Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 11:55   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,025 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Bike looks good, is this owned by HD Dealer or by an individual?
The bike is of an individual (who also owns a A6 etc.) and parked in his bedroom. Last serviced in June'13, no warranty left, very infrequent driving, seems genuine (1100km) deal. Owner says no scratches, bumps anywhere. I was planning to start with 4L, wrap at max. 4.5?

What Bike? Ninja650 vs HD Superlow vs Duke390 vs Bullet500. Edit: HD Superlow it is !-harley-superlow_3-copy.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 5th August 2013 at 12:02.
dkaile is online now  
Old 5th August 2013, 11:59   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The bike is of an individual (who also owns a A6 etc.) and parked in his bedroom. Last serviced in June'13, no warranty left
Nice Steal if its owned by an individual, please go ahead with the deal sir. Just a quick query, apart from the screaming eagles has he retained the stock air filter? Generally people make it to Stage 1 by adding in a screaming eagles kit which includes the silencers & air filter with a different map.

But nevertheless ensure you ride the bike before sealing the deal. Notice the bike if it drags or pulls you to a side, vibes are pretty much standard on the bike. Also check on the battery life. HD Batteries are reverse poled and are quite expensive to replace. Regular SBK bikes do not go well with it.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 12:29   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So that becomes one of my standard questions - damage repair cost to bring bike back to near normal. Especially since each side panel of the younger sibling, the Ninja 250 would cost you around 25K.

On the Ninja 650, a standing fall at rest could put you back by about 30-35K.

Going down on the move, depending on your speed, would set you back by around 75K to 1.15L.
Best bet is to buy a zero or nil depreciation top up cover from the insurance co.

I have this top up from Oriental Insurance for my 250R and it can be availed till the 5th year insurance renewal.

Only a mandatory deductible is payable by the owner in case of a claim and no depreciation is calculated on the rubber, plastic and other parts.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:04   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Best bet is to buy a zero or nil depreciation top up cover from the insurance co.

I have this top up from Oriental Insurance for my 250R and it can be availed till the 5th year insurance renewal.

Only a mandatory deductible is payable by the owner in case of a claim and no depreciation is calculated on the rubber, plastic and other parts.
So you can convert your "normal" policy even mid-way into a zero dep one by availing of this "top-up"? Or do you need to wait for the next year's premium? How much extra does this cost over the normal policy?

Last edited by ebonho : 5th August 2013 at 13:05.
ebonho is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 13:10   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So you can convert your "normal" policy even mid-way into a zero dep one by availing of this "top-up"? Or do you need to wait for the next year's premium? How much extra does this cost over the normal policy?
There is no conversion doc. All you need to do is pay for the extra cover and the same is endorsed in the policy.

I'm not sure if it can be added mid-way into the policy. I personally don't see why not, since it can be pro-rated and endorsed accordingly, but maybe the policy and rules with the insurance co. is different.

For my bike i paid 1200 bucks for this top up cover, over and above the regular premium amount.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th August 2013 at 13:12. Reason: corrected the top up cover amount paid
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:57   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
For my bike i paid 1200 bucks for this top up cover, over and above the regular premium amount.
Adi,
Are you referring to the Oriental Insurance? Am skeptical if they will allow for a mid year top up since it does leave a lot of scope for gross mis-management. Anyways for SBK it is suggestible to have total cover for the peace of mind

You can also ensure the IDV is fixed to the highest possible rate.
ku69rd is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 15:18   #82
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

DKaile, the used Harley looks in superb condition. Considering it hasn't run much, how long has it been standing? Check the condition of the tyres, and get an experienced hand to test ride it before putting down money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Spoke to a Ninja 650 owner friend of mine last Saturday to get his ownership inputs. Buying a bike is one thing. Keeping it in top running condition and living with it is another.

If you ride, somewhere sometime you will go down. We all do.

So that becomes one of my standard questions - damage repair cost to bring bike back to near normal. Especially since each side panel of the younger sibling, the Ninja 250 would cost you around 25K.

On the Ninja 650, a standing fall at rest could put you back by about 30-35K.

Going down on the move, depending on your speed, would set you back by around 75K to 1.15L.
Doc, you are correct. Apart from being expensive to replace, the fairings, instrument cluster, radiator and coolant reservoir are not readily available in stock when you need them, and wait periods upto a month are common. But this is true for every import from every major manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Best bet is to buy a zero or nil depreciation top up cover from the insurance co.

I have this top up from Oriental Insurance for my 250R and it can be availed till the 5th year insurance renewal.

Only a mandatory deductible is payable by the owner in case of a claim and no depreciation is calculated on the rubber, plastic and other parts.
Agree with the zero-dep advantage. A few friends have had recent crashes and did not have to break the bank to get the bike back on the road. The wait period however, managed to keep them away from riding for longer than their physical recovery period.

Sriku
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 15:47   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,567
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

I am not sure you are going to get that harley at 4.5. Looks stock and definitely not a 4.5L bike

If you can get it for that price, blindly go ahead and buy it.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 16:07   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Spoke to a Ninja 650 owner friend of mine last Saturday to get his ownership inputs. Buying a bike is one thing. Keeping it in top running condition and living with it is another.

If you ride, somewhere sometime you will go down. We all do.

So that becomes one of my standard questions - damage repair cost to bring bike back to near normal. Especially since each side panel of the younger sibling, the Ninja 250 would cost you around 25K.

On the Ninja 650, a standing fall at rest could put you back by about 30-35K.

Going down on the move, depending on your speed, would set you back by around 75K to 1.15L.
I agree,but then have a look at this.
This a close friend's 650,and we ride out often, Me on CL5 and him on the ninja 650.This 650 has been used the way it should be,up in the hills as a tourer and track days on BIC.It has had a few falls while touring and on track as well,but it has held up pretty well,no broken parts apart from a few scratches,so plastics are pretty well built,and don't give up on each fall.
But if anything breaks,thats a different story
Attached Thumbnails
What Bike? Ninja650 vs HD Superlow vs Duke390 vs Bullet500. Edit: HD Superlow it is !-543657_348234588610342_967040517_n.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 17:28   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I agree,but then have a look at this.
This a close friend's 650,and we ride out often, Me on CL5 and him on the ninja 650.i
Wow appears that your friend is putting it to use the way it should be. From the front it looks likely to be a 2013 model, am i wrong in assuming that?

How is the bike performing on the run? Am sure on the track he would have gotten into an easy 200 considering no distractions. In the extreme conditions how did you guys manage the petrol?

Probably the only grouse that I might nurse for this bike is its poor mileage @ 20-21. (Considering its twin cylinder setup)
ku69rd is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 17:32   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Probably the only grouse that I might nurse for this bike is its poor mileage @ 20-21. (Considering its twin cylinder setup)
Most owners who are genuine bikers (as opposed to those who own the bike but do not really ride) claim 17-18 when riding the 650 like a 650 should be ridden.

When riding it in lesser bike mode (120-140 types), yes it does give 20-21.

Which means a realistic tank range of just about 250 odd kilometers, even with the 15.5-16 liter tank. And around 4.5 rupees to a kilometer.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th August 2013 at 17:34.
ebonho is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 17:38   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow appears that your friend is putting it to use the way it should be. From the front it looks likely to be a 2013 model, am i wrong in assuming that?

How is the bike performing on the run? Am sure on the track he would have gotten into an easy 200 considering no distractions. In the extreme conditions how did you guys manage the petrol?

Probably the only grouse that I might nurse for this bike is its poor mileage @ 20-21. (Considering its twin cylinder setup)
Nope its from the first lot a Sep 2011.
He got it used for a Song when it was 7 months old.
Performance is excellent,though managing 210kgs in Muck and Slush is not an easy task.Fuel isnt really a concern,as long as you fill her after every 200kms.
Mileage has been around 22-23kmpl,and pushing her to double ton is pretty easy,and she tops at around 215.And according to my friend,she is not really meant for the track,long open highways are her forte.
akshay4587 is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 17:52   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
From the front it looks likely to be a 2013 model, am i wrong in assuming that?
That's a 2011 model. The 2012 model has a new headlight cowl (different shape of headlights) and the 2013 has a black headlight cowl while the rest of the bike is green - two tone color scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Probably the only grouse that I might nurse for this bike is its poor mileage @ 20-21. (Considering its twin cylinder setup)
If ridden sedately at around 120-140, you can get around 22-23 kmpl which is not bad for a bike this size. If you do downshift often to make quick overtaking moves, the FE will drop. Roll on in 6th without downshifting and it will deliver quite a good FE. Of course, there is enough torque in 6th to pull the bike nicely to higher speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Mileage has been around 22-23kmpl,and pushing her to double ton is pretty easy,and she tops at around 215.And according to my friend,she is not really meant for the track,long open highways are her forte.
The 650 is best suited for the highways and 22 kmpl is pretty good too. Pretty close to the smaller sibling. I get 24kmpl on my 250R when i ride hard.
n_aditya is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 17:53   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Most owners who are genuine bikers (as opposed to those who own the bike but do not really ride) claim 17-18 when riding the 650 like a 650 should be ridden.
Sirji,
Honestly and practically if they were to ride the 650 they way it has to be, then trust me even 17-18 is just not feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Mileage has been around 22-23kmpl,and pushing her to double ton is pretty easy,and she tops at around 215.And according to my friend,she is not really meant for the track,long open highways are her forte.
Nice figures man, i guess he is being good enough with his right hand for a bike with that engine felt that 215 is not bad. How is the low end torque to laze around in the traffic? Does it pull clean from a low speeds like 50-60 in its top gear without any vibes?
ku69rd is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 18:02   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Sirji,
Honestly and practically if they were to ride the 650 they way it has to be, then trust me even 17-18 is just not feasible.

Nice figures man, i guess he is being good enough with his right hand for a bike with that engine felt that 215 is not bad. How is the low end torque to laze around in the traffic? Does it pull clean from a low speeds like 50-60 in its top gear without any vibes?
She is just perfect; low end is excellent for city conditions but I have ridden her only in Chandigarh and we do not have B2B traffic here.She pulls away cleanly from low revs in any gear. For me it's one of the perfect machine for Indian conditions.Some time down the line i am planning to get one if Ktm doesn't launch the 390 adventure.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 5th August 2013 at 18:05.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow! josepeter Superbikes & Imports 59 5th October 2015 21:04
Harley Davidson SuperLow to Super Glide Custom and now the Fat Boy Hammer & Anvil Superbikes & Imports 42 6th March 2014 19:17
Raffle : A Harley Davidson Superlow akshaymahajan Superbikes & Imports 12 1st October 2012 23:52
Harley-Davidson introduces SuperLow @ 5.5 lacs!!!!!! wanderluster Superbikes & Imports 68 19th March 2012 18:21
Lean Burn Bullet500 amitoj Motorbikes 26 1st February 2006 17:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks