Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 21:28   #6076
Senior - BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 1,945 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
I have completed 9,000 hard kilometers on my 390 with a not-so-regular chain maintenance. My service guy told me that I will need to replace my chain-sprocket after maybe another 1,000kms!
Is 10,000kms life routine for the chain-sprocket?
And how do I take better care of the chain from hereon?
Rohitj92 is absolutely correct.

If a rear chain is properly lubricated and kept clean, it should last for at least 15,000 km.
The sprockets should be good for over 30,000 km.

I think the rear chain is probably the most neglected thing on a motorcycle and as you found, this neglect will lead not only to a need to replace the chain but the chain sprockets as well.

Lubricating and cleaning a chain is a easy task and checking to see if it needs adjustment is not much more difficult, doing the actual adjustment does require making the adjustment without getting the rear wheel out of alignment. You don't want the rear wheel to be pointed right or left when your done. It needs to be pointing straight ahead.

Doing this alignment also is not real hard and there are several ways of doing it but if you decide to take on the task, I recommend spending some time on the web to check out some of the videos. (Check several because there are some that are not clear or are not correct. After seeing several, you will be able to figure out what the best way for you is.)

IMO, you should lubricate the chain every 500-600 km if it is ridden in wet conditions. In dry conditions, the lubricating interval can be extended to 800-1000 km.

While lubricating the chain, check to see if some area of it has tightened up. That is, it doesn't want to bend. If you see a area that seems to be this way, replace the chain immediately.

Also, NEVER lubricate the chain while the engine is running.
One of our fellow members did try lubricating his chain while the engine was running and the transmission was in first gear. (The motorcycle was resting on the centerstand with the rear wheel in the air.)

While doing this, he accidentally got his fingers caught in the chain and the rear sprocket chopped them off.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th July 2017 at 21:33.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 23:12   #6077
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 123
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
I have completed 9,000 hard kilometers on my 390 with a not-so-regular chain maintenance. My service guy told me that I will need to replace my chain-sprocket after maybe another 1,000kms!
Is 10,000kms life routine for the chain-sprocket?
And how do I take better care of the chain from hereon?
I changed my chain and sprocket around 20k kms with regular cleaning, lubing and adjusting every 500-600km. The sprocket was not worn much but the chain had reached the end of it's life. 390 sprockets have an annoying tendency to develop uneven chain tension. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms
b16h22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 14:32   #6078
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms
I have been religiously cleaning and lubing my chain using Motul ,but it lasts only 12 to 14 k kilometers , I ride hard and more than replacing the chain I'm fed up of adjusting the chain every 600-700 kms .
All the well known brands ie DID etc are quite expensive and I came a across a guy in Mumbai who sells the Rolon Kit and I believe its an X-ring chain .
Can you please let me know where you have sourced the Rolon kit ,and the price .
Thanks
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 15:45   #6079
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,178
Thanked: 1,050 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I changed my chain and sprocket around 20k kms with regular cleaning, lubing and adjusting every 500-600km. The sprocket was not worn much but the chain had reached the end of it's life. 390 sprockets have an annoying tendency to develop uneven chain tension. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms
I thought the OEM chain and sprockets are indeed Rolon ones with KTM branding. At least it was for the D200.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 15:49   #6080
BHPian
 
b16h22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 123
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I thought the OEM chain and sprockets are indeed Rolon ones with KTM branding. At least it was for the D200.
Well the chain is indeed different i suppose. It gets surface rust pretty quick if i don't keep it lubed frequently. Stock chain never had that trouble. I could be wrong though

Btw, i sourced the kit from Lets Gear Up guys. It was 2600 iirc

Last edited by b16h22 : 26th July 2017 at 15:56.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 14:44   #6081
Senior - BHPian
 
shyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 2,414 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I changed my chain sprocket at around 11,000kms. I ignored chain maintenance too, but now i take proper care of the chain. I suggest you to clean, lube and tighten the chain after every 500-600kms. Works good for me. Better to buy the motul chain lube and chain clean and DIY. Works out much cheaper than taking your bike at the service station after every 500kms.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
If a rear chain is properly lubricated and kept clean, it should last for at least 15,000 km.
The sprockets should be good for over 30,000 km.

I think the rear chain is probably the most neglected thing on a motorcycle and as you found, this neglect will lead not only to a need to replace the chain but the chain sprockets as well.

Lubricating and cleaning a chain is a easy task and checking to see if it needs adjustment is not much more difficult, doing the actual adjustment does require making the adjustment without getting the rear wheel out of alignment. You don't want the rear wheel to be pointed right or left when your done. It needs to be pointing straight ahead.

Doing this alignment also is not real hard and there are several ways of doing it but if you decide to take on the task, I recommend spending some time on the web to check out some of the videos. (Check several because there are some that are not clear or are not correct. After seeing several, you will be able to figure out what the best way for you is.)

IMO, you should lubricate the chain every 500-600 km if it is ridden in wet conditions. In dry conditions, the lubricating interval can be extended to 800-1000 km.

While lubricating the chain, check to see if some area of it has tightened up. That is, it doesn't want to bend. If you see a area that seems to be this way, replace the chain immediately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I changed my chain and sprocket around 20k kms with regular cleaning, lubing and adjusting every 500-600km. The sprocket was not worn much but the chain had reached the end of it's life. 390 sprockets have an annoying tendency to develop uneven chain tension. I'm now using Rolon chain and sprocket kit. If my observation is correct, these don't stretch as much as the stock chain. I had to adjust the chain only twice in 2500 kms

Thanks a lot guys! Duly noted and will take better care of the chain now.
How long are the brake pads, both front and rear, supposed to last? I feel the front brake getting spongier!
shyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 18:32   #6082
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: chennai/neyveli
Posts: 101
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

My first chain set lasted 12k kms and the second set lasted 29k kms. First chain set was totally neglected and the second set was properly taken care off. Second set was lubed and cleaned every 500 kms. So i believe extracting a life of 20-25k kms is possible !

Last edited by nitninja : 28th July 2017 at 18:34.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 17:52   #6083
BHPian
 
The_Mad_Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: KA-09, SoCal
Posts: 57
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I have a question about an issue I've been facing with my 2014 Duke 390. The speedometer and odometer only show readings in multiples of 8 or 9, for example the speedo never crosses a reading of 4 to 5 kph within city limits. I suspect the ABS motor is shot, though the ABS is working fine.
My local KTM service centre doesn't seem to be giving me a straight answer and I've been going back and forth with them for nearly 1.5 months now. First, they say it's the ABS sensor, then the ABS cable, then the wiring kit and then the ABS motor, but still no luck. I suspect they haven't actually replaced any of the parts. I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and what the ultimate solution could be.

Thanks!
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 13:38   #6084
Senior - BHPian
 
shyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 2,414 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
My first chain set lasted 12k kms and the second set lasted 29k kms. First chain set was totally neglected and the second set was properly taken care off. Second set was lubed and cleaned every 500 kms. So i believe extracting a life of 20-25k kms is possible !

I could finally squeeze 12k kms out of it before having to replace it. Parts+labor cost ₹3500 at Whitefield KTM.
Was riding happily back home when a guy at a petrol bunk pointed the visible "steel wires" in the rear tire! Nursed the bike back home through rain and darkness and now need to replace the tire.
So what are my options? I am leaning more towards the Michelins after reading good reviews about them, but am confused about what size to go for. 140/70 or 150/60?
Metz are a strict no as they are too expensive and my bike has never seen a track and never will anytime soon. My rides are strictly confined to the roads with the frequent HYD-BLR rides.
And where can I source them in Hyderabad? And should I get it installed at KTM or at the tire shop?
shyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 14:38   #6085
BHPian
 
sriramv.iyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 807
Thanked: 649 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
So what are my options? I am leaning more towards the Michelins after reading good reviews about them, but am confused about what size to go for. 140/70 or 150/60?
I moved to Michelin Pilot Street Radials - My experience with them was relatively brief (since I gave away the D390 to one of my friends and picked a 2017 version)

The grip is awesome, and definitely as good as Metz. Loved the treads (opposing treads for front and rear tires). Wet grip was perfect too. (I tried it immediately after rains).

I was told the longevity is slightly better, but not too much. But this should be less expensive than Metz and hence a better Value for Money. I paid 12K, but I have heard reports of people getting it for 10K. So, please check around before you change them

Quote:
And should I get it installed at KTM or at the tire shop?
A good tire shop will do a better job than the KTM service centers (who rarely look at tires)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 15:16   #6086
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I moved to Michelin Pilot Street Radials - My experience with them was relatively brief

The grip is awesome, and definitely as good as Metz. Loved the treads (opposing treads for front and rear tires). Wet grip was perfect too. (I tried it immediately after rains).

I was told the longevity is slightly better, but not too much. But this should be less expensive than Metz and hence a better Value for Money. I paid 12K, but I have heard reports of people getting it for 10K. So, please check around before you change them
I used Michilin Pilot Street 150/60/17 for the rear of my Versys for about 12K kms and it looked like it could do 8-10K easily more. That costed some Rs.5,800 if am not wrong.

I rode almost 4-5K purely in medium to heavy rain mostly on tarmac with at times in a place with absolutely no road (about 450-500kms). Had one punture post about 9K kms and with normal punture kit self repair ran decently for another 3K kms. I was damn sure it could have easily done 8-10K. Quite a few have changed to Michelin Pilot Street from the stock Dunlops and are very happy. The tyre seems to be immortal!!
bikerzindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 15:43   #6087
Newbie
 
roshithr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

150/60 is the stock size for Dukes and Michelin is available in that size now for about a couple of years. Earlier Michelins 150/60 was not available and the closest was 140/70; that is the reason why you see earlier articles/reviews suggesting to go for it. As many suggested it is the most value for money bet now available in market for its comparable grip to Metz and the longevity. Actually it fares better in mud or mucky off road than Metz. It can easily go up to 20K kms and can be taken further too. But consider it as a 20k tyre and better to change it after that as grip level reduces post 20k -ish.
roshithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 11:10   #6088
Senior - BHPian
 
shyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 2,414 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I was told the longevity is slightly better, but not too much. But this should be less expensive than Metz and hence a better Value for Money. I paid 12K, but I have heard reports of people getting it for 10K. So, please check around before you change them

12k?! That's a little too much even for a pair! The rear costs around 6k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerzindia View Post
I used Michilin Pilot Street 150/60/17 for the rear of my Versys for about 12K kms and it looked like it could do 8-10K easily more. That costed some Rs.5,800 if am not wrong.

I rode almost 4-5K purely in medium to heavy rain mostly on tarmac with at times in a place with absolutely no road (about 450-500kms). Had one punture post about 9K kms and with normal punture kit self repair ran decently for another 3K kms. I was damn sure it could have easily done 8-10K. Quite a few have changed to Michelin Pilot Street from the stock Dunlops and are very happy. The tyre seems to be immortal!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshithr View Post
150/60 is the stock size for Dukes and Michelin is available in that size now for about a couple of years. Earlier Michelins 150/60 was not available and the closest was 140/70; that is the reason why you see earlier articles/reviews suggesting to go for it. As many suggested it is the most value for money bet now available in market for its comparable grip to Metz and the longevity. Actually it fares better in mud or mucky off road than Metz. It can easily go up to 20K kms and can be taken further too. But consider it as a 20k tyre and better to change it after that as grip level reduces post 20k -ish.

Oh, that sorts the tire size dilemma. Thank you, good sir!
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 10:28   #6089
BHPian
 
Vignesh_N/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MAS
Posts: 76
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
I have a question about an issue I've been facing with my 2014 Duke 390. The speedometer and odometer only show readings in multiples of 8 or 9, for example the speedo never crosses a reading of 4 to 5 kph within city limits. I suspect the ABS motor is shot, though the ABS is working fine.
My local KTM service centre doesn't seem to be giving me a straight answer and I've been going back and forth with them for nearly 1.5 months now. First, they say it's the ABS sensor, then the ABS cable, then the wiring kit and then the ABS motor, but still no luck. I suspect they haven't actually replaced any of the parts. I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and what the ultimate solution could be.

Thanks!
Last I checked online, Metz Sportec M5 H rated and Michelin PSR costs the same. 10K for a pair. If someone could shed light on the life of H rated M5, it should be easy to choose between Metz and Michelin
Vignesh_N/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 10:51   #6090
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 768
Thanked: 1,115 Times
Default Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I have been using the Michelin Pilot Street 150/60 (for rear) for the last 18000 kilometers (yes, you read that right). Tyre pressure checked every two weeks since purchase. I have attached it's latest photo below for reference of all. I'll let it do the talking.

Never ever reverting to Metzeler again, because the Michelin is giving me all that I want, including spectacular grip in rain/gravel/corners, for a cheaper price.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170701_155440133.jpg

Last edited by barcalad : 16th August 2017 at 10:52.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 110 15th July 2017 15:43
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks