Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 15:13   #4906
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I have noticed the same with my front michelins on my duke 390 too. Its fine when leaned over but doesnt respond well to small steering corrections. Probably coz of the tread pattern at the base. But the rear Michelins are quite good which just amplifies how bad the front tyre really is. I feel a front Metz and rear Michelin combo would work very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
I also feel that Michellins weigh a bit higher than Metzelers which can also be amplifying the issue.I dont like the front Michellin and well if everyone feels the same way as we do, then i guess its time to change to Metzelers.

Have you guys, or other who have gone in for their tyre changes already, never considered the new MRFs which were supposed to have been developed specifically for the 390?

I ask because (1) they would be even cheaper than the Michelins; and (2) the MRFs on my 200 rocked. The bike was nimble and planted and aside from the skittish back-end on braking or under power (esp on concrete roads), I never had low confidence on them.

Being harder compound than the Metzelers (and possibly even the Michelins) they would even be ideal for long distance touring where you do large distances on flat-tish straight-ish roads and hence just land up suaring away your tyres in the center before you hit the good twisty bits where you really need the edges.

And then when you nee the edges, instead of having a nice seamless round profile cross-section, you now have a flat center and a proper edge left and right.

I looked up the MRF site and could not find anything separate for the 390. They only show the MRF Revz FC and C (same as on the 200s).

Could someone please help with a link or a number. I'd really like to take a look at these tyres.

I know good riders who use the Duke 200 Revz as the rear tyre on their 390s for touring. The specially made one should therefore be better.

Thanks, and Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:07   #4907
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 758
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Could someone please help with a link or a number. I'd really like to take a look at these tyres.
Doc, a detailed review of the aforementioned tyres are here.

I belive Bhpian b16h22 had the same tyres on the bike when he purchased it. Perhaps he can shed some light on these tyres as well.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:07   #4908
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 108
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have you guys, or other who have gone in for their tyre changes already, never considered the new MRFs which were supposed to have been developed specifically for the 390?

I ask because (1) they would be even cheaper than the Michelins; and (2) the MRFs on my 200 rocked. The bike was nimble and planted and aside from the skittish back-end on braking or under power (esp on concrete roads), I never had low confidence on them.

Being harder compound than the Metzelers (and possibly even the Michelins) they would even be ideal for long distance touring where you do large distances on flat-tish straight-ish roads and hence just land up suaring away your tyres in the center before you hit the good twisty bits where you really need the edges.

And then when you nee the edges, instead of having a nice seamless round profile cross-section, you now have a flat center and a proper edge left and right.

I looked up the MRF site and could not find anything separate for the 390. They only show the MRF Revz FC and C (same as on the 200s).

Could someone please help with a link or a number. I'd really like to take a look at these tyres.

I know good riders who use the Duke 200 Revz as the rear tyre on their 390s for touring. The specially made one should therefore be better.

Thanks, and Cheers, Doc
They are c1 and fc1. One of my friends said mrf is doing the final testing of this rubber. I'm using normal revZ C for the rear. It slides around a bit and the wet grip is not there.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:30   #4909
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: chennai/neyveli
Posts: 70
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have you guys, or other who have gone in for their tyre changes already, never considered the new MRFs which were supposed to have been de

I ask because (1) they would be even cheaper than the Michelins; and (2) the MRFs on my 200 rocked. The bike was nimble and planted and aside from the skittish back-end on braking or under power (esp on concrete road......

Thanks, and Cheers, Doc
Doc, i was not really confident with the MRF on my Duke 200. The bike would feel nervous in turns and under hard braking even if slight gravel was present, whereas Michelins fare much better. I also didn't find much reviews on these special MRFs, when I was about to change the tires, so switched to Michelins.
After almost 1000 kms on Michelins, I can safely say that the bike feels more stable and planted at high speeds, as I do frequent highway runs. The only gripe is the slight heavy front end, which my friend also confirmed just now.


Note from Support: Post Edited for grammar & spell-check. Please take time to properly type & space your posts for better readability. Thanks!
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 22:00   #4910
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Doc, a detailed review of the aforementioned tyres are here.

I belive Bhpian b16h22 had the same tyres on the bike when he purchased it. Perhaps he can shed some light on these tyres as well.
The article is from January 2015. The tyres are still not in the market?
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 23:25   #4911
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 108
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Doc, a detailed review of the aforementioned tyres are here.

I belive Bhpian b16h22 had the same tyres on the bike when he purchased it. Perhaps he can shed some light on these tyres as well.
Well it was the regular revz c mate. I had thought they were revz c1s before i checked out the bike for purchase.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The article is from January 2015. The tyres are still not in the market?
I was quite surprised to hear that they are still not in the market. My friend had a talk with a guy who works for mrf while doing a track day. They were testing the tires on track
b16h22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 08:40   #4912
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Won't switching to after market brake pads help?

Regards
I am on rear brembos and no go. Still feels as mushy as ever.
bik1906 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 12:51   #4913
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
I am on rear brembos and no go. Still feels as mushy as ever.
What about the front's, I hardly ever use the rear brake on my NS. Infact I rely almost entirely on the front brakes to haul me down from speeds.

I am almost decided on getting the Duke 390, and the first set of upgrade will be to HEL braided brake lines and some after market brake pads.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 13:27   #4914
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am almost decided on getting the Duke 390, and the first set of upgrade will be to HEL braided brake lines and some after market brake pads.
Not sure what difference it will make since the 390s already have steel braided lines.
man_of_steel is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 13:42   #4915
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Not sure what difference it will make since the 390s already have steel braided lines.
Aah!! Wasn't aware about this, thanks mate! so there's one thing less to worry about.

Regards
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 16:55   #4916
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 232
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Have you guys, or other who have gone in for their tyre changes already, never considered the ............. use the Duke 200 Revz as the rear tyre on their 390s for touring. The specially made one should therefore be better.

Thanks, and Cheers, Doc
I too had a D200 before swapping for a 390 but I didnt quite like the feel of the MRFs, felt a bit twitchy and yes, the rear lost grip easily. Besides, dont the MRFs have a lower speed rating with resp. to 390?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Not sure what difference it will make since the 390s already have steel braided lines.
I guess if all probable solutions have been tried and failed then I think the ABS system definitely looks to be the culprit. My 200 had much better brake feel and feedback compared to the 390 although the stopping distance of the 390 may be smaller. Could it be the ABS kicking in too soon ?
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 17:02   #4917
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I too had a D200 before swapping for a 390 but I didnt quite like the feel of the MRFs, felt a bit twitchy and yes, the rear lost grip easily. Besides, dont the MRFs have a lower speed rating with resp. to 390?
I guess its a personal thing and depends greatly on what you have predominantly grown up riding. In my case its Bullets and MRF Nylogrips or Dunlop JAPs.

I found the Revs a revelation. And enjoyed them greatly.

The ones for the 390 being discussed here will be speed rated for the 390.

Quote:
I guess if all probable solutions have been tried and failed then I think the ABS system definitely looks to be the culprit. My 200 had much better brake feel and feedback compared to the 390 although the stopping distance of the 390 may be smaller. Could it be the ABS kicking in too soon ?
Same feeling here. Loved the brakes on my 200. The ones on the 390 are nowhere close. The front has developed way too much pull distance till bite point. The rear activates the ABS way too early and spoils the entire trail braking feel for me personally (I'm old school - I still use a lot of the rear brake to stabilize the bike and scrub speed smoothly/continuously rather in a hurry).
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 10:46   #4918
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I found the 390 brakes pretty adequate but probably i didnt cross the mileage (i did around 7K). Today in my FZ6R had the scare of my life. On a wet road, i almost lost the front end while braking. On stock bridgestone battlax i have done around 4K miles. These last around 7-8K miles.


THe difference between ABS, Good brakes and good wet tyres makes a huge difference. On same conditions i never worried about safety(in KTM) but today had the best scare on one of the best road bikes. The Fz6R. I am already thinking of upgrading to something with ABS and Traction and better sized brakes bike.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 11:36   #4919
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 16
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

There seems to be an availability issue with the Metzeler Sportec M5 tyres. Bajaj offer them at a subsidised rate through the service centres, but now they're all saying that there's no stock left, and that I'll have to source the tyres on my own, which is a much more expensive proposition. When I ask the managers WHY there isn't any stock left, they invariably say "company issue", and tell me to use Michelins instead. I'm disappointed at how poorly this has been handled. When they offer a discount, obviously there's going to be a higher demand. It's their responsibility to ensure that they have adequate stock. Instead, they're twiddling their thumbs and refusing to accept their mistake.
MM-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 12:54   #4920
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 758
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-58 View Post
When I ask the managers WHY there isn't any stock left, they invariably say "company issue", and tell me to use Michelins instead. I'm disappointed at how poorly this has been handled.
This is most surprising.

Here, in Delhi, they're organising a Track Day for 390 owners at the Buddh International Circuit, sometime at the end of this month. Apparently, they're refusing to register customers who use ANY TYRE BRAND except the Metzeler. To add to it, they're not even giving receipts/acknowledgements after taking the registration fees from the customer!

So much for not being able to digest the fact that a tyre that costs half as much as their dear Metz is giving it tough competition. KTM will never learn, will it?

Our fellow member mehuel, an avid and skilled track guy, went with the rear Metz on his RC390 because he was left with no other option!

Last edited by barcalad : 10th October 2015 at 12:56.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks