Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 15:40   #421
BHPian
 
MavericK46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 103 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Anyways ABS robs a seasoned rider of control and brake modulation. Now add to it the fact that you cannot even control the amount of braking to both wheels. If anything, its the linked ABS of the Hondas that is the deal breaker.
Doc!
ABS gyaan later. Ride report right now please !
MavericK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 16:10   #422
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
Roz; I rode without a pillion. May be coz i have booked it already. I have seen some other folks riding it with a pillion. Did you book the bike?
Yes I booked it long before the launch itself. A friend of mine who booked it here got to ride without a pillion as well. I don't understand why they refused to let me. I even specifically mentioned I've booked the bike and asked again if there's any way they could let me TR without a rep and they said it was an RTO directive to not give test without a rep as pillion.
Roz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 12:02   #423
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Check on FB for my "review"



Prospective or not, you can just walk in for a test ride. But there is only one TR bike and that is rotated between the Marathalli/Indiranagar/Langford showrooms. So you will have to call to find out where is the bike.
Yesterday I was fortunate to get TD slot. Initially went to Indiranagar (Bangalore) showroom but bike was at Marathahalli showroom. Learnt from Mr. Paul (Marathahalli KTM manager) that they were having two TD bikes, but one of them met with an accident few days before. The rider is recovering after major surgeries. While overtaking a light truck he ramped to a bus from rear. As per Mr. Paul, bike front got smashed!

Regarding my TD experience: "Simply AWESOME". Both Indiranagar and Marathahalli showroom guys were friendly and very helpful with information. So everything is good except:
01. Felt more vibration in LH footrest in 3rd gear, ~80kmph
02. Took bit more time to reset ECU after a forceful engine kill

Torque can be experienced in all gears. Heard KTM offers a front windscreen meant for long touring, any idea about its effectiveness? They were not having stock.

Note: AFAIK solo ride is been practiced here in Bangalore.
sujithpnair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 02:45   #424
BHPian
 
90BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 231
Thanked: 37 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hi any duke 200 owners in the forum who have owned the 200, do you have any feedback in the maintenance costs, have you faced any plaguing issues with anything in particular. Just need some feedback. Thanks.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 09:58   #425
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Solution at Chakan in sight, says Bajaj Auto

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...auto/1154534/1

Does this mean we might get our bikes a little sooner. I'm so tired driving a car in this maddening Bangalore traffic that I'm seriously considering getting the D200 instead
Jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 10:41   #426
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
one of them met with an accident few days before. The rider is recovering after major surgeries. While overtaking a light truck he ramped to a bus from rear. As per Mr. Paul, bike front got smashed!
I must say this was something I always expected from the first time I rode this bike. And we will probably see more of it in the days to come.

Simply put, 99% of Indian riders and Indian cagers/truckers/busers/etc. will be taken out by the rate of acceleration and the time interval between the "small bike" being a speck to the "small bike" being on top of you. Or vice versa - to the vehicle ahead being a speck to you on same "small bike" being on top of the vehicle.

The distance closing approach speed is something that will take the riders and traffic some time to adjust to.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 10:52   #427
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Just got the news of the first delivery in Mumbai planned on Sunday this week. Now that's good news....
So was the bike delivered last Sunday or not? Does anyone have any update on the deliveries? The wait has become excruciatingly long..
Jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:03   #428
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
The distance closing approach speed is something that will take the riders and traffic some time to adjust to
I guess adrenaline takes over sanity and some riders want to test the acceleration immediately.

Secondly i blame the test route provided by the KTM in most of the cities. In Chennai it is pathetic and hardly you will convince anyone to buy the 390 unless you have done your own research.

Frankly put the KTM requires atleast a KM of open road to enjoy what the bike is actually capable off.

When this is not given by the KTM staff and restrict riders to use the available crampy 200m road this was expected to happen.

I blame the KTM staff to manage test rides with no intention to actually impress someone buy the bike post test rides.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:06   #429
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 527
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I must say this was something I always expected from the first time I rode this bike. And we will probably see more of it in the days to come.

Simply put, 99% of Indian riders and Indian cagers/truckers/busers/etc. will be taken out by the rate of acceleration and the time interval between the "small bike" being a speck to the "small bike" being on top of you. Or vice versa - to the vehicle ahead being a speck to you on same "small bike" being on top of the vehicle.

The distance closing approach speed is something that will take the riders and traffic some time to adjust to.
Doc,

Can you perhaps do a small write up for first time/rusty/commuter riders to safely transition into the Duke 390? I suspect the same happened with the D200 in the initial days as well, although I wasn't in the country when it was launched to know for sure.
I know that it is not a perfect bike for beginners or rusty riders, but for those of us using it for entertainment purposes will run into the same problem whether it is a 200/390 and those remain the only two choices for enthusiasts here.

cheers

imp!
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:09   #430
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I guess adrenaline takes over sanity and some riders want to test the acceleration immediately.

Secondly i blame the test route provided by the KTM in most of the cities. In Chennai it is pathetic and hardly you will convince anyone to buy the 390 unless you have done your own research.

Frankly put the KTM requires atleast a KM of open road to enjoy what the bike is actually capable off.

When this is not given by the KTM staff and restrict riders to use the available crampy 200m road this was expected to happen.

I blame the KTM staff to manage test rides with no intention to actually impress someone buy the bike post test rides.
To be fair here bro, there are many manufacturers who do not even provide test rides. Most dealerships and showrooms are smack dab in the center of big teeming cities. Where are you going to test ride the bike with 1 km open space? Especially when you have a line of bikers waiting for their turn.

Personally speaking, I have never test rode a single bike I have bought. Each bike of mine has been the first bike I have ridden of that that particular brand/model. All my purchases are from the heart. And the first ride has never disappointed (well except once ....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Doc,

Can you perhaps do a small write up for first time/rusty/commuter riders to safely transition into the Duke 390? I suspect the same happened with the D200 in the initial days as well, although I wasn't in the country when it was launched to know for sure.
I know that it is not a perfect bike for beginners or rusty riders, but for those of us using it for entertainment purposes will run into the same problem whether it is a 200/390 and those remain the only two choices for enthusiasts here.

cheers

imp!
From what I hear, I can probably do better. Hopefully soon. Please continue to be patient .....

As for your query in this particular instance, just get used to the bike like any other man. Just remember, those around you will not get used to it as soon as you do, so factor that in when riding and keep margins for fools and morons of which our roads have plenty .....

Last edited by ebonho : 13th August 2013 at 11:19.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:10   #431
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I blame the KTM staff to manage test rides with no intention to actually impress someone buy the bike post test rides.
With all due respect, the mishap that happened in Bangalore happened on a double 6 lane road (One of the best roads in Bangalore to test this beast). IMHO something like this can be more attributed to the rider wanting to test the limits of the machine without getting accustomed to the bike's characteristics.
Jaycee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:19   #432
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Where are you going to test ride the bike with 1 km open space? Especially when you have a line of bikers waiting for their turn.
Agreed.

Here is my view point. On a comparative basis KTM may do a good job. But they can move this standard scale to such heights that others will be forced to follow.

Honestly there is no long queues to test such bikes. And if someone wants to test it and it means he has to wait for few minutes, i believe it will only benefit the rider and the company.

Having said that i do understand the constraints. The reason i quoted is that the bike is so wonderful if only you can test it properly.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:23   #433
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Agreed.

Here is my view point. On a comparative basis KTM may do a good job. But they can move this standard scale to such heights that others will be forced to follow.

Honestly there is no long queues to test such bikes. And if someone wants to test it and it means he has to wait for few minutes, i believe it will only benefit the rider and the company.

Having said that i do understand the constraints. The reason i quoted is that the bike is so wonderful if only you can test it properly.
I agree to what you are saying, was just pointing out the initial hype and pressure for test rides all new long awaited launches face. It peters out quickly as soon as the bikes actually hit the roads.

And in the end it does boil down to each person and the kind of rapport he has with the showroom guys. Lets face that. So some riders will perforce have to ride with a showroom guy pillion around the block, while some guys wil get the bike to themselves for as much as half an hour (of course, etiquette dictates you fuel the bike accordingly on your own dollar ....).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:28   #434
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
the kind of rapport he has with the showroom guys.
A political connection works more wonders. You may actually use the bike for few days . Jokes apart are you buying one?

I see more RE owners showing wide interest on this 390 than any other bikes recently.

I am more than excited to ride this 390 to work and hoping to see delivery soon. My current horse can get some breather to get pampered at my fav work shop.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 11:41   #435
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I see more RE owners showing wide interest on this 390 than any other bikes recently.
I have already dissected threadbare the psyche driving this conundrum earlier. The 390 is just "sufficiently big" for the RE boys .....

Quote:
My current horse can get some breather to get pampered at my fav work shop.
Our favorite horses always get pampered. Only now we can still be riding, while they are at the spa.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks