Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 11:49   #4231
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,331
Thanked: 1,528 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Even I was looking for aftermarket pads initially but couldn't find any worth the price. I got exited when I saw these pads for 3.2k! But upon closer look of the pic in the advertisement, the Brembo logo on the pads doesn't look so original to me.

Attachment 1360923

This is how the original one's logo looks.

Attachment 1360924
The ad put up on TBHP Classifieds is the official Brembo distributor for India. I have bought brembo brake pads for my fiat from him 2 years ago and it was genuine.

I'm paying 30USD, around Rs2000 for EBC HH Sintered metal brake pads for my ZMA. The Brembo looks like a much better deal to me since it also includes rear brake pads
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 11:54   #4232
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The ad put up on TBHP Classifieds is the official Brembo distributor for India.
Then I might be very very wrong!

Yes, 3.2K is worth for a Brembo. I am also interested in it. Any idea what life we can expect from these (a ballpark figure)?
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 11:56   #4233
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The ad put up on TBHP Classifieds is the official Brembo distributor for India. I have bought brembo brake pads for my fiat from him 2 years ago and it was genuine.

I'm paying 30USD, around Rs2000 for EBC HH Sintered metal brake pads for my ZMA. The Brembo looks like a much better deal to me since it also includes rear brake pads
Considering the OE brake pads cost 200 bucks, can you share with us what difference you felt in the braking and how long these last in case of your ZMA?

Brakes and tyres one can always spend on. Very little else on the bike comes between you and something nasty.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 12:34   #4234
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,331
Thanked: 1,528 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Considering the OE brake pads cost 200 bucks, can you share with us what difference you felt in the braking and how long these last in case of your ZMA?

Brakes and tyres one can always spend on. Very little else on the bike comes between you and something nasty.
EBC pads lasted 7000KMs the first time and ~8400KMs the second time. There is a very big difference in the stopping power and feel; I used to run RTR brake pads between the period of these 2 pad usages (had to find someone to carry them from USA) despite having SS braided hoses, the brakes felt mushy and very uninspiring coming from EBCs.

The bite was so good, wheels would lock up if braked hard at 80KMPH. I had Michelin M45s up front and I had to upgrade the tyres despite the Michelins still having tread to last another 4000KMs. Using heavier weight front fork oil also helped.

Is it worth Rs 2000? IMHO yes. But it may not be the same for a different individual
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 14:20   #4235
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Is it worth Rs 2000? IMHO yes. But it may not be the same for a different individual
I wonder if this Goa chap would be willing to sell only the front pads, and not just the front+back set.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 14:40   #4236
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,331
Thanked: 1,528 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I wonder if this Goa chap would be willing to sell only the front pads, and not just the front+back set.
I think he will; speak to the Amit guy, I spoke with the same guy and same number couple of years ago too!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 14:47   #4237
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Sadly enough, I might be selling my 390 due to relocation. I was wondering if other users could help me figure out what sort of resale value I can expect for it.
Purchased Feb 2014, KA03 reg (Bangalore) done 13k kms, running problem free, original tires still have some life left in them, no mods, no scratches, never dropped, black color.


P.S. Folks from outside Bangalore please bear in mind that Bangalore purchase price as well as resale are always significantly higher than the rest of the country.

Last edited by ff1609 : 15th April 2015 at 14:49. Reason: additional info
ff1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 20:51   #4238
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 3,027 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
I was wondering if other users could help me figure out what sort of resale value I can expect for it.
Purchased Feb 2014, KA03 reg (Bangalore) done 13k kms, running problem free, original tires still have some life left in them, no mods, no scratches, never dropped, black color.
Mine is a March 2014, KA03. Black.
I purchased the bike in December 2014. It had done 9k kms when purchased. It was regularly serviced ( last service being just hundreds of kms prior ) and detailed records of all services were available. Tyres and sprocket had fair amount of life left. I'm still running the same and they seem good for a few more thousands.
The asking price was 1.95L. I bought it for 1.65L.
Hope it helps.

Edit: my friend purchased a 1k kms run December 2013 model, again a KA03, in January/February. It had the fork sliders and the accessory KTM Racing sticker kit. He paid 1.80L for it.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 15th April 2015 at 20:59.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 21:12   #4239
BHPian
 
Akhilash95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 141
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Sadly enough, I might be selling my 390 due to relocation. I was wondering if other users could help me figure out what sort of resale value I can expect for

Expect around 1.55-1.60 lakhs. Quote at least 7-10% more than this as everyone bargains.

PS- I bought(daddy's money) a May '14 5.5k km run bike in jan '15 for 1.75 lakhs in top condition.
Akhilash95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 09:20   #4240
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

13K is almost end of life for those tyres. I would say around 1.4 to 1.55 realistic.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:10   #4241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Mine is a March 2014, KA03. Black.
I purchased the bike in December 2014. It had done 9k kms when purchased. It was regularly serviced ( last service being just hundreds of kms prior ) and detailed records of all services were available. Tyres and sprocket had fair amount of life left. I'm still running the same and they seem good for a few more thousands.
The asking price was 1.95L. I bought it for 1.65L.
Hope it helps.

Edit: my friend purchased a 1k kms run December 2013 model, again a KA03, in January/February. It had the fork sliders and the accessory KTM Racing sticker kit. He paid 1.80L for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Expect around 1.55-1.60 lakhs. Quote at least 7-10% more than this as everyone bargains.

PS- I bought(daddy's money) a May '14 5.5k km run bike in jan '15 for 1.75 lakhs in top condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
13K is almost end of life for those tyres. I would say around 1.4 to 1.55 realistic.
Considering that I paid 2.20 lacs for it a year ago this is very steep depreciation specially by Bangalore standards for a vehicle which is in high demand(both new and used). Anyway I will put it up for sale and see what I get. VW2010,your 1.4 is a 40% depreciation in one year I hope that's not the actual scenario for this bike (worse than Fiats and Chevrolets). I will post again to let you know the outcome, fingers crossed!
ff1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:20   #4242
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 108
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Considering that I paid 2.20 lacs for it a year ago this is very steep depreciation specially by Bangalore standards for a vehicle which is in high demand(both new and used). Anyway I will put it up for sale and see what I get. VW2010,your 1.4 is a 40% depreciation in one year I hope that's not the actual scenario for this bike (worse than Fiats and Chevrolets). I will post again to let you know the outcome, fingers crossed!
Well, I have purchased a Jan 2014 model for 1.57 with 9k on odo. New rear tyre and front had a lot of life left. I'd say you may get 1.5-1.6. Expect 30-35% depreciation depending on the condition of the vehicle. KTMs don't have the resale value of a Kawasaki. Also high performance vehicles usually depreciate faster.

Last edited by b16h22 : 16th April 2015 at 15:35.
b16h22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:28   #4243
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 584
Thanked: 688 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
a vehicle which is in high demand(both new and used).
I don't intend to scare you but I had the same misconception bro. Only after I put it up for sale on OLX did I come across so many other 390s for sale at extremely low prices. These are all cases where owners have been reducing prices every week in the hope of finding a buyer.

You will get a lot of calls from dealers in tier 2 cities quoting ridiculous prices like 1.3 or 1.4. In fact a fellow BHPian bought a December 2013 390 at 1.15L in Hyderabad if I remember right. You can check his ownership review.

I think RCs and Indian obsession for faired bikes have killed the 390s. Added to this, it has now become common knowledge among the enthusiasts that the newer 390 comes with slipper and softer clutch along with a list of added features and sorted niggles. This will hurt the older 390s' value too.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 16th April 2015 at 15:31.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:38   #4244
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I don't intend to scare you but I had the same misconception bro. Only after I put it up for sale on OLX did I come across so many other 390s for sale at extremely low prices. These are all cases where owners have been reducing prices every week in the hope of finding a buyer.

You will get a lot of calls from dealers in tier 2 cities quoting ridiculous prices like 1.3 or 1.4. In fact a fellow BHPian bought a December 2013 390 at 1.15L in Hyderabad if I remember right. You can check his ownership review.

I think RCs and Indian obsession for faired bikes have killed the 390s. Added to this, it has now become common knowledge among the enthusiasts that the newer 390 comes with slipper and softer clutch along with a list of added features and sorted niggles. This will hurt the older 390s' value too.
You will find both extremes - 390s that have been sold really cheap and those which have been sold for a good price. I am usually patient with selling my vehicles and end up selling on the higher side, but who knows this bike might prove me wrong, lets see
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:52   #4245
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
In fact a fellow BHPian bought a December 2013 390 at 1.15L in Hyderabad if I remember right. You can check his ownership review.
Yup. But he almost immediately also spent another 18K on a new set of Metzelers. Considering the set the bike came with had already about 10,000 kms on them. So you should notionally take the price to be 1.33 and not 1.15, as the fully landed ride-away price. At least that's how I would.

Which is why I said in an earlier post that one has a window of approximately 15-20K to negotiate (up or down depending on if you are selling or buying) based on the number of kilometers.

The caveat being assuming these are sub 15K km bikes. So you either have almost bald Metzlers (and Insurance not renewed more often than not) or you have brand new tyres - either MRFs or Metzelers.

I would treat a sub 15K 390 with brand new Metzelers, depending on its condition, as a brand new bike.

A sub 15K bike with used Metzelers, again depending on condition, I would pro-rate about 1.7 rupees per kilometer and negotiate accordingly - as the most critical consumable.

Depending on Insurance and how many months of cover you get with the bike, again pro-rate accordingly. But that's small change. More a bonus than anything else.

Once you start getting 15K km plus bikes in the market, well into theire second set of tyres, or maybe even into their second, that is when you start talking depreciation of model years.

The rule of thumb being 25% the moment it leaves the showroom, and an additional 10K for every aditional model year. That's approximately how the resale market works as well, unless you get a really exceptional bike in mint condition, well cared for, and very low miles.

And you are right. OLX and Quikr are awash in KTMs. The rule of thumb I found by looking at prices quoted and prices finally closed at, there is usually a "negotiation margin" of anywhere between 10-15K rupees. I am talking about confirmed closed deals here. Not quotes and counter quotes. And I have seen bike prices running the gamut between an upper of 1.7 to a rock bottom of 1.2.

Most of this gyaan is from my own 390 hunt last year around November. And my 200 sale a few months earlier to that. Both deals happened off of OLX so I am a beleiver. But patience is a key.

Things might have changed since then.

Last edited by ebonho : 16th April 2015 at 15:57.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks