Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 20:00   #3391
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 297
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Credit to your SVC , they are quite willing to change things to rectify the issue . Of course this is how it should be but one often gets to read here how they are being harassed by SVC (I mean in general , not KTM ).

Do you hear a ticking sound from the left hand side of engine ? should be in sync with the racket the engine makes . A slight ticking will be present but is it too loud ? (you will have to use your judgement here as to what is "too loud" . Normal is if you are present in quiet surrounding , you can hear the tick tick from saddle but it doesn't sounds 'unhealthy' ).
There was some pulling strings behind the scene. I contacted my friend in RandD, who contacted a sr manager in service, who inturn contacted the local service engineer, who inturn...

Yah, I do hear the ticking noise, it doesnt seem right to me also. But I am willing to ignore everything if the stalling problem is sorted out.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 21:30   #3392
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: bareilly
Posts: 387
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
There was some pulling strings behind the scene. I contacted my friend in RandD, who contacted a sr manager in service, who inturn contacted the local service engineer, who inturn...

Yah, I do hear the ticking noise, it doesnt seem right to me also. But I am willing to ignore everything if the stalling problem is sorted out.
That explains it then

Don't be alarmed by slight tick tick noise , it is normal and due to valve clearance being kept slightly slack(not likely the best word to describe but hope you get the idea ) than theoretically necessary . Reason I asked is because if the noise was significant as in one can easily tell it is not healthy , then the engine head/valves might have been the area needing an examination behind cold stalls(well my stone age enfield behaves differently in different tappet adjustments when cold ) but the SVC has likely though of that and ticked it off . One thing that is weird is abroad , the KTM as per manual undergoes a clearance check and adjustment during first service(And then 10k interval) but that is not the practice followed here.

Last edited by basuroy : 13th November 2014 at 21:31.
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 22:01   #3393
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 297
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
One thing that is weird is abroad , the KTM as per manual undergoes a clearance check and adjustment during first service(And then 10k interval) but that is not the practice followed here.
Actually Inhad reported the noise in the first service itself.

The service guy told me that there isnt a shim available in the market, of the right size, that will reduce the clearance, and some noise is part of 390 character
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 22:18   #3394
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 257
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
The service guy told me that there isnt a shim available in the market, of the right size, that will reduce the clearance, and some noise is part of 390 character
If I'm not mistaken, the valve will seat itself properly after the engine runs a couple of 1000 kms--assuming that there are no other issues.
anilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 11:02   #3395
BHPian
 
palitrana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hey guys, recently did my first big ride (may not be big by everybody's standards). 600 kms in a day, with a mix of highways, awsome smooth corners and some terrible and bad roads. While the experience part will not be anything new for this thread, there is an unique problem that I would like your views on.
After the first day over the above terrain, I could hear a rhythmic sound coming from the front end. The sound is like something scraping/rubbing along the rotating tyre/front section. Easy to hear if you pay attention on slow or crawling speeds. I am sure this would be there even at high speeds, only not audible. I did check out the brake and disc part but nothing seemed abnormal. And this is specifically from the front tyre section.
Any pointers?
palitrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 11:18   #3396
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
After the first day over the above terrain, I could hear a rhythmic sound coming from the front end. The sound is like something scraping/rubbing along the rotating tyre/front section. Easy to hear if you pay attention on slow or crawling speeds. I am sure this would be there even at high speeds, only not audible. I did check out the brake and disc part but nothing seemed abnormal. And this is specifically from the front tyre section.
Any pointers?
Best method to troubleshoot will be to lift up the front tyre off the ground with the help of another person and rotate the front tyre fast to look for any sound or restriction on free rotation. If there are no sounds and front tyre is rotating freely, most likely the sound might be coming from the drive chain/front sprocket.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 12:33   #3397
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 584
Thanked: 688 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
Hey guys, recently did my first big ride (may not be big by everybody's standards). 600 kms in a day, with a mix of highways, awsome smooth corners and some terrible and bad roads. While the experience part will not be anything new for this thread, there is an unique problem that I would like your views on.
After the first day over the above terrain, I could hear a rhythmic sound coming from the front end. The sound is like something scraping/rubbing along the rotating tyre/front section. Easy to hear if you pay attention on slow or crawling speeds. I am sure this would be there even at high speeds, only not audible. I did check out the brake and disc part but nothing seemed abnormal. And this is specifically from the front tyre section.
Any pointers?
I had the same issue. The sound is like a worn out bearing. But it's because of some dirt stuck in the disc brake assembly. A.S.S will pour in a disc brake cleaning fluid that should resolve this issue - but you will have to keep getting it cleaned once in a while.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 17:38   #3398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks guys. My question is, is it removable in a modular manner? How do you retack the parts proximal and distal to it to maintain continuity of the exhaust once you remove it? How do you remove it? Is there welding/cutting involved or simply unbolting? A reversible mod like this and a K&N would be on my list once I use the bike stock for some time and enjoy it as it is.
Yes doc, there is a bit of cutting and welding, would need a bit of expert hands.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 17:39   #3399
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hey,

I am glad to hear that the RD350 still Rocks

Trouble with the modern machines is that whilst they are really reliable and user friendly whilst in "stock" they become troublesome, the minute you do something to change that situation - not like the old ones, which were like pliable putty in the hands of a mster tuner - that is my view


Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
Oh yeah, yet to be beaten, fastest time by a Indian bike till date, 12.1secs.
Khodays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 10:04   #3400
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 297
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Last Update On The Stalling Issue

I got my bike this morning. The temp gauge was way down. On my way to office it stalled under usual conditions. The KTM SE had asked me to call him if the issue persists.

I am not going to persue the problem anymore. I have to learn to modulate the throttle in the first few minutes of warming up.

May be it is some small defect which cannot be detected easily. Any ways the bike is a hoot to ride after the warm up.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 10:07   #3401
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,771
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

KTM is launching the RC390 and the KTM Duke in the US.

Link: http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ktm...9026748/+damon

Can anyone say if anything is different than the model which is in india?

Quote:
Both bikes are powered by a water-cooled 373cc DOHC single mounted inside a tubular steel trellis frame,
Is these bikes the same?

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 12:26   #3402
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: bareilly
Posts: 387
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
After the first day over the above terrain, I could hear a rhythmic sound coming from the front end. The sound is like something scraping/rubbing along the rotating tyre/front section. Easy to hear if you pay attention on slow or crawling speeds.
I myself hear a sound from the front end which is very audible at lower speeds and quite surrounding and can be described in the manner you did( it is a crunchy sound , very annoying) . What is weird is the sound is not consistent , sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not . I have not the slightest clue about the origin point .


Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Is these bikes the same?

Maddy
Yes both bikes are same , difference being -
1. body structure , one is naked and the other is faired . Headlamps are different .
2. The RC has a slightly steeper rake angle which makes it more nimble , frame is otherwise same .
3. engine is same across both bike , RC gear ratios are different if I am not wrong .
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 13:11   #3403
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
Yes doc, there is a bit of cutting and welding, would need a bit of expert hands.
Lepp, I was wondering about your mileage thing. Your bike is obviously not stock anymore right. I mean, you've modded everything that is directly and very largely linked to mileage (and performance). The ECU. The exhaust. The intake (air filter). Considering that, I think 170 is actually nothing that should surprise you, because the "nice bump" must be very nice indeed! Your friends who get similar numbers, I'm guessing they have the same mods (minus the windscreen) ? I know for a fact that when I put on a windscreen on my 200, both the top speed as well as the mileage dropped. I effect, while it did give some wind protection, it also acted like a wind sail in front of the bike. Maybe that's another thing you could look at.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 14:46   #3404
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 297
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Duke 390 Vs Rc 390 Vs Ninja 300

Check out the video by Project Upshift



Not surprisingly Duke 390 won the drag and both the duke and Rc left the ninja to sulk and by what a margin!!!
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 14:57   #3405
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,771
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post

Yes both bikes are same , difference being
My doubt was if the indian models and export one is similar? Does
The indian model have a water cooled engine?

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks