Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 12:26   #4936
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Don't know if it's shared before or if it's appropriate for this thread but since it involves a Duke 390, I'm posting it here. A salute to the guy.

http://www.motoroids.com/features/bi...-new-duke-390/
Fantastic gesture truly by the young man.

And a great way to show appreciation for his selfless gesture.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 17:52   #4937
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This morning, while riding to work, the horn is suddenly stopped working. checked the connecting wires to horn, they seem to be in place. Rest all lights, indicators etc are working fine. Where could i look into to get this sorted. What are diagnostic steps to find the fault area.
Please check the dual horn two-way switch, which is generally positioned right behind the radiator. If positioned wrongly, the heat can take it's toll on the switch/wires. Also, do an individual check on the fuses as well under the pillion seat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Don't know if it's shared before or if it's appropriate for this thread but since it involves a Duke 390, I'm posting it here. A salute to the guy.

http://www.motoroids.com/features/bi...-new-duke-390/
If I ever see this guy, I would jump to shake his hand. Nothing but utmost respect for this gentleman.

He's a rare breed. Proud to have him riding the Orange.

Last edited by barcalad : 13th October 2015 at 17:56.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 18:52   #4938
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Bike electrical if you study carefully and patiently are fairly easy. I learnt it after so many years and all it took was some DIY, voltmeter and spares.

If the work was done professionally i am absolutely sure there is a Relay, probably an upgraded rectifier and a distribution box. Even otherwise they may have tapped the connection directly from the battery.

1) Simply trace the wire from the Horn to its origin. Check if the end connections are fine
2) Remove the switch and directly connect the horn one after the other. Your can eliminate which horn is kaput
3) If it’s through a relay; try a direct connection to ensure Relay is working fine.

As someone pointed correctly it could be the switch.

Also when installing custom horns the right way to do is through a fuse box or fuse holder with probably 20A fuse in it.

All these can be traced if you simply trace the wiring.

I just did it for my FZ6R and it’s a fun Saturday job but requires lot of attention, careful planning and patience. When you do it on your own you can even set up fuse for each connection. I had to do it for heated equipment’s to manage the upcoming winter.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 00:56   #4939
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 1,044 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I guess I found out the greatest disadvantage of owning the D390 today.

Dogs.

It's not that I have disturbed the sleep of these creatures sleeping away to glory in the middle of the road ever. Been there, done that. Some have reacted, but usually have backed off at the right time. Happens mostly after bedtime hours with me but only when I ride the D390. Never on any other bike at almost similar conditions.

So, today, as I was riding through the by-lanes of my area, two black hounds, as if running a relay race appeared out of nowhere and started running beside my bike, one on each side. One of them was precariously close to the front wheel and to avoid eating dust, I slowed down. That's when I felt for a millisecond the teeth of one on my left foot. As if in reflex, I downshifted and the 44 horses saved my leg from being torn apart.

Not caring even if I ploughed them over, I rocketed past them at the right time.

This was when I was going to pick my brother from his office, exactly a hour back.

While returning home with him as pillion, 3 separate dogs heard the (in)famous racket of the Austrian and pounced again on my brother. Nothing happened to him. He lifted his legs up and this time, I simply pulled the clutch and revved with all my might.

The result?

They scrammed for dear life. Probably took the living daylights out of them.

Fellow owners, next time a dog messes with you - let the 44 horses neigh together!
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 07:37   #4940
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I guess I found out the greatest disadvantage of owning the D390 today.

Dogs.

It's not that I have disturbed the sleep of these creatures sleeping away to glory in the middle of the road ever. Been there, done that. Some have reacted, but usually have backed off at the right time. Happens mostly after bedtime hours with me but only when I ride the D390. Never on any other bike at almost similar conditions.

So, today, as I was riding through the by-lanes of my area, two black hounds, as if running a relay race appeared out of nowhere and started running beside my bike, one on each side. One of them was precariously close to the front wheel and to avoid eating dust, I slowed down. That's when I felt for a millisecond the teeth of one on my left foot. As if in reflex, I downshifted and the 44 horses saved my leg from being torn apart.

Not caring even if I ploughed them over, I rocketed past them at the right time.

This was when I was going to pick my brother from his office, exactly a hour back.

While returning home with him as pillion, 3 separate dogs heard the (in)famous racket of the Austrian and pounced again on my brother. Nothing happened to him. He lifted his legs up and this time, I simply pulled the clutch and revved with all my might.

The result?

They scrammed for dear life. Probably took the living daylights out of them.

Fellow owners, next time a dog messes with you - let the 44 horses neigh together!
My favored modus operandi is spot dog doing the spot jig ready to launch, make eye contact, point bike towards him (remember a moving bike is prey, and yes its always a him), adjust speed as dog launches alongside you, then aim foot preferably under dog's jaw and kick.

Dog launches a second time.

Howls of protest from wife and misc Manekas. But I have now saved fellow bikers by giving urban hunter a jawache and a painful Pavlovian memory.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 07:46   #4941
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 256
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I guess I found out the greatest disadvantage of owning the D390 today.

Dogs.
From personal experience, the 390 is a stray dog magnet, especially in the mornings. None of the other bikes make them behave this way. Safest thing is to just stop and make them back off.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 09:23   #4942
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: chennai/neyveli
Posts: 70
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I guess I found out the greatest disadvantage of owning the D390 today.

Dogs.

It's not that I have disturbed the sleep of these creatures sleeping away to glory in the middle of the road ever. Been there, done that. Some have reacted, but usually have backed off at the right time. Happens mostly after bedtime hours with me but only when I ride the D390. Never on any other bike at almost similar conditions.

So, today, as I was riding through the by-lanes of my area, two black hounds, as if running a relay race appeared out of nowhere and started running beside my bike, one on each side. One of them was precariously close to the front wheel and to avoid eating dust, I slowed down. That's when I felt for a millisecond the teeth of one on my left foot. As if in reflex, I downshifted and the 44 horses saved my leg from being torn apart.

Not caring even if I ploughed them over, I rocketed past them at the right time.

This was when I was going to pick my brother from his office, exactly a hour back.

While returning home with him as pillion, 3 separate dogs heard the (in)famous racket of the Austrian and pounced again on my brother. Nothing happened to him. He lifted his legs up and this time, I simply pulled the clutch and revved with all my might.

The result?

They scrammed for dear life. Probably took the living daylights out of them.

Fellow owners, next time a dog messes with you - let the 44 horses neigh together!

The same thing happens almost every week and i thought it's a one off case.Rev the hell and they run away scared like a group of ninjas.I also notice this particular dog which always chases me when he is accompanied by a female,the same doesn't happen when he is alone.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:05   #4943
BHPian
 
punterccrx8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 713
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Guys, Air seems to be leaking from the side wall of my rear tire. I suspect the tire beading is screwed. Should I take it to the showroom or a local tire repair shop is enough?
punterccrx8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:09   #4944
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My favored modus operandi is spot dog doing the spot jig ready to launch, make eye contact
+1 to the eye contact thing. I always stop the bike and look at the dog straight in the eye, haven't got bitten yet.

There is a peculiar dog in my neighbourhood which will chase me whenever I am above 25kmph on that narrow road on any gear. I have passed the bugger at 22kmph and 24kmph in 1st gear and it never bothered to even look. But I have passed it multiple times @ about 27 or 30kmph in 1st or 2nd gear and it chases me!! Wonder which patented speedgun it has onboard!
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 11:38   #4945
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 723
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Please check the dual horn two-way switch, which is generally positioned right behind the radiator. If positioned wrongly, the heat can take it's toll on the switch/wires. Also, do an individual check on the fuses as well under the pillion seat.
Quote:
Bike electrical if you study carefully and patiently are fairly easy. I learnt it after so many years and all it took was some DIY, voltmeter and spares.
Thanks. The case turned out to be matter of loose connection, cant say where exactly. Last night, i removed the fuses and put them back together, removed and refitted Relay wires, and the horn started working fine.

ANOTHER SMALL ISSUE:

I got the bike serviced last Saturday from Autoservice. I was present throughout the service duration. I was usual service. My stator coil was replaced a few months back, post which there was engine oil sweating from the joint. So this service i asked them to open the cover and replace the gasket which was carried out.
Now after the service, the bike feels very unrefined and rough compared to how it was before the service. There also seems to be a bit of hesitation while picking speed. Even how the bike sounds is changed. Checked the chain tension and its same as what i usually maintain. Checked the brakes and its fine. pads are not touching the rotor. i can clearly feel the changes in overall character of the bike before and after the service, and am not happy with how the bike is now. :(
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 15:51   #4946
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 669
Thanked: 893 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Guys, Air seems to be leaking from the side wall of my rear tire. I suspect the tire beading is screwed. Should I take it to the showroom or a local tire repair shop is enough?
Check it out yourself with a soap solution, if there is a leak, you will find it out. Check if any foreign particle has got lodged itself in the sides of the tire where it sits on the rim. Also the rim at the bead area, if it is bent, you will have possibility of leak.

And check the valve pin and the valve base itself, possibility of leak from this point also cannot be ruled out.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 16:42   #4947
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
ANOTHER SMALL ISSUE:

Now after the service, the bike feels very unrefined and rough compared to how it was before the service. There also seems to be a bit of hesitation while picking speed. Even how the bike sounds is changed. Checked the chain tension and its same as what i usually maintain. Checked the brakes and its fine. pads are not touching the rotor. i can clearly feel the changes in overall character of the bike before and after the service, and am not happy with how the bike is now. :(
Is the engine oil level correct?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 17:37   #4948
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

My friend from Australia called yesterday to chat. He's in Melbourne and will be headed to Philip Island for the Moto GP this weekend.

He rides the same track with his friends and has just managed to dip under 2 minutes (his fastest was a 1:57).

Apparently a certain Jorge Lorenzo did it in 1:27 ..... (I guess that puts our skills and racer cred into the proper perspective .... the slowest Moto GP rider does the lap in a 1:33).

Anyways the reason I posted this here was that I was telling him about the smoke on startup issue with the 390 and he said its totally normal mate, my bike does the same.

This is his bike, the one he uses for track ..... So no tension I guess.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150424wa0001.jpg

You were right VW2010, apparently a lot of FI bikes do this, depending to atmospheric conditions.

Last edited by ebonho : 14th October 2015 at 17:40.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 19:47   #4949
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,362 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Now after the service, the bike feels very unrefined and rough compared to how it was before the service. There also seems to be a bit of hesitation while picking speed. Even how the bike sounds is changed. Checked the chain tension and its same as what i usually maintain. Checked the brakes and its fine. pads are not touching the rotor. i can clearly feel the changes in overall character of the bike before and after the service, and am not happy with how the bike is now. :(

Hesitation while picking up can be due to fuel filter clogging. That has nothing to do with gasket replacement. Are you seeing any leak in the gasket area after replacement?

Do you think pressure is getting lost after the replacement?

Also the feeling could be because of being used to something for quite sometime and a new change appearing complete out of wack, whereas the new change is the right feeling from the first place.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 12:24   #4950
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 723
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Is the engine oil level correct?
Checked, Yes, its a bit high then half way mark in the oil window.

Quote:
Hesitation while picking up can be due to fuel filter clogging. That has nothing to do with gasket replacement. Are you seeing any leak in the gasket area after replacement?

Do you think pressure is getting lost after the replacement?

Also the feeling could be because of being used to something for quite sometime and a new change appearing complete out of wack, whereas the new change is the right feeling from the first place.
Even i was suspecting the fuel filter which was not changed during this service. I have ordered a new rider seat, and will be going there in a week or so, once the seat arrives. If possible, will get the fuel filter replaced and injectors cleaned.
No visible leak from the gasket area. still minor sweating from the point where the wire comes out from.
Like you mentioned, it could just be result of combination of minor settings at clutch, gear lever (which was adjusted) chain tension, fasteners not torqued to correct settings, etc. this weekend, will do an overall detailed inspection, check tightening of accessible fasteners, readjust the chain and lube it and see if it makes any difference.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks