Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 21st August 2013, 15:48   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My guess is if RE is priced at >5L it would definitely be without niggles.
That argument doesn't hold good with me. If a 50k Hero/Honda can be niggle free what's stopping a near 2L RE from that. It's more to to do with the mindset of the company rather than anything else. And the Indian consumer lapping up the poor man's Harley like there's no tomorrow doesn't help in changing it either.

A Harley is a different beast all together. They are virtually niggle free today. When one sits on one and feels the solid chrome and metal, and revs up the turbulence, its a feeling best left experienced than described... Sorry for the rant.

Name:  .Logan_29_m.jpg
Views: 4590
Size:  24.6 KB

Last edited by dkaile : 21st August 2013 at 15:49.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That argument doesn't hold good with me. If a 50k Hero/Honda can be niggle free what's stopping a near 2L RE from that. It's more to to do with the mindset of the company rather than anything else. And the Indian consumer lapping up the poor man's Harley like there's no tomorrow doesn't help in changing it either.
I will be the last person supporting RE. And i own a RE for last 9 years . Having said that all i am saying is that HD are not the niggle free ones and do not assume that. Of the three my rank of reliability and niggle free ride would be 650>Harley. And RE is actually a highly reliable bike. 9 years and all i do is fill her up with gas and oil and ride the living hell out of the machine and still runs fine.

Again what you define as niggle is important. Reliability wise HD has improved a lot but they are no where close to a Kawasaki or Honda. And the same goes as a reason for calling RE as Indian Harley
Old 21st August 2013, 17:08   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
They are virtually niggle free today. When one sits on one and feels the solid chrome and metal, and revs up the turbulence, its a feeling best left experienced than described... Sorry for the rant.
Mate,
Think you are in a wrong world Have seen a brand new HD with a dead clutch, a failed throttle sensor & to rub salt with a failed tire. All duly done under warranty he steps out of the service station with a failed regulator.

Another Brand new HD, on a 900 km ride lets go at the welding of silencers. Result the hot escaping gases mar the paint on the chassis.

Another seasoned HD, on the same 900 km ride has a problem with the rear wheel bearing and had to lifted to the nearest town.

With all due respects I would say HD does make bikes. Whether they are reliable is another question. They do invest in a lot of pomp and show (with all chrome) but reliability is not in the top order.

Please do not take me wrong these have all been my experiences riding with my Harley Buddies.
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 17:50   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Whether they are reliable is another question. They do invest in a lot of pomp and show (with all chrome) but reliability is not in the top order.
Not contesting you there mate. If only reliability was in my mind I would have gone blindly with the Ninja. But there is more to bikes than just that and for me the Harley has a soul which these modern bikes lack. And I doubt if I would ever be going on a 900km journey on it, not frequently anyways. It is going to remain a low mileage bike with me as it is never going to the primary mode of transportation for me.

It is a very well built bike as per the feedbacks of my Meerut Harley Club members and I would like to believe things coming out from the horse's mouth rather than otherwise, and there are 10 of them here all of which are zero errors, exceptions always being there like the case you are quoting. So I believe I am in the right world. Even with the Skoda I own there have been large hue and cry even on our own forum regarding its build quality, reliability and ASC. But my experience has been near perfect with it and I believe the same will be the case with the Harley. Sometimes it is more a case of neighbour's envy and owner's pride with such brands. So wish me luck...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st August 2013 at 17:58.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:00   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not contesting you there mate. If only reliability was in my mind I would have gone blindly with the Ninja. But there is more to bikes than just that and for me the Harley has a soul which these modern bikes lack. And I doubt if I would ever be going on a 900km journey on it, not frequently anyways. It is going to remain a low mileage bike with me.
Would definitely agree with your statement that the Jap Bikes lack character. They do the job effortlessly with no added flavors. But yes Harleys do have a lot of character no second thoughts on that.

For sure being a motorcyclist myself i would not bode ill for the Harley Brethren mate, so rest assured my best wishes will always be there for you and the bike

Yes many a time its true (neighbor's envy owner's pride). Take care and have a rocking time ahead. How much is the difference between the 2013 & 2014 models? If you can get the 2014 it would be a good step up considering a few features which really come in handy like the Tacho for instance.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 18:06   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
How much is the difference between the 2013 & 2014 models? If you can get the 2014 it would be a good step up considering a few features which really come in handy like the Tacho for instance.
Thanks for the best wishes. It is not clear yet about when the 2014 models will be launched here but going by the US prices it will surely take a jump of about 50k to a lakh without ABS, that being another 50-60k option. The tacho will be displayed in the digital readout line space and presumably hard to read which may very well turn out to be quite useless as far as I can make out from the initial reports.

Last edited by dkaile : 21st August 2013 at 18:08.
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:03   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Do check this thread

7. Visit the showroom, find people who ride them-- see what you an afford and then buy a bike that suits you. Choose wisely- the frame of the bike should suit you- Many times I see 5'10" people buying a Super Low or an Iron883. its just a disaster.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...-2013-a-2.html (My Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom - Arrived in Jan 2013)
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:32   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Choose wisely- the frame of the bike should suit you- Many times I see 5'10" people buying a Super Low or an Iron883. its just a disaster.
That's a very valid point. But budgetary constraints are stopping me from going for the Fat Bob which is my favourite Harley. Maybe a few years down the line. Till then maybe a forward footpeg control will be added if I see issues on the 'rare' long drives. It is mostly going in for short burst drives most of the times. I heard it is only after a couple of hundred kms that longer riders start feeling cramped on the 883 Sportsters.

Here's a short look on the 'blackened' 2014 Fat Bob

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd August 2013 at 19:37.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

Fat Bob or fat boy.

If you like it so much save some more and pick the fat Bob a little later.

Its good to own a Harley. I will own a >1l bike in the future. Now I will have 2-3 bikes making the 1litre
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:14   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Fat Bob or fat boy.

If you like it so much save some more and pick the fat Bob a little later.

Its good to own a Harley. I will own a >1l bike in the future. Now I will have 2-3 bikes making the 1litre
It's not a matter of saving. It's a matter of mental budget. Let me try out my 1st Harley for a few years. Then will make a decision to a bigger Harley which I still find very impractical for our roads. Even a 900cc bike is an overkill.

So which one are you picking up? Duke 390?
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:42   #146
BHPian

Hi dkaile, my two cents

Quote:
I have a budget of upto 5~6 Lacs and am looking for a bike to chase away my mid-life blues... lolz. I am 45, 6', 95 kgs. I have shortlisted Ninja 650, Harley Superlow 883, Duke 390 and RE Thunderbird 500/Classic 500, in that order.
Looking at this statement I would have suggested a good per owned worshipped superlow 883 would have been my recommendation. Per owned because of pricing and that you can easily DYI the bikes service as it would most probably be out of the 2 year warranty and all basic parts will be available online or in Meerut itself.

Quote:
But the ground clearance of the Superlow is a little hampering factor in the back of my mind, especially if I 'ever' decide to drive down to Leh on it.
Reading this I realised how we both were thinking in the same lines however if you do plan to ride down to Leh-Ladakh. An MT01, FZ1 or CB1k may be a better bet. I think 08/09 Indian invoice MT should retail at the range you quoted.
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:56   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not a matter of saving. It's a matter of mental budget.
Totally agree. I am sure you will enjoy this harley.

only point i want to mention is that there is a whole lot of 883 engines always on resale. Thats the reason i always urge in this thread to up your budget and get the first best harley in the line up the street bob.

The others though have the look and feel of the harley they dont really cut it post a point while the first twin cam 96 engine in the line up and that is twice the price of super low, yet will stay with you for ever.

THe more 883's i see for sale the more i feel people want to upgrade quite shortly.

Anyhoo, i am sure you will have loads of fun with any harley and wishing you all the good luck
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 22:25   #148
BHPian

Guess you are already leaning towards a HD but here's my 2 paisa. Super low is a tiny bike. As a 6 feeter ( I am and I tried) you will hardly fit in it. When it comes to HD - almost all of them touches all the speed bumps in Bangalore - can't comment on your city. I can vouch for this because the paid and attended HD Boot camp and came back utterly disappointed. There are expensive ways to increase the GC. But I agree with many here - its still a poser bike (or why do all HD riders wear open face helmet and wears nothing but HD gear).

I currently own a 2002 RE Tbird (one of the first models). Ridden over 90,000+km. No - it does not leak - nor it has ever broken down on the highway. But overall quality lot to be desired considering waiting period of over 10 months and costing almost Rs.2,00,000.

My dream bike is a Kawasaki KLR 650 (dual sports) but not yet sold in India. Nearest alternate in BMW F650 (700/800) GS but too expensive becoz of BMW brand + CBU. last resort is a Hero Impulse. Surprisingly it very well suited for tall riders and a comfort in bad roads (and 40+ too). But as of now it is a city limit bike till Hero decides to plonk the Karizma engine in it.

So I too will suggest Kawasaki Ninja 650. Close riding buddy bought one recently and very satisfied with it

Last edited by rockyb : 25th August 2013 at 22:31. Reason: spell check
rockyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:38   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Super low is a tiny bike. As a 6 feeter ( I am and I tried) you will hardly fit in it. When it comes to HD - almost all of them touches all the speed bumps in Bangalore - can't comment on your city.
If you are calling a 260kg 2.2m bike 'tiny', I don't know what you would call your 2002 RE Thunderbird! or even the 211kg 2.1m Ninja 650! It may be 'tiny' compared to the V-rods but not compared to whats running on Indian roads. And yes, I have now taken a extensive road test to vouch for that statement. I have fitted in it quite comfortably. Yes, its also 'superlow' but as I said before, none my 10 Harley mates in Meerut have had major issues on their drives here. And 2 of them own the Superlow. And as I have said before I have already paid advance for the bike, so its just a matter of time before I get my hands on it, whether its the 2013 or the 2014 model, that's a point of contention.

---------------

Getting back on topic, I received today by courier this beautifully crafted '880 pages!!' Motor Parts and Accessories Book from Harley Davidson. Must be worth at least a thousand bucks. And I am really quite intrigued to see the details and extent to which Harley has gone to provide the customer a 'total' experience. I am getting taste of what's to come...

Name:  Harley Davidson Motor Parts and Accessories Book_1.jpg
Views: 2742
Size:  543.9 KB

Name:  Harley Davidson Motor Parts and Accessories Book_2.jpg
Views: 2686
Size:  529.0 KB
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 17:14   #150
Senior - BHPian

The Eagle has landed... Mfg. 08/13

Name:  My Harley_1.jpg