, otherwise. But this is what I am going to do.

1. I am going to step on the Ktm service guy untill they fix the initial stalling problem.

2. I am going to keep a detailed log on their process of customer care and how they go along with the process.

3. Meanwhile, I will subscribe to Autocar Mag.

4. If the problem is not solved, I will write to Bajaj boffins, Ktm Austria ( got to find a way ) and Autocar India, atleast they should bring some publicity to the issue. Then I will see what can be done further.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 19:52   #2951
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Unfortunately Bajaj is not responding. The stalling is definitely an issue if you follow even forums across the world. Some have change throttle body and some have replaced the ECU for the issue to only port back

The solution widely suggested is to warm it up before starting. Cleaning the fuel lines has worked for some.

Be patient with the mechanic and befriend to do your checklist of changes. This can be from throttle body, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and even swapping ecu from another bike.

With a proper mechanic and a good relationship, you can do these testing and see if any can fix your issue.

Worst part is the time taken to build this relationship.

Best part is the parts are actually cheap for your testing purpose in case they wont replace cost.

Start from fuel filter and see if that helps.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 21:34   #2952
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unfortunately Bajaj is not responding. The stalling is definitely an issue if you follow even forums across the world. Some have change throttle body and some have replaced the ECU for the issue to only port back

The solution widely suggested is to warm it up before starting. Cleaning the fuel lines has worked for some.

Be patient with the mechanic and befriend to do your checklist of changes. This can be from throttle body, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and even swapping ecu from another bike.

With a proper mechanic and a good relationship, you can do these testing and see if any can fix your issue.

Worst part is the time taken to build this relationship.

Best part is the parts are actually cheap for your testing purpose in case they wont replace cost.

Start from fuel filter and see if that helps.
Ktm Kochi service guys have always been quite friendly. Though, I intend to make some noise, just for my peace of mind, I am never going to ruin the relationship with mechanics.

Thanks for the checklist. Will definitely cajole the mechanics to test these parts. In my case the problem crops up only during pre warm up.

I think these niggles are the reason, why Bajaj is peddaling back the launch of pulsar 375. Since the compression ratio of pulsar 375 should be same as the duke, the warming up problem must have definitely needed to be addressed. But I think, triple spark tech should increase the arc reach across the cylinders, which might help.

I will be mightily disappointed if Bajaj 375 fares better than Duke.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 14:38   #2953
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: bareilly
Posts: 387
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Guys , bike is 80km old now and I am getting a whistling sound from the disc brakes (i am certain they are from the brakes ) , a friend and the SVC chap say it is because the new pad is bedding in right now , they are probably correct but still wanted to check this is nothing to be alarmed about . Front brake after a 10km run with slight use was very warm but nothing severe to indicate proper rubbing . Rear which I didn't use was just slightly warm .


Is it normal for the MIL(engine warning lamp) , ABS and the Hazard sign to glow after switching on the bike (but not cranked) ?
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:53   #2954
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Guys , bike is 80km old now and I am getting a whistling sound from the disc brakes (i am certain they are from the brakes ) , a friend and the SVC chap say it is because the new pad is bedding in right now , they are probably correct but still wanted to check this is nothing to be alarmed about . Front brake after a 10km run with slight use was very warm but nothing severe to indicate proper rubbing . Rear which I didn't use was just slightly warm .


Is it normal for the MIL(engine warning lamp) , ABS and the Hazard sign to glow after switching on the bike (but not cranked) ?
Is the whistling noise coming, even without applying brakes? If not, then if the bike is used after keeping idle for somedays, this might occur. But the noise must go after a few kms of run.
And I don't think the rear brake should be warm at all, if not used at all.

Yes, it is normal for all these lamps to glow, when ignition is on. But they will go away after the engine starts. ABS goes off when the bike crosses 5 kmph.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:55   #2955
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Sorry for the error in the earlier post. ABS lamp goes off once the bike crosses 5 kmoh
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks