Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 15:03   #3976
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I will surely check the wiring once. Didnt check it before. Thanks


It happens all of a sudden no matter whether i am turning or not. I have mostly noticed it when i am travelling straight. I did not check the wiring. Will have to do it next i guess. There are a lot of D390's here which have the same problem but there is no solution till now.

My next service is scheduled in a couple of days. Lets see what comes as the culprit. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks
Here are the upgrades on the 2015 KTM Duke 390 -

1) Slipper clutch
2) Change in the front fender design
3) Rear fender gets better structural material
4) Sealed indicators to avoid water seepage
5) Heating dissipation to the bottom with radiator fan assembly changed
6) Rear shock absorber with dust cover (the visible metal part inside the spring is covered with a plastic casing)
7) Rear spring gets flap protector
8) Stiffened front seat assembly to avoid touching air filter housing
9) Changes in Speedometer logic to avoid abrupt zero position on the run and accommodates new service interval of 7500 kms
10) RH switch changed to accommodate the new throttle grip angle effectively
11) Rear mud cover wider in size like on the RC
12) Chain cover height increased to prevent slapping of chain
13) Changes in belly pan mounts
14) New hand grips carried over from the RC series
15) Silencer mounting rubber damper changed to reduce vibrations
16) Spark plug gap has been decreased to 0.8 mm from 1 mm
17) Connecting rod now gets a bush at the small end for added strength
18) New sealed bearings to avoid oil leakage at the output shaft
19) New collar sprocket
20) Increase in oil seal output shaft diameter from 25 to 26 to accommodate new collar

PLEASE SEE THE 9TH POINT. Maybe you can replace the console with a 2015 model.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 15:16   #3977
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
..But I have been choosy with the roads. I always go to places where I know the roads leading to are good, preferably highways where I can expect good petrol pumps.

..What with the soft compound Metzlers and the crack prone wheels, I am not taking chances with my bike on broken roads.
For once, keep aside all these fears and take off on a long ride. If possible solo. I am sure that your perspective of the bike will change. Leave aside your concern for roads, alloys, 'reputed' petrol pumps and chart a route that you want to do and not the bike forces you to do! I am sure that your confidence on the bike will improve. And take my word on it. You DO NOT have to baby this bike. It can take far more torture than you can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I have had experiences with that kind. Luckily, didn't break anything. And also the suspension oil leaks. I have heard that the harder the suspension is worked, more prone to these kind of leaks. I have seen many, complaining about leaky suspensions in our service center.
Agreed that some bikes have fork seals with sensitivity of a woman! But not every one of them. I have put my bike's chassis through the constant torture of potholes and light off roadings at stupid speeds in the past 1 year and 16k Kms. I wont even try to brake for a late spotted pothole! Still everything supposed to stay straight is straight, round is round and oil is staying in the places where it is supposed to be. Except the one time I had to replace the rear shock under warranty! Oh.. This calls for a Touchwood.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 26th February 2015 at 15:22.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 20:44   #3978
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,284
Thanked: 1,651 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
What's the best we to bring the bike to dead stop when in control but still want the shortest braking distance?

1. Grab a handful of the front brakes and let the ABS do its job.
I think this is the second time this technique has been suggested on the 390, just because it has abs.
Wonder what is taught in the riding schools abroad? (where abs equipped bikes are not uncommon).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 20:55   #3979
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I think this is the second time this technique has been suggested on the 390, just because it has abs.
Wonder what is taught in the riding schools abroad? (where abs equipped bikes are not uncommon).

Regards
Sutripta
End of the day ABS is a safety net. It is an electromechanical component and that can fail you one bad day. No way can this be the way to drive ! ABS saves you when it's beyond you to handle the situation IMO.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 21:24   #3980
BHPian
 
Akhilash95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 141
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Regarding braking techniques, did some googling-

Shortest braking distance is best achieved with progressive hard braking+downshifting with throttle blip.

ABS actually increases braking distance but does it safely without locking up.
So ABS is reserved as a safety net.

PS- Ofcourse I don't always try and braking in shortest possible , I just practice it once in a while I empty roads to keep myself calm during heavy braking and avoid panicing.
Akhilash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 22:00   #3981
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
For once, keep aside all these fears and take off on a long ride. If possible solo. I am sure that your perspective of the bike will change. Leave aside your concern for roads, alloys, 'reputed' petrol pumps and chart a route that you want to do and not the bike forces you to do! I am sure that your confidence on the bike will improve. And take my word on it. You DO NOT have to baby this bike. It can take far more torture than you can imagine.

Agreed that some bikes have fork seals with sensitivity of a woman! But not every one of them. I have put my bike's chassis through the constant torture of potholes and light off roadings at stupid speeds in the past 1 year and 16k Kms. I wont even try to brake for a late spotted pothole! Still everything supposed to stay straight is straight, round is round and oil is staying in the places where it is supposed to be. Except the one time I had to replace the rear shock under warranty! Oh.. This calls for a Touchwood.
O boy! Your post is reassuring, but it is more to do with my character than my finding excuses to not to try. Not that I don't go WOT (to massage my ego and to teach some a lesson), but normally I am a sedate rider, enjoying the 6th in highways more than the 3rd in twists. And to be honest, my mind drifts towards the engine noises, thuds and rattles more often than not that I sometimes am not able to enjoy a ride at all. I hate clunky shifts, suspension thuds, and weezes. The way I gingerly ride on un even roads always provoke other people behind me.

Mod Note : Abusive language whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2015 at 12:42.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 09:04   #3982
BHPian
 
munchy_cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dehradun/New Delhi
Posts: 88
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post



Agreed that some bikes have fork seals with sensitivity of a woman! But not every one of them. I have put my bike's chassis through the constant torture of potholes and light off roadings at stupid speeds in the past 1 year and 16k Kms. I wont even try to brake for a late spotted pothole! Still everything supposed to stay straight is straight, round is round and oil is staying in the places where it is supposed to be. Except the one time I had to replace the rear shock under warranty! Oh.. This calls for a Touchwood.
Even though I do not own the 390 but have the 200 I have to agree with you. I drove my D200 from Delhi to Dehradun (240 kms) with just one fuel stop in flat out 4 hours (started at 0600 hours and reached at 1000 hours, door to door) . Never once did I feel that I need to slow it down, once in top gear it feels like bliss and seems as if you are just cruising.

No oil leaks or issues with late spotted pot holes or braking. The dukes are built to be driven like crazy without worrying too much.

The only major damages I have had with the bike are a failed pump and a non-working radiator fan. The bike is a Feb 2012 model.

Last edited by munchy_cool : 27th February 2015 at 09:06.
munchy_cool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 10:02   #3983
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 3,011 Times
Default

I received this video as a WhatsApp forward from SunnyBoi. It shows, what looks like a Duke 390, bursting into flames for no apparent reason while refuelling.

Does anyone have any more info?


Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_095806.png
Views: 648
Size:  265.9 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_095817.png
Views: 647
Size:  211.3 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_095829.png
Views: 632
Size:  213.3 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_095838.png
Views: 628
Size:  182.5 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_095904.png
Views: 637
Size:  201.9 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_095953.png
Views: 633
Size:  204.0 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_100003.png
Views: 619
Size:  205.6 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_100012.png
Views: 623
Size:  236.0 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_100031.png
Views: 612
Size:  237.9 KB



Name:  ForumRunner_20150227_100059.png
Views: 667
Size:  196.9 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 11:50   #3984
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 161
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
O boy! Your post is reassuring, but it is more to do with my character than my finding excuses to not to try. Not that I don't go WOT (to massage my ego and to teach some a lesson), but normally I am a sedate rider, enjoying the 6th in highways more than the 3rd in twists. And to be honest, my mind drifts towards the engine noises, thuds and rattles more often than not that I sometimes am not able to enjoy a ride at all. I hate clunky shifts, suspension thuds, and weezes. The way I gingerly ride on un even roads always provoke other people behind me.

For the above mentioned traits, that you confess, looks like you have got yourself the wrong bike and you are posting your concerns on the wrong thread with the wrong kind of readers responding (me).

Hope you get the drift: Enjoy what you can, and share your joy. If that is not possible, then you will never enjoy this machine, but do forgive (spare maybe?) those who are enjoying it inspite of all it's shortcomings, and prefer to follow the first line of this para (2nd para to be precise).
Regards.


Schakravarty: The bike seems to be catching flames just as the fuel pipe is being pulled out. I think what may have happenend is that the attendant over filled the tank and some of the fuel spilled out and went down from the tank, catching fire as it hit the very hot parts. The bike is tilted to the rider's left side and that is where the flames show up, first.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2015 at 12:43. Reason: Editing quoted post
Insearch is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 12:19   #3985
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I received this video as a WhatsApp forward from SunnyBoi. It shows, what looks like a Duke 390, bursting into flames for no apparent reason while refuelling.
====

Attachment 1344789
I suspect a mobile phone usage while refuelling. Also, why have I not read about this anywhere else ?
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 12:20   #3986
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 296
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
For the above mentioned traits, that you confess, looks like you have got yourself the wrong bike and you are posting your concerns on the wrong thread with the wrong kind of readers responding (me).

Hope you get the drift: Enjoy what you can, and share your joy. If that is not possible, then you will never enjoy this machine, but do forgive (spare maybe?) those who are enjoying it inspite of all it's shortcomings, and prefer to follow the first line of this para (2nd para to be precise).
Regards.


Schakravarty: The bike seems to be catching flames just as the fuel pipe is being pulled out. I think what may have happenend is that the attendant over filled the tank and some of the fuel spilled out and went down from the tank, catching fire as it hit the very hot parts. The bike is tilted to the rider's left side and that is where the flames show up, first.
Thank you for opening my eyes. You can also go ahead and help me with selling my bike and buying another.
mithunvvijayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 12:49   #3987
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
I think what may have happenend is that the attendant over filled the tank and some of the fuel spilled out and went down from the tank, catching fire as it hit the very hot parts. The bike is tilted to the rider's left side and that is where the flames show up, first.
Highly unlikely, If my understanding is right, its the petrol vapor that is highly combustible and that too only with a spark or a flame. It will not ignite if it is still in liquid form. I remember reading an interesting experiment long ago about cracking the myth about the cliche movie scene in which the villain tosses a cigar to a puddle of petrol and everything explodes! It just doesn't happen! They even poured petrol into a vessel and boiled it using some electric stove and the petrol simply evaporated off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
why have I not read about this anywhere else ?
Even I tried finding a newspaper report on this. I saw in one FB post that this happened in Kancheepuram, TN.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 27th February 2015 at 12:53.
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 13:34   #3988
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I received this video as a WhatsApp forward from SunnyBoi. It shows, what looks like a Duke 390, bursting into flames for no apparent reason while refuelling.

Does anyone have any more info?
I suspect mobile phone usage, as both of the rider's hands are behind the tank and his head is tilted down, something many of us do to check messages at say, a traffic signal.

Another reason can be that the attendant dropped some amount of fuel outside the tank and came in contact with the flaming hot pipe, which is on the rider's left side. Happened with me once in Shell, and within seconds two of the attendants cleaned up the entire fuel tank and engine casing with a cloth.

I feel it's a D200 with orange rims. Might be wrong here. It just doesn't look 390-ish to me.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 14:19   #3989
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I suspect mobile phone usage, as both of the rider's hands are behind the tank and his head is tilted down, something many of us do to check messages at say, a traffic signal.

Another reason can be that the attendant dropped some amount of fuel outside the tank and came in contact with the flaming hot pipe, which is on the rider's left side. Happened with me once in Shell, and within seconds two of the attendants cleaned up the entire fuel tank and engine casing with a cloth.

I feel it's a D200 with orange rims. Might be wrong here. It just doesn't look 390-ish to me.
Yeah, i make it a point to not take the phone out while I am still on the bike.
If there is a repeated call coming in, I stop, take my helmet off and then talk.

More importantly, always smarter to get down from your vehicle while filling in (Shell pumps insist). I normally keep the bike straight with hands while standing beside it and ask the fuel guy to not over fill to make a whole figure of rupees !!!
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 14:19   #3990
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: bareilly
Posts: 387
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Anyone here has any information on the service interval change , I mean do we old bike owners also need to get it serviced at 7.5k interval now or still at 5k ?
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks