Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 15:48   #3436
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 723
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I am now getting very interested in putting spoke wheel at the front... Is there someone on the HSR, Koramangala side who can help?
As suggested by doc, Indimotard guys are the ones u can trust with major modifications such as these. Infact the pic of the modified 390, with spoked rim which was floating a while back was done by them. That bike is still lying at their garage. They are located lose to ESI hospital at white fields and their garage is called grease house.


Some r&D going on for the luggage plate. seems to be some issues with measurements. The holders will have to be re-made now. :(
Attached Images
 
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 15:59   #3437
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Some r&D going on for the luggage plate. seems to be some issues with measurements. The holders will have to be re-made now. :(
Looks very nicely made. Is it going to be over the pillion seat or will the pillion seat still be free?

Also, depending on the type of weight you plan to mount on this, would be a good idea to have a cross strut on each side between each rearmost corner of the platform and the bottom of the two pillars which are going to bolt into the two bolt holes of the grab rails on each side - to make a triangle, and distribute forces.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 16:21   #3438
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 288
Thanked: 367 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
...

Some r&D going on for the luggage plate. seems to be some issues with measurements. The holders will have to be re-made now. :(
Your original measurements may be correct but designing with sheet metal requires bend allowances to be added to compensate for metal in the bends. I don't know if this is the source of the mistake.

The frame seems to be bolted to the brackets. Do you intend to use the brackets for other purposes also? If not, then the frame and brackets could be a one-piece part and thus add reliability.

The frame looks nice but keep in mind that laser cut steel sheet has very sharp (but burr-free) edges and soft materials like nylon or other plastics can be cut quite easily.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 16:36   #3439
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The frame looks nice but keep in mind that laser cut steel sheet has very sharp (but burr-free) edges and soft materials like nylon or other plastics can be cut quite easily.
You know motard I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing - for something related I was planning to do.

You know a problem most Duke guys have (am surprised I have not read about it any place) is the fact that the split grab rails are open on one (rear) side. So the bungee hooks or buckled straps (of saddle bags for instance) do not get decent purchase, and have the risk of simply slipping off backward when the bike goes over a bump or pothole at speed. So you risk losing your luggage on tour.

What I was planning was getting either a hole or a slightly elongated slot cut into the slight inward bent ends of each of the grabrails - and that is when I though of exactly the same point your brought up - i.e. sharp edges fraying the nylong straps of my saddle bags or the bungees.

So the solution I was thinking about was chamfering - or going at the edges manually with a file or a rotary burr.

P.S. We have been cribbing about this one small thing since the 200 days now. BAJAJ PLEASE GIVE US LUGGAGE HOOKS!

Last edited by ebonho : 18th November 2014 at 16:43.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:14   #3440
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
BAJAJ PLEASE GIVE US LUGGAGE HOOKS!
Can't afford that 0.005g increase in weight.. - KTM Logic!
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:17   #3441
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Can't afford that 0.005g increase in weight.. - KTM Logic!
Two things are a major pain in the rear wrt luggage mounting when on tour.

1) No luggage hooks

2) Position of rear indicators
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:22   #3442
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
1) No luggage hooks

2) Position of rear indicators
Agreed completely. Ironically, I have even used the indicator stacks as bungee hook points!
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:29   #3443
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Agreed completely. Ironically, I have even used the indicator stacks as bungee hook points!
Did you stop doing that after you paid 650 bucks to replace each of them?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:31   #3444
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Did you stop doing that after you paid 650 bucks to replace each of them?
Not really. They held up well. It was only a light backpack with a couple of clothes.
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:33   #3445
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Not really. They held up well. It was only a light backpack with a couple of clothes.
Actually the rear fender is pretty hard plastic. I don't know how it would take the stress of bungee hooks if we drilled holes on either side? Or just slots/notches.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:41   #3446
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Actually the rear fender is pretty hard plastic. I don't know how it would take the stress of bungee hooks if we drilled holes on either side? Or just slots/notches.
Yep the plastics are hard. Even that indicator stack is tougher than it looks. One idea I thought during a cursing session while securing the tail bag was to make a u shaped clamp that can be bolted to the screws/allen key bolts on the under side of the rear fender.

Or drill the hole as shown below like some guys had already done.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-4.jpg

Last edited by man_of_steel : 18th November 2014 at 17:48.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 17:56   #3447
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yep the plastics are hard. Even that indicator stack is tougher than it looks. One idea I thought during a cursing session while securing the tail bag was to make a u shaped clamp that can be bolted to the screws/allen key bolts on the under side of the rear fender.

Or drill the hole as shown below like some guys had already done.
That hole is a common fix though not needed - because the two hooks close to the rider have many different places they can be snagged against, no problem. The pillion footrest pillar close to the plastic cowl, the trellis frame, being two commonly used ones.

Its the two hooks to the rear that need a safe and secure and strong anchor point.

The allen key bolts idea of yours might work though I would be very wary because they are threaded into plastic (lower into top) and not into metal chassis foundation, and can (will?) simply rip off over time.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 18:01   #3448
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The allen key bolts idea of yours might work though I would be very wary because they are threaded into plastic (lower into top) and not into metal chassis foundation, and can (will?) simply rip off over time.
Aah! I thought they bolted directly onto the subframe! If they are going into the plastics, then I would'nt put a sideways load on that!
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 18:10   #3449
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 723
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Looks very nicely made. Is it going to be over the pillion seat or will the pillion seat still be free?

Also, depending on the type of weight you plan to mount on this, would be a good idea to have a cross strut on each side between each rearmost corner of the platform and the bottom of the two pillars which are going to bolt into the two bolt holes of the grab rails on each side - to make a triangle, and distribute forces.
Thanks for the inputs. my friend who made the drawing for this said that we do not require the cross struts as we are using 2.5mm CR MS sheet. We would be requiring the same if the sheet thickness was lesser. But even i feel what you suggested would make it much more sturdy. And the plate is coming over the pillion seat, else there would be too much of cantilever. Main idea was that i could mount my givi replica hard box on to this place using the 4 holes. Will take it as first proto, and refine it thereafter.

Quote:
Your original measurements may be correct but designing with sheet metal requires bend allowances to be added to compensate for metal in the bends. I don't know if this is the source of the mistake.

The frame seems to be bolted to the brackets. Do you intend to use the brackets for other purposes also? If not, then the frame and brackets could be a one-piece part and thus add reliability.

The frame looks nice but keep in mind that laser cut steel sheet has very sharp (but burr-free) edges and soft materials like nylon or other plastics can be cut quite easily.
we had factored in bending tolerances. Its more like a case of bending angles not being correct. Also i had to keep the bracket and the plate as separate parts, else i will not be able to fix the pillion seat. will files the holes a bit before powdercoating to prevent the sharp edges.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 18:17   #3450
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 264 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I just transferred the rack from 200 to 390 . Very helpful to move the bike and haul all kinds of loads .

black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks