Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th September 2014, 20:33   #106

Default Re: KTM RC390 - Now Launched for Rs. 2.05 lakhs

I saw the live launch on youtube. The second presenter Amit (bald guy) was so under prepared and stuttering. Plus this guy was so arrogant in answering questions.
One reporter asked about heating issues and metal cracking issues in D390.
This dude had balls to say that these are liquid cooled engines and we(as in Indian consumer) do not have experience in using liquid cooled engines. So he is shifting blame on us. He did not answer the question about cracking issues and simply said we have not heard of such issues. What a moron. He also did not answer question about waiting period for deliveries.
I expected KTM to be more professional when launching such landmark bikes.
vegi_tiger is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:06   #107
BHPian

In my mind, the RC 390 does compete with a Ninja, not least because it shares the same showroom space. For someone looking to buy a (semi?) premium bike, this was always a dilemma - plonk 4 lacs on the well known Ninja brand or settle for the lesser known Dukes?

I took my wife and 3 year old son to the KTM showroom, and I asked them.My son looked at the Ninja and said "Vroom Vroom". He looked at the Duke and said " Vroom Vroom ". Essentially he liked both. I asked my wife and she immediately said the Ninja. And then she asked the price for both, and was then less confident. She then looked up at the wall which had a huge RC 390 poster and said that looked good too. " Price?" . "Around 20 K more than the KTM Duke, madam". She turns to me and says " The Ninja doesn't look twice as expensive as the RC, it does look twice as better than the Duke but not this one on the poster". "When is this RC coming then?".

I guess for people like me all faired bikes are on a comparison list; the RC and the Ninja being on top of the list.
nishsingh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 09:08   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I

I took my wife and 3 year old son to the KTM showroom, and I asked them.My son looked at the Ninja and said "Vroom Vroom". He looked at the Duke and said " Vroom Vroom ". Essentially he liked both. I asked my wife and she immediately said the Ninja. And then she asked the price for both, and was then less confident. She then looked up at the wall which had a huge RC 390 poster and said that looked good too. " Price?" . "Around 20 K more than the KTM Duke, madam". She turns to me and says " The Ninja doesn't look twice as expensive as the RC, it does look twice as better than the Duke but not this one on the poster". "When is this RC coming then?".
Well said, I couldn't agree more. The Ninja 300 is good and there is no doubt about it but is that good to command a premium of 2L, I don't think so.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 10th September 2014 at 09:10.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 09:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
OT!!
Dear Urban_Nomad,

R25 is a parallel twin, please do a bit more research before posting.

This is a forum where people are allowed to have their opinions and discuss them
Thanks for the advise. I recommend the same to you. It is widely speculated (on this forum and others) that Yamaha in all probability will go the single way for the India bound machine

I'm no Zeus and don't mean to strike anyone down. I will not hesitate to discuss a point with fellow brethren here. Sometimes our passions take over the good guy in us and we become keyboard warriors. Don't mean no harm though

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Brother, first your tone is too offensive.
I agree. I re read my post and felt it could have been written in a tone that was not as aggressive. My apologies if you felt bad

Quote:
Second you realy lost me on this line(highlighted). First get the facts straight and then go on with allegations like "fan-boy" and stuff. Its a twin cylinder and that's why I compared it to N300.
I think you meant to say "that's why I did NOT compare it to N300(?). You have clearly mentioned in your earlier post that the RC cannot be compared to the N300

And this is what I cannot agree with. I ask again, so what if there's one extra cylinder? Both are quite evenly matched when it comes to performance. It's another thing that the green one's price sits somewhere up in the stratosphere

A quick search on this very forum would show you people comparing these 2 quite often. Heck, folks compared this to the inazuma as well. Auto journos all over the world compare these two every day

So my question does remain, ie why should the RC not be compared to the ninja?

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/yamaha-...iled-indonesia

If you read the post again without the bias(that your post shouts of) you will know I actually pointed out yamaha to be a bike maker who doesnt give us better bikes(land of snake-charmers reference...rings a bell?).
Sure. But you also declared that it's the R25 that will be the real competition without as much as laying an eye on one. Snake charmer or not, this is a fanboy comment, period.

I'm very well aware of the Indonesian R25 being a twin. A quick internet search on this forum or otherwise would show you multiple speculations around the yammie being a single. And the more I think about it the more it makes sense. What's stopping Yamaha to bring a production model to India? Instead, they go ahead and launch this in Vietnam. I mean c'mon

I speculate that in all probability they are working on getting the single right for India. I will be happy though if that's not the case

Quote:
Secondly, I said twin is a twin and single is a single. Never said one is better and other is inferior. Its just that both are different.

And I wont even try to guess who is showcasing fanboyism. I rest my case. For further discussion please use the feature called PM.
I'm gonna hazard a guess here though. It's me! I'm the fanboy

But herein lies the difference. I turned a fanboy after Having experienced the Duke 390 first hand, not by looking at pictures on the internet. I'm actually s ktm and a Bajaj fanboy. These 2 have come together and given this performance starved Indian a world class product at a price point no one ever expected

Other manufacturers continue to price their products exorbitantly, in many different guises, such as of no. of cylinders (2 cylinders will ALWAYS be more expensive than one). Only in India however this analogy seems to be true. Rest of the world sees ktm singles selling at a premium over their multi cylinder competition. Case in point - the inazuma is much cheaper than the 390 in the international market despite being a single. But here, it's a different story

Now why does this happen? Because we lap up this marketing crap with arms wide open. A similar analogy here would be Honda cars a few years back. Zero equipment, much higher priced than competition. If you asked why the puny 1.2 litre jazz hatch was so exorbitantly priced, you would get a response like "quality components" to "the hatch door needs to be very sturdy and we spend a lot of money on that". I kid you not, do a quick search on t-bhp itself. Competition caught on and look at the scenario today. The city comes loaded with equipment and Indian diesel suddenly is not too bad in quality

The competition will catch up with these bike manufacturers too ............. If we let it. We continue to be fanboys without a cause, these guys keep dumping their 3rd world stuff here

Last edited by noopster : 10th September 2014 at 11:25. Reason: Check PM
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:48   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Yamaha in all probability will go the single way for the India bound machine
These are rumors, no..? Now Yamaha will have to develop a single 250 when they already have a twin 250. Logically, I think they will go with the twin. Have they anywhere brought the R25 with a single? (Unaware as to in which countries have they launched the R25) Will this be India specific, will it provide the volumes to justify making a single 250?

Quote:
Sometimes our passions take over the good guy in us and we become keyboard warriors. Don't mean no harm though
Right, but this is when we have to drop the anchors. KTM's ABS might prove better than the non ABS Japs.

Quote:
I think you meant to say "that's why I did NOT compare it to N300(?). You have clearly mentioned in your earlier post that the RC cannot be compared to the N300
In my books, the RC is an out and out a track bike. N 300, R25 etc are very good compromise bikes, they can tour, commute & go to tracks with almost equal aplomb. RC has only one agenda. Not that it can't do other duties, but going by reports, it just has this one target. Faster lap times.

Quote:
So my question does remain, ie why should the RC not be compared to the ninja?

Quote:
I speculate that in all probability they are working on getting the single right for India. I will be happy though if that's not the case
If we had some excise benefits or something, I would have bought this thought. But as mentioned earlier, developing it just for India? Beats me. I might be proven wrong in due course of time, but there are no losers here :-)

Quote:
But herein lies the difference. I turned a fanboy after Having experienced the Duke 390 first hand, not by looking at pictures on the internet. I'm actually s ktm and a Bajaj fanboy. These 2 have come together and given this performance starved Indian a world class product at a price point no one ever expected

Other manufacturers continue to price their products exorbitantly, in many different guises, such as of no. of cylinders (2 cylinders will ALWAYS be more expensive than one). Only in India however this analogy seems to be true. Rest of the world sees ktm singles selling at a premium over their multi cylinder competition. Case in point - the inazuma is much cheaper than the 390 in the international market despite being a single. But here, it's a different story

The competition will catch up with these bike manufacturers too ............. If we let it. We continue to be fanboys without a cause, these guys keep dumping their 3rd world stuff here
You get what you pay for
Quote:
If it is cheap and reliable, it's not fast.....If it's fast and cheap, it's not reliable.....If it's reliable and fast, it's not Cheap!
How many of the recently launched bikes have wheel, fork, gasket, cooling & other multiple issues apart from the KTM? Search for them, I bet you know quite a few.

How many RC8's are sold worldwide wrt to its immediate competition and how many Super Dukes? There are reasons why blokes prefer other bikes over it. Yes, sure, as far as off roaders go, it is quite popular & deservedly so, but not at every place.

Competition is always better. And at the end of the day we chose to ride, become ONE our ride, let us celebrate motorcycle and riding

Last edited by Sheel : 10th September 2014 at 10:51.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:32   #111
BHPian

Just checking through reviews, and it seems that the foreign press does compare the RC 390 and the Ninja.

"Its other closest current competitor, Kawasaki's Ninja 300R, is trounced by the RC 390's specs, and the ABS version is more expensive, at £5,199." - VisorDown

"Baby Ninjas and CBRs beware, as there’s a new weapon in town for low-cost corner scratching." - Cycleworld

Maybe it's the price difference and the brand perception here that makes most of us feel they are in a different class.

As for me, I know would definitely love to wake up to the feeling of knowing that there is a Ninja in my garage. Not so much for the Duke. For the RC? I believe that the feeling of owning an RC would come pretty close to owning a Ninja. For half the price, I think I know now where my next bonus is going.

Last edited by nishsingh : 10th September 2014 at 11:35.
nishsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Not sure if a riser will be helpful here. The handlebar design of the RC is such that it is a part of the upper triple tree clamp. I dont think we can even classify these handlebars as a clip-on. And I think for going for a set of raised bars we will have to change the triple tree too!
Not at all actually. I don't see what the difficulty is. As long as you have a set of top bolts, anthing is possible. Including a new top clamp, if needed. Though one could easily use this same one - just without the handle elements in the split ends (left empty as bolted blanks).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing that RC200/RC390 is a 'track' bike for a long time now. As per Wiki, following are the tracks in India:

Permanent tracks
  • Buddh International Circuit, National Capital Region
  • Irungattukottai Race Track, Chennai
  • Kari Motor Speedway, Coimbatore
Inactive tracks
  • Sholavaram Airstrip, North Chennai
3 in South, 1 in Delhi. Don't know how many of these allow bikes or have track sunday for bikes.

Then which utility does this bike satisfy? Racing on nicely laid public roads? Long distance touring with 9.5L tank is a novelty, if that's the case. I am curious to know buyers' view.

P200/CBR250/Ninja300 can be used for touring as well. Duke twins are used for solo touring and off roading (even though it is not mainly intended for that). But where does a dedicated track bike fit in Indian scenario, when there are no tracks?!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 14:38   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Duke twins are used for solo touring and off roading (even though it is not mainly intended for that). But where does a dedicated track bike fit in Indian scenario, when there are no tracks?!
Like you said, the Duke Twins double up for off roading. I am guessing that the prospective buyers are hoping that the RCs will double up as impressive city bikes. I guess we will have to wait and see what the reviews say on the practicality front.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:23   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hearing that RC200/RC390 is a 'track' bike for a long time now. As per Wiki, following are the tracks in India:

Permanent tracks
Inactive tracks
3 in South, 1 in Delhi. Don't know how many of these allow bikes or have track sunday for bikes.

Then which utility does this bike satisfy? Racing on nicely laid public roads? Long distance touring with 9.5L tank is a novelty, if that's the case. I am curious to know buyers' view.

P200/CBR250/Ninja300 can be used for touring as well. Duke twins are used for solo touring and off roading (even though it is not mainly intended for that). But where does a dedicated track bike fit in Indian scenario, when there are no tracks?!
Every bike will belong to a particular classification. Adventure tourers, MX, supermoto, sports, super sports, hyper sports etc.. The classification merely indicates that the bike will perform best in a particular condition. That doesn't mean you will be able to ride a 1199 Panigale ONLY on a race track or an R1200GS can be ONLY used for touring and light trails, they can even be used as a commuter bikes. Its all a matter of our perspectives. Admit it, we all have came across guys who extensively tour with the sporty posture of the R15, with the hard suspension and seats of the Duke, and even with all the creature comforts offered by a Royal Enfield or a CBR and yet that stupid grin all of them had at that end of the ride were all too similar. The point is to pick up the bike that appeals to you and suits your requirement and your body and mind will automatically adjust to the nature of the bike your heart craved for. Adaptation is the very basic and the best of human natures.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 10th September 2014 at 15:30. Reason: jaba!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:34   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Permanent tracks
Inactive tracks

Looking at it from the customers side.
If we don't get a particular type of bike(crusier,sports,off roader etc) , we tend to crib saying that we don't have options and have to do with what is available by modifying it for track or whatever purpose you intend to use it for.

Or,

We do have different types of bikes, but they are in a price bracket that the majority of us cannot afford.

I am happy with what the bike manufacturers are giving us. We have different type of bikes intended to use for different purposes and in different price brackets.

I do agree with the fact that we do not have too many race tracks, but from what I know , KTM themselves and other groups frequently organize track days so these bikes are used in a way that they are actually meant to be used.

Now, there will be buyers who are waiting for sports bikes like the RC twins fully knowing it is a race bike and ready to hit the tracks without having to do anything on the bike and they will make use of it.
And,
there will be buyers who may not know it is a ready to race bike and buy it for public road use . It is their choice.
So its just that , the Indian buyers are getting spoilt for choice and I think its a good thing.

Last edited by tharian : 10th September 2014 at 15:38.
tharian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You get what you pay for How many of the recently launched bikes have wheel, fork, gasket, cooling & other multiple issues apart from the KTM? Search for them, I bet you know quite a few.
How many of the recently launched bikes offer you Metzelers, USD WP tech forks, trelllis frame, alloy swingarms, dual disc ABS, 44 bhp and a 170+ top speed with a still decent 25-30 kmpl fuel mileage in 200,000 rupees?

Quote:
How many RC8's are sold worldwide wrt to its immediate competition and how many Super Dukes? There are reasons why blokes prefer other bikes over it.
They are known as exotics the world over. And temperamental high maintenance ones at that. And are priced accordingly. Oftentimes more than the BMWs and Ducatis as well. The Japs are way cheaper to buy and live with.

Not saying the KTMs are the faultless. But equally there are other reasons why their road bikes are not high sellers abroad.

In India the pricing makes the big difference.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th September 2014 at 16:00.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 16:21   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are rumors, no..?
Yes they are. But there is some credibility here. How else do you explain Yamaha not launching a production ready bike in India, while they are absolutely at home launching the same in Vietnam. We may not be on the top for Yamaha's revenue stream but I can say with certainty, we are a bigger market than Viet-friggin-Nam (No offense meant to Viet-Friggin-Nam)

Quote:
Right, but this is when we have to drop the anchors. KTM's ABS might prove better than the non ABS Japs.

Quote:
But as mentioned earlier, developing it just for India? Beats me. I might be proven wrong in due course of time, but there are no losers here :-)
This is one of those rare times when I hope I am proven wrong. But the more I think about it, the more it seems that the India bound bike will feature a single. Ask yourself, why the delay if everything is ready?

Quote:
You get what you pay for How many of the recently launched bikes have wheel, fork, gasket, cooling & other multiple issues apart from the KTM? Search for them, I bet you know quite a few.
As a Duke 390 owner who has visited the workshop a few times and seeing Ninjas (mostly 250s) regularly share space with the KTMs, I have a few observations I would like to share. But first I would like to clarify that I never insinuated / prophesied the RC 390 being the bomb and a far superior product than anything else currently on the market or any other product thats on its way to being launched. The whole discussion started when another member mentioned the RC not being comparable to the Ninjette, simply because it had one cylinder less & that the R25 would be the only "true blue competition" to the Kwacker.

Now, a list of issues / niggles I have observed with my Duke:

- Front sprocket replacement
This job was carried out under warranty as a part of recall. Time spent at the workshop - 30 minutes

- Front brake assembly replacement

Since the very first service, I was complaining of spongy brakes. The system was bled multiple times but the problem still persisted. Then the master cylinder was replaced. Things got better but the same issue reared its head after a couple or so weeks (or maybe things only improved in my mind)

Furious, I called the Bajaj engineer (different, more "hi-tech" fella than the regular service center staff) and complained about the issue. A couple of KTM service guys came to my place and took the bike for "testing" for a couple of days (I refused to go to the service center on a bike that had crappy brakes). I get the bike back, some improvement (they replaced some other part that I cannot recollect). A month goes by & ....... you guessed it, brakes are spongy again. I went to the service center last week (again keeping teh service engineer and some higher ups at Bajaj in loop) and demanded a resolution. First, they changed a piston. No joy. Bled the system again. Nada!

The service center incharge comes over for an inspection and goes, replace the entire front assembly (lever, master cylinder). Voila, it works. And not "Its a little better than before" sort of thing but "Holy Hell, where have you been all my life" better. Cost incurred - Nil. Heartache - Yes!!!

Every time I visited the service center, A Ninja 250 would almost always be around. Here is a list of some of the jobs that were being carried out:

- An HR26 registered Ninjette had to get its injectors replaced as the owner did not ride it too much and she was mostly parked in the driveway. IIRC, the Ninja has 4 injectors and again IIRC all 4 had to be replaced at a cost of Rs 10,000 per injector + labour. Parts were ordered and were expected to arrive in a month
- A Rajasthan registered Ninjette (still at the gurgaon center) has a busted fuel pump. Did not enquire the cost but the service incharge advised that it will probably be October before the parts arrive. The bike has been at the service center since mid of August

Now say what you will about KTMs, but:

- Parts are readily available
- They are relatively cheap

Even the service cost is not too bad. The second free service cost me Rs 2200. I think a normal cost for a regular service of a Ninja goes over the 6k mark easy. N_Aditya's wonderfully documented thread was a revelation of how much these bikes cost just for normal maintenance. And if you crash one, my my!!! IIRC, the fairing (one side only) of the N250 costs around 14k. Chainset is around Rs 10k? Do you think the service guys would be as blasť about replacing parts and bits on a Ninja?

I find the cost of service and parts exorbitant. Or maybe I am just poor

I will gladly take the little niggles the KTM has. And do remember, Ninja has been around since donkey's years. The 390 is a baby as far as product life cycle is concerned. There may be issues, but I have an enthusiastic & responsive service staff who is there to help me out. And none of the issues are deal breakers for me.

I am deeply concerned about the alloy wheel issue though. I hope Bajaj is listening at does something about it

Quote:
How many RC8's are sold worldwide wrt to its immediate competition and how many Super Dukes
I am not qualified to speak for the RC 8. But current sales always do not paint a picture of how potent a product is. These inline 4s are what you and I have grown up fantasizing about, & we can thank their presence in Moto GP for that I think.

RC 8 is a product that arrived on the scene as late as 2010 (not taking into account the 2005 prototype). Its just taking its baby steps now. But the fact that you and I know about it and are talking about it and comparing it with the Jap biggies, KTM must be doing something right. With my limited intelligence, I think KTM is doing the right thing by participating (& doing very well!!) in the Moto 3 racing.

Quote:
Competition is always better, let us celebrate motorcycle and riding

Quote:
I am hearing that RC200/RC390 is a 'track' bike for a long time now.

But where does a dedicated track bike fit in Indian scenario, when there are no tracks?!
LOL, excellent post. Very well put. Peeps down south are very lucky to have excellent tracks where they can ride quite regularly at a reasonable price (Kari speedway - Rs 4k for an entire day, including lunch). Try calling up the Apex racing academy people. Wonderful folks there. Lucky, lucky bretheren we have down south

For northies like myself, its wake up real early and head to some of the better roads we have here. Such as:

India gate - For some cornering action, head towards the India gate and have fun on the roundabouts enroute

Gurgaon Faridabad road - Nice clear straightways with some mild corners. Watch out for those sheep and cattle though

DND flyway & Greater Noida expressway - Excellent straights, with the latter having a legal speed limit of 100 kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Like you said, the Duke Twins double up for off roading. I am guessing that the prospective buyers are hoping that the RCs will double up as impressive city bikes.
No doubt the RC would predominantly be used as a city bike. Some brave souls might tour on it as well but it would be interesting to see how luggage gets strapped onto that rear seat.

But I have never understood how the Duke twins are even considered for off roading. Sure, KTM has a history of making excellent supermotos, enduros and dirt bikes but the Duke is not one. Its a streetfighter. An offroad bike should have:

- Looooooong suspension travel. IIRC, the duke only has 15 cms of front suspension travel
- Off road knobbies or at least dual sport tires. The dukes come fitted with street tyres. Especially the 390 which has uber soft Metzelers
- Strong alloys if not (ideally) spoked rims. We have all heard / read comparisons of the Duke's alloys to toothpicks

Actually, I strongly feel that this off road usage may well be the reason for the issue surrounding bent / cracked rims on the duke. But I am not going to cover up for the manufacturer. Its their job to clarify on the issue, not mine

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 10th September 2014 at 16:46.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 17:21   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the duke only has 15 cms of front suspension travel
And the RC has only 12.5

That and an even sharper rake.

More cracked rims?

Last edited by ebonho : 10th September 2014 at 17:23.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 17:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
No doubt the RC would predominantly be used as a city bike. Some brave souls might tour on it as well but it would be interesting to see how luggage gets strapped onto that rear seat.
Indeed. Am wondering where the grab rails for the Indian version are? The grooves under the seat like they have in the European versions (the one that Overdrive has a video of on YouTube)?

Also, towards the end of the KTM RC launch presentation in India, they had a slide on customization; essentially there seemed to be two options - Style and Race.
Does anyone have any further information on what these customization options are?
Attached Thumbnails
KTM RC390 - Now Launched for Rs. 2.05 lakhs-screenshot_20140910174133.png  

Last edited by nishsingh : 10th September 2014 at 17:50.