Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 00:43   #3646
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Share your secret from 103 to 73. Unless i am in sahara stranded for 10 days, i dont see myself motivating me to lose that much.

Losing so fast is also not good. But thats a different topic for a different thread.

Yes, i meant that plastic part with 3 points to connect pipes. This is what i changed and it just fixed that feeling of waiting to launch below 5K RPM.

The service center guy was adamant it was not there until i made him test ride two bikes one after the other.
Sure will do . I had gained too much weight after graduating , reached a point where I was having weight issues(mental , I am 25 ) . Cardio(2.5 -3km walking/running everyday 6 days a week) with very light resistance training for the first 4 months and then slowly cut out the cardio and increased the weight training to proper bulking up phase . More than exercise , diet control was the key contributor and also the area where I went overboard/miscalculated . I should have eaten more than I did , no I didn't starve myself like a model , I ate 4 times a day but not enough . 22-25kg would have been the desirable loss , not 30kg . I wholeheartedly agree that losing so fast is not good , my present lifestyle just afforded me the time to commit like this . Very very hard to do with the 40-50 hours a week job routine I previously had and will get back to in few months time again.

Back to the bike ,I expect the service guy to deny it as well calling it a figment of my imagination , I also don't have the luxury of banking on a test ride bike as they don't always have one (they offer test rides on display model if it hasn't been sold to someone ) . Will have to convince him somehow . Anyways thanks for the suggestion , good to know the fix is fairly simple .
Old 17th December 2014, 01:39   #3647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
A filter was changed during first service (@1000km , done 500 more since then) but I think that was the engine oil filter . Fuel filter means the filter between the petrol tank and fuel injection system right ?

Yes one of the many things I like about the bike is it remains planted at front under sudden acceleration . I am 73kg btw (6'1 ) , I was 103kg on March 31st of this year . I didn't plan to lose this much but went overboard , bulking up at a slow pace now .
you should have tested the performance of your bike before and after the weight loss. I am 95kg, 6 1'. And sometimes i feel like am a bit too large on a 390. Have to reduce weight at least by 10kg. But in your case this is the right time to test VW2010's theory of the wheelie before you bulk up.
Old 17th December 2014, 09:02   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Michelin India has replied back saying they have unveiled 150/60-17 rear tyre in Street Radial series and shall be available with all the dealers by Jan-Feb 2015.
Guess I'll take it easy and wait for this. Seems to be an up size model of the already existing Pilot Street Radial series.
Old 17th December 2014, 12:43   #3649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
you should have tested the performance of your bike before and after the weight loss. I am 95kg, 6 1'. And sometimes i feel like am a bit too large on a 390. Have to reduce weight at least by 10kg. But in your case this is the right time to test VW2010's theory of the wheelie before you bulk up.
Lol , I cannot speak for the duke because it was purchased only 2 months back but noticeable improvement observed astride the enfield during acceleration . I did attempt power wheelies(duke) in first gear from a clutchless rolling start of 10kmph but nothing happened .
Old 17th December 2014, 17:06   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Had posted a query to Michelin India about launching of 150/60-17 rear tyre for a Duke & RC series of KTM bikes and voila. Michelin India has replied back saying they have unveiled 150/60-17 rear tyre in Street Radial series and shall be available with all the dealers by Jan-Feb 2015.

Going by current pricing they wont be above 6000INR for a rear and the whole set shall cost a little less than 10,000 INR
Guess this is the same tire that Shumi (Shubhrata Marmar from Overdrive) was testing. He hasn't mentioned any details about the performance of the tires, you can read about it in the long term review of his own Duke 390 in anniversary issue
Old 17th December 2014, 21:39   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Lol , I cannot speak for the duke because it was purchased only 2 months back but noticeable improvement observed astride the enfield during acceleration . I did attempt power wheelies(duke) in first gear from a clutchless rolling start of 10kmph but nothing happened .
Anyways congrats on the weight loss bro. I am checking the import duties for a third party vendor for 47T sprocket. When I fit it I think I can extract a wheelie or two. I am surprised that there are only a few vendors for 390 sprockets. They dont supply it in KTM power parts either.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 22:07   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways congrats on the weight loss bro. I am checking the import duties for a third party vendor for 47T sprocket. When I fit it I think I can extract a wheelie or two. I am surprised that there are only a few vendors for 390 sprockets. They dont supply it in KTM power parts either.
Thank you and speaking of wheelies , I had a minor 'accidental' one today . Made a left turn behind a gypsy and after making sure the road ahead was clear , decided to overtake . I was in first gear doing about 10-15kmph speed (no clutch) and not sure what I did but the bike made a massive revving sound as I applied throttle for the pass, front was off the ground by a foot before immediately coming down as I let go of throttle . I am clueless what I did , this is not even remotely close to the way the bike behaves when I go WOT in first gear and I think I depressed and then released the clutch resulting in the wheelie - I had just left the gym and it was very cold outside , only explanation I can offer myself for this massive brain fade lol .

Do share once the mod if done , I myself wish to change a few things but not engine/performance related . I am considering the aftermarket adjustable brake/clutch lever . Also the grips if I come across a nice pair .
Old 18th December 2014, 08:26   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Yes, KTM warranty policy is quite good so it will be covered. Besides, your bike is still in warranty period. Relax.
Quote:
I have a feeling that you are heading for a long haul on this one.

Save for the bike itself, they changed almost everything in my bike, to rectify a stalling problem. And it is still there .

Also there is a decomp valve problem in the earlier batches. You might as well have a look.
Finally i got the bike on Monday and the Fuel pump was replaced under warranty. They charged me only INR 324, 200 towards breakdown charges and some filter for INR 80 and the rest as taxes. This price for breakdown was just 200 and this was considering that the bike had to be brought in a auto from a place that was a good 6-7kms from the service centre.
Neverrtheless, all is weel with my Duke now.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:36   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you and speaking of wheelies , I had a minor 'accidental' one today . Made a left turn behind a gypsy and after making sure the road ahead was clear , decided to overtake . I was in first gear doing about 10-15kmph speed (no clutch) and not sure what I did but the bike made a massive revving sound as I applied throttle for the pass, front was off the ground by a foot before immediately coming down as I let go of throttle . I am clueless what I did , this is not even remotely close to the way the bike behaves when I go WOT in first gear and I think I depressed and then released the clutch resulting in the wheelie - I had just left the gym and it was very cold outside , only explanation I can offer myself for this massive brain fade lol .

Did you go into second gear? happens a lot of times on my 200, especially when recovering from a speed braker and the road ahead is empty.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:49   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Did you go into second gear? happens a lot of times on my 200, especially when recovering from a speed braker and the road ahead is empty.
I honestly have no idea what happened ( ) because I highly doubt I applied enough throttle in the first place . A wheelie like that is only possible with clutch input . I believe it must have happened as I was in the process of shifting up to second and maybe missed the gear(missed as in remained in first , not neutral ) and left the clutch early and the wheelie happened . A reality check for me .
Old 18th December 2014, 15:26   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Finally i got the bike on Monday and the Fuel pump was replaced under warranty. They charged me only INR 324, 200 towards breakdown charges and some filter for INR 80 and the rest as taxes. This price for breakdown was just 200 and this was considering that the bike had to be brought in a auto from a place that was a good 6-7kms from the service centre.
Neverrtheless, all is weel with my Duke now.
That's really great news any idea how much the fuel pump costs otherwise?
Old 18th December 2014, 17:52   #3657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
That's really great news any idea how much the fuel pump costs otherwise?
cost me Rs. 3350 on my Duke 200.
Old 19th December 2014, 11:33   #3658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
cost me Rs. 3350 on my Duke 200.
Thanks man. I'm hoping the 390 pump will be correspondingly priced too.
Old 21st December 2014, 00:32   #3659
BHPian

What are things to watch out for, before buying a used 390 other than usual suspects tyres, forks, handelbar, etc.
One of the 390 had speedo issues, ie wasnt showing speed even thought mid is on and the owner is ready to reduce 2k on that.. Is it a trivial issue?

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 21st December 2014 at 00:34.
Old 21st December 2014, 02:16   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
What are things to watch out for, before buying a used 390 other than usual suspects tyres, forks, handelbar, etc.
One of the 390 had speedo issues, ie wasnt showing speed even thought mid is on and the owner is ready to reduce 2k on that.. Is it a trivial issue?
Odo reading and warranty period left ?

It is hard to judge whether speedo issue is trivial or not , it is possible there is something off with the display/processing unit than requires a complete replacement . Outside warranty (which given the bike is just over an year old is unlikely ) it will cost significant sum to replace the display unit . Also why didn't the owner didn't get it fixed himself - he maybe lazy and didn't feel like it ( I myself when I purchased an old enfield rode around with a defective speedo for 3 months ) or maybe he encountered difficulty getting it fixed . I personally if I am trying to sell a bike will make sure all contact points are in tip top shape .

Find an empty stretch and check the power delivery by going WOT in first 3 gears . You can redline at 105kmph in 3rd , how long it takes to reach (a rough idea , Ideally it hits 100 in 5.5sec and it will be difficult to tell the difference between 5.5/6 and 7/8sec , riding another 390 preferably a new one will serve as benchmark ) and also whether there are any flat spots present . My own bike for example when new used to pull like crazy ,it still accelerates like a rocket but I have observed(just 1600km odo ) a distinct flat spot around 5k rpm that as per a fellow experienced owner can be rectified by changing fuel filter - to explain what I mean , say I am riding in 3rd gear and speed/rpm dropped for whatever reason to 5k rpm , before throttle response was immediate from that mark but now the bikes takes a good second to gulp for air and fuel before starting to gain speed and in a somewhat lackluster manner(relatively speaking ) .

A common observation of many owners here is the chain set/sprocket needs replacement once the bike has hit the 10k km mark , some have observed uneven wear and tear at 8k mark , some at 15k . No idea about cost of replacement .

Observe closely the engine head area for any sign of oil leak .

Last edited by basuroy : 21st December 2014 at 02:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks