Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:00   #1366
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

I am planning to try the RTR's or Unicorn's mirrors. I think it looks wider than the stock ones and goes with the theme of the bike.

BTW. There is a annoying high frequency rattle from the speedo cluster area post 3k RPMs. I will try pinpointing the exact location today. I remember someone posting a similar niggle some times back, but could'nt find the post now! Was this issue sorted?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 2nd December 2013 at 12:14.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:15   #1367
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 723
Thanked: 343 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Hope the mirrors are functionally better. Else the chrome kills the looks. A better mirror would be trying to find the old KB plastic ones. Tough to get but those are sturdy and will go with the bike.

Chrome mirrors are quite looks killer for this bike. My personal opinion.
Yes.. much improved view now. I depend a lot on RVMs. AM used to the bullet RVM on wider RD 350 replica handle bar. So the stock 390 RVM felt tiny and inadequate. At first service yesterday, What was readily available was the avengers (babaj), so just installed a pair to use untill i get something better that goes with the form.

Quote:
I am planning to try the RTR's or Unicorn's mirrors. I think it looks wider than the stock ones and goes with the theme of the bike.
Also have a look at Hero Impulse's RVM.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:48   #1368
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
BTW. There is a annoying high frequency rattle from the speedo cluster area post 3k RPMs. I will try pinpointing the exact location today. I remember someone posting a similar niggle some times back, but could'nt find the post now! Was this issue sorted?

Its there with every bike. I am not sure its the cluster. I think it could be the radiator side plastic that is coming out of its socket. Too much plastic means diagnising is difficult. The worst part the thing vibrates only when on move. I even taped the interior loose wires inside the cluster to see if its something from inside.

Now i have given up and decided to live with it. Its one of the wires under the tank is my guess now.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:52   #1369
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The worst part the thing vibrates only when on move.
Exactly.. Although I did'nt try to figure out the source of the sound, I tried revving the engine past 3-4k with the bike stationary. It was not there then! Will try to raise the issue to SVC on 1st service.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:41   #1370
BHPian
 
Rollin' Thunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: now Hyderabad
Posts: 288
Thanked: 56 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Hope the mirrors are functionally better. Else the chrome kills the looks. A better mirror would be trying to find the old KB plastic ones. Tough to get but those are sturdy and will go with the bike.

Chrome mirrors are quite looks killer for this bike. My personal opinion.

The problem with the RVMs of most other bikes is that they would fold due the high air-resistance drag at the higher speeds of the Duke 390. One RVM that would not fold would be that of the the Ninja 250, which is very wide, and also black --- keeping the color scheme of the Duke intact. Has anyone tried this? Will they fit? Will they be available off-the shelf at the Probiking Bajaj outlets?
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:53   #1371
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 232
Thanked: 120 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Has anyone tried exchanging their D200 for a 390 ? If yes any idea what the going rate is? Any body who's in the same boat as me please share your thoughts. Thanks,

Cheers.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:17   #1372
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Has anyone tried this? Will they fit? Will they be available off-the shelf at the Probiking Bajaj outlets?
I think the base of the mirror stem is a folding kind of stuff to be fitted to the fairing and is not like the threaded ones that can be fitted to the handlebars. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it fits, its a good choice. But ninja mirrors IIRC costs upwards of 2.5k.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:21   #1373
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 527
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Has anyone tried exchanging their D200 for a 390 ? If yes any idea what the going rate is? Any body who's in the same boat as me please share your thoughts. Thanks,

Cheers.

Nitro,

I have friends with a D200 who thought about switching out for a 390, but most of them after a run on the bike said that though the bike is fantastic, There is something manic which is missing and while they would go for the 390 with eyes closed if they didn't have the 200, thev've all (3 of them) decided to wait for the 690. Worth considering?

Cheers!

imp
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:30   #1374
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,295
Thanked: 646 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Has anyone tried exchanging their D200 for a 390 ? If yes any idea what the going rate is? Any body who's in the same boat as me please share your thoughts. Thanks,
When inquired just before the launch of the 390, the quote from the showroom for an exchange was between 95k to 1lakh based on the condition of the bike. I was looking for a used 200 at that time and came across an example which was 8k run and about a year old. When i told the guy at the showroom that the bike is only 1 year old and 8k run, he still insisted on this price and maybe 5k more if condition is very good. Hope this helps!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:30   #1375
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Funny thing is i am riding my 500 last three days and i hardly find a need for the rear view mirror. I am actually motivated to remove the RVM from my 390 for its quite a hindrance in traffic situation. I am not confident to tuck my bike because of the RVM.


Anyone found an answer for that rattling noise from the cluster or near the cluster while revving up thought it dies after it crosses 5-7k rpm.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:36   #1376
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 232
Thanked: 120 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys per post. We advise you to read the Forum rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Nitro,

I have friends with a D200 who thought about switching out for a 390, but most of them after a run on the bike said that though the bike is fantastic, There is something manic which is missing and while they would go for the 390 with eyes closed if they didn't have the 200, thev've all (3 of them) decided to wait for the 690. Worth considering?

Cheers!

imp
Well, not entirely. My budget wont even permit the ninja 300, let alone the 690. I was thinking about waiting for the RC390 for its added wind protection but I am running out of patience as I have enough saved up for a D390. All I need now is a bike that will do around 120 comfortably on the highway without shattering my teeth. December is my riding season and all my friends are raring to go except me.

Should I simply buy some braces and wade this season through and get the RC next year ? Damn! I am in a pickle... the kind of problems we urbaners go through on a regular basis

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2013 at 15:28. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys / post
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:39   #1377
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 232
Thanked: 120 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
When inquired just before the launch of the 390, the quote from the showroom for an exchange was between 95k to 1lakh based on the condition of the bike. I was looking for a used 200 at that time and came across an example which was 8k run and about a year old. When i told the guy at the showroom that the bike is only 1 year old and 8k run, he still insisted on this price and maybe 5k more if condition is very good. Hope this helps!!
Thanks a lot Abhinav. Very helpful and much appreciated. Mine has done 12K...hope I get somewhere near the ballpark you have mentioned.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:51   #1378
BHPian
 
niranjanrvce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 307
Thanked: 298 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
One RVM that would not fold would be that of the the Ninja 250...Has anyone tried this? Will they fit? Will they be available off-the shelf at the Probiking Bajaj outlets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I think the base of the mirror stem is a folding kind of stuff to be fitted to the fairing and is not like the threaded ones that can be fitted to the handlebars. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it fits, its a good choice. But ninja mirrors IIRC costs upwards of 2.5k.
Man_of_steel is right - the Ninja mirrors have a different stem to fit on the fairing and hence won't fit the Duke 390. They are available off the shelf and do cost about 2800 though!
There should be lots of options on ebay and other online sites for wide mirrors. You even get ones with CF finish, integrated indicators and so on. Might be a good idea to check them out.
niranjanrvce is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:40   #1379
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,291
Thanked: 1,363 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Should I simply buy some braces and wade this season through and get the RC next year ? Damn! I am in a pickle... the kind of problems we urbaners go through on a regular basis
My view is the 390 is not teeth shattering to ride at 120. With good gears you hardly feel you are riding at 120.

With a decent windshield like a Fazer or CBR or even the ZMR you can even avoid the wind rush to your chest/body.

The must is a good helmet( i mean a really good snuggly fit helmet), a good armour jacket or a jacket that fits over your body and doesnt become a flat surface to block wind.

I say this only after i got a good helmet. The wind noise in this new helmet is pretty much very low and this has a huge difference in the speed i am doing. 100 hits pretty easily than before and at 120 the body plays more role with respect to resistance than the face.

We have a habit of resting after an hour irrespective of where we ride. A ten minutes tea break may be. But thats how we seldom get too tired riding the bike too long.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:51   #1380
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Nitro,

I have friends with a D200 who thought about switching out for a 390, but most of them after a run on the bike said that though the bike is fantastic, There is something manic which is missing and while they would go for the 390 with eyes closed if they didn't have the 200, thev've all (3 of them) decided to wait for the 690. Worth considering?

Cheers!

imp
This is true of most 200 Dukers. And no, its not sour grapes. The company too got this feedback from most 200 Dukers polled before the launch.

If you swap my 200 for a 390, I'll take it. I'll even take one with a 25K premium as add on for such a swap (my Duke is currently at around 7500 kms).

But that's where I'll draw the line personally.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KTM Duke 390 - Accessories Thread sridhu Motorbikes 106 18th May 2016 17:15
Duke of Ram - My Orange Flame, KTM Duke 390. EDIT : Sold! hillram Motorbikes 65 13th May 2016 07:21
India made KTM Duke 390 & RC 390 to be sold in the USA Tushar Motorbikes 1 7th January 2015 13:59
My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective sridhu Motorbikes 165 1st April 2014 07:46
KTM Duke 390 - 375cc, 45 PS, 150 kg djay99 Motorbikes 620 25th June 2013 12:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks