Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 19:26   #406
BHPian
 
500modder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Just got the news of the first delivery in Mumbai planned on Sunday this week. Now that's good news....
I heard that dealers were given 2 bikes - one as a demo piece and the other for a VIP customer. It seems some "VIPs" already got their rides. Anyway the good news is things are moving. I have no problems waiting a few days.
500modder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 22:23   #407
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
It's possible if it is the way we get to test ride the 390 in Trivandrum. I have already done extended rounds on it and the folks at Probike is more than willing to lend. May be, because I have booked the bike and they are liberal with the people who have booked it.
Did they let you ride it without a KTM rep as pillion? I asked and they said they weren't allowed to give the bike without a rep coming along.
Roz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 23:40   #408
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 136
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

I got a call from the KTM Store this afternoon. They are organising a 390 Test Ride session at a dealership in Hinjewadi. Hinjewadi is one of India's biggest IT Hubs & is approx 25 kms from Pune City center near the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Event is on Saturday & is open for all. When I asked him about the delay in delivery he blamed the strike at Chakan but also mentioned that things should normalise after the 15th & deliveries would begin immediately. He confirmed that 5 bikes have been delivered.
coolrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 08:12   #409
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 921
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Madness.. utter madness.. that's what this bike is!!!

Took the bike for pretty decent test run yesterday and I was just blown away! I have borrowed a friends D200 last couple of days since my 220 is on its deathbed But after a spin on the 390 the 200 felt slow and sluggish.LoL!!

The bike touches 100 in the blink of an eye. I liked the fact the bike did not become unsettled as easily as the 200 at the first sight of bad roads. And I felt the ergos to be a tad more relaxed as well. Did not test the ABS and the clutch on the test bike was not set correctly so can't comment if it was hard or soft :P

Name:  ForumRunner_20130809_080431.png
Views: 1394
Size:  698.0 KB
praful is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 10:26   #410
BHPian
 
vitesh.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NCR
Posts: 78
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz. View Post
Did they let you ride it without a KTM rep as pillion? I asked and they said they weren't allowed to give the bike without a rep coming along.
i test rode the Duke 390 in Gurgaon last week. Went for a 15 minute drive, took the D390 through its paces.
Alone - no pillion or sales rep.

Boy i returned with a wide smile on my face. the acceleration is tremendous, however owing to the heavy traffic couldn't evaluate handling much. the tires appear to be extremely grippy.

Couldn't note the speeds as the good guys at the KTM showroom had disconnected the cable.

Had booked my bike in April, i am told the delivery will be late August - fingers crossed and waiting desperately for my machine.

Last edited by vitesh.b : 9th August 2013 at 10:28.
vitesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 10:46   #411
BHPian
 
AbelAFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: KA-03
Posts: 241
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesh.b View Post
Couldn't note the speeds as the good guys at the KTM showroom had disconnected the cable.
Let's hope this poor bike isn't flogged off to some unsuspecting customer now! :s
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 10:54   #412
BHPian
 
Motormania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roaming!
Posts: 215
Thanked: 100 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@praful

Looks like you finally found a replacement for your almost-dead workhorse! We need a more thorough review Saar
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 11:55   #413
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,417
Thanked: 9,312 Times
Default

Are they giving test drives for walk-in costumers (prospective) in Bangalore?

I just cannot buy one now, but don't want to miss a drive experience.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 12:14   #414
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 921
Thanked: 340 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
@praful

Looks like you finally found a replacement for your almost-dead workhorse! We need a more thorough review Saar
Check on FB for my "review"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are they giving test drives for walk-in costumers (prospective) in Bangalore?

I just cannot buy one now, but don't want to miss a drive experience.
Prospective or not, you can just walk in for a test ride. But there is only one TR bike and that is rotated between the Marathalli/Indiranagar/Langford showrooms. So you will have to call to find out where is the bike.
praful is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 14:49   #415
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesh.b View Post
i test rode the Duke 390 in Gurgaon last week. Went for a 15 minute drive, took the D390 through its paces.
Alone - no pillion or sales rep.

Boy i returned with a wide smile on my face. the acceleration is tremendous, however owing to the heavy traffic couldn't evaluate handling much. the tires appear to be extremely grippy.

Couldn't note the speeds as the good guys at the KTM showroom had disconnected the cable.

Had booked my bike in April, i am told the delivery will be late August - fingers crossed and waiting desperately for my machine.
Was asking Santhosh as he's booked it from the same showroom and since he said he had already done extended rounds on it. I'm aware you get longer test rides without pillion in some places but here all I was offered was a 1km round in the heart of the city with a rep behind.
Roz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 02:49   #416
BHPian
 
90BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 231
Thanked: 37 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi guys, just read on one of the reviews today that the duke does not have combined ABS like the CBR, is that a good thing ? If its only at one end, is it only at the front as i remember seeing the sensors there. Saw a crazy video about ABS on you tube & now it has got me thinking. Check it out below...

90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 05:12   #417
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Hi guys, just read on one of the reviews today that the duke does not have combined ABS like the CBR, is that a good thing ? If its only at one end, is it only at the front as i remember seeing the sensors there. Saw a crazy video about ABS on you tube & now it has got me thinking. Check it out below...

There are two cables leading along the swing-arm to the rear brake assembly. Second one has to be the ABS wheel speed report cable. It wouldn't make any sense for them to put ABS on the front wheel alone.
Roz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 10:42   #418
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 31
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz. View Post
Did they let you ride it without a KTM rep as pillion? I asked and they said they weren't allowed to give the bike without a rep coming along.
Roz; I rode without a pillion. May be coz i have booked it already. I have seen some other folks riding it with a pillion. Did you book the bike?
SanthoshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 12:01   #419
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Hi guys, just read on one of the reviews today that the duke does not have combined ABS like the CBR, is that a good thing ?
Honda's combined Abs means that if you apply any one of the brakes,front lever or rear brake pedal (any one) , it evenly applies braking on the front and rear wheel simultaneously. The KTM does not have this feature. It is no deal breaker though.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th August 2013 at 12:03.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 12:45   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Honda's combined Abs means that if you apply any one of the brakes,front lever or rear brake pedal (any one) , it evenly applies braking on the front and rear wheel simultaneously. The KTM does not have this feature. It is no deal breaker though.
Anyways ABS robs a seasoned rider of control and brake modulation. Now add to it the fact that you cannot even control the amount of braking to both wheels. If anything, its the linked ABS of the Hondas that is the deal breaker.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks