Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2013, 19:18   #646
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Yes, I agree to you fully but braking and engine heating issues are not small to go unnoticed during the testing stage itself.
And when it comes to the CBR250, Honda is offering extended warranty for five years for a nominal amount.
I agree on the point that Bajaj/KTM is offering only 2 years warranty. It would have been more mouth watery if it was more like the Hero Motor Corps. Regarding the first point you have mentioned, I think we both may be jumping the gun here, because nobody knows what was the real reason behind this recall and the replacement of this parts. Also no problems regarding the brake unit was reported during the International as well as national test rides. And regarding engine heating issue, I dont know, In all the reviews I seen so far the heating was 'as expected' from a 375cc single. Nobody really had any complaints considering the fact that even the 200's heat wave can fry your right thighs in traffic. So Lets wait for an official statement behind this recall.

And regarding the extended warranty of Hondas, are you sure all the parts covered under standard warranty is covered under the extended one?
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 19:28   #647
BHPian
 
90BHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 231
Thanked: 37 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Yes, I agree to you fully but braking and engine heating issues are not small to go unnoticed during the testing stage itself.
Relax mate. You have not got the bike yet. Let's hear out the reality from sriram. I don't have anything against either KTM or Hero as long as I get my money's worth & so far I think I am under paying !! 😜

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
A thing of a beast, everybody looks up at you when you arrive and it does in style.
The headlights are brilliant for the city and work well. The police asked me switch off as I waited at the signal.
Hoping pretty soon your beast has many other beasts for company. This bike truly is starting a fan following so much so that a club can be started just like the bulleteers. Are you saying the cops asked you to switch off coz your lights were too bright. Surprising !!!

By the way mumbai ktm got 10 bikes today. Unfortunately I am number 53 so have a month more to wait. Damn...
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 20:50   #648
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 94 Times
Default

I haven't recieved any call from the dealership for recalls. Heating yes there is a problem on heating up if kept idling in heavy traffic. I just switch off if I have to wait more than mins, seems to work.

Brakes have been good no complaints.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 01:25   #649
BHPian
 
junaid12345678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 206
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I agree on the point that Bajaj/KTM is offering only 2 years warranty. It would have been more mouth watery if it was more like the Hero Motor Corps. Regarding the first point you have mentioned, I think we both may be jumping the gun here, because nobody knows what was the real reason behind this recall and the replacement of this parts. Also no problems regarding the brake unit was reported during the International as well as national test rides. And regarding engine heating issue, I dont know, In all the reviews I seen so far the heating was 'as expected' from a 375cc single. Nobody really had any complaints considering the fact that even the 200's heat wave can fry your right thighs in traffic. So Lets wait for an official statement behind this recall.

And regarding the extended warranty of Hondas, are you sure all the parts covered under standard warranty is covered under the extended one?

Yes, you must be right here as none has received any calls regarding the recall and like you, me too haven't felt the heat a big thing to bother as it is acceptable from a 375cc engine, having a high compression ratio. Infact the dukes are way better when compared to the Ducatis and other higher displacement naked as they heats everything under your tailbone and who complains? It's all because most of us including me are not accustomed to bigger bikes and the 390 began to heat things up
junaid12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:03   #650
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 671
Thanked: 894 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Are you saying the cops asked you to switch off coz your lights were too bright. Surprising !!!
Yeah. I was the first at the traffic signal when it turned red. A few moments later a cop walked along from the other side and asked me to switch off the lights even though it was in dip mode. He took a close look at the bike and asked some familiar questions (Kitna hai, kitna dethi hai, HH kyon nahin kharida and all those) before walking off.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 15:16   #651
BHPian
 
GreaseMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 280
Thanked: 79 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I wouldn't say the lights are bright as much as misaligned. At least I feel mine are pointed a smidgeon too high. Brightness is average and easily washed out by street lighting and oncoming high beams.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:05   #652
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 31
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Talked to Trivandrum dealer about the delivery of my 390. They said it's going to be in November 1st week. According to them, the company is trying to mitigate the heating issue and it will take time. Never expected that from KTM. I may cancel the booking and buy an Enfield 500 that I booked earlier, or even a GT if that comes next month.
SanthoshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:09   #653
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
I may cancel the booking and buy an Enfield 500 that I booked earlier, or even a GT if that comes next month.
Please reconsider the waiting bro. I am sure you will repent on THIS decision later and wish you had gone for the 390.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 05:12   #654
BHPian
 
junaid12345678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 206
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
Talked to Trivandrum dealer about the delivery of my 390. They said it's going to be in November 1st week. According to them, the company is trying to mitigate the heating issue and it will take time. Never expected that from KTM. I may cancel the booking and buy an Enfield 500 that I booked earlier, or even a GT if that comes next month.
+1 to that. My CBR250 arrived a week after booking and I asked the dealer to give it to the next person as I was behind the D390. It's been a couple of months and still waiting for the Duke. I talked to the dealer and they have no idea when they will get their first lot of bikes. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 25th September 2013 at 05:16.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 08:06   #655
BHPian
 
MavericK46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 103 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
+1 to that. My CBR250 arrived a week after booking and I asked the dealer to give it to the next person as I was behind the D390. It's been a couple of months and still waiting for the Duke. I talked to the dealer and they have no idea when they will get their first lot of bikes. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.
The one argument and a compelling one at that is the sheer difference in performance between the 390 and the Ceeber.
The former is clicking on the heels of much bigger and multi-cylinder machines and the other is a sedate tourer.

A case of 'Different horses for different courses' I guess?
MavericK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 09:43   #656
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
+1 to that. My CBR250 arrived a week after booking and I asked the dealer to give it to the next person as I was behind the D390. It's been a couple of months and still waiting for the Duke. I talked to the dealer and they have no idea when they will get their first lot of bikes. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.
I would rather be smiling my face off enjoying my ride on a KTM than have piece of mind riding a sedate/boring CBR
hsub is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 10:26   #657
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
+1 to that. My CBR250 arrived a week after booking and I asked the dealer to give it to the next person as I was behind the D390. It's been a couple of months and still waiting for the Duke. I talked to the dealer and they have no idea when they will get their first lot of bikes. Adding to the agony, comes the news of recall . Now I am thinking of going back to the CBR as it will at least give some peace of mind while riding as we are almost sure that the engine is going to start the next time we hit the switch, unfortunately which is not the case with the duke. So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.
One more hates KTM. Thats good news for us in queue

95% localized means 95% parts are readilly available. Cool i say
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 11:28   #658
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 123 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
So many KTM owners are frustrated due to fuel leaks, leaking coolant hose, leaking oil seals, paint peeling, fragile wheel rims, broken throttle cables, loose chains, broken teeth and so on. After all, A Honda made Honda is any day better than a BAJAJ made KTM. Guys, 95 percent localized and the remaining 5 percent is the KTM stickers and markings and that 95 percent is Bajaj.
Thats a first. Let me make a list. Can the 390 owners on the forum confirm if they have faced any of the below issues ? I haven't come across anyone complaining of anything else except, the starting trouble and coolant temp high warning.

1) Fuel Leaks
2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
4) Broken/bent/cracked wheel rims
5) Broken throttle cables
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 11:33   #659
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Thats a first. Let me make a list. Can the 390 owners on the forum confirm if they have faced any of the below issues ? I haven't come across anyone complaining of anything else except, the starting trouble and coolant temp high warning.

1) Fuel Leaks
2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
4) Broken/bent/cracked wheel rims
5) Broken throttle cables
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
He was mentioning about the 200... I guess!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 11:56   #660
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
1) Fuel Leaks
2) Leaking coolant hose
3) Leaking oil seals
4) Broken/bent/cracked wheel rims
5) Broken throttle cables
6) Loose chains
5) Broken teeth
Loose chain or broken throttle cable or broken teeth is common for most of the bikes. Not sure if its KTM specific.
f
When a simple google yeilds similar issues in most of the bikes. Not just KTM

Anyway it would be good to hear from KTM owners on their feedback.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks