Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st June 2006, 13:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Any feedback on Yamaha Gladiator?

The new Yamaha Gladiator looks very stunning and a serious contender in the 125cc segment!
Anybody had a chance to test drive it? If so, can we have the first impressions?

Last edited by finneyp : 1st June 2006 at 13:21.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 18:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
The new Yamaha Gladiator looks very stunning and a serious contender in the 125cc segment!
Anybody had a chance to test drive it? If so, can we have the first impressions?
Its just a faser clone. Please avoid this bike. Nothing to write home about it. They believe that John Abraham will sell for them, while he rides a Hayabusa. Will he ever touch a gladiator?? Yamaha has lost its charm in india. I just hate these mosquito bikes
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 21:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Old wine in new bottle. :(

Anyone got news abt Heat?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 22:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its very much like the G5. No big deal, just another commuter bike, not for the performance oriented guys. Looks real dull too...
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Its very much like the G5. No big deal, just another commuter bike, not for the performance oriented guys. Looks real dull too...
I will agree with karthik, this is what the feedback i got from my friend who brought this bike last weeeeek.
bike_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Its just a faser clone. Please avoid this bike. Nothing to write home about it. They believe that John Abraham will sell for them, while he rides a Hayabusa. Will he ever touch a gladiator?? Yamaha has lost its charm in india. I just hate these mosquito bikes
John cannot ride any bike other than Yamaha during his contract period. May be he can park Hayabusa in his garage and have a dream of riding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
All bikes <15 BHP are commuter bikes and this is another addition to it. Went to the showroom to have a look but could not manage a test ride... Surely the plastics , fit and finish are top notch in its class (Better than honda shine , Victor 125 and Discover).
Nothing major Yamaha has done, downsized the fazer engine and gave the front a G5 look. Mag wheels are not present which is a big minus.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
John cannot ride any bike other than Yamaha during his contract period. May be he can park Hayabusa in his garage and have a dream of riding it.

John will certainly ride a yamaha, but it will be a R1 or some superbike, definately not one of our indian chunky bikes

All bikes <15 BHP are commuter bikes and this is another addition to it. Went to the showroom to have a look but could not manage a test ride... Surely the plastics , fit and finish are top notch in its class (Better than honda shine , Victor 125 and Discover).
Nothing major Yamaha has done, downsized the fazer engine and gave the front a G5 look. Mag wheels are not present which is a big minus.
When are we gonna have a >15BHP cool bike?? Hope it happens before I get old..........

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd June 2006 at 15:18.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
When are we gonna have a >15BHP cool bike?? Hope it happens before I get old..........
no worry mail4ajo, all u need is money if u have then go and buy whichever bike u want ( from abroad)and one secret ducati launched it's new bike and named it DESMOSEDICI RR, i think there is no market for greater BHP bikes in india, if u want more BHP u have to modify it to extract last bit of juice
devsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:14   #9
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th August 2006 at 20:24.
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2006, 08:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Valid reasons are needed to say the bike is not good or if the bike is good.

What's wrong if it shares the engine with the 125cc fazer and the granddad YBX? lets not compare it with those bikes with which it doesnt compete.

Gladiator's 125cc engine is competing with Bajaj Discover, Honda shine, TVs victor 125 and Suzuki;s latest entrant.

Just check the build quality with any other bike including Honda and you will see the difference. Atleast this is one department that Yamaha has improved big time after the recent rx models that completely fell apart without a proper PDI. That 125cc engine which every1 is complaining about is actually very good for its class. If I am not wrong its the same YBX engine with some major updates.

If looking at 125cc bikes then Gladiator atleast makes an impact.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd June 2006 at 08:27.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 08:59   #11
BHPian

Well Devarshi, you would probably stop to consider that we Indians were finally promised a good-looking 150 cc bike in the Gladiator (which we were all eagerly waiting for).

Obviously bikers are disapponted abt the Gladiator that we are getting (and again with a 125 cc motor).

And you guys made a very valid point when you said Abraham would ride any superbike but advertises for toddler bikes here.

Yamaha made 2-wheel drive bikes outside India and dominate MOTOGP, but still give us just commuters...Any news of the Fazer 250?
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 09:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Point1. The starter of this thread asked what we all think about gladiator 125 and I gave my honest opinion.

point2. Gladiator not being 150cc is not a disadvantage. If that's the case I guess all the bikes below 150cc are kiddo vehicles for you. But believe me they make much more sense as commuter vehicles with high Mileage efficiency.

I understand your frustration about the 150cc gladiator not being in the markets. But Yamaha is sure working on this one. launching a 125cc variant is just a market ing strategy to capture market share on gladiator's design popularity which I see as a very good market strategy.

point 3. I understand you are talking about John Abraham who earns crores in one movie. He can afford a superbike and he can afford the fuel and maintainence for it. Even I would love to own one. But I am more sensible and with the price of petrol shattering the roof I would prefer staying sub 200cc in India. Don't compare a normal Middle-class(Lower or upper) with John Abraham. Otherwise it would be me and you selling a Yamaha instead of him. And lemme just remind you of John Abraham's recent Hospital visit for boasting of his bikes power within the city. While he is 32, imagine what chaos irresponsible teenagers will create. It's not the MotoGp market Yamaha is catering to but the Indian families.

lets look at reality the way it is. Gladiator 125 is one of the best in 125cc segment.

comparing it with 150cc and above is not a right thing.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 4th June 2006 at 09:44.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 13:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Old wine in new bottle. :(

Anyone got news abt Heat?

Heat, i have driven, good bike in the 125cc segment, dunno bout f.e, smooth, very re-fined engine. nuthin much spectular bout it, but its got amazing torque for a 125cc class.

N also since everybo0dy says bout the 15bhp Gald 150cc Yam, Two verison were displayed on the Auto show , the street version n sporty. The street version looks mean, n sporty wid the underseat exhaust n so on, The sporty version boasts bout 15 bhp (F.I sys) , they say. But im having doubts on the sporty verion's release, im 50% sure its just a concept they bulit, 50 % it may come out. Street version will come, caz its time yam comes out wid a 150cc.
n John baba , they use him caz hes under a 3 yr contract wid yam products. when he has zx 12r, why is he gonna touch a 125 or 150 cc bike???? its just for adversting , n thats all.

n yeah reg the gald 125, i test drove it, its kinda good biek n also wid 5 speed gear sys. Its just a fazer's engine. just the dome n few stuff has been changed. anywayz, ill be waiting for the 250cc fazer to come out , i know its a long wait, but will wait.

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2006 at 10:42.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 16:03   #14
BHPian

I always liked the Fazer in the 125 segment and now that they have added a five speed gear box to it and better fairing it must be even better. This is the best 125cc bike i rode. And les not compare with 150cc bikes.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 14:07   #15

the gladiator comes across as a a very well refined and well engineered bike in the 125cc segment. it has a fifth cog, electric starter, highbeam flasher n sum more goodies too offer. It is a nimble handler with solid agile chassis n excellent ride quality. it is well planted on the street n surely also scores decently in the looks section when compared to all other 125s like, victorGLX,HH Super Splendor, Shine, Suzuki's [YUCK], or any other 125.i wud say, only Discover wud come close to it in looks deparment. wer it lacks is, the torque is less n a less peppy engine hence. so though the rideability is good in traffic, i think Discover is much more fun n rev happy in the city traffic. Ridin posture is also one of the finest on the Gladiator. N as it is launched in the 125cc segment, it serves the purpose of its segemnt of being a econimical stylish commuter for the executive class. i think its a good job done for its Class. yes it is a Fazer powerplant in it, but the 5th gear has made sum positive difference n so has d new bikini fairing ! n da best part is, once astride the Yamaha, u dont get the feelin that u are on one of those puny 125s. it has a 150cc bike feel ! ride it n see for urself !
speedin' angel is offline   Reply With Quote